Awesome guitar solos

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

A friend has told me good things about a guy i think he's called Joe Satriani? Amyone able to confirm that he's good?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Lord Pounder wrote:A friend has told me good things about a guy i think he's called Joe Satriani? Amyone able to confirm that he's good?
Yes, he's very good. Both Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett (Metallica) were students of his.
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

Lord Pounder wrote:A friend has told me good things about a guy i think he's called Joe Satriani? Amyone able to confirm that he's good?
He's excellent. I have his Strange Beautiful Music album, and it's still the single best source of guitar music that I have.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Rye wrote:You fuckers should all be purged for not mentioning Zakk Wylde. He's the God of all metal soloing, especially since Dimebag was killed. :(
I saw him when he was Ozzy Osbourne's lead guitarist, he did a 5 minute guitar solo just for the hell of it at the end of one of the songs and it was pretty unreal. He just went and stood on top a 10' stack of amps and speakers and started shredding away.
sketerpot wrote:
He's excellent. I have his Strange Beautiful Music album, and it's still the single best source of guitar music that I have.
You want Crystal Planet, Surfing with the Alien, and Flying in a Blue Dream, now. What I like about him is that he keeps the songs grounded and they don't wander off into la-la land and become complete guitar wankfests.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

No Freebird? Fools. I'm not too Lynard Skynardy, but you cant deny the badassedness of that solo.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Chardok wrote:No Freebird? Fools. I'm not too Lynard Skynardy, but you cant deny the badassedness of that solo.
Only in the 15 minute versions, and there are no a's in Lynyrd Skynyrd.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

and it's not Skynyrd with out VanZants

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Also have to mention Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption" solo. Greatness
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Civil War Man wrote:
Chardok wrote:No Freebird? Fools. I'm not too Lynard Skynardy, but you cant deny the badassedness of that solo.
Only in the 15 minute versions, and there are no a's in Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Right, right, right. Blame the Lunesta™ for my mispellings. sorry about that. Anyway, it still fucking rocks. And when, in these threads, do we EVER refer to stupid radio versions of songs, eh?
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

aerius wrote: I saw him when he was Ozzy Osbourne's lead guitarist, he did a 5 minute guitar solo just for the hell of it at the end of one of the songs and it was pretty unreal. He just went and stood on top a 10' stack of amps and speakers and started shredding away.
Yeah, he did the same thing at Ozzfest when I went a few years ago. It was sick, he played soloes with his teeth somehow.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Darth RyanKCR
Youngling

Post by Darth RyanKCR »

May not be metal but Edgar Froese of Tangerine Dream when he had his Les Paul Gibson in the mid to late 70's was excellent and improvised most of the time.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

just realized that this month marks 35 years of no James Marshal Hendrix, I am going to have to brush up on my Voodoo and my connections with the Great Raven and set about getting the ultimate basement tape jam session started. Who else whose dead do we need.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Pretty much the entire "Friday Night in San Francisco" album, which is Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin and Paco DeLucia jamming a CD full of awesome guitar stuff. It's all spanish guitars, but if you want mind-blowing solo's, check out "Meditteranean Sundance" from that album.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes