Major incident occuring on the London Underground.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Hrmmm, these supposed "increases in security" amongst american railway and bus transit systems seems to be surprisingly minimal in Massachusetts. I was in one of the busier and well-populated stops on the subway and I think I saw at most three officers.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Zeond
Youngling

Post by Zeond »

I first heard about the attacks before going to work and unable to post until now. When I first heard about the bombs I actually started hoping that it was some sort of fundie Christian group instead of another group of Islamic fundie nutjobs since this would have swung more public opinion away from the Christian fundies but, alas, it appears that this might not be the case.

Does anyone have any solid numbers on the bus fatalities? The reason I ask is that on my way to work I heard an interview with a doctor who was present at the British Medical Association and he claimed that immediately upon the bombing of the bus, a number of doctors in the building went out and provided medical attention to the casualties. What is interesting about this report is that he claimed that there were nine dead, nine seriously injured but stabilized thanks to the quick response and many walking wounded. His interview corroborates the report of the British Medical Association building being splattered with blood. Can anyone corroborate this report? I heard it a little past 8 AM West Coast time.

I would also like to express my sorrow at the deaths and hope that all board members and their loved ones are ok.
Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy
55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

official count off BBC radio: 37 dead, "hundreds" wounded

...and that picture of all the world leaders at G8 is just scary...
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

edit: 78 critically wounded in hospitals
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

weemadando wrote:What really fucking impresses me is how the UK is playing it as "Business as usual", even to the extent that Blairs intended agenda is to come down to London, have a few briefings and meetings, then head straight back to the G8 meeting. The House of Commons is still sitting and the FTSE is staging one unbe-fucking-lievable holding action.

Kudos to the UK for not having any "undisclosed location" or "My Pet Goat" incidents.
I expect that starch has been issued for application to upper lips.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

A friend of mine who was in London at the time was going into the subways when he decided to get some coffee first. The bombs went off just as he finished his drink and was getting ready to go catch a train.

Jesus Christ...
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Glimmervoid wrote:
wautd wrote:ugh, the first conspirancy theorists are starting to bitch also :x
That is not a conspiracy theory.
sorry, made that post right before I went to sleep and its a little vague. I meant the first jackasses on other forums are saying something like "how convenient for Bush and Blair these attacks happen just at the starting of the G8. Wouldnt be suprised they were after it." Etc... etc...

fucking morons
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

The latest police conference confirmed over 50 dead.

"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

ALI_G wrote:The latest police conference confirmed over 50 dead.

ALI_G thats one fucked up mixed message your sending.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Mr Bean wrote:
ALI_G wrote:The latest police conference confirmed over 50 dead.

ALI_G thats one fucked up mixed message your sending.
Yeah I know, that flag is supposed to be in my sig not in the message - need to get to grips with how to use these sigs, last time I tinkered with it was three years ago... ;)
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

wautd wrote:
Glimmervoid wrote:
wautd wrote:ugh, the first conspirancy theorists are starting to bitch also :x
That is not a conspiracy theory.
sorry, made that post right before I went to sleep and its a little vague. I meant the first jackasses on other forums are saying something like "how convenient for Bush and Blair these attacks happen just at the starting of the G8. Wouldnt be suprised they were after it." Etc... etc...

fucking morons
Sorry I over reacted. Do not these conspiracy nuts realise that when half the police in the country (I made this up I don’t know how many there really were) are at Gleneagles it might be the time they attack London.
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Official: 2 unexploded devices found. Could've been worse.
What I'm getting from the BBC is that there were 2 'controlled detonations', which could very well just be suspicious packages being blown up by bomb squad.

I had a friend who once accidentally left unattended a box containing a teddy bear and chocolates in an airport in Australia, and security personnel blew the thing up.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Bad news again - Bus death toll has been updated and now stands at 13, not two. :(

RIP.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Hawkwings wrote:...and that picture of all the world leaders at G8 is just scary...
Where *is* this picture? It sounds nifty, but I can't find it.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to swallow all of this "religon of peace" tripe we're constantly exposed to. "In the name of mercy and compassion, we murder innocent civilians!"

*retch*
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Via some videophone recording, it seems the bombs may have been detonated quite close together, by a few minutes even. I hear there are still a load of bodies left in the underground that can't be shifted yet.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Darth Raptor wrote:I'm finding it increasingly difficult to swallow all of this "religon of peace" tripe we're constantly exposed to. "In the name of mercy and compassion, we murder innocent civilians!"

*retch*
<sarcasm> Don't you know it's only a tiny minority ? <sarcasm>

Seriously, no matter how much damage a religion does - any religion - we aren't supposed to even hint that maybe it isn't very nice. Despite the rhetoric, I wonder how many people can look at all this terrorism and buy the "religion of peace" garage ? I certainly don't.

I wonder what the hell the terrorists were trying to accomplish ? This isn't enough to terrorize the British, but it's too much for them to shrug off. Destroying the WTC was at least a symbolic victory; this is a minor strike at someone else. Does anyone know of a reason why Al Qaeda would want to provoke the British specifically ? Do these guys even have a plan ?
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Darth Raptor wrote:
In the name of God, the merciful, the compassionate, may peace be upon the cheerful one and undaunted fighter, Prophet Muhammad, God's peace be upon him.
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to swallow all of this "religon of peace" tripe we're constantly exposed to. "In the name of mercy and compassion, we murder innocent civilians!"

*retch*
I wrote at length about this in my blog. </plug class="shameless">
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:
<sarcasm> Don't you know it's only a tiny minority ? <sarcasm>

Seriously, no matter how much damage a religion does - any religion - we aren't supposed to even hint that maybe it isn't very nice. Despite the rhetoric, I wonder how many people can look at all this terrorism and buy the "religion of peace" garage ? I certainly don't.
A large majority of the muslim population is condemning these attacks. Now the reason for that is not truly known, but I've always been against labeling an entire culture "evil, etc" just because the actions of its extremists.
I wonder what the hell the terrorists were trying to accomplish ? This isn't enough to terrorize the British, but it's too much for them to shrug off. Destroying the WTC was at least a symbolic victory; this is a minor strike at someone else. Does anyone know of a reason why Al Qaeda would want to provoke the British specifically ? Do these guys even have a plan ?
These terrorists are morons. They attacked while the leaders of the most powerful countries in the world are present, which will most likely end up strengthening their resolve. This attack could have hurt people, who couldn't be more removed from this conflict. - Starving Africans.

Brilliant tactics. :roll:
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Durandal wrote:
Darth Raptor wrote:

*retch*
I wrote at length about this in my blog. </plug class="shameless">
Nice 8)

Wonder if this is why muslims consider it a sin for "infidels" to read the Koran. Could it be? Surely not...

For instance, over here a university professor was attacked by a bunch of islamofacist punks for daring to discuss the contents of the Koran in a lecture and quoting from it.
Kamakazie Sith wrote:A large majority of the muslim population is condemning these attacks. Now the reason for that is not truly known, but I've always been against labeling an entire culture "evil, etc" just because the actions of its extremists.
In this case it is the "extremists" who are taking the Koran at face value. The majority is less religious or they are not as keen to assign to their religion such a "fundamental" importance, if you'll pardon the pun. Anyway the whole of the culture of the ME is not dependant on their majority religion, much as the fundamentalists there would like to beleive otherwise.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Koran isn't unique in that it endorses religiously motivated violence. The Old Testament is full of it as well, but far more space ( a really stunning amount of space) in the Koran is devoted to it. Just like with the Bible there are a few parts which mention peace and mercy which the scholars will point to. They are there and are real, just like the parts in Christianity about turning the other cheek. But they are vastly outnumbered by the parts that endorse and encourage violence. Our problems aren't with westernized Koranic scholars with university positions, they are with those Muslims who want to subject us to a bloody-handed, theocratic tyranny.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

/sigh

Remember when England could proudly say their cops didn't need to carry firearms?

No more
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Uh, cops guarding places like the Houses of Parliament have always been armed. Hell, I've seen police in Lancaster with GLOCKs on occasion.
Genii Lodus
Padawan Learner

Post by Genii Lodus »

Glasgow was crawling with police today (slightly more so than the rest of the week what with all the G8 security) and there were staff at all the subway stations on the actual platforms. You could sense a slight uneasiness on the subway and we're 350 miles away from it.

One conspiracy theory I heard was that they shut the mobile phone networks because they suspected the bombs were being triggered by phones. Semi-plausible save the fact that people were getting through just the networks were overwhelmed just the same as at 12;01 on New Year.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I was watching BBC news this morning and they showed a few clips from Foxnews, for a moment there I thought I was inside the Starship Troopers movie.

The BBC where like "London has been attacked, more at 11, but first here is Paul Hudson with the weather" and Foxnews where like "LONDON IS UNDER ATTACK! ALERT! TERROR! LONDON! ISLAM!"
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.