Psych Evaluation of General Grievous

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Psych Evaluation of General Grievous

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Is he truly as crazy as everyone says? Yes, he’s angry, sadistic, and augmented by Palpatine himself, but I doubt that a “strategic genius” could be one whilst having a severe impulse problem. However, I’m not sure what counts as canon besides ROTS in describing Grievous.

Also, does he really have “loyalty circuits” inserted? I’ve always thought that his control by Palpatine and Sidious was more of a slightly Force-related thing, or an old-fashioned MICE ploy.

Another funny thing that I noticed is that the General Grievous Dark Horse comic book is often sold at mainstream non-comic places; I saw it at Safeway yesterday, and I’ve also seen it at a local 7-11. A very interesting part from the issue I read was when the Jedi send probe droids to attack him, he destroys them and muses if it was actually an attack by the Neimodians, or that “Darth Tyranus is tired of me”. If so, perhaps his paranoia is enough for him to turn away from Palpatine.

Yes, I’m thinking about a Jr. Infinities again.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

GG is only a phsyco kill bot because after the "shuttle accident" arranged by Sidious, Gervious was implanted with electronic behavioral controls and emotional regulators, that effectively turned a once normal, decent Khalee general into a vicious, uncaring killer.

But yes, he is as crazy as he seems. (all explained in LOE.)
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Wasn´t he basically being set up as the perfect "fall-guy"? An aggressive, insane monster to pin all the blame on when the war was over?
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

It's a bit more complex than that; As far as Dooku knew, he was going to be 'captured' by the Jedi and repent, pinning all the Seperatist atrocities on Grievous' door. However, Sidious intended for both to take the fall, with Dooku adding weight to the Jedi=Teh Evil claims.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

What about the bit in his Dark Horse comic? Has anyone read that yet?
Xero Cool Down
Padawan Learner

Post by Xero Cool Down »

Battlehymn Republic wrote:What about the bit in his Dark Horse comic? Has anyone read that yet?

Yes, it's fucking awesome.
@( !.! )@
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Noble Ire wrote:GG is only a phsyco kill bot because after the "shuttle accident" arranged by Sidious, Gervious was implanted with electronic behavioral controls and emotional regulators, that effectively turned a once normal, decent Khalee general into a vicious, uncaring killer.

But yes, he is as crazy as he seems. (all explained in LOE.)
He also believed that the Jedi had planted the bomb in the shuttle, IIRC...
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm sure about that were does it come from?

But yes Grievous cyberneticly and geneticly enhanced to be ruthless and uncaring killer with severe impulse control problem (AKA the perfect "fall guy")
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Lord Revan wrote:
I'm sure about that were does it come from?

But yes Grievous cyberneticly and geneticly enhanced to be ruthless and uncaring killer with severe impulse control problem (AKA the perfect "fall guy")
EpIII VD, I think? It was mentioned in some book with diagrams of all the snazzy stuff from Ep. III at Barnes & Noble that I browsed.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

I was talking about Grievous's all series of comics, I read the third issue. In that issue, he both suspects of Dooku of "tiring of him" after a probe droid of unknown origin attacks him, and he both threatens a messenger from the Sith into not reporting a failure to Dooku, and he refers to the Sith as "rivals".

Has anyone read the comic? It's far from canon, right?
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

If it doesn't have an infinities label it's in as far as I know.

I did love that one little lesson regarding power he gave to a Jedi padawan. Let her insult and attack him, then disarmed her and dangled her over a ledge before calling down an orbital bombardment targeted on a building (I think it was a stadium or something) that the seperatists had stored the cities population in.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Didnt Greveous personally order the BDZ on several planets, i think thousands was the number. I mean, maybe i'm wrong but all but the most psychotic commanders on EARTH would resort to genocide on that level, like Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot maybe, so he must be pretty 'on the edge'. Of sanity that is. Just my two cents, i havnt read any of the novels or comics so i'm going by word of mouth.
Kanye West Saves.

VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

All I can remember was the BDZ performed on Humbarine (a city-planet and co-founder of the Republic). His flagship was feared throughout the galaxy, though, so there must have been more of them.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

He also liked virus-bombing.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

There is a book thats set just before EP III takes place, telling how it all happened. Apparently, GG was a decent being until he had an accident were his ship crashed. That is were Palp got a hold of him. it was Palp that turned him into the cybernetic monster...the real key lies in the fact that Palp changed GG's memories. Makeing GG a creature of vengence.
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

That would be Labrynth of Evil, which is literally within my reach at the moment, and which Noble Ire has already referred to.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

So, what's the consensus? Hypothetically, would Grievous be paranoid enough to consider his Sith masters as working against him, and would-be rivals? The comic confirms it.