California school district to "affirm" Ebonics

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

California school district to "affirm" Ebonics

Post by Rogue 9 »

We be bustin' caps in asses, yo.
District to 'affirm' Ebonics
'It should be considered a foreign language'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: July 18, 2005
8:26 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

A school district in Southern California approved the "affirmation and recognition" of Ebonics into its curriculum as a way to help black students improve academic performance.

The San Bernardino Board of Education says a pilot of the policy, known as the Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative, has been implemented at two city schools, according to the daily San Bernardino Sun.

Ebonics, a dialect of American English spoken by many blacks, was recognized as a separate language by the Oakland, Calif., school board in 1996.

Mary Texeira, a sociology professor at Cal State San Bernardino, believes the program will be beneficial to students.

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira told the Sun. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language."

Texeira acknowledged there are African Americans who disagree with her.

"They say that [black students] are lazy and that they need to learn to talk," she said.

The program, which will be implemented gradually, begins this fall when teachers receive training on black culture and customs. The district curriculum will include information on the historical, cultural and social impact of blacks in society.

Len Cooper, coordinator of the pilot program at the two city schools, said Ebonics won't actually be incorporated into the program, because of its "stigma."

"We are affirming and recognizing Ebonics through supplemental reading books for students," he explained.

Although the program is aimed at black students, other students can choose to participate, the Sun reported.

Board member Danny Tillman told the paper he pushed for the policy because he hoped it would increase the number of black students going to college and participating in advanced courses.

But Teresa Parra, board vice president, worries other minority groups, including Hispanics, will want their own programs.

"I've always thought that we should provide students support based on their needs and not on their race," she said.

Ratibu Jacocks, a member of a coalition of black activists – the Westside Action Group – said they are working with the district to ensure the policy is implemented appropriately.

"This isn't a feel-good policy. This is the real thing," said Jacocks.

He welcomes the idea of other ethnic groups lobbying for their own program.

"When you are doing what's right, others will follow,' Jacocks said. "We have led the way before the civil-rights movement opened the door for women's rights and other movements."
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

BULLSHIT! Dat ain't no fuckin language, yo! It's Just another wedge to drive between the races so they become ever more dissimilar from each other. I'll bet in some way somewhere Fundies are reading this and jumping for joy at the prospect of having the label 'foreign' being slapped on black American culture.

'Melting pot' my fucking foot.
Image Image
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

What is next, the British educational system declaring Cockney a foreign language?
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Peregrin Toker wrote:What is next, the British educational system declaring Cockney a foreign language?
No, it would be like the British education system declaring Chav a language.
Image Image
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Well, that's just fucking great. So does this mean that they're going to start considering 1337 as a foreign language as well? :roll:
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative
I assume that actually means something in Ebonics, rather than being a string of buzzwords as in proper English.

These kids are going to be in for one hell of a kick in the teeth when they enter the job market.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Quadlok wrote:
Students Accumulating New Knowledge Optimizing Future Accomplishment Initiative
I assume that actually means something in Ebonics, rather than being a string of buzzwords as in proper English.

These kids are going to be in for one hell of a kick in the teeth when they enter the job market.
Unless they're applying at BET or the Magic Johnson Theaters .....

But hey, let's try to put some positive spin on this! Maybe we should hire Ebonics speakers to create a new code language for the military, like those Navajo wind-talkers! Imagine the frustration of Chinese or Al Qaeda operatives trying to decode messages spoken in Ebonics!
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

To: San Bernadino board of education
From: Lt. Coronal Pissenmeoff, Cmdr., 3rd Bde. Grammar Nazi corps, (prov.)
Re: Stereotypical black gibberish being taught as a recognized language
Cc: www.Stardestroyer.net; Chardok; God; Col. Klink; U.B. Bullshitten; Commader Scratchensniff

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

SANKOFAI sounds like an apronym designed to sound vaguely like a real African word, which of course they pervert the real significance thereof. This is why I hate all government usage of apronyms.
Image Image
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Nice red X, Chardok. (yes I know what it is, a bad remix of the Sammy L. Jackson-with-a-gun pic as rendered by a website with bandwidth-antitheft. Some reason all the really good versions of that pic disappeared from the net recently...)
Image Image
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Nice red X, Chardok. (yes I know what it is, a bad remix of the Sammy L. Jackson-with-a-gun pic as rendered by a website with bandwidth-antitheft. Some reason all the really good versions of that pic disappeared from the net recently...)
Well that just pisses me right off. One day, I will learn how to upload images to imageshack and use those.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner

Image Host/Bad Remixes Hijack Derailed to here. Have a Nice Day.
Image Image
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

*headdesk*

As much as I do loathe Ebonics how is it a foreign language IF IT COMES FROM WITHIN THE US?!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Chardok wrote:
Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:Nice red X, Chardok. (yes I know what it is, a bad remix of the Sammy L. Jackson-with-a-gun pic as rendered by a website with bandwidth-antitheft. Some reason all the really good versions of that pic disappeared from the net recently...)
Well that just pisses me right off. One day, I will learn how to upload images to imageshack and use those.
Works for me, or does after I tell the AOHell blocking software to STFU and let me see it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I've defended Ebonics before as a legitimate dialect of English, but it does no good for the students who speak it to "affirm" it at school, since it's not the dialect considered acceptable (or widely understood) in business or government. If their idea is to recognize that it's a distinct dialect, and then put young students through the kind of intense English program they put native foreign language students in, so that they're proficient in standard English, that's fine--better than fine, it's a good way to address one of the major problems of the urban ghetto. If their idea is to conduct classes in Ebonics, it's another bad educational idea that's going to wind up hurting kids who are already starting way behind their suburban counterparts.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

God fucking damnit. This is why California's education system is a joke, and it has NOTHING TO DO WITH LACK OF SPENDING. Ebonics is bullshit. To call it a method of communication is an insult, but to attempt to pass it off as a foreign language? There is absolutely no reason anyone should EVER speak ebonics. Let them all learn proper English or another foreign language. Even though this policy will prevent any of these dumbasses from ever competing with me or my kids for a job, it can ultimately do nothing but harm society.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: California school district to "affirm" Ebonics

Post by Tsyroc »

"Ebonics is a different language, it's not slang as many believe,' Texeira told the Sun. "For many of these students Ebonics is their language, and it should be considered a foreign language. These students should be taught like other students who speak a foreign language."
This might be a legitamit point as far as teaching the students but there's a lot of controversy on how students with English as their second language should be taught in school. It's a big issue down here and so far I think that in the long run the Spanish speaking students do better in the US if they are in a mostly English emersion style of teaching instead of being taught in Spanish with a few English classes during the day.

I've spent some time in Oakland and I can't recall feeling like I was hearing a foreign language when I was there. I did stand out a bit being a nerdy white guy with glasses but everyone I encountered spoke regular American English.

Some of the street signs in Oakland are also marked in Chinese (I think?).
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Xero Cool Down
Padawan Learner

Post by Xero Cool Down »

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Ebonics

Another report on the same story. Personally, I feel that the emphasis should be to teach these students correct english, even if it means putting them into some sort of ESL program, not pander to the idea that it is some kind of proper language associated with black culture. This, I believe, would help them to improve their economic situation.
@( !.! )@
Xero Cool Down
Padawan Learner

Post by Xero Cool Down »

Tsyroc wrote:
This might be a legitamit point as far as teaching the students but there's a lot of controversy on how students with English as their second language should be taught in school. It's a big issue down here and so far I think that in the long run the Spanish speaking students do better in the US if they are in a mostly English emersion style of teaching instead of being taught in Spanish with a few English classes during the day.

From what I've heard on the news ESL students usually do much worse in school if they are stuck in English only classes because they can't understand what the teacher is saying, which is not to say that they shouldn't be taught proper English as soon as possible so that they can be in English speaking class.
@( !.! )@
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Xero Cool Down wrote: From what I've heard on the news ESL students usually do much worse in school if they are stuck in English only classes because they can't understand what the teacher is saying, which is not to say that they shouldn't be taught proper English as soon as possible so that they can be in English speaking class.
I haven't kept up on this and the results of the different types of teaching seem to go back and forth as to which is best. I just thought that the last I had heard that the ESL version eventually works better although in the begining it's tougher.

I most certainly can be wrong on this since, like I said, I haven't kept up on it, and it's been a few years since it was making big news down here.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Xero Cool Down
Padawan Learner

Post by Xero Cool Down »

Tsyroc wrote:
I haven't kept up on this and the results of the different types of teaching seem to go back and forth as to which is best. I just thought that the last I had heard that the ESL version eventually works better although in the begining it's tougher.

I most certainly can be wrong on this since, like I said, I haven't kept up on it, and it's been a few years since it was making big news down here.

Perhaps it eventually works better becuase the students eventually learn english?
@( !.! )@
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Xero Cool Down wrote: Perhaps it eventually works better becuase the students eventually learn english?
I think that's supposed to be the case. In the other version (more bilingual) the students don't learn English very well and in the long run that hurts them in the US.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

A Job I had at one point forced me to interact with the population that speeks in such a maner (I don't even give it a name, I hate it that much). When I couldn't understand what they were saying I would respond with "Parles-tu francais?" I eventually was let go, but I got a kick out of doing that every time. :twisted:
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Well, I'm sure Microsoft will be quick to captalize on this and offer products like this at discount prices: