The Snake and the Dragon (Draka final society vs...)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Just finished reading through this fic. Excellent writing. Although I must say I've seen a dozen or two quotes slightly changed from other fanfics or even certian novels and publications...but nothing over the top.

And frankly it just enhances your work. This is brilliant. Watching the Borg at their mosy terrifying, powerful and (for lack of a better word) massive, coldly, calmly and relentlessly ripping through everything as the Q's punishment for Sith Janeway (the one time Janeway has actualy been absurdly cool)...

So will we get to see Q on the bridge of Marinas ship taunting her as the Borg chase her ship, methodicly ripping it to peices? Ala Q Who? Because he had some great lines in that episode I'd love to see him give to the f*#(ing Draka...
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Junghalli wrote:
ggs wrote:I got the End of Eternals referance(Asimov), as well as the Dawn of Forever series by Sonnenburg.
There is posible a reference to the Foundation Series too in End of Eternals.
I was wondering when somebody was going to get the Asimov connection. The Eternals attempts to produce a human-friendly (which apparently translated to human-only in their minds) universe seemed like a pretty good kick-off to the whole Temporal Wars buisness. I kind of like the multiverse concept in the way that lets all the different SF universes exist at once, but the full-on many worlds theory with the universe splitting with every single decision always gave me headaches. I thought this was a nice compromise.
It can swing another way too and work.

There is only one universe, continuing to time-like infinity covering space-like infinity. Every change in the past by a time traveller causes the universe to collapse back to the point of change. The Eternals learnt to construct a space-time pocket outside normal spacetime and is thus immune to changes in time from then onwards. However, any changes before the formation point causes the space-time pocket to be collapsed back into spacetime with everything else back to the point of change.

Effecting Time before the construct of this isolated space-time pocket is posible and just requires more power than normal.

The earlier the space-time construct is established in the universe (aka closer to the big bang) the more powerful it is as it can change the universe earlier without negating its existance.

In The End of Eternals, Time only changes when there is no other posible way to retain the previous relatity. Thus to switch between universes searching though time/space for the required branches for the destination universe and then causing the changeover which requires altering actual events in the past.

To completely master a process like this, would require the truely wanked up powers of the Q.
It also goes a long way to explaning why the Trekverse is such a weird place: it's one of the Eternals failed experiments; in a sense it's artificial.
Yup.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

So wait... who is this "Sith-God Janeway"? Its not a "Voyager" thing.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Although I must say I've seen a dozen or two quotes slightly changed from other fanfics or even certian novels and publications

Just remember, it's not a rip-off, it's a homage! :wink:
Chris OFarrel wrote:This is brilliant. Watching the Borg at their mosy terrifying, powerful and (for lack of a better word) massive, coldly, calmly and relentlessly ripping through everything as the Q's punishment for Sith Janeway (the one time Janeway has actualy been absurdly cool)...
Thank yew. After all the Borg-bashing that goes on in this board (most of which can be blamed on Beavis and Butthead to be sure) I felt the need to set the record straight about this cool and terrifying SF power.
Chris OFarrel wrote:So will we get to see Q on the bridge of Marinas ship taunting her as the Borg chase her ship, methodicly ripping it to peices? Ala Q Who?
Oh yeah. 8)
Although I actually have more respect for Marina than most Draka (although she's still a thoroughgoing bastard by our standards) in the same way I have respect for Thrawn in Shadows of the Night. She will be written as at least having a functioning brain that isn't completely drowned in arrogance and testosterone as most Draka are.
Chris OFarrel wrote:Because he had some great lines in that episode I'd love to see him give to the f*#(ing Draka...
"They are relentless!"
Really, if you read over the language in Q Who (about the swarming, all-destroying Borg) it's pretty clear the Borg were originally meant to be to the Trekverse what the Mongols were to Midaeval Europe. I'm trying to do some justice to that here.
I've actually been toying with the idea of a TNG rewrite fic that shows just that: the ultra-cool all-consuming force of nature that is the Borg and humanity's desperate attempts to stop it. What do you think, should I go for it?
CaptainChewbacca wrote:So wait... who is this "Sith-God Janeway"? Its not a "Voyager" thing.
She's from Sonnenburg's most excellent ST/SW fanfic Blood of Heroes.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Junghalli wrote: I've actually been toying with the idea of a TNG rewrite fic that shows just that: the ultra-cool all-consuming force of nature that is the Borg and humanity's desperate attempts to stop it. What do you think, should I go for it?
No. You should finish this. Every hour you aren't working or studying, you should be writing this.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Definitely.

Never write more than one story at a time if you can help it. It just divides time and energy, and all too often, you never finish them at all as a result.
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
frogcurry
Padawan Learner

Post by frogcurry »

Your function in the SD.net collective is to write more of this. You will comply. Resistance is futile.

Question: Wouldn't it be more logical if the Draka put Servus in all important roles rather than rely on Hellhounds (Dumb) or aliens (unreliable)? To prevent exactly what was done to the governor of Romii....
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

frogcurry wrote:Your function in the SD.net collective is to write more of this. You will comply. Resistance is futile.

STUDYING IS IRRELEVANT. EATING IS IRRELEVANT. SLEEP IS IRRELEVANT. THERE IS ONLY THE FANFIC. :lol:
Question: Wouldn't it be more logical if the Draka put Servus in all important roles rather than rely on Hellhounds (Dumb) or aliens (unreliable)? To prevent exactly what was done to the governor of Romii....
Stirling was a manpower minimalist, at least when it came to the Draka series. The entire Sol system (a system with at least two terraformed worlds) had a total population of a billion. Earth of this time period would likely have had a population similar to what it had in Midaeval times. And the Servus are designed to breed slowly so they don't overpopulate. They have a definite manpower shortage, and hellhounds are basically Jem Hadar+1, they're reliable and easy to produce but not too smart. Plus there's the fact that the Servus are deliberately modified to have no spine, which tends to make them rather poor commanders.
The Alliance has it even worse. They're essentially a colonial empire with no homeworld. Their capital world has a population smaller than NY state. They never even contemplated the Prime Directive pretty much for that reason: they need to absorb primitive planets to be their sources of cannon fodder. They developed the Soong type androids for the same reason. They're now in the process of phasing out the meatbags in their army in favor of Soong Assassin and HK series droids. And of course it helps that they're sharing their quadrant with an ally who has legions of Klingon warriors just itching for a glorious battle (and unlike in TNG these Klingons actually do know how to fight).
technomage
Padawan Learner

Post by technomage »

Meatbags?

HK-series droids?

You've been playing Knights of the Old Republic, haven't you?

Suddenly, I have a burning desire to see a Draka meet HK-47.

"Statement: Your reliance on genetic engineering and organic enhancement makes you far inferior to me, meatbag."
"Mother, implement Case Omega."
-the last time Colin MacIntyre gives an order without thinking it through.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Surprised no one has save an image of the taser tailer for Halo2...the one that shows the big ass explosions going off over Africa with the caption underneath it. End of the Draka Nation.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Typhonis 1 wrote:Surprised no one has save an image of the taser tailer for Halo2...the one that shows the big ass explosions going off over Africa with the caption underneath it. End of the Draka Nation.
Behold the ten minuite MS paint job :)

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Classic!
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Just finished all of this and I have to say it is great. I love seeing the Borg presented this way. This definitely seems the way they were in were supposed to be presented in Q Who. I also loved this version of the Klingons. Both seem more real, tha the true Trek versions.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

So, is that little Red hand thing the Borg's symbol? Wouldn't they consider emblems irrelevant?
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Setzer wrote:So, is that little Red hand thing the Borg's symbol? Wouldn't they consider emblems irrelevant?
That was the symbol found on the floor of the "meeting room" of Lor's fortress. Those Borg were displaying some rather abnormal behavior, to put it mildly.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Junghalli wrote:That was the symbol found on the floor of the "meeting room" of Lor's fortress. Those Borg were displaying some rather abnormal behavior, to put it mildly.
It first appeared in Best of Both Worlds. It's their symbol.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Thor Muhammedsen
Redshirt

On whose side are we supposed to be?

Post by Thor Muhammedsen »

This story has done what I would never have thought possible - put me on the Draka's side! I mean, as terrible as it is to be a Darka serf, being made into a Borg drone is by far worse. The serfs suffer terribly, but at least they retain their own personally. Is that where this is supposed to lead us, or am I the only sane person around here?
"Even behind the highest peak of hopelessness the sun will still rise" (Henri Levy, member of the French Resistance who was tortured to death by the Gestapo, 1943)
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warr ... mancer.htm
EDIT:
Also, you suck ass. I was hoping there was more, but alas I was just baited in by your stupid post. You may notice in the near future, while you're hanging from a burning tree, upside down, by your testicles, that we here don't take kindly to providing false hope that an awesome story that's been dead for months has been reborn.