A Question of Colonization.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Do you become a colonist?

Hell yes! Where the hell do I sign??
18%
Yes. I have my doubts, but I'm going anyway.
32%
Yes, if you paid me enough.
27%
No, it seems too risky.
18%
No, I find the very idea offensive!
5%

Total votes: 22

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mmmm not this trip, I'll move to a first world country and work on getting my mind uploaded onto the Internet six.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

How the hell would you get the money to move to a first world country? Can someone from North Korea move to the US? Probably not.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

wolveraptor wrote:How the hell would you get the money to move to a first world country? Can someone from North Korea move to the US? Probably not.
Immigration. You sell off all your shit here and buy passage to a nicer country and work your way up from the bottom over there, with the hope that life will turn out to be better. Pretty much the same way that poor Europeans and Chinese immigrants came over here during the 19th century.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

The odds of dying on the trip are a little too high for my tastes, but if I were in a terrible situation on Earth, I'd probably consider it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

14% overall of dying? I'll take it, especially if the US is the world's shitting hole. You probably have a higher chance of dying from violence or some weird super-virulant disease in ReligionLandUSA than from dying in that space ship.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood