NGEvangelion coming to the mainstream

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

NGEvangelion coming to the mainstream

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Cartoon Network Acquires Neon Genesis Evangelon

"Anime News Network is reporting that Cartoon network will be airing All of Neon Genesis Evangelon. You can also read the Toon Zone speculation as well as some more."
slashy link
Nive :D, il'l finally be able to watch the show at tv level resolution and the first 9 episodes for the second time "evar". :wink:

I wonder which of the 3 ending's they'll show.
Also I hope they dont tone it/edit it down since that would suck ball's.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Xero Cool Down
Padawan Learner

Post by Xero Cool Down »

I see some serious editing in it. Even though it's adultswim...
@( !.! )@
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Xero Cool Down wrote:I see some serious editing in it. Even though it's adultswim...
Yes, lots of editing.

I never saw the first first seven episodes, so I was kind of lost when I saw the rest of it. I never got what the "Second Impact" was. :)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Noble Ire wrote: Yes, lots of editing.
I never saw the first first seven episodes, so I was kind of lost when I saw the rest of it. I never got what the "Second Impact" was. :)
Massive Spoilage:

First impact was Adam destroying the dinosaur's 4 billion years ago.

Second was Adam (the first angel) being awoken by Katsuragis fathers expedition to the Antarctic and flooding the earth.

Third was all of humanity turning into bio-goo in the movie ending because of Shinji Ikari agreeing to it and Rei merging with Lilith
Last edited by The Grim Squeaker on 2005-07-03 05:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Third was all of humanity turning into bio-goo in the movie ending
That sounds like a really sucky ending. :?

Note: What I did for the spoilers, you should have done as well. :wink:
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

Yeah, I caught this on Evamonkey earlier today.

It really all depends on what version ADV decide to air. If they actually decide to go with japanese dialouge and english subs, then sure, it's not that bad, even if it is amazingly unlikely that they'll do that.

But they'll most likely go with the dub of DOOM. And I'll, uh, probably have to go pound some more nails into my forehead. Or just not watch it, I dunno.

EDIT- Shouldn't this be in OSF or FAN? :?
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

NGE was shown years ago on Sci-Fi over here completely unedited, but with the English dub which is horrid. Along with Blue Gender and Nadesico it made the bulk of the animé series on late at night and then repeated unedited around 1730 in the week as well. I hear a lot about the UK being heavy on censoring sometimes, but I know for a fact that the US is worse in many respects. We don't have Adult Swim here, but I assume they'd show the stuff next to the original format as possible when on late.
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Yay. As a lover of all things Eva and Angel-related, I'm excited. It'll be airing on Adult Swim? That's good, they'll be able to get away with less editing, hopefully. When CN aired the first 2 episodes on Toonami a while back, I nearly had a fit when they edited out Eva-01's blood. I mean, of course we have to protect the little kiddies, but this is one rare time in which the gratuitous gore is actually an important plot point! FWAARRRGH!!

Oh, and as the dub goes, the absolute worst part of it are the Evas' voices. Watch the last scene of dubbed episode 19 and try not to cringe. Ugh.
Last edited by felineki on 2005-07-03 05:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Uh...how is the blood an "important plot point?"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The English dub is by far the worst dub for any animé in that language. Only the Finnish Digimon dubs beat it.
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:Uh...how is the blood an "important plot point?"
Because at this point, by all indications, the Eva is a robot. How often do robots bleed?
Faabio
Padawan Learner

Post by Faabio »

Hmm Evangelion aired here in Finland on a channel called Subtv with original voices etc and Finnish subtitles. and well the only anime series shown here on tv are DargonballZ or Sailormoon, so to show evangelion was quite a suprise for us fans i think. now that it ended they're showing some of the episodes director's cut versions. And it was shown late at night so it was unedited too.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

felineki wrote:
Because at this point, by all indications, the Eva is a robot. How often do robots bleed?
They are not robot's, they are biological being's that have been partialy lobotomized by human's. (A rough summary, I know :wink: )
Photography
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

felineki wrote:
:banghead: Goddamit. It totally didn't occur to me that that mght be what you were on about.
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

the .303 bookworm wrote:They are not robot's, they are biological being's that have been partialy lobotomized by human's. (A rough summary, I know :wink: )
Yes, I of all people would know that (hell, I've practically majored in Eva anatomy). The point is that the show initially presents them as robots, and gradually this illusion is shattered. It is an integral part of the story, and shouldn't be screwed around with. The blood coming from Eva-01's head in episode 2 is the first indication that it is -not- a robot, and removing it greatly decreases the impact of the entire scene.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

It's the goddamn dub. Doesn't freaking matter if it's unedited or not, it's the dub, which is a sin against Lillin and Angel alike.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

It could be rationalized that it was hydraulic fluid, but that's a stretch. The whole eye scene really sways it anyway.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

the .303 bookworm wrote: Massive Spoilage:

First impact was Adam destroying the dinosaur's.
Second was Adam (the first angel) being awoken by Katsuragis father and flooding the earth.
Third was all of humanity turning into bio-goo in the movie ending
First Impact occurred 4 billion years ago, coinciding with the arrival of Lilith's Black Moon and Adam's White Moon.

Oh, and while the dub is certainly atrocious in its poor characterization (nobody sounds their age, most overract and omit entire personality aspects, while tertiary characters sound straight out of a bad Godzilla dub. And Spike Spencer is a bastard.) and glaring translation errors (I have no idea why the fucked up the explanation of unit-01's probability of activation. Don't omit stuff just for a pun, dumb fucks...), I actually wouldn't call it the worst. Escaflowne has an entire lineup of indistinguishably dull voices reading their lines like its a radio program, and Love Hina is simply inexcusable.

ADV is really only good at dubbing in a technical sense. Every project is just more training for their ADR people to do what's treated as a purely technical task. In terms of performance, they set themselves up to train a crew good at dubbing, not good at acting.
By His Word...
zannal
Redshirt

Post by zannal »

Sorry for my asking, I havent seen the series (I do know the major plot though so dont worry for spoilers or any thing) but what would they edit out, especially since it is being shown on Adult Swilm?
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

zannal wrote:Sorry for my asking, I havent seen the series (I do know the major plot though so dont worry for spoilers or any thing) but what would they edit out, especially since it is being shown on Adult Swilm?
I really don't know. Given what some of the other shows on Adult Swim get away with, I'd say they probably could air it completely unedited, but they'll probably do some editing anyway.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. This is going to suck balls, I just know it. I remember when they aired Eva on Toonami. Holy shit that was a bad dub. I would venture to say that it is in fact worse than Love Hina.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Re: NGEvangelion coming to the mainstream

Post by Utsanomiko »

*Re-reads OP*
the .303 bookworm wrote: I wonder which of the 3 ending's they'll show.
Also I hope they dont tone it/edit it down since that would suck ball's.
Waitaminnut, three endings? The TV series last 2 eps + the Movie = two endings, there's no third and technically the movie overrides the TV's rushed finale (which had to be re-written. The original script was much closer to what EoE encompassed).

Dunderhead...
By His Word...
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Manga's got a totally unrelated ending, I do believe.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

That has yet to be determined, as the last ~3 volumes have yet to be produced.

Which would still be irrelevant, as I do believe you can't show a Manga on TV. :P
By His Word...
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Utsanomiko wrote: Which would still be irrelevant, as I do believe you can't show a Manga on TV. :P
But you can get manga on the PSP now!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.