Major incident occuring on the London Underground.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Lord Pounder wrote:Sky News are currently confirming "at least 33 Fatalities in 4 seperate blasts"
The Madrid bombings occured at roughly the same time, yet by lunchtime the deathtoll was already over 80. I hope this means that the eventual death toll will be proportionately lower at least.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

To the bombers: :finger:

To everyone in London: my condolences; I hope you are all okay.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

I wonder what will happen to all the kids stuck in school without parents to take them home because they can't get to them by bus/car/tube/whatever? Will teachers be made to look after them all night?
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Unsurprisingly, the alert level has been raised.
Reuters wrote:WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is raising the terrorist threat level for rail and mass transit systems, but not for airlines, after the bomb blasts that rocked London, a U.S. government official said on Thursday.

The official said the alert level for trains and subways would be raised to orange, which signifies a high risk of terrorist attack, from yellow, the mid-point on the five-point color-coded system.

Michael Chertoff, the secretary of homeland security, plans to hold a news conference at 11:45 a.m. EDT to discuss the bombings in London and give an update about domestic protective measures.

The terrorism alert level was last raised in August last year to orange for the financial services sector in New York City, northern New Jersey and Washington D.C., based on intelligence that al Qaeda was targeting specific buildings. It was lowered back to yellow on Nov. 10, 2004.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Glimmervoid wrote:Its ban enough (terrible) that they attacked London but why do it during the G8 a conference that could be a very important step to getting rid of poverty in Africa that’s is another 3000(I think it is 3000) deaths a day that could be there fault.

Its terrible but some sick psychopaths will do, what possible reason can some one what for attacking trains? I hope my cousins ok.
I think it's 50,000

Not that the bombers care, as long as they can kill infidel zionist crusaders it's all good as far as they're concerned :evil: :evil: :kill:
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Glimmervoid wrote:Its ban enough (terrible) that they attacked London but why do it during the G8 a conference that could be a very important step to getting rid of poverty in Africa that’s is another 3000(I think it is 3000) deaths a day that could be there fault.

Its terrible but some sick psychopaths will do, what possible reason can some one what for attacking trains? I hope my cousins ok.
Probably because they don't a shit about the poor and the G8 provides a perfect opportunity to disrupt talks among world leaders, increase paranoia, security, etc. As discussed earlier on the thread, the fear now is more attacks, especially in England with the G8 summit still being held.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Blair press conference:

- COBRA just issued Blair a full report. Announcements will be made with regards to reopening transport ASAP.
- Blair sends best wishes to victims and rescue services.
- 'Most intense' police and security action will now take place to bring killers to justice.
- Blair issues tribute to people of London + Muslim council of GB. Reiterates that 'vast majority' of Muslims do not support this terror.
- Through terrorism these people display their way of life. We would display ours - by getting on with our lives as normal.
- 'We will not be intimidated. We will not be changed. We will not be divided and our resolve will hold firm ... our values will long outlast theirs ... we will not be terrorised.'
- Reitteration of feeling of sorrow. 'Very sad day' for British people. 'We will hold true to our way of life.'
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

Because they're hate filled religious nuts who care more about the next world than this one, to people like that any amount of suffering is justified if it achieves their ideological goals.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Whew, we've heard from all of our London-area employees and everyone is fine ... our thoughts are with everyone in the UK today.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I didn't read through the thread, because I needed to ask like now.

WHERE'S RYE?
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Liberal Conservative side issue split off. Please keep in mind that my warning was not in jest. Let us maintain this thread to discuss the tragedy in London and not get sidetracked in local or side issues. You want to discuss whether Conservatives or liberals are to blame start your own thread or post in the one in the HOS.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

If these guys think the way Spain caved means they can successfully push around the Brits with shit like this, well, they're due to be disappointed...
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Apparently the UN security council has passed a resolution condemming the attacks.
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

Chardok wrote:I didn't read through the thread, because I needed to ask like now.

WHERE'S RYE?
Alive and Well.
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Chardok wrote:I didn't read through the thread, because I needed to ask like now.

WHERE'S RYE?
|He lives in Bolton which is pretty far away from London, also IIRC he posted a few pages back.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Four stages of Expatriot British Grief.

1: Panic. 'THEY HIT LONDON?! IS EVERYONE OKAY?!'
2: Jingoistic outrage. 'You hit the wrong fuckers. If you hit us, you better kill every last one, because the rest will come and kill you!'
3: Gallows humour. 'Fuckin' Rudy can't catch a break, can he?'
4: Resolution. 'They can't shift a monolith of centuries with a little pissing in the wind.'

Gah, what a rollercoaster to wake up into.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Sadly, the death toll now officially stands at 37:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4661059.stm
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

That total also includes the first two officially announced deaths on the number 30 bus, btw.
BlkbrryTheGreat
BANNED

Post by BlkbrryTheGreat »

You're probably going to see a few more people expire from their wounds before the day ends. :cry:

At any rate, I hate to be the one to point this out, but this isn't a change in tactics for these Islamic Nutcases- it's simply a change in location; they've been suicide bombing civilians in Iraq for months now.
Devolution is quite as natural as evolution, and may be just as pleasing, or even a good deal more pleasing, to God. If the average man is made in God's image, then a man such as Beethoven or Aristotle is plainly superior to God, and so God may be jealous of him, and eager to see his superiority perish with his bodily frame.

-H.L. Mencken
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

BlkbrryTheGreat wrote:You're probably going to see a few more people expire from their wounds before the day ends. :cry:

At any rate, I hate to be the one to point this out, but this isn't a change in tactics for these Islamic Nutcases- it's simply a change in location; they've been suicide bombing civilians in Iraq for months now.
Well, they picked the wrong guys, because Brits are used to such tactics. In 1973 alone, there were apparently THIRTY-SIX incidents from the IRA.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Just catching back up with this...last i understand, 37 dead? and 1000+ wounded?

Oh shit that number will go up, the dead. It's only a matter of time.

I was reading about the G8, talking about trying to fight AIDS and poverty in Africa and i again just want to say this is more than tragic cause not only are scores of people dead but this is disrupting a very important conference.

Appearantly though no one had a clue, no warning, nada. This was well planned out...i'm tempted to say better than some religious fanatics could plan out.

My condolences and deepest sympathies to the people of London who lost loved ones today, and i hope and pray everyone else got home in one piece.
Kanye West Saves.

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Appearantly though no one had a clue, no warning, nada. This was well planned out...i'm tempted to say better than some religious fanatics could plan out.
I don't know what you are getting at, but the attacks don't seem particually amazing. Four guys set off bombs within an hour of each other, it's not rocket science. Indeed, considering the relatively 'low' casulties currently reported at the moment, and the worldwide outrage of the attack, I think it's quite clear it was a POOR attack considering what could have been done with four bombs. The terrorists lose.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

SirNitram wrote:Four stages of Expatriot British Grief.

1: Panic. 'THEY HIT LONDON?! IS EVERYONE OKAY?!'
2: Jingoistic outrage. 'You hit the wrong fuckers. If you hit us, you better kill every last one, because the rest will come and kill you!'
3: Gallows humour. 'Fuckin' Rudy can't catch a break, can he?'
4: Resolution. 'They can't shift a monolith of centuries with a little pissing in the wind.'

Gah, what a rollercoaster to wake up into.

hell the place has been burned down by Pissed off Inceni, and Hitler, not much they can do to top that. At least this time it doesn't appear to be the irish (definatly did not want to see another escalation to the "troubles") and bio/chemical weapon attacks still seem to be limitted to terrorists in Japan. (small favours I know)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

ALI_G wrote:
18-Till-I-Die wrote:Appearantly though no one had a clue, no warning, nada. This was well planned out...i'm tempted to say better than some religious fanatics could plan out.
I don't know what you are getting at, but the attacks don't seem particually amazing. Four guys set off bombs within an hour of each other, it's not rocket science. Indeed, considering the relatively 'low' casulties currently reported at the moment, and the worldwide outrage of the attack, I think it's quite clear it was a POOR attack considering what could have been done with four bombs. The terrorists lose.
I mean...i dont know, its that i get this feeling like 'The Secret Jihad of Al-Queda'? WTF? It seems made up like you know, almost mocking.

I have this image of some crazed supremacist militia in my head, laughing that off.

But yes you're right. Probably nothing, just a brain fart.
Kanye West Saves.

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Ah, ghetto edit: 'white supremacist militia' like neo-Nazis or whatever over there.
Kanye West Saves.