Airport Photos

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Look at what you did to poor Chardok, broomstick! Now he's terrified!

Chardok, keep in mind you're talking to someone who's flown more than one hundred times in fifteen years. Never had an accident in the air.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

OK, last picture:

This is in neither the Stearman nor the Citabria, it's in the Decathalon, the "stunt plane" (Actually, the Stearman has one too, but this is better for my purposes being about 50 years newer and therefore in much better shape)

This is an accelerometer. Also known as a "g meter". Since the airplane is sitting still on the ground it is correctly registering "1g", since being on the surface of the earth that is the gravitational accerlation it is experiencing.

You will note the attractive green arc. The fancy stuff is supposed to occur between -2 and +4 on this dial. Above +5, you have a yellow arc. That means "caution". To those unaccustomed to aerobatic flight, 5g's can produce unconciousness (although not always). Yeah, might want to be careful in that range.

See the red line, past the yellow? It's right on +6. That means "don't go there". Beyond that point not only are you flirting with tunnel vision and total blackout yourself, you're also getting into a range where you can cause permanent damage to your airplane.

Around +9 there is a very real risk of the wings snapping off. (Really don't go there!)

So... um... if that's the case... why does this g-meter go up to +12?

Can someone answer that? It's actually sort of scary in a way. And about as useful as a rear view mirror on a Stearman. Probably less so - there might, conceivably, be a reason for the mirror on the biplane.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Chardok wrote:Thin as a pop can?! CHRIST ALMIGHTY! that DOES it! It's terra-fucking firma for me FOREVER.
If it makes you feel better, commercial jets do have skins a little thicker than that.... required because of the air pressure differential. Sort of like flying around in a thermos bottle.

There, does that help?

Jiminy Cricket, it's a damn good thing I didn't show you me in the Max-Air Drifter!

(A Drifter doesn't have windshield, walls, doors - or even a floor. You're basically strapped to a flying telephone pole)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Uh Oh, you've scared the living daylights out of poor Chardok, Broomstick!

Chardok, airplanes are safer than driving, just keep reminding yourself of that fact and you should be fine. You don't want that last flight you took for that fun FREE trip you had just recently to be the last fun trip you'll have in your lifetime, Do you? Of course, you know, I can understand your fear though.

I'm sure if the planes made of tin were not safe Broomstick, being the smart lady she is, wouldn't be flying them every chance she gets as well.

EDIT: Damn it! You two beat me to it :oops: I just keep embarassing myself in this thread don't I ;) :lol:
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Broomstick wrote:This is a better view of the Stearman instrument panel
What instrument panel?
Broomstick wrote:So... um... if that's the case... why does this g-meter go up to +12?
Student solos plus gusty winds in the pattern probably.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

The only reason I made it to new orleans and back with my sanity is because of Vodka and Ativan. LOTS of Ativan. And I STILL didn't pass out until I was off the plane, safe on the ground.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Mrs Kendall wrote:I'm sure if the planes made of tin were not safe Broomstick, being the smart lady she is, wouldn't be flying them every chance she gets as well.
If the Stearman wasn't safe... how did it get to be 62 years old? I mean, seriously - this airplane has NOT been coddled or sitting in a museum somewhere. It started life with 18 year old young-stud military hotheads bouncing it off runways, worked the airshow circuit for decades, and now is back to traing. Not to mention it flew through a tree without harm to itself. It's a well built soap bubble!

If I want to fly crazy, bizarre, fragile, clapped out shit that's MY problem! Stick on commercial flights, Chardok, and you'll be in an environment even more safe than what I am flying in - and general aviation just had it's safest year since they started keeping records.

Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Broomstick wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:I'm sure if the planes made of tin were not safe Broomstick, being the smart lady she is, wouldn't be flying them every chance she gets as well.
If the Stearman wasn't safe... how did it get to be 62 years old? I mean, seriously - this airplane has NOT been coddled or sitting in a museum somewhere. It started life with 18 year old young-stud military hotheads bouncing it off runways, worked the airshow circuit for decades, and now is back to traing. Not to mention it flew through a tree without harm to itself. It's a well built soap bubble!

If I want to fly crazy, bizarre, fragile, clapped out shit that's MY problem! Stick on commercial flights, Chardok, and you'll be in an environment even more safe than what I am flying in - and general aviation just had it's safest year since they started keeping records.

Which means they're WAY overdue for a disaster.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Wicked Pilot wrote:
Broomstick wrote:This is a better view of the Stearman instrument panel
What instrument panel?
Hey, man, I didn't give you a shot of what passes for the "floor" in that thing or you'd REALLY be laughing your ass off. :P
Broomstick wrote:So... um... if that's the case... why does this g-meter go up to +12?
Student solos plus gusty winds in the pattern probably.
No, seriously - you hit +9 in that thing the wings snap off. Regrettably, there are such accidents in the NTSB database. The airplane will never hit +12 because it will disassemble before that point.

They don't do primary training in the Decathalon. They don't even do primary tailwheel training like I'm taking in the Decathalon. They really do try to keep the stress under 5g's - if turbulence prevents that, they either modify the routine or go home.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Anyhow, folks - I'm off to bed soon and my husband is muttering about wanting to see me sometime tonight. Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Sometime this week I'll post the narrative to go with some of these pictures over in Off Topic.

G'night!

Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Chardok wrote:The only reason I made it to new orleans and back with my sanity is because of Vodka and Ativan. LOTS of Ativan. And I STILL didn't pass out until I was off the plane, safe on the ground.
Yeah, I guess so. I can't say how afraid you should be or whatever. I just wanted to let you know that planes are safe, but obviously if you have a genuine huge fear of flying nobody can say anything to help you out with that.

At least you didn't run up and down the ailes of the plane screaming let me off let me off when you were 10,000 feet in the air ;)
Chardok wrote:Which means they're WAY overdue for a disaster.
Of course, you are going to see it that way no matter what we try and tell you. I hope you never have your fears come true, and you eventually overcome them as well.

*hugs*
Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

I have a question:

Are these photographs from the same plane? The ones on the far right are from your post describing the Stearman, but I wasn't sure if the ones you posted earlier (shown on the left) are also from the same plane.

Thank you for posting these; they add some color to your stories.
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

Broomstick, thats even less instrumentation then a Cessna! :P

And Chardok, some of the planes are PLASTIC :P
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Dangermouse wrote:I have a question:
Are these photographs from the same plane? The ones on the far right are from your post describing the Stearman, but I wasn't sure if the ones you posted earlier (shown on the left) are also from the same plane.
Yep all the same airplane.

It would be great if they had more than one, but they aren't cheap or easy to maintain because not every mechanic has the skills to do so anymore. Rib stitching is a very different skill than riveting.

Ain't cheap to rent, either - my first hour in the Stearman is going to cost me around $180. Assuming the price of fuel doesn't go up significantly in the meanwhile. Which means I may only get one hour in the Stearman. As usual, the spirit is willing but the wallet is weak.

They do give just out-and-out rides to tourists, and you don't have to buy a whole hour. So if you're ever in Morris, Illinois and would like to have an airplane ride just follow the little airplanes to the airport and ask for a ride. You have several airplanes to choose from, and they'll probably be willing to make it as exciting or as tame as you want.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tiger Ace wrote:Broomstick, thats even less instrumentation then a Cessna! :P
Yes. That is correct. Remember a couple days ago when I mentioned you don't need instruments for the sort of flying I do?

I do like to have airspeed and altimeter at a minimum, but I've flown without even those once or twice.

How is your flying going Ace?
And Chardok, some of the planes are PLASTIC :P
True. But I didn't take any pictures of those, at least not this time.

Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

Bromstick, I blame european weather, for the past week its been raining and hailing, so no flying, hopefully this week will clear up. 8)

Its Ace Pace.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Just where are you again, Ace? - I remembered "Europe", but that's a lot of territory.

Thanks to you, I was re-noticing the lag-time between the controls and the instrumentation on the Citabria in a way I hadn't for quite awhile.

Could you send us some of your rain? The American Midwest is a little short on moisture this year, and we'd be happy to trade some of our hot, dry, calm summer air for it.

[Complete and total change of subject]

As for Chardok and his fear of flying - I can relate. At one point in my life I was so afraid of getting on an airplane I'd puke (yeah, I'm a fear-puker. The only good thing is you have to scare me really really badly to bring it up). Very embarassing, having to travel on business, standing in the boarding area at O'Hare heaving up breakfast. Also had to try to hide it from the airline personnel because I didn't think they'd let someone with vomit tendencies on the airplane. Still got on the airplane anyway. Shook and shivered all the way to Arizona. That was a long flight.

Obviously, I got over it.

Thing is, Chardok has to want to get over it.

No, I've never actually thrown up while in an airplane, although the first time I went up with the man who would be the designated examiner for my private license I almost upchucked on him. How embarassing. That was a hell of a first impression, wasn't it? He had to fly the Cessna back with me hanging my head out the window trying to get some fresh air and him reminding me NOT to try to puke out the side because the airstream would just send it into the back seat. No barf bags on board, wouldn't you know? Got back down on the ground and ran to the Ladies'. Got over the toilet just in time. The rest of the guys were really concerned - "Broomstick never gets airsick!" was one of the comments. They were hovering just outside the door, torn between wanting to "rescue" me and the taboo against entering the Ladies. How sweet.

I was coming down with some sort of stomach bug - spent the next three days in the smallest room of my house. Ick.

Got over that, too.

Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

Latvia, which is in europe, barely.

And send some of the rain, no problem, I came here with SHORTS, not with long pants.

And fear of flying, I wouldn't know, I've been flying regularly since I was two, sensations are as natural to me as being in a car. :)

Its Ace Pace.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I was fearless about flying until ---

....um, Chardok, stop reading now

I acquired a fear of flying after a commercial flight that started with the airplane on fire and shedding parts. Alright, that's a little more dramatic than is necessary, but it was Bad Experience. But like I said, I got over it.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tiger Ace wrote:Latvia, which is in europe, barely.
Latvia?

Is there an interesting story behind that, or is it simply that you just happen to live there?

Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

Long, annoying story that ties into hatred for alot of people and a nice work place.

And a dear hatred for european weather keeping me on the ground.

Its Ace Pace.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Broomstick.
Could you ID this plane for me?
Thanks.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's not a Tiger Moth or Waco... It's too small to be a Waco and Wacos have rounded tails (IIRC) The upper wing is the wrong shape for a Tiger Moth. I don't think it's a Fokker - those have rounded vertical stabilizer and this one is squared off. It's not a Jenny. Not a Pitts.

You don't happen to have a shot of it with the registration number, would you? Or from another angle?

About the only other thing I can think of is the Detroit-Parks, but those are rare and I've only seen a picture of one once, so I'm not at all sure that's a match.

Do you have an actual answer, or are you looking for one?

It could be a kit plane.

It could be heavily modified.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I guess I've mostly said what it's NOT - don't know if that helps or not!

Chardok

Post by Chardok »

I think my problem with flight extends from assuming everyone besides me that I do not know is a moron. (You have to, a lot of the time, in order to idiot proof your interactions.) so, I assume the maintenance workers are idiots, and don't know what they're doing, I assume the pilots are morons, and don't know how to fly, or they are on the verge of making a careless mistake, which I do often, the air traffic controllers are idiots, and it's their first day on the freaking job. Yeah, I'm sure they go through thourough training before they start. So did I before I started servicing mortgages, and I remember what an idiot I was when I first started here. no freaking thank you.

AND THE WINGS MOVE! DID YOU KNOW THAT? THEY TWIST AND FLEX AND ALL KIND OF OTHER CRAP! MOVe, I TELL YOU! AND THEY'RE MADE OF ALUMINUM! EVER BEND AN ALUMINUM CAN? Do it several times and tlel me what happens!! GAH! Forget it! I'll drive! At least then I'm somewhat in control of my own destiny!