Major incident occuring on the London Underground.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Peregrin Toker wrote:I know this probably isn't very porbable, but how would the al-Qaeda respond if the EU did the unthinkable and quarantined/arrested all Muslims? Would it deter the AQ, or just make them even angrier?
There are several Muslims in Britain alone, the vast majority of them moderates. Just how the hell would it be possible to arrest them all?
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Sorry...make that several MILLION Muslims.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I know this probably isn't very porbable, but how would the al-Qaeda respond if the EU did the unthinkable and quarantined/arrested all Muslims? Would it deter the AQ, or just make them even angrier?
They are'nt really doing what's in the best long term interests of their people anyway, if something like that happened (not a chance in a frozen hell) then they would go even more insane than they are now.

It would increase terror support by a factor and start bombings on a daily basis.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
ClaysGhost
Jedi Knight

Post by ClaysGhost »

Archaic` wrote: From that picture and others, it looks to me like something was left under the seats at the back of that top level, where it'd be least likely to be discovered quickly. If it was a suicide bomb, I would have expected a blast in the middle or front of the bottom level, where it should be able to do more damage.
That's the bus that rolled to a halt outside the offices of the British Medical Association. Cue massive medical response!
(3.13, 1.49, -1.01)
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Well like a lot of Brits I'm sure I had my moment of Oh Crap, my Brother and his wife live and work in london. As I'm at home at the moment I was asked to do the Phone around to try and contact him. Network down, the Oh Crap moment what is going on... One of the the worst moments, on an intellectual level I was sure he was alright, but your mind plays funny tricks...

As it is My Sister in Law was litterally two or three minutes away from this, a Train she was getting had just pulled out of the station and left the area when this all occured....

But so far everyone I know in London is fine, still havn't heard back from one of my friends but he rides his Bike to the Uni he attends and dosn't go near where all this occured so he should be fine. His Network was just one of the ones down.

Now to make sure we get the fuckers and do it right.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Archaic` wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote: Do you have one that quality with all the leaders?
Not quite that quality, but better than the one I posted earlier.
That's one blank image, there.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Tiger Ace wrote:
But whats with the police denying there were last minute alerts to the subway stations to evacuate?

And from Israeli news, we did not get prior warning beyond what any other nation got. I.E nil.
From what I heard it sounded more like the reports indicated the the Israeli embassy got the equivalent of the old "codeword" call just before the event. Not that they actually got any real warning.

But if that has been disproved...
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

ClaysGhost wrote:
Archaic` wrote: From that picture and others, it looks to me like something was left under the seats at the back of that top level, where it'd be least likely to be discovered quickly. If it was a suicide bomb, I would have expected a blast in the middle or front of the bottom level, where it should be able to do more damage.
That's the bus that rolled to a halt outside the offices of the British Medical Association. Cue massive medical response!
Not likely...it'll be a bunch of admin types in there.

I just realised something ironic... the BMA offices is in Tavistock Sq. In the middle of Tavistock Sq there sits a statue of Gandhi, and IIRC he's directly facing the BMA offices.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Passive resistance eh?
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

DEFINANTLY three explosions on the tube and one on the bus. Not seven.

Source - ITV outside Scotland Yard.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
spikenigma
Village Idiot

Post by spikenigma »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Do you have one that quality with all the leaders?
if one appears on TV I'll try and get one...
There is no knowledge that is not power...
ClaysGhost
Jedi Knight

Post by ClaysGhost »

Peregrin Toker wrote:I know this probably isn't very porbable, but how would the al-Qaeda respond if the EU did the unthinkable and quarantined/arrested all Muslims? Would it deter the AQ, or just make them even angrier?
Eh? Isn't that the same order of daftness as arresting all Catholics to spite the IRA, or all the Protestants to annoy the UDA?
kheegan wrote: Not likely...it'll be a bunch of admin types in there.
Not what I heard, but I wasn't present.
(3.13, 1.49, -1.01)
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

weemadando wrote:
Tiger Ace wrote:
But whats with the police denying there were last minute alerts to the subway stations to evacuate?

And from Israeli news, we did not get prior warning beyond what any other nation got. I.E nil.
From what I heard it sounded more like the reports indicated the the Israeli embassy got the equivalent of the old "codeword" call just before the event. Not that they actually got any real warning.

But if that has been disproved...
If so it wasn't on the televised press conferance Shalom did, nor on the goverment TV network.
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Archaic` wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote: Do you have one that quality with all the leaders?
Not quite that quality, but better than the one I posted earlier.
That's one blank image, there.
Whoops. Forgot about the anti-leach protection there. Should've checked my c/p before I posted.

Try this
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

spikenigma wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Do you have one that quality with all the leaders?
if one appears on TV I'll try and get one...
If you can get it, look for Tony's second conference (where you got that 'Big 3' picture). There's only one image out on that so far, and its a crappy GIF of someone's TV screen.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

My sympathies go out to all Londoners and anyone who has loved ones there. Hopefully they were spared this horrible act of terror.
18-Till-I-Die wrote:Well, the leaders of the most powerful and wealthy nations on Earth and now rightfully pissed so...someone is going to be paying up for this shit.
Yes, if the current trend holds, we'll be bombing and occupying Paraguay in no time. They had nothing to do with the attacks, have no WMDs and don't harbor terrorists. They're practically asking for it.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

ClaysGhost wrote:
Eh? Isn't that the same order of daftness as arresting all Catholics to spite the IRA, or all the Protestants to annoy the UDA?
I just get the impression that Islam is a far more polarized religion than Christianity - there appears to be a lot of fundies and a few muslims-in-name-only, with only a few actual moderates.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
zippy
Youngling

Post by zippy »

ALI_G wrote:Here is the translated message from AQ claiming responsibility. This was copied from Wikipedia:

---

"...

The heroic mujahidin have carried out a blessed raid in London. Britain is now burning with fear, terror and panic in its northern, southern, eastern and western quarters....

"
Is it me or is Comical Ali alive and well
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

The Madrid bombings were carried out by a small cell with little direct connections to AQ. I doubt these attacks can be directly linked to any 'sponsor of terrorism' nations, Iraqi or Afghan insurgents, or any other organisation against which conventional armed forces would be effective.

As it is, there was a group of British Muslim extremists who were threatening to disrupt the elections in May. I'd expect nutters like that to be responsible.
ClaysGhost
Jedi Knight

Post by ClaysGhost »

Peregrin Toker wrote: I just get the impression that Islam is a far more polarized religion than Christianity - there appears to be a lot of fundies and a few muslims-in-name-only, with only a few actual moderates.
I think this impression is generated because "Muslim fails to kill hundreds of people during his journey into work" makes poor news. If a significant fraction of the Muslims in Britain were nutters, this kind of incident would be a daily occurrence. Obviously, they aren't.
(3.13, 1.49, -1.01)
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Durandal wrote:*snip*
I'm sorry, but did I hear someone whining?

Paraguay is safe, so don't start dumping your currency holdings yet.

In the meantime, the Australian debate on whether or not to recommit troops to Afghanistan is as good as over and our troops in Iraq are likely to be reinforced. I can't see the WoT spreading, but I can sure as shit see it getting a shot in the arm.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

weemadando wrote:

In the meantime, the Australian debate on whether or not to recommit troops to Afghanistan is as good as over and our troops in Iraq are likely to be reinforced. I can't see the WoT spreading, but I can sure as shit see it getting a shot in the arm.
What the fuck does Iraq have to do with Al Qaeda? Oh, that's right, nothing.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Peregrin Toker wrote:
ClaysGhost wrote:
I just get the impression that Islam is a far more polarized religion than Christianity - there appears to be a lot of fundies and a few muslims-in-name-only, with only a few actual moderates.
I don't think I've ever met any muslim I wouldn't class as a moderate...

Most of them are happy enough with the basic "restrictions" of their religion and don't feel that they're lifestyles are that cramped by them.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Since I don't think it's been posted, for anyone who's interested, here's the BBC Radio Five Live stream. Windows Media format.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Flagg wrote:
weemadando wrote:

What the fuck does Iraq have to do with Al Qaeda? Oh, that's right, nothing.
It HAD nothing to do with AQ. Now, unfortunately, due to the wonderful foresight displayed, it is a steaming fucking cesspool of "international terrorism".