Since When Does Trouble Knock? (Forgotten Realms)

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Kuuni dropped off the chair and wandered out of the tavern. A dozen pair of eyes followed her as she left. He was the big wheel and she had defied him and made him look like a fool in front of too many witnesses. What would come next was inevitable rain in spring.

Two bruisers were already following her, attempting to be discreet. They were fairly inept at it, but the big crowds helped. Kuuni obligingly headed for an alley and kept on going. The area around the tanneries was nicely deserted for obvious reasons. She picked up the pace. It wouldn't do to have them intercept her too early.

They hustled after her, the Big Wheel travelling in their wake with another crony. Good. She slipped around a corner, slipped on a plain gold ring, and vanished.

A few moments latter the bruiser's came. She waited for them to pass, hurrying to catch up with where they thought she was. She slipped off the ring and turned the corner. The Big Wheel and his other crony were ten feet away. They both smiled. Kuuni smiled back.

The Big Wheel's friend was a black bearded dwarf nearly a foot taller than she was. Worn leathers covered dwarven mail and swords with nearly two foot long blades were scabbarded at his waist. The dwarf smiled, showing broken and rotten teeth. A nasty piece of work all told.

Kuuni spoke as innocently as a child, "did you want to speak with me?"

The dwarf growled. He drew his blades and advanced. Kuuni's eyes went big with surprise. She charged to the left and dwarf pivoted to puncture her in places she didn't want punctured. She dived, rolled under, past, and sprung up. The Big Wheel drew his sword. Kuuni finally drew her knife.

He struck at her legs as she charged. She caught the back ended of the blade with her own and pushed it down and away. And then she was there. He sprung away with commendable agility and grace, but stabbed in the calf as he leaped. Her blade grated on bone. He was cursing as he landed, but managed to keep his feet.

She sprung to the side as the charging dwarf passed. "Goblin's bones!" he swore as spun. She pulled out her hand crossbow and shot him in the foot as she scootched back. The bolt punched through the tough leather and drew blood. The dwarf's face purpled with rage. He lunged again.

He was quite tough, she gave him that. The wound was only slightly slowing him and the fast acting poison didn't seem to be doing much either. Time for a new trick.

She charged. She was fast, faster than even Nalifan and Trizkel. She angled for his right side, avoiding his other blade. He dagger parried his sword as she closed. The blade slide down his and then she broke contact, and stabbed. Leather parted under the blade, the sides of the cut starting to rot immediately. She ripped the blade up his arm as she went, the blade cleaving flesh as if it was water.

She drew even with him, having ripped open his arm from wrist to elbow. She kept on going, stabbing to the side as she past. Mail parted under the blade and it slide in deep. Blood spurted from the wound as Kuuni kept moving. The dwarf spun, but was too slow. Blood spurted from punctured lung and dripped from his sliced arm. The tissue at the edges of the wounds receeded and the blood flowed quicker.

Thrown blades spun at Kuuni from the Big Wheel, but she dodged them easily. The dwarf was hurt bad and left far behind. She gleefully sprung ahead.

He stabbed at her and his blade just touched her side as she went past. Enchanted mithril links resisted his steel. The she leaped and was all over him, grabbing his tunic for reach. Stab in the right hand, stab in the right thigh, stab in shoulder. He went down and flopped in the mud.

She looked around. The dwarf was retreating. Smart boy. She waved her knife beneath the Big Wheel's nose. "Why don't you tell me about Zhengyi and I stop stabbing you?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"When was your father hurt?" Trizkel asked Sylvetria. They were sitting in a room upstairs, next to her father's. It was modestly furnished, but had a thick rug, a sturdy chairs, and a comfortable bed. More than enough for him. His tastes were less sybaritic than Nalifan's.

Sylvetria looked over at the drow. She was no longer wearing her armor, but retained her sword. "He became ill half a year ago. When we first began to lose livestock. He slowly grew weaker and my mother and my brother had to take over his responsibilities. That hurt him most of all. That others though he was not longer the man he was."

"And you?" Trizkel asked. "What did you do?"

"Hunt. And come up with nothing. And every month my father grew sicker and we lost something. And it started in on people."

"Your brother?"

She nodded.

"My sympathies. It must have been awful for you."

"Thank you." Sylvetria hesitated. "Not all of us up here are half-ignorant trappers or miners. We had many books in my house. You are not at all what I expected from a drow."

Trizkel smiled. "You expected someone more like Nalifan or worse. Can't say I blaime you. Nalifan and I have good reasons for not living in the Underdark. I don't relate well to most drow."

"That must have been hard growing up."

"I was raised by deep gnomes," Trizkel replied. "My home settlement was wiped out when I was a small child. I don't remember anything really before the gnomes took me and raised me." That wasn't quite true. He remembered a house and the faces of his parents. And then nothing else besides the face of Belnar as he awoke. "They raised me. Nalifan's really the only drow I've spent time with."

"And he considers you his inferior."

Trizkel laughed. "Of cours he does. Nalifan was raised drow. Every interaction is a potential dance of death with them. They are always evaluating power, position, the opportunities of alliance, the chance of betrayel, vengence, and all the other things drow care about. That's the enviroment he's lived in since birth and it left its mark. He's in the strongest position, so he's superior to the rest of us. He's a leader, a talented necromancer, our chief strategist, and our negotiator. No one in the group is as familiar with treachery and betrayel as he is. To him, maneuvering to a superior position is as instinctive as breathing. To me, what matters is that I can trust him utterly."

"Are you sure of that?"

"The only time he would betray me is if he had too. And he would put that right before the end. He plays the long game better than anyone else I've ever seen."

"And what if you are wrong about him? What if your faith is misplaced?"

"I don't need faith, I have reason. I know his history, I've seen his deeds. I live because of him and he because of me. And all the others owe them their lives as well. And I've seen what he's like when one of us is struck down. Faith is emotion, evidence is real. And the evidence is convincing."

"Are you lovers?" she asked.

Trizkel laughed. "No, not all. But we are brothers in all the ways that matter."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I feel sorry for the dwarf. Getting beaten by a gnome. Even if that gnome is seriously badass.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Sunset and Nalifan was called before the council of eldars. The young warrior lead him to the central tent. The council sat cross-legged on piles of furs in a rough semi-cirlce. All of them faced him.

Nalifan sat down in front of them. Despite their name, the "elders" ranged in age from young men to the white bearded shaman. Most of them had lined faces and grey in their hair. All of the dozen were men. Thiddeus stood of to the side.

A man whose right cheek was a mass of scars spoke. "You wish to take Thiddeus and fight a great enemy. We have suffered loses of late. Why should we let him go?"

Nalifan considered carefully. "Thiddeus has power, but what threatens the North is great and evil. It will not accept being confined to Vaasa. It will come for you and it is greater than Zhengyi. Fight it now, while your lands are not the battleground and your people are not its prey.'

A young man spoke. "There is wisdom in that. But losing Thiddeus diminishes our strength."

"You could do without him for half a year," responded Nalifan.

"That was before we lost so many of our young warriors," a greybeard responded.

And if Thiddeus had the brains of a encephalitic goblin he would have come back with enough magic weapons to make you the dominant power in the region. "A valid concern," responded Nalifan. "But how much of a threat are your enemies?"

"Enough," responded Yezra the Elder. The other council members nodded.

Ah, a bribe. Now we are in familiar territory. "Who do you want me to kill?"

A ripple past through the old men. I guess coming out and saying it is bad manners, though Nalifan. For a race than could be almost as greedy and petty as the drow, humans were so uncomfortable with admitting it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kuuni bounced in. "Hi!" she beamed past through the doors. "Guess what I found out!"

Trizkel didn't need elvish hearing to hear her from upstairs. He headed down, Sylvetria trailing in his wake.

"Hi Triz." She vaulted onto a table and did a handstand.

"Hello. I take it by your demeanor you have been . . . . how shall we say it, successful?"

"Yep. I found this really nice ring." She pulled out a gold ring with a huge fire opal. "See." A short pause. "And I found out about Zhengyi."

Patience, thought Trizkel. "Why don't you . . . . share that with us."

"Um, let's see. He was a big bad wizard. Worse than Nalifan. And he had a big scary castle, where scary scary stuff lives. Some of his followers have a hidden castle where they do their thing."

"A hidden castle?" Trizkel asked.

"Yes, Castle of Assassins or something like that. It's hidden by magic. And their's demons and stuff in the ruins Zhengyi's place. Um, uh, Castle Perilous."

"Hidden castles and bound demons," said Trizkel with a smile. "I think we're on to something."
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Well well well... I'll have to keep an eye on this one. It's a great story with some very nice characters. One day I'll have to write up some of mine and Nitram's D&D adventures.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

Hmm... I'd write up my own, but I've only ever played the CRPGs To be Honest...

I've got no one to play actual D&D With... so I'm a bit screwed on that front.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"Hello father." Sylvetria reached down and squeezed her father's hand.

The grey haired man blinked and twisted in the bed. "Sylvetria. You came back. Did you find him?"

"Yes father, I did. They'll help us."

"Good, good." He closed his eyes. "You've done well."

Tears welled up in her eyes. She squeezed his hand harder. "Papa, listen to me. We have to move you. Soon. To keep you safe. The devil may try to come back for us. We need to be hard to find and not all in the same place. Mother will take care of you. But I have to go back with them, to end it. Do you understand?"

His eyes fluttered open. "No, you must stay safe."

"There is no safety until this thing is dead, papa. I'll be careful. Don't worry. Regain your strength."

Her father's eyes shut again and his grip became lax. She gently place his hand back on the bed. "He's been getting better," came a voice from the doorway.

"Oh gods," Sylvetria whispered.

Anasia of Tagronese reached over and put her hand on her daughter's shoulder. "I know your strength, my daughter. Go. Fight. Win. We will keep ourselves safe in the interm. As safe as anyone can be."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So who do you want me to murder?" Nalifan asked.

"Murder?" one of the elders.

"Yes. Murder, kill, slaughter, butcher, assassinate, massacre, annihilate, obliterate, exterminate. Which one of those words do you prefer? You want me to make some people dead. Are you now squeemish over the word choice?

"Killing in feud is not murder," said Yezra.

Great, barbarians and lawyers. "Fine. It isn't murder. Who do you want killed?"

"The great wolves of the plains who killed our kinfolk must die," said a white haired man who bore a resemblence to both Thiddeus and Yezra. "And the White Lion tribe must feel our wrath."

"Define 'feel our wrath'. Ten dead? Women and childred slaughtered? Their herds scourged? I don't want to make a bunch of unnecessary trips over to wherever in Vhaeraun's name these White Lions are, killing a bunch more each time."

The chief's looked at each and muttered amongst themselves. Typical primitives. Lots of bluster, little thought. They probably spent more time beating drums than planning their wars. "One hundred warriors," came Yezra's reply.

"Good. I'll take Thiddeus as a witness."

"And how do we know you will not renege and spirit my son away?"

"I don't give an orc's toenail what you want. I would have already left with Thiddeus if I had my way. But Thiddeus won't help me without your approval and so I am stuck with you. Thiddeus is the one who has to be convinced that I have upheld my side of the bargain, so Thiddeus goes with me to see first hand."

Thiddeus's father scowled. "You do not dictate to us!"

"I just did. Count yourselves lucky that I have no choice but the honor this piece of extortion. You will get the murders you desire, but I will bow to no one in how it is executed."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"So, you have a decision to make."

Thiddeus looked over at the drow. "What do you mean?" He looked around. They were on top of a hill looking over the rolling plain. Clumps of evergreens were scattered here and there. In the distance, cattle munched on the spring grass.

"You can decide to obey your elders and butcher your tribes enemies or we can fulfill your godess's mission. You choice."

"How did I know you would try and renege on your agreement."

"The agreement is as vaild as the elders control over you. But you have never gone to battle to dominate your neighbors, you have donated most of your wealth to a church in a distant land, and you claim to despise me for ease in which I kill to achieve my aims. Not exactly consistent with being a placide participant in this mass slaughter."

"I'm not killing anyone."

"No, that would be honest. You are content to be the cause of all this death by being an obediant boy. If you were a chosen priest, or just a man, you would take responsibility and choose your path and accept the consequences."

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Nice horses," said Sylvetria. "You have a good eye."

"No," responded Trizkel. "Mikos has a good eye for horse flesh. I don't know anything about riding beasts, although Nalifan is quite knowledgable about riding lizards." He patted the horse gently. "Good boy." He vaulted easily into the saddle. "Glad you approve though." He waved to the others. "Let's get a move on."

"Do you think you can kill this thing?"

"Yes," replied Mikos.

"Really?" Sylvetria responded. "I thought-"

"It nearly killed us," Trizkel answered. "It failed. Now it's our turn. We'll find out what it is, how to kill it, hide, gather what we need, and kill it. Simple."

"You think so?"

"Nalifan likes to say that anything can be killed. We'll get the job done."

"Does that apply to Lord Ao as well? Can he be killed?"

Trizkel shrugged. "Ask Nalifan. But you may not like the answer."

Laerasis tapped her foot impatiently. It was bad enough to be up and outside after dawn, but the loading was going slowly. Nalifan had already transported his most precious treasures to secure locations, but that left a number of items of lesser value and his staff to take care up. So a few items were loaded up on carts and the manse's staff got a vacation to Shadowdale.

Of course, nothing ran smoothly. Food, clothes, tarps, tool, and sundry items took longer than expected to pack. Hunting down and catching the pride of cats that viewed the manse as theirs took even longer. The last one, Swordfoot, a tortoise shell kitten possessed on an innocent looking face and ferocious habits, was being gingerly loaded onto a cart. He looked woefully between the bars of his wicker cage.

Laerasis would be the last person to admit it, but she had a soft spot for cats. It was Nalifan's fault, of course. If he hadn't kept them, she would have never have met one. Now the furry little beasts stole a place in her cold drow heart. Their was something about their casual sadism, unashamidly selfish behavior, and playful affection that touched her.

She adjusted her hood. "Hurry up. At this rate we'll still be here when that demon comes back to play. Take it from one who knows, you don't want to know what that entails."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2005-08-07 10:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

:dies laughing at the accurate discription of cats:: Starkitty got offended when I read that aloud, tho. :lol:

Not a bad chapter, please, continue.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"Have you made your decision yet?" Nalifan asked.

"No," Thiddeus replied. The warrior-priest sat with his legs crossed at the top of the hill. Nalifan shrugged.

"Just asking. The demon isn't getting any deader with you sitting here. Are you going to make a decision soon?"

"Stop pushing."

"Alright." The drow plucked a long stem of grass and twirled it between his fingers. "Just to let you know, if you don't make up your mind soon, I'm just going to fly over to village or camp or whatever and kill everyone there."

"WHAT?!" Thiddeus's head snapped around.

"It's a time consideration. Days have already been wasted waiting for you council of elders to come up with a suitible price for your aid. Three days, as a matter of fact. I couldn't rush it, so I lived with it. By now they have obtained horses, gotten into trouble, extracted information, killed somebody or somebodies, and have been on the road for a day at the minimum. Vaasa isn't that big of a country and it's mostly grasslands. In the next few days they are either going to make a useful find or come up empty handed. And then we have to plan strategy."

He gestured at the plain in front of them. "Tracking down those wolves will be a pain, but the actual killing won't be difficult. If you aren't going to make up your mind soon, then the best course of action is for me to start the killing. Kill one hundred warriors and whoever else gets in the way. Cripple the tribe's ability to defend itself and its herds. You might want to try to pick up some wives from them after all this is over. They'll be selling their people pretty cheap if they think they can make an alliance with someone strong. Although, come to think of it, I haven't seen you with women. Well, I'm sure they'll pimp out boys if they have to."

Thiddeus got up and stalked over to Nalifan. "Why do you think I would ever be a party to that! Not everyone is as corrupt as you are."

The drow shrugged. "It doesn't matter if you do it or not. That's what they'll have to do. Sell their people, make unpleasant alliances, not matter what the cost. The last few years have been bloody. The punitive raids from Zhentil Keep have been costly. Once they start to go under, everyone else were jump on them like ravens around a dying man. Or we can not push them over the brink. Your choice. Choose your goddess over the tribe, like you always have. Except this time, do it in a way you can't deny is betrayel."

"You would know all about betraying your family, wouldn't you?"

"Yes, I do. Your decision?"

"I'll go. Ready your spell."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is it?" Trizkel asked.

"Yes. I'm sorry it isn't up to your standards."

"I was expecting something . . . . . less fortified."

"This is Vaasa, not the dalelands. And your mansion has a damned big wall and gates."

"Previous owner had giant mercenaries."

"That explains the building behind the stables and the height of the main floor."

"Well, he was also part dragon and about eight feet tall."

"Part dragon?"

"Yes. Big blue scaly bastard. So was his sister."

"Sounds challenging. In Vaasa we are very familiar with the spoils of war."

The dwelling in question was a four story round keep made of fitted stone. A ditch and a log pallisade wrapped around it and four wooden fighting towers were spaced evenly around the walls. Several buildings of solid contruction were located near the keep.

"Nice location. Got the high ground and can see for miles. Mountains nearby on three sides, only can approach it from the east. Can retreat in the mountains or sally against raiders. Got plenty of warning should an army come to strong to resist."

"I'm glad you approve," said Sylvetria.

"What's the story with the tower?"

"What tower?"

Trizkel raised his hand and pointed mid-way up the side of northerly mountains. "The one on the mountain side with the minarets that look like barbs."

She looked at him blankly.

Trizkel smiled. "I think we have a clue."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Mikos walked around in wide circle. "I don't see anything."

"Trust me, you're about a yard from its base," Trizkel responded.

"That area looks rocky and uneven. Bad footing. Must be a mind trick."

"Yep," said Kuuni. "A little 'no, you don't want to come over here, really there's nothing you want', to go along with their invisible tower. Helps keep it more secret."

"I'll bet we'll see it after Trizkel smashes the door in," Mikos replied.

"What door? The damn thing is as smooth as glass except for the windows up top."

"I don't understand it," said Sylvetria, "how could they have built a tower here without us knowing? Even with magic."

"They didn't," replied Trizkel. "They moved it here. After they made it."

"So what know?' she asked.

"We crack this thing open and see what is inside."

"I'm coming with you."

"Suit yourself," said Trizkel. "Since we left the horses down in the stable, we don't need anyone out here. Mikos," he came a come hither gesture, "come over here."

"What's the plan?" the Dalesman asked.

"This." Trizkel picked Mikos up and thrust him feet first at the tower. There was a small thump. "Kick in your boots and walk."

"Okay." Mikos began to climb, walking straight up the invisible wall. With absolute proof of the tower's reality, the concealing magic fell away. Mikos was ten feet up a wide tower of smooth granite. A peaked roof topped the tower with curved claw-like projection projecting up between the windows at the top.

"Looks friendly," said Kuuni.

Trizkel ignored her. Mikos was walking easily up to the top. So far so good. They were past due for a compication. Mikos approached the window. It was pretty big with o bars, grills, or shutters. He drew his blades and closed with.

The clank of metal on stone tipped him off a moment before a great flaming blade lashed out. He parried it with his longsword, redirecting the blade. A baroque set of plate armor, decorate with whirls and grinning demon heads stood in the window. The afformented flaming sword was held in both hands. It struck at him again.

Mikos dodged back, scuttled and to the side a step and then advanced. It had reach and swung first. Mikos deflected it with his short sword and brought his longsword down on the right gauntlet. In a spray of sparks, the gauntlet came off. Blue smoke poured from the hole in the armor. There was nothing else inside.

It tried to raise the blade with it's left arm. It succeeded and akwardly swung again. Mikos parried, closed, and jammed his shortsword into its left shoulder joint. It fell back, more smoke pouring from the wound. The two hander dragged along the window sill.

Mikos followed it in. The room was plain, with a single door. One last slash with his longsword. The helmet bounced on the floor. More smoke poured up towards the ceiling. The armor toppled and fell. The flames on the sword died.

Mikos reached into his bag and pulled out an improbably long length of rope and tossed one end down. He braced himself by the window sill and said, "come on up."

The others scampered up the rope. Sylvetria was slower, but made decent enough time despite her armour. Mikos extended his hand to help her through the window. She took it and pulled her through.

Trizkel eyed the construct. "Nice work."

Mikos shrugged. "Not that hard."

The drow nodded and drew Mindeater. "Shall we continue?"

Mikos nodded. The door opened easily at Trizkel's touch, revealing a set of stairs. That curved downward, ending at another door. "Ah. Another room, another guardian. Be ready." The drow opened the door and dodged to the side.

It was another big, empty room. With a fifteen foot tall figure of earth and stone in the center. It was roughly humanoid. It raised a ponderous fist. Trizkel exhaled.

A stream of acid splashed on the elemental's shoulder, splattering all over it's arm and torso. The black fluid steamed and bubbled. Smoke rose from the elemental's body and pits in its substanced grew and widened. With a groan, its arm fell off.

It let out a moan and stepped forward. Trizkel exhailed another massive gout of acid. This one struck it right in the chest. The elemental stopped for a moment and then collapsed into a smoking of rubble.

Sylvetria looked at him with wide eyes. "What? Did you think Nalifan was the only one with useful tricks? There should be one or two more of these things and then we'll find whatever they were guarding."

"You just-"

"This was the easy part," Trizkel replied. "The last one is always the worst."
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Trizkel lead the through the next door and down the stairs. He made a small sign behind his back as he reached the next door. Everyone repeated it. He kicked the door and leapted to the left. The room was identical to others, mnus the windows of the top floor. Kuuni dived towards the right as Trizkel shouted. "Balor!"

It was big, ten feet tall at the shoulder. It's skin was reddish-black of dried blood. It's feet ended in massive hooves. Great bat wings projected from its back. It's head was crowned by horns and ended in a long muzzle filled with fangs and tusks. Flames licked over its body and dark shadows flickered around its massive and muscular frame. In its right hand it wielded a flaming sword of jagged Abbysal steel. In its left was a a many thonged whip of flame.

As Kuuni rolled past it spoke a word. The air reververated and Kuuni was sent sprawling on the floor. Trizkel leapt forward and whip lashed around him. The heat was incredible. Then the balor jerked him forward into its body flames.

Mikos unleashed a flurry of arrows. Three were deflected by the shadows or bounced off of its hide. Two bit, but the wounds were shallow. Thick black blood oozed around the points.

With a cry Sylvetria charged. The demon swung its sword. She raised her shield, an enchanted heirloom of her ancestors. The force of the blow numbed her arm. The follow up blow caught her in the side. The spell strengthened mithral held. Her ribs cracked and she was knocked aside.

Trizkel rose up as the fires ravaged his force armor. He gritted his teeth against the pain and thrust Mindeater into the demon's wrist. He could feel the power enshrouding the demon trying to syphon his strength away. He resisted.

The balor howled as the obsidian blade punched all the way through his wrist. The fire whip fell from his grasp. It raised it's foot and stomped. Trizkel was inhumanely fast, but not fast enough. The hoof caught him and pinned him against the floor. Ribs cracked.

Mikos raised his bow. The balor's body hape was mostly humanoid. It's unnatural flesh and magics were strong. But his best arrows would bite. He just needed to choose the right targets. Targets close to the surface, He drew back and loosed.

The arrow hit the balor in the inner thigh before being consumed by fire. Right where the femoral artery would be on a man or an elf. Black blood jetted from the wound. The balor howled and stepped back. It let go of its sword, which hung in the air. A black sizzle formed around it's claw tips.

Mikos dodged up the staircase. He knew what was coming. Trizkel reached up and touched the balor's leg and sent all the pain he had suffered back to it with a psychosomatic push. Bones broke. Tissues ruptured. The killing power faded from the demon's claws as its concentration was shredded by knives of pain.

Mikos loosed another arrow as Trizkel rolled away. This one caught the balor in the neck. More blood gushed forth, but it still would not die. It reclaimed its sword and Trizkel barely managed to parry a killing stroke.

Another arrow from Mikos. It flew straight and true, through the balor's eye and buried itself into its brain. He dived back up the stairs. Trizkel rolled away. "Down!" he shouted. Kuuni had recoverd enough to huddle in a ball behind Sylvetria who ducked behind her shield.

A blinding flash. The tower shook. An invisible fist smashed into the adventurers. Blood leaked from ears and noses as they shackily regained their feet. A black smudge marked where the balor had stood.

Kuuni got unsteadily to her feet. "New rule. We don't fight one of those again without Nalifan," and promply toppled over.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The air shivered, there was a dull cracking sound, and then they were there. Nalifan looked around. "Right on target."

"Not like that last time," Thiddeus replied.

"Bah, all groups of trees look alike."

"If you're so perfect, why are we more than two hundred yards downhill from them?"

Nalifan turned to Thiddeus. "You could have walked. I here the mountains are full of frost giants this time of year."

"The mountains are always full of frost giants, except when they are raiding the lowlands."

Nalifan shrugged. "Intereseting tower though."

Thiddeus squinted. "What tower?"

"The invisible one right behind them. Come on."

It didn't take them long to close the distance. "Lolth's fangs, you look like you found some trouble."

Trizkel grimaced. His body was marred by blisters and burn patches. "You could say that. Hey Thiddeus, lend me some healing."

Thiddeus glared at him. "Fine, I'll take care of it myself." His fingers danced in sign. Do we really need this piece of garbage?

Nalifan replied. You're the one who originally brought him on board, over my objections.

Don't remind me.

Nalifan turned towards Thiddeus. "Heal him. Now."

"Why should I?"

"The same reason he should stop someone from sticking something metallic between your ribs. We're a team. Start acting like you're part of one."

"I-"

"I'm not asking for you to love him like a brother. I'm asking you to carry your weight."

Thiddeus nodded and knelt down beside Trizkel. He murmured some words and his skin smoothed out and grew back over the raw parts. Angry red burns faded to a satiny grey-black. Thiddeus went over to the others.

"Nal, you need to see what's inside. I can't tell what it is, but its big."

"Okay. Lead away."

They had hammered in a spike before leaving and attached a rope to it. The drow quickly swarmed up the side of the tower. As they descended, Trizkel filled Nalifan in. "We cleaned out the guardians. Weren't too bad except for the last one."

"Which was?"

"Balor."

"That sounds unpleasant."

"We agreed that its your job to slay all balor's at a distance."

"Nice to know I get all the big jobs."

"Well, I could also pass nightshades over to you."

"Well, I do have that sunburst spell now . . . ."

"They're yours."

"Naah. You can keep them. Got to leave something for the muscle to do." The drow exchanged grins.

"So," said Trizkel, "this is where we killed the balor. Note the blast marks. We go down to the final chamber and what do we find but this!" He threw his arms wide.

The last room was not quite as barren as the others. In the center of the room was a simple stone pedastal. Balancing on it was a coal black adamantium sphere the size of a human head. It's surface was marked by several jewels and gold runes. Foot long spikes projected from its body. Some invisible force kept it exactly balanced on those spikes which touched the pedestal.

"Now," said Trizkel, "and I wrong or is that one of the most powerful magical devices you have ever seen."

Nalifan's voice was dry. "You're not wrong."

By the time they returned the others had made a campfire and were heating up diner. Nalifan pulled his tent out of the portable hole and set it up. Soon sausages were being heated over an open fire.

"So," said Sylvetria, "what's going on?"

"Well, you have trouble. That tower was specifically constructed to house the device at the bottom level. The tower was then rendered invisible and moved here, because the creator didn't want to have it anywhere near him in case something went wrong and I dont' blame him."

"Who made it? Zhengyi?"

"Probably," Nalifan replied, spearing a sausage off a frying pan. "It's an interesting piece of work. It's not a summoning device like I first suspected. It a supression device."

Her brow furrowed. "I don't understand."

"The device gathers energy for a month. Then it uses it to surpress the bindings on a being who has the public name of Vashorak. Vashorak is able to pass through the dimensions to the device. From there he can move elsewhere for a day or so. But the bindings are still there. So he gets snapped back to the Abyssal pit from which he came."

"So," Trizkel asked, "who is this Vashorak?"

"Don't know," Nalifan replied. "I've never heard of him. But the bindings on him would require at least the power of a demon lord to enact."

"So he's one of Zhengyi's left overs?" Sylvetria asked.

"If you can call awesomely powerful cosmic beings 'left overs', sure."

"Why did he put the tower here? Why around people where it might be discovered?"

Nalifan smiled. "So he could have a handy food supply when he arrives, of course."

Sylvetria looked ill. After a moment a look came into her eyes. "But why now? Zhengyi's been dead for years. We have only been troubled for months?"

Nalifan nodded. "Zhengyi obviously didn't have all the ground work in place for this scheme. Things like a more powerful device for longer appearances and binding magic to enslave Vashorak. But someone has obviously picked up the pieces."

She nodded. "So there is someone out there pulling Vashorak's strings."

Nalifan shook his head. "There was someone else out there. He might be pulling the strings, he might have miscalculated and gotten eaten, or Vashorak might be pulling his strings now. We don't know for sure yet, but there maybe another player out there."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2005-08-22 12:08am, edited 2 times in total.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Keep them coming, hon!

Although, I am wondering how Trizkel spit acid like that. Bloodline, maybe? :twisted:

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Breath of the Dragon, level 6 psychic warrior power and one of his favorites along with the pain transfer and force armour, and buffing his combat abilities to the stratisphere.

I haven't shown all of his tricks yet. :twisted: Indead, the man himself asked today on when I was going to show one in particular.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Breath of the Dragon, level 6 psychic warrior power and one of his favorites along with the pain transfer and force armour, and buffing his combat abilities to the stratisphere.

I haven't shown all of his tricks yet. :twisted: Indead, the man himself asked today on when I was going to show one in particular.
Ahhhhhhhhh. I've not had much exposure to psionics. In fact, I think this is the first time I've known anyone who's played a psionicist. My gaming group(s) just never picked up on them that much.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The one character, a Dark Sun campaign, an my high level NPCs are the only times we've used psionics.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

The companions finished their meal and went through the mundane clean up chores Trizkel paced around the edge of the camp. Night was falling. His time and the time of Nalifan and Kuuni as well. With smoked lenses, hoods, and enchanted vision the subterranian members adventurers managed to adapt to daylight, but the night was theirs. A dimly lit faery land brighter than the Underdark where so many others stumbled about blind. Trizkel looked down the mountain and saw the valley spread out before him like a prize waiting to be taken. "So, are we going to smash the device?"

Nalifan replied. "Not yet."

"Why not?" asked Mikos.

"Several reasons," came Nalifan's reply. "The first is, it is going to be be very hard to destroy the damned thing. It's adamantine and enchanted to handle enormus amounts of energy. It will be dangerous to try and even more hazardous to succeed. There are several approaches which may be promising, so this is really a consideration of time."

"Secondly, there is the issue of the activator. Probably a lieutenant and the late and unlamented Zhengyi, Witch-King of Vaasa. Likely to be personaly powerful, have several formidable agents under his control, and to know the moment I make a serious attempt to destroy the device. Odds are that I will finish him in a few moments in a direct confrontation, but he will probably go for something sneakier. From his point of view, if he is paying much attention to us, it's better to leave us alone and let his massively powerful demon take us out."

"Third, this device is unsatisfactory from a number of ways. This is an experiment, a test. Destroying the device is likely only a temporary solution. All the evidence suggests that Vashorak is being kept on a short leash. He could have whipped out the entire settlement in a hour. He didn't. The control is being tested to establish the limits. There is no way that the device's master would allow it this far from his person if he couldn't make another version. Not after all these months of testing. But while it exists it can be of use. To me.

"You have a plan," said Trizkel.

"Yes. I have a few . . . . . alterations to put into place. After that I'm going to shield the rest of you from scrying and you're going to go walking."

"You're not coming," Thiddeus said.

"That's right. I have to consult a source about Vashorak. I may take a while. My protections will wear off, but he won't know where to look and that will make finding you harder."

"Where are we going?" asked Trizkel.

"I don't know," Nalifan replied. "Ask Thiddeus."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The crack of displaced air heralded Nalifan's arrival in a corridor of fitted stone near the top of a staircase. On either side was a tapestry of exceptional craftsmanship, one of herd of huge beasts thundering across a primordial plain and the other showed a few elves in antique armour facing a horde of goblinoids.

Nalifan stopped for a moment to admire the tapestries. The work was beautiful, although the styles were completely different he recognized the hand of the artist by the skill. Smiling he strode towards the stairs, pausing to pull on the hanging rope. A bell clanged to announce his presence.

The drow descended the spiral staircase, his foot steps as soundless as a cat's. The stairs descended several floors and opened into a enormous hall capable of hosting a feast for thousands. The hall was empty, save for one.

His enormous, sinewy body dominated the chamber. Burnished scales gleamed golden and reflected light from dozens of sources, surrounding the magnificent creature in a golden glow. His wings lay along his side like furled banners and the head that was capable of swallowing a man whole looked down at him from a top a long and regal neck.

Nalifan bowed low. He spoke in a language that was never intended to come from a humanoid throat. "Lord Dragon, I humbly request your aid and guidance."
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ah, now that's cool.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"Courteous as always," the dragon replied. The air swam and the dragon dissolved into a golden mist. Standing in its place was a human male wearing an exquisite robe of sable and gold. He was a few inches over six feet tall, broad shouldered and strong. His white hair and beard were short and neat. His eyes glinted gold.

He spoke a distinctly different dialect of Elvish in a voice that resonated with power. "I believe if we speak in this manner, the lining of your throat will survive a lengthy conversation."

"My thanks, Lord Dragon."

"Come, let us retire to more comfortable accommodations. I assume the matter that brought you to my lair is a grave one."

"Yes, it is." Nalifan followed the dragon towards a room appointed with humanoid physiology in mind. Like the other rooms the walls were hung with beautiful tapestries. A thick carpet covered the stone floor and a fireplace dominated on side. The dragon sat down in one of the well upholstered chairs. Nalifan sat down opposite him. "Although I wish I this was a social call, the matter is one of considerable importance."

"Ahh. Well then, what is your difficulty?"

"I have gained the emnity of a powerful demon. I have recently learned its name and that it is bound in the Abyss, but I know very little of his true nature."

"Interesting. This leads me speculate that despite your self-proclaimed amorality you have been engaging in what are vulgarly known as 'good deads'."

"He demanded a guest in my house. I declined to to surrender her."

"Ahh. So this was merely you asserting your perogatives as lord of your domain. This has nothing to do with widely held beliefs about the moral obligations one has to guest and those under one's protection, beliefs that beings myself subscribe to."

"You would be correct, Lord Dragon."

"I see. So your role in ending an unnatural winter, aborting a drow invasion and thwarting a dark goddess, and fighting this fiend all stem purely from enlightened self interest? I must say for one who has no interesting in 'doing good', you manage to do a lot of it."

"A fortunate coincidence. It is advantageous to ally my goals to the public interest whenever possible. The Dalesmen respond well to that kind of thing."

"Indeed. Your scrupulous behavior with regards to your fellow adventurers is based on similar considerations I take it?"

"Yes. When one is a member of an infamous race, one cannot be as picky when choosing one's companions and it behooves one to maintain a reputation as a good partner to have."

"Of course. And your relationship with Trizkel is purely business."

"No," said Nalifan, "it is not."

"Many human societies have a term you maybe familiar with: blood brother."

Nalifan was silent for a moment. "That would be an accurate description."

"Ahh. Was that so painful to admit? Are you ashamed? Of course not. This admission does not make you weaker. By acknowledging it you are stronger. Both of you benefit by being able to trust each other absolutely. You have nothing for contempt for the petty cruelties and treacheries enacted by many of your race. Why would you not embrace the opposite?"

Nalifan smiled. "I'm afraid that what ever virtues that I may possess are outweighed by my vices."

"Nonsense. Even a humble human craftsman has pride. No dwarf ever foreswore a just revenge. Pride and wrath are poor rulers, but no dragon or arch-mage is complete without them. Your hands are stained red, yes I no this. I do not wish to know what you did during your long apprenticeship and life among your people. I too have killed and destroyed."

He paused for a moment. "You see good as weakness and foolishness because those who have argued it to you have been inferior in power and intellect. There cases have been weak, their intelligence unequal to the task of describing a righteous path that you would be willing to walk. I say that you are changing. You know this. Do not fear this change. Has it made you less powerful? Does it make you unhappy? No, the opposite. You have become stronger and happier. You have become 'soft' by drow standards but your enemies still perish. The road you walk is taking you in the right direction, even if it is not a direct route."

"You seem rather confident about this."

"I am old and rarely wrong. I have seen far more of the world than you have Nalifan. Men, elves, and even dragons progress through their lives. You are heading towards the road that is right for you. You fear being 'weak', but you know that so much of what you were taught about life to be a distortion or a lie. The history of your monstrous Ilythiiri ancestors has been abandoned because the drow do not wish to know the heights from which they fell. The history of the dark elves of Miyeritar is abandoned, because the Ssri'Tel'Quesssir would prefer to forget nobility and virtue.

"And now you come to me Nalifan and ask for aid and expect me to give it to you out of benevolence. The only reason I would do such a thing would be to make Faerun a better place. So much for the power of evil and the impracticality of virtue. Tell me the name of this fiend, so I may arm you against it."

"It is named Vashorak." The dragon's eyes went wide.

"He was bound, bound back before the elves arrived on Toril, back when dragons fought another race for dominion over this world."

"Lolth's fangs, he is that bad? I knew when my spell didn't bite that he would be difficult-"

"You have no conception of what you face. Back when man used weapons of bone and stone, when working copper was a new art among them, there was a godling named Eawa. Of her, I can tell you little. She was worshipped in the north when the world was warmer by some of the tribes of men. She was ravaged by the Demon Lord Orcus and was slain by the monstrous spawn that grew within her."

"Gods below," Nalifan whispered.

"Vashorak was taken to serve his father in the pits of the Abyss, but quickly became a power in his own right. And then he committed the ultimate crime: he abandoned the Blood War, the eternal struggle for domination to beseige the heavens. On the slopes of Mount Celestia his army was ruined and he was cast down. Many demons had abandoned the Blood War to join his armies. Great was the wrath of its mightiest captains, who had their campaigns fall into ruins as their armies had been depleted. So the greatest of the balors joined together and bound him with their power. And bound he has sat for millienia, bound until the Blood War ends and all the fiends ascend from their pits under one banner and beseige the celestial realms."

"And now, for one day a month, he is free," Nalifan whispered. "A being who is part demon, part god. How do I fight such a thing?"

"I see there are secrets of the universe you do not yet possess young elf. Your foe is an abomination, an infernal. His might is vast, but now you know his true nature you can begin to arm yourself against him."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2005-08-16 03:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I see you were in a hurry with this one... the SpellChecker needed to go over it another couple times ;)

Other than that, I like this Gold Dragon. Very sly, very wise. The conversations and teasing of Nalifan is very well done. Obviously Nalifan has tried this dragon before and acknowledges him as a better, wiser being than himself.

The teasing bout Nalifan's past "deads" was amusing... amazing what you'll do for 'enlightened self-interest', isn't it?

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Nalifan wasn't as powerful as he is now when they met, which involved the party violating his lair by way of a mysterious warded gate. Nalifan's diplomacy was able to smooth things over and the dragon demonstrated an awesome facility with magic. He was also wise, kind, and helpful. Even if Nalifan didn't want him as an ally, he would treat a being both physically and magically his superior with deference.

The Lord Dragon knows better than preach about "good" to a drow, which associate "good" with "weak". Gentle guidance and suggestion are far better tools. It also helps that a dragon's outlook on such matter is one of a being that can and will impose its will on the world around it.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

"So," said Nalifan, "how do I kill an infernal?"

"I do not know," replied the dragon. "My understanding is that the few infernals that exist have been bound for eons. I suspect that the usual tools of powerful and blessed weapons combined with mighty magics should do the trick."

"Well, most of our weapons wouldn't bite and he shrugged off most of my sorcery."

"Then you have a problem. I'm afraid certain . . . . matters keep me from offering direct aid."

"Ahh," replied Nalifan. He had suspected as much. "Any advice on how to proceed?"

"None that you would not be able think of yourself. Your command of killing magics is formidable and I suspect that your knowledge of the Lower Planes exceeds mine."

Nalifan smiled. "You do me great honor, but I would not pressume to call myself your equal in the Art. Perhaps when I can weave a library's worth of spells on a single tapestry I will, but that day is not here yet."

"But you could read it," the dragon replied. "Not a small feat. You comprehended it You may wish to try something similar in an artform you are more proficient in."

"That would be none. Beyond aesthetics, art wasn't part of my education. My mother wanted a wizard, not a painter."

"Hmmm. Your surface cousins are more balanced in their approach to life. You should consider their example. But we are digressing from the topic at hand. You are clearly in need of weapons and magics to deal with the infernal. A rare commodity at the best of time. Being drow, the number of people who are willing to deal with you is greatly reduced."

"Sigil, Sshameth, or Union," replied Nalifan. "If it was available in Sshameth, I would probably know about it. It could take forever to find it to Sigil and I've only heard rumours of Union.""

"There is another alternative," the dragon replied.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thiddeus dreamed. He had worked the greatest spell he was capable of before drifting into sleep. His dream self ascended into the sky, drifting on the winds. He drifted north, over plains and mountains. A cross wind caught him and pushed him east, away from the mountains and into the plains.

Hills rolled in front of him. The winds died out and he slowly drifted forward. In the distance he could see the frozen mass of the Great Glacier. He looked down beneath him and saw a depression in the earth. A ruined tower was half submerged in a bog. He drifted down.

It was as if a chunk of the earth about three hundred yards on the side had sunk about ten yards below the level of the surrounding plains. Most the ground was covered by murky water. Half dead stunted trees poked out of the water and a few bushes sprouted from the clumbs of water logged land.

He drifted to the moss covered tower. There was power here. Broken and corrupt and palpable to even the coarsist sensitivities.

Thiddeus bolted half upright in his bedroll.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sky of the 267th layer of the Abyss is a dull red. Always. Occassionally a hostile purple sun makes is presence felt over the plains and mountains of jagged black rock. Menacing fortressess of black iron dominate the landscape and cruel creatures hunt the souls of the damned and each other for food and sport over the unforgiving terrain.

There are many ravines and crevices, but one is special. It stretches for nearly twenty miles and is two miles deep. At the bottom is a river of molten rock. Perched half way up the side is an iron keep.

Vashorak sat on a throne of demons bones at the summit of the tower. The ravine was his domain and he could go no further without aid. His flesh had recovered from the immersion in holy water, but not his pride. But there were greater issues at stake. Freedom and revenge were paramount. So he endured the disdain of his co-conspirator.

He was human sized and shrouded in a black robe. His hands were gloved and his face covered by an adamantine mask depicting a snarling demon face. This was a projection only. His ally was not here in the flesh. "You failed," his ally said in a sibilant voice.

"It would not have happened if you had unleashed me earlier, instead of your tentative baby steps," Vashorak replied. "Your desire to control me completely has allowed this to come to pass. If I had my way I would have feasted on their marrow and the southerners would still be sunning themselves in their house."

"They defeated you."

"With a trick. Which will not work again. No wizard can work the same spell on me twice. You know that. My defences adapt. They will not be so fortunate the next time. If you don't finish them yourself."

"They have vanished from scrying."

"There are only a few places they could be going," Vashorak replied. "Anticipate them. Find them. Kill them. They are only mortals."
Last edited by Imperial Overlord on 2005-08-24 04:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

A crack of thunder rent the air and Nalifan appeared on the roof of brilliant white building under the late afternoon sun. Towers and minarets reached for the sky and the smell of the sea filled the air. Most of the buildings were white or gold with brilliant scrollwork. Columns decorated with swirling stripes supported small palaces. Many of the buildings were toped with domes.

Three stories down crowd hustled and bustled. Many of them had light brown skin and wore flowing garb of brilliant coloured silks, but a exception abounded. Over there are pair of dark skinned, square beared Turmish mercenaries strode down the street in elaborate armour. A red haired woman passed them on the street. The overriding constant was money.

Nalifan dropped down like a feather to the street below. Heads turned toward him. And then people started to scatter. The Turmish mercenaries hustled their client down the street. "Well, that's one way to clear out a crowd."

Nalifan walked across the street towards a large building. He had noticed the enclosed garden from his roof top perch. Two beared humans wearing mail and scarlett silks barred his path. Their scimitars were drawn and their expressions were ones grim.

"Excuse me," Nalifan said. "This is the house of Adala Syel in Almraiven?"

The guard of the left nodded. "Could you you be so kind as to inform him that the arch-mage Nalifan D'Azurentien wishes to conduct business with him."

Neither guard moved. "Could you summon a servant to deliver the message? This is Calimshan, is it not? Where commerce is king? Your master is one of the premier magicians in a city with a magical tradition that goes back three thousand years?"

The guards looked at each other and hesitated. Nalifan sighed. This would teach him to do things the nice way. "How's this. If someone isn't running a message towards your master in the next ten heartbeats, I'll kill both of you in a way that can only be described as agonizing."

One soldier stuck his head inside and called out. Nalifan coudl hear the sound of feet running on carpet. He smiled brightly. "Isn't that much better?"

The sun sank behind the horizon, leaving the plain bathed in twilight. "Alright, I guess we should call it a halt," Trizkel said.

Sylvetria pulled up beside him. "You know, not all of us can see in the dark."

"I know," Trizkel replied. "The horses need the rest anyway. Pity they can't see in the dark."

"I was speaking of myself."

"Well, it's really the horse that's the problem. They're the ones that have to be careful of their footing."

"Are you teasing me?" Or flirting?

"Only slightly," he replied. "Okay, let's set up camp."

As the light began to die tarps were laid and tents errected on the top of the hill. A fire pit was cleared and Trizkel flashed over to a distant tree which he hacked down in a few easy blows with his enchanted steel. Another flash and he was back with the wood.

They ate in comparative silence. Thiddeus retired, drained from last night and riding most of the day. Kuuni wandered out into the dark while Mikos checked his weapons and then stood up. "I think I'll go keep her out of trouble and see if I can catch us breakfast." He wandered down the hill and out of sight.

"Nice of them to give us some privacy," Sylvetria said. "And does Thiddeus always snore so loudly."

"Yes," said Trizkel.

"Yes it was nice of them to give us some privacy or yes that he always snores?"

"Uhh . . . . yes to he snores."

"Ahh. Vaasa isn't like the south. You don't have to dance around if you're interested in me."

"Ah," said Trizkel. "Well in Cormyr if women are interested in finding company, they wear purple armbands. Some Sembians do it too. Nalifan says its a fad."

She smiled. "That's not answering the question."

He turned to look at her directly. "Yes, I'm interested. You're smart, you're strong, you're tough, and well, you're a a human but you still look good."

"Better," she replied. "I thought you drow weren't shy about this kind of thing."

"Nalifan isn't."

"If I wanted an arrogant, self-absorbed, warlock I would be having this conversation with him. I'm not."

"No, you're having this conversation with the orphan who was raised by deep gnomes."

She stared at him for a moment. "Really?"

"I must have been younger than twenty. I can barely remember any faces. But they took me in an raised me. Trained me in all the arts. And then they let me go to find my own destiny. They uhh . . . . kind of skipped over the man-woman parts of my education."

"I can imagine," she replied. "And are you . . . ." Men could be so sensitive on this subject.

"No, not any more. There aren't too many women, especially elves, who are interested in a drow. And they have good reason not to be. Nalifan is comfortable spending money to ahh, how shall I put this, encourage women to spend time in his company. And he has that endlessly confident way where not even a raging dragon seems to be a barrier. Some combination of the two works. I'm more . . . restrained. And you?"

"I always thought I would marry some heroic young warrior with iron hard muscles, an ancient sword of dwarvish make, and a manly beard who would come wandering into our lands one day on a horse that could run like the wind and noble quest driving him forth. He would reluctantly turn away my aid, but I would persue him and impress him with my valor and beauty. We would ride off in search of adventure."

"Sounds, ahh-"

"And then I learned that if there were ever men like that in Vaasa, none of them survived Zhengyi."

"I don't have a manly beard or an exceptional horse."

"You're pretty good looking, other than that metal thing on your face. And you are strong."

"I do have a dwarvish blade, although it is only ancient if you count one hundred years as ancient." He stopped for a moment. "Well, that's more failures than successes, I guess I'm out of the running."

"I guess so. Although I should mention that I'm not fifteen anymore."

"Point. So, interested?"

"Marriage? No. A roll in the hay, yes."

"Too bad it's going to have to wait. We're on watch."

Adala Syel didn't seem to be much older than early thirties, at most. His goatee and long black hair were rich and his face was unmarked by age. He wore a robe of red and white stripes, tastefully accented with a few choice pieces of jewelry. From his reclining position in a pile of cushions he gestured for Nalifan to make himself comfortable.

The drow sat down crosslegged in front of the great mage. Nalifan's ego and pride in his accomplishments was tremendous, but he admitted that the human was the mightier mage. "Thank you for seeing me, exalted one."

"I was curious to meet you in the flesh."

"Me? I hardly possess a reputation to equal yours."

"True," replied Adala Syel, "but ever since those incidents a few years past, I have made it my business to monitor activity among the drow."

"There are mightier arch-mages than I among the drow."

"There are many mightier than you among the drow, but the best place for a human to gather information about the drow is the City of Sshameth."

"I see. An open city, ruled by wizards. Where humans and other surface worlders with coin would be welcomed. Where Trizkel and I did a lot of business last year."

"Indeed. You spent a dragon's hoard worth of coin purchasing some of the most powerful magics in existence, in addition to thwarting the priests of Kiaransalee. As well as disruting a merchant house's surface world operations. You were noticed. Especially by those who would be interested in monitoring the activities of powerful drow active on the surface."

"Ah, much becomes clear. I take it those unpleasant incidents you allude to were involved in the populace clearing the street upon recognizing me?"

"A lot of people died."

"I see. Sunscale sends his greeting, by the way."

Adala's eyes widened slightly. Nalifan slid a single gold scale across the carpet with a cantrip. "I need your assistance. He mentioned your name."

"What could possibly require you to come to someone else for assistance? Have you made an enemy of a Demon Lord or a god?"

"No, an infernal."

Adala Seyal was silent for a moment. "I know of no sorcery I can give you that will grant you victory over such a creature."

"What!"

"I am sorry. Infernal's possess an enormous resistance to magic. As one who has triumphed over both demons and drow, you undoubtedly are familiar with techniques with which to overcome such defences. An infernal's powers are even more formidable in that it adapts to the powers of its enemies, as no wizard has ever worked the same spell twice upon one. If your mightiest magics will not deliver victory into your hands, then it is beyond you."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

YAY!
although the 'seduction' scene was very... uh... blunt. Amusingly so.

Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote:YAY!
although the 'seduction' scene was very... uh... blunt. Amusingly so.
It was a bit of a stretch and I wasn't sure if it was going to work out.