WOTW Reviews All Good

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

WOTW Reviews All Good

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I've been following this movie for ages. I admit it, I'm a huge fan of anything to do with this story. But having been on IMDb.com for the past couple of weeks following the boards there (I know the place is full of 'tards, but this movie really does grab me more than even Episode III) I have been alarmed by all the "OMG! TOM CRUIZE IS A SCIANTOLOGIST!1!" and similar bullshit threads along with the retarded rating on the site which was up last week when not even those that saw previews could post reviews yet (loads of 10s from the pro-Spielberg crowd and loads of 1s from the anti-Cruise people).

So I'm happy when after getting every TV spot (all 17, more than any other movie I can imagine), trailer and so on that reviews like this arise and even critics that are incredibly hard to impress are giving 9/10 area marks.

I can't fucking wait to see this now, forget ID4, the OST which I have alone makes this sound like it'll come off as a real dark film.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Yeah, it looks good. Too bad Cruise had to make a jackass of himself in public, driving away potential viewers.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Joe wrote:Yeah, it looks good. Too bad Cruise had to make a jackass of himself in public, driving away potential viewers.
amen. I won't pay to see that cosmic space fundie in anything now. Fuck him and the high horse he rode in on.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Too bad, because Cruise can still act and I don't give a shit for what he does in his wacky personal life, nothing is going to stop me from enjoying a Spielberg movie of a Wells novel.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Too bad, because Cruise can still act and I don't give a shit for what he does in his wacky personal life, nothing is going to stop me from enjoying a Spielberg movie of a Wells novel.
Even if they did make the heat ray a plasma ray.
Still the alien invaders should look cool, I just hope they focuse on them slaughtering the humies rather than endless father-daughter dribble.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I can actually let that go, the heat-ray being visible rather than simply a shimmer of heat haze to indicate an IR laser or maser would confuse those that can't comprehend that such energy weapons are typically invisible. What I'm unsure of is if the Black Smoke is present, since I heard one producer say it was in (as is the Red Weed) and another say it wasn't.

And the film focuses on the family amid the backdrop of the invasion. That's the point. Remember, you won't be seeing famous landmarks blown up spectacularly here. It's Smalltown, USA with an average Joe as the observer. That's what makes it more real and haunting.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Cool to hear. For most part I don't care if Tom Cruise honestly went "My life for (insert random pointless deity, made up or otherwise)!!!". He's gotten paid, will get new deals and I don't care to deprive myself of a what likely is a great movie because some actor is a nutjob. His personal life, is his own.

This looks to be a great film, and an interesting look at War of the Worlds.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

I had the fortune of seeing an advance preview of the film last night, done by one of the local radio stations. To be honest, I felt it was fairly average. The special effects are, of course, amazing, but you really don't develop any sort of empathy for the characters whatsoever.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Curses, I wanted to see some war machines go down under a hail of 120mm main gun fire. :cry:

I love the Wells novel, don't get me wrong but I hate that "huge giant robot" is invulnerable ideal.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Too bad, because Cruise can still act and I don't give a shit for what he does in his wacky personal life, nothing is going to stop me from enjoying a Spielberg movie of a Wells novel.
I will probably see it also, but I can certainly understand why people are just fucking sick and tired of Tom Cruise wouldn't want to see it on the basis of his behavior.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Archaic` wrote:I had the fortune of seeing an advance preview of the film last night, done by one of the local radio stations. To be honest, I felt it was fairly average. The special effects are, of course, amazing, but you really don't develop any sort of empathy for the characters whatsoever.
So... it's like Minority Report?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

DPDarkPrimus wrote: So... it's like Minority Report?
No, it has a plot. What made you think that? :wink:

I'd not pay money to see it, but assuming they don't lay the "family" on thick and show the actual results of a Martian Invasion it looks like it's worth a few hours on Pay-Per-View.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Not much can get me to go to a cinema these days, but this year seems like a good 'un. Still not sure about something made by Speilberg, screenplayed by David Koepp and starring Tom Cruise and a Precocious Child, though. It sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Archaic` wrote:I had the fortune of seeing an advance preview of the film last night, done by one of the local radio stations. To be honest, I felt it was fairly average. The special effects are, of course, amazing, but you really don't develop any sort of empathy for the characters whatsoever.
From all the reviews I've read, it's the total opposite given this is drama/horror sci-fi rather than straight up blow-shit-up (not that it isn't full of action too.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:So... it's like Minority Report?
That would be a good way to describe it, yes.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Ah shit. I hated Minority Report.

Oh well, I guess I'll just wait for Serenity...
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Minority Report was a great film though with only one minor plot niggle, but otherwise great fun. I fail to see why one would avoid a movie that, so far, has been getting nothing but praise bar the ending which, unless you're not a true sci-fi fan, would already know of and not be surprised about.
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Ghost Rider wrote:Cool to hear. For most part I don't care if Tom Cruise honestly went "My life for (insert random pointless deity, made up or otherwise)!!!".
You mean there are deities that aren't made up? :P
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

His behavior in public recently wouldn't turn me off from seeing WotW, as it just hasn't reached that level of media overkill to the point where I'm simply sick and tired of seeing his face. The only instance of star overexposure turning me off from seeing a movie would have to be Mr. and Mrs. Smith, since every gossip rag in the country had spent the previous five months talking about Pitt's breakup with Jennifer and alleged affair with Angelina nonstop, as if anyone with an IQ greater than the average high temperature for a June day in Fairbanks gave a shit.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Minority Report was a great film
Let's not go overboard here, Ahhdmeeral. It was a good film, not a great film. :P
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi wrote:His behavior in public recently wouldn't turn me off from seeing WotW, as it just hasn't reached that level of media overkill to the point where I'm simply sick and tired of seeing his face. The only instance of star overexposure turning me off from seeing a movie would have to be Mr. and Mrs. Smith, since every gossip rag in the country had spent the previous five months talking about Pitt's breakup with Jennifer and alleged affair with Angelina nonstop, as if anyone with an IQ greater than the average high temperature for a June day in Fairbanks gave a shit.
It's gotten to the point with him that if I hadn't been looking forward to this movie for months, I probably wouldn't see it.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I'm looking forward to "War of the Worlds", so I'm willing to pay for it. I liked "Swordfish" too, even though John Travolta is every bit as batshit as Cruise it.

Of course, I does really gall me with Cruise going on national television decrying legitimate medicine (relatively) like that in favor of his idea that psychological problem are caused by dead space ghosts. That's every bit as bad as the yahoos who think that psychologic problems are caused by demons, they are just changing the names. That kind of pushes the limit of bizarre celebrity bullshit I'm willing to seperate from their professional lives.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Stofsk wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Minority Report was a great film
Let's not go overboard here, Ahhdmeeral. It was a good film, not a great film. :P
The difference being is, a good film can be bad on a second viewing. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Too bad the "period" version of WOTW that came out this month apparently was pretty crappy (and straight to DVD).

Then there's the "rip off" of Spielberg's version also lower budget (but also modern) and finally Jeff Wayne's CG version coming in a few years...

I'd like to catch the 80's TV series sometime.. is it out on DVD yet?

Ebert gave it 2 stars. He gave Land of the Dead 3. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions!
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Kurgan wrote:Too bad the "period" version of WOTW that came out this month apparently was pretty crappy (and straight to DVD).

Then there's the "rip off" of Spielberg's version also lower budget (but also modern) and finally Jeff Wayne's CG version coming in a few years...

I'd like to catch the 80's TV series sometime.. is it out on DVD yet?

Ebert gave it 2 stars. He gave Land of the Dead 3. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions!
Wow. Ebert didn't quite savage it, but he didn't have much good to say. Rotten Tomatoes is showing 91% fresh, but only has 35 reviews right now.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues