Major incident occuring on the London Underground.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Talks about combatting global warming and African relief, I think.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Stupid question: What was happening at the G8? Why would it be a target?
The leaders of the 8 most powerful and riches countries in the world gathering for a conference. I'd say that's a mighty juicy target for Tango.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Stupid question: What was happening at the G8? Why would it be a target?
Leaders of the the 8 wealthiest nations in the world and Russia, meeting with the leaders of other nations and Kofi Anan on strategies to combat world poverty.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
zippy
Youngling

Post by zippy »

kheegan wrote:
ALI_G wrote:What do you think the respose will be from the Lib Dems and other left wing parties now? Will their position on Iraq now have to change in response to public outrage? Or will Labour take a hit as people blame this on our support for Bush and his policies?
I have serious doubts that this would have happened if Blair hadn't went into Iraq against the opinions of both his own party and the majority of the population. The question is: how many people think the same?
That is kind of irrelevant,however. I think Iraq was a mistake, I still do and will continue to denounce it as a mistake. Having said that, this is a different issue and fully expect Al Quaida to experience the same outcome as the INLA did after the Mountbatten assassination.

Also, please note, in the UK it is not just the left wing liberals who disagreed with the war in Iraq. I am a Thatcherite
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Bush is making a statement now - he 'appreciates' Blairs strength in going to London. Bush in talks with American homeland security. Be 'extra vigilant' in America. 'Vivid' difference between G8 people trying to stop poverty and in London terrorists killing innocent people.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Well, the leaders of the most powerful and wealthy nations on Earth and now rightfully pissed so...someone is going to be paying up for this shit.
Kanye West Saves.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Seriously, what fucking terrorist mastermind thought it would be a good idea to crap in the UKs backyard when all the fucking leaders of the G8 are standing around ready to be pissed off about it as well.

Having them all there to get pissed about it all at once - FUCK...
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

It's less likely that the G-8 was a target in and of itself and more likely that a sleeper cell decided to attack London during the G-8 based on the obvious supposition that with all the British security services focused on protecting the conference, security in London would be weakened.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

weemadando wrote:Seriously, what fucking terrorist mastermind thought it would be a good idea to crap in the UKs backyard when all the fucking leaders of the G8 are standing around ready to be pissed off about it as well.

Exposure. The worlds media are all in the UK at the moment - it is their attempt at saying that the war on terror is still not over.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

"We shall prevail, and they shall not." - Tony Blair

That surely sent chills down my spine...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

ALI_G wrote:Bush is making a statement now - he 'appreciates' Blairs strength in going to London. Bush in talks with American homeland security. Be 'extra vigilant' in America. 'Vivid' difference between G8 people trying to stop poverty and in London terrorists killing innocent people.
It was a good speach, no BS, just "be strong".
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

ALI_G wrote:
weemadando wrote:Seriously, what fucking terrorist mastermind thought it would be a good idea to crap in the UKs backyard when all the fucking leaders of the G8 are standing around ready to be pissed off about it as well.

Exposure. The worlds media are all in the UK at the moment - it is their attempt at saying that the war on terror is still not over.
They could have done that without having people in the first world crapping their pants when they see the looks on the collected faces of 90% of the worlds real militaries commanders in chief... Can you imagine what people in the fucking middle east were thinking when they saw those images? Start digging more bunkers and graves, because they know whats coming...
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

London mayor making good speech, I just realized he's stuck in Singopore.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

No wonder al-Jazeera is condemning this. If they so much as hinted at this being a good thing, the G8 alone would end their existence.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

I just can't see how this will result in an increase in military action in the ME. We have done all we can - apart from a few British troops in Bashra being harsher on shady looking individuals, I don't see how things will change.
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

World outlook, more support from some countries perhaps.

Its Ace Pace.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

The Archbishop of Canterbury is making a statement now from York.
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:No wonder al-Jazeera is condemning this. If they so much as hinted at this being a good thing, the G8 alone would end their existence.
Everyone seems to be assuming that al-Jazeera is al-Qaeda's mouthpiece. It is not. Their coverage might seem slightly pro-terrorist at times but that's because that's the general opinion in the middle east.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

That station has in the past been seen as something of a biased source at times, and they have never outright attacked such incidents like this in the past, even with the WTC attacks even.
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

150+ seriously wounded, Official.

Its Ace Pace.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

ALI_G wrote:I just can't see how this will result in an increase in military action in the ME. We have done all we can - apart from a few British troops in Bashra being harsher on shady looking individuals, I don't see how things will change.
You can change a WHOLE helluva lot...

Australia has been debating whether to recommit forces in Afghanistan and continue commitments in Iraq. Consider those commitments confirmed. British numbers will no doubt be bolstered. By the look on Chirac's face there is going to be a decent amount of French action (most likely the DGSE getting down and dirty in North Africa and the Middle East). Putin as previously mentioned looks like he's already ordered the death squads into action. The "two wars" capability which the US military is looking at reinstating just got a MASSIVE boost to Congressional support. JSDF personnel in Iraq aren't going to be going anywhere, despite previous overtones of potential withdrawal...

Its the equivalent of having your balls in the tigers mouth and then pulling its fucking tail. You can bet your fucking house on the fact that the War on Terror (TM) just got a whole new lease of life and a shitload more backing.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Here is the translated message from AQ claiming responsibility. This was copied from Wikipedia:

---

"The Secret Organization Group of Al-Qa'idah of Jihad Organization in Europe (Jama'at al-Tanzim al-Sirri, Tanzim Qa'idat al-Jihad fi Urupa)

In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and the dauntless fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.

O nation of Islam and nation of Arabism: Rejoice for it is time to take revenge from the British Zionist Crusader government in retaliation for the massacres Britain is committing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The heroic mujahidin have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern and western quarters.

We have repeatedly warned the British government and people. We have fulfilled our promise and carried out our blessed military raid in Britain after our mujahidin exerted strenuous efforts over a long period of time to ensure the success of the raid.

We continue to warn the governments of Denmark and Italy and all the Crusader governments that they will be punished in the same way if they do not withdraw their troops from Iraq and Afghanistan. He who warns is excused.

God says: " (O ye who believe!) If ye will aid (the cause of) Allah, He will aid you, and plant your feet firmly."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Apparently the double decker with the roof gone was a suicide bomb.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Oh look, religious zealots, colour me unsurprised.

Their ignorance and arrogance knows no bounds it seems.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Any updates on the reports that the Israeli embassy got a "5 minute warning" on this?