JLU "Question Authority" Talkback (Spoilers!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

JLU "Question Authority" Talkback (Spoilers!)

Post by JME2 »

Original Airdate - June 25th, 2005

The Question discovers a secret that threatens to shake the very foundations of the Justice League.

As always, please wait until the episode airs in your respective timezone before commenting. Other than that, enjoy the show... :)
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

How kick ass was that! This show just getting better. They really make it hard to see the good guys making it out on top with this story arc. Good job. A quick question about the Question. Is that really his face, or a mask of some sort? How the hell does he eat?
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

spongyblue wrote:How kick ass was that! This show just getting better. They really make it hard to see the good guys making it out on top with this story arc. Good job. A quick question about the Question. Is that really his face, or a mask of some sort? How the hell does he eat?
It's a mask, bound to his face by a gaseous chemical.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Joe wrote:
spongyblue wrote:How kick ass was that! This show just getting better. They really make it hard to see the good guys making it out on top with this story arc. Good job. A quick question about the Question. Is that really his face, or a mask of some sort? How the hell does he eat?
It's a mask, bound to his face by a gaseous chemical.
And how did that happen? (but more importantly, how does he eat?)

Kick-ass episode btw, Cpt. Atom vs. Superman looks to be nasty
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Supes will clober Captain Atom by blinking in his general direction. But i'll still be cool to watch.

This was a very interesting episode. It does indeed tie together a lot of plot threads, i think they're comming to the end of this story arc as it seems to be reaching a point where some conflict will happen.

The 'human' heroes versus the 'superhuman' heroes it appears.

My favorite line: Luthor's "Do you know much power i'd have to give up to be President?" :lol:
Kanye West Saves.

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Shit, meet fan. Get to know each other.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

And how did that happen? (but more importantly, how does he eat?)
I think he affixes it to his face on his own, but knows how to remove it whenever he needs to.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Does the Question have any powers besides having no visible face and being nuts? I'm not familiar with him at all.

Wonder what Captain Atom's response was when his first order after being recommissioned was to make sure his former teammate didn't escape his torture session.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

This was a great episode. I'm surprised to see Superman willing to bend the rules so much. If Batman ever finds out, the shit will really hit the fan. Question was awesome, as usual. I love how the writers actually managed to put some stuff about water fluoridation in. Everything under the crackpot sun somehow manages to end up in Question's mouth.

BTW, is it just me or was the one-and-done Supes and Captain Atom were fighting in the opening an Electro clone?

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Trogdor wrote:Does the Question have any powers besides having no visible face and being nuts? I'm not familiar with him at all.
As explained to me, he has a supernatural ability to see the 'links' between things; it's why he's a conspiracy nut. Sort of an intuitive ability to look at something that happened, look at someone, and know they were involved. Of course, he's also crazy, so.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Does the Question have any powers besides having no visible face and being nuts? I'm not familiar with him at all.
He has no superpowers whatsoever. He's apparently a highly-skilled hand-to-hand fighter, not Bats strong but pretty good.

edit: Apparently in the comics he at some point did some very strange drugs that gave him some weird powers similar to what Nitram described, but I wouldn't know much about it.

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Joe wrote:
He has no superpowers whatsoever. He's apparently a highly-skilled hand-to-hand fighter, not Bats strong but pretty good.

edit: Apparently in the comics he at some point did some very strange drugs that gave him some weird powers similar to what Nitram described, but I wouldn't know much about it.
Thanks. Hand-to-hand fighter, huh? Wouldn't know it from the way Luthor manhandled him. Seems something's given Lex superpowers of his own. Think it was that vest or his continually messing with kryptonite?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Thanks. Hand-to-hand fighter, huh? Wouldn't know it from the way Luthor manhandled him. Seems something's given Lex superpowers of his own. Think it was that vest or his continually messing with kryptonite?
Yeah, there's no way a normal human could do some of the stuff Lex did. I don't know what gave him the powers, though (only started following JLU at the third season).

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Joe wrote:BTW, is it just me or was the one-and-done Supes and Captain Atom were fighting in the opening an Electro clone?
I believe that's Manthis, one of Darkseid's lackeys. He appears to be on Earth as a result of trying to escape the Civil War that's consumed Apokolips since Darkseid's apparent death (as seen in Twilight and Ties that Bind. I can't help but wonder if this means that old 'seid will be showing up in Season 5.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Trogdor wrote:
Joe wrote:

Oooh! Oooh! I know! 8)

But I can't tell you, that'd be spoiling it! :twisted:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

So, my dear friends, we are witnessing the beginning of the end of the Cadmus arc.

Thus far, the best episode of the season -- even better thanThe Doomsday Sanction. The best part by far was the Superman/Hamilton confrontation and the fallout there. We could already deduce Hamilton's motivations thanks to Legacy, but here it's all confirmed. And for those that watched STAS and grew to like Hamilton as a character, this moment is made all the more powerful.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

It really got to me. What exactly did Supes do to Hamilton when Supergirl was hurt? Punch him?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

P.S.

Chilling line: I thought you were our guardian angel, but Lucifer was an angel, too.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:It really got to me. What exactly did Supes do to Hamilton when Supergirl was hurt? Punch him?
Supes essentially grabbed Hamilton by his collar and hoisted him up into the air when the good doctor refused to treat Kara since everyone thought they were in league with Darkseid.
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Ooh that episode was cool.. and more Question, yay! That guy doesn't get near as much screentime as I'd like.

Some fun conspiracy babble to..

"Secret messages encoded in amino acid chains in carb-free breakfast bars."
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I like the way Queston starts talking in clipped sentences and missing words when he finds the conspiracy out. Makes him sound just like Rorschach. (well, even more than usual)
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

What I think was the most powerful was how The Question planned to stop the chain of events: by killing Luthor himself. "Everyone knows I'm crazy, No one will blame the League. And Superman's Legacy will be intact."

Although strangling him with a Necktie? Even without Lex's sudden superstrength, I didn't see that working.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Considering that we're dealing with the Question here, his tie is probably made of a titanium based polymer or something. :)

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Did anyone else notice how Lex seemed to be as surprised about his sudden strength increase as Question?
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Vendetta wrote:Did anyone else notice how Lex seemed to be as surprised about his sudden strength increase as Question?
I know he was damn well surprised by the fact he isnt dying anymore, and so was i.

I wonder...mmm...and Manthis...

Could it be...APOKOLIPS!!1!1 :twisted:
Kanye West Saves.