Constructive criticism wanted: TIE design, "Zwei"

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Van Owen
Redshirt

Constructive criticism wanted: TIE design, "Zwei"

Post by Van Owen »

This is a design I came up with while looking at a pic of a TIE Bomber. It is inspired by the WWII Twin Mustang--I was thinking of how Lucas used some WWII designs for inspiration, and ended up kitbashing the above pic.

I imagined this as a long range fighter/recon platform, capable of being fitted with a hyperdrive, though it usually isn't. Power is provided by 3 Twin Ion Engines, and armament is 6 laser cannon, though some models have 4 laser cannon, and 2 ion cannon. The ship seats a pilot and a gunner/Recon Systems Operator. Because systems such as targeting are shared between two cockpits, there is a little more room inside, which has been used to give the pilot better visibility. This is my first attempt to create a custom craft, and I have no SW gaming experience, so this design may break rules somewhere. I'm open to suggestions.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Umm.. looks like a slimer Tie-Bomber with three engines. The idea of multiple Lasers is ok, you could have an extremely slimed down gunship here.

But realy you have omsething less along the lines of a WWII Twin Mustang and more along the lines of a Germand BF110, big slow, but LOTS of guns.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Van Owen
Redshirt

Weapons.

Post by Van Owen »

I had originally intended for it to have eight laser cannon, but I was worried about all that weight, and power requirements. I forgot to note, the design is supposed to come with a shield generator.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Weapons.

Post by Mr Bean »

Van Owen wrote:I had originally intended for it to have eight laser cannon, but I was worried about all that weight, and power requirements. I forgot to note, the design is supposed to come with a shield generator.
Ah, then in that case it does make sense except prehaps the dual cockpit is not nessary, merge/shorten the distance between the two, most people are going to look at that and say, oh its a Tie-Bomber, The Electronic-warefare guy does not need his own cockpit, he does not need to see through a window of any kind, the pilot can handle that just fine.

But the idea itself is novel prehaps even effective, a pocket gunship slash Jammer/Sensor craft

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Van Owen
Redshirt

Post by Van Owen »

Each cockpit is mounting its own Twin Ion Engine--what is connecting the two cockpits together is another Twin Ion Engine, so the other cockpit was a natural fit, if there was to be another person onboard. The gunner/RSO also has a rudimentary set of back-up flight controls, in case something goes wrong on the pilot's side, which is one reason he has windows. One of the benefits of the design is it is supposed to fit on the same storage/launch racks as the TIE Bomber.
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

Wait a minute... you just described a TIE X-1 Starfighter! Curved wings, sheilds, 6 blaster cannons... All it needs is a hyperdrive.

On the origional drawing, why do you need more weapons on a scouting craft? also, why two cockpits? I find that a bit unnesseary. I mean, sure it gets boring and you need someone to talk to, but... :P
WWDD What would dogbert do?