Canada legalizes gay marriage!

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Canada legalizes gay marriage!

Post by Jason von Evil »

In Soviet Russia, link clicks you!
Canada legalizes gay marriage
Christian group vows to vote out lawmakers who support the legislation

Wednesday, July 20, 2005; Posted: 8:58 p.m. EDT (00:58 GMT)

TORONTO, Ontario (AP) -- Canada legalized gay marriage Wednesday, becoming the world's fourth nation to grant full legal rights to same-sex couples.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin signed the legislation making it law, hours after it was approved by the Senate late Tuesday night despite strong opposition from Conservatives and religious leaders.

The bill gives homosexual couples the same rights as those in traditional unions between a man and a woman, something already legal in eight of Canada's 10 provinces and in two of its three territories.

The legislation drafted by Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority Liberal Party government easily passed the Senate, which essentially rubber stamps any bill already passed by the House of Commons, which passed it late last month.

The Netherlands, Belgium and Spain are the only other nations that allow gay marriage nationwide.

The law comes after years of court battles and debate that divided families, religious groups and even political allies. The Roman Catholic Church, the predominant Christian denomination in Canada, has vigorously opposed the legislation.

But Martin, a Roman Catholic, has said that despite anyone's personal beliefs, all Canadians should be granted the same rights to marriage.

Alex Munter, national spokesman for Canadians for Equal Marriage, which has led the debate in favor of the law, was triumphant Wednesday: "It is a signal to the world that Canada is an open and inclusive society that believes in the notion of full citizenship for all."
Church 'concerned'

Churches have expressed concern that their clergy would be compelled to perform same sex ceremonies. The legislation, however, states that the bill only covers civil unions, not religious ones, and no clergy would be forced to perform same-sex ceremonies unless they choose to do so.

Charles McVety, a spokesman for Defend Marriage Canada and president of Canada Christian College, said he was "very sad that the state has invaded the church, breached separation of church and state and redefined a religious word."

McVety vowed his group would work to vote out lawmakers who supported the legislation in the next general elections.

"A new Parliament is going to readdress this issue and common sense ultimately will prevail," McVety said.

In the United States, Massachusetts is the only state that allows gay marriages; Vermont and Connecticut have approved same-sex civil unions.

Though hundreds of foreigners have come to Canada to seek civil ceremonies since gay marriages were first allowed in Ontario and British Columbia in 2003, not all countries or states recognize the unions.

The U.S. government does not recognize same-sex marriage, and most states refuse to acknowledge marriage certificates from gay and lesbian couples, regardless of where they wed.
Yay! Canada makes it very appealing to move there. Canada: Land of penguins, lumberjacks, and gay marriage. :D
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Penguins are from the South Pole stupid!

It's POLAR BEARS, Lumberjacks and Gay Marriage
(Sterotype Gay Voice) Get it right silly! (/voice)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hurray for Canada, its nice to know our frozen neighbhors to the north get the whole "land of the free" bit.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr. T
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. T »

Go Canada! :D
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? "
-Abraham Lincoln

"I pity the fool!"
- The one, the only, Mr. T :)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

So, yet another country has legalized gay marriage and no end of the world like the religious right is predicting. Any takers on when America takes the hint?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Extra, Extra, read all about it, Canada Legalizes Gay Marriage, Four Horsemens nowhere to be seen!
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

I can almost see the plume from Jerry Falwell's head exploding....
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

General Zod wrote:So, yet another country has legalized gay marriage and no end of the world like the religious right is predicting. Any takers on when America takes the hint?
When the streets run red with fundy blood? Its win-win! :D
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

You know, can someone actually find some responses from some Fundies about this? I would LOVE to know what they are actually saying about 4 nations across the world legalizing Gay Marriage in quick session
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:You know, can someone actually find some responses from some Fundies about this? I would LOVE to know what they are actually saying about 4 nations across the world legalizing Gay Marriage in quick session
Well, obviously they're all going to go straight to Hell.

At this rate, we won't want to take over the world anymore.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

General Zod wrote:So, yet another country has legalized gay marriage and no end of the world like the religious right is predicting. Any takers on when America takes the hint?
Even after the rest of the world (including the Vatican, every nation in Africa and the Middle East) legalizes same-sex marriage, the United States will remain, arms across its chest, defiant as the "last bastion of traditional marriage".

Seriously, good for Canada. Hopefully the fundies' threats will turn empty.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Firefox wrote:
Seriously, good for Canada. Hopefully the fundies' threats will turn empty.
What are they going to do, tirade?
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

http:/ /rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=211375
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Enforcer Talen wrote:http:/ /rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=211375
People may call me evil for feeling this way but I truly enjoy hearing the lamentations of the religious right. :twisted: Well, they lament for the loss of their ability to shove their religious dogma into law so maybe it's not so bad.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Some RR Dipshit wrote:Lawlessness and sexual sins are 2 of the predominant signs of the end times. Anything can become legal now
So...when's that supposed to happen? I'm waiting.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Enforcer Talen wrote:http:/ /rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=211375
Asshats.
Blessedx4 wrote:Lawlessness and sexual sins are 2 of the predominant signs of the end times. Anything can become legal now
Lessee, red herring, check. Leap in Logic: check. Slippery Slope: That'sa Beega CHECK!
MrMannn wrote:Only evil can result from this.
Start the lawsuits against the churches now: For refusal to legally marry gay couples.

I wonder, will churches be littigated out of existance?
Slippery Slopes! Getcher Big Huge Slippery Slopes HERE!

Churches refused to honor interracial marriages; they obviously survived that 'setback' (why the fuck is it a setback for anyone anyway!? Fucktards!) just fine.
Image Image
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote: Slippery Slopes! Getcher Big Huge Slippery Slopes HERE!

Churches refused to honor interracial marriages; they obviously survived that 'setback' (why the fuck is it a setback for anyone anyway!? Fucktards!) just fine.
How's this for a slippery slope?
Some asshat at RR wrote:Lawlessness and sexual sins are 2 of the predominant signs of the end times. Anything can become legal now
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I don't think a church could be sued for either refusing to perform a ceremony for gay marriage or for performing the ceremony. Unlike 19th century England, 21st century USA does not have a law requiring a church service for a legal marriage. It is simply a custom that many people go through with, but a church service in and of itself has no bearing on the legality of a marriage.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Xero Cool Down
Padawan Learner

Post by Xero Cool Down »

So what happens if homosexual couples in the US go and get married in Canada? They still aren't recognized here are they?
@( !.! )@
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Xero Cool Down wrote:So what happens if homosexual couples in the US go and get married in Canada? They still aren't recognized here are they?
Nope.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Xero Cool Down wrote:So what happens if homosexual couples in the US go and get married in Canada? They still aren't recognized here are they?
No, I think DOMA made it so gay marriages don't have to be recognized by any state, regardless of their legality or lack thereof in other states and/or nations.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

[sarcasm]Whawhoo, the Liberal government does another thing right!![/sarcasm] But really, this makes, what, one and a half things they've done right since taking office? (this and half a point for the budget (damn lack of education money).) For anyone who disagrees with this, nine thenths of it is already in the constitution; a little phrase: everyone is recongized as equal under the law, and shall receive equal rights (ok, so the wording isn't exact, but who cares?). And to all those doomsayers, the world isn't gonna end for another several billion years when the sun explodes, and we'll all be long dead by then anyways.
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
LeftWingExtremist
Padawan Learner

Post by LeftWingExtremist »

Yay! :D Finnally some progress. If only Johnny could do something about this. waiting... (i must say calling themselves the liberal party is very ironic)

"...And everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." - eclipse, Pink Floyd.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The Dark wrote:No, I think DOMA made it so gay marriages don't have to be recognized by any state, regardless of their legality or lack thereof in other states and/or nations.
How does that get around the Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution? I've always wondered that.

In other news...
YAY FOR NORTHERN NEIGHBORS! MAY THEIR FLAG LONG WAVE OVER THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE!

Now if only my U.S. would get the fucking idea.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

God will smite you all!

SMITE THEM!!!!

He's a cooking up a something.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.