Jellies: Phantoms of the Deep (Big Pics Inside 56Kers)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Jellies: Phantoms of the Deep (Big Pics Inside 56Kers)

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Some of the animals I work with as a husbandry volunteer/student who needs to build resume

Pictures taken by the love of my life, whose initials happen to be KY. Tell me I lucked out on that one, wooooo!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I get creeped out by them a bit, ever since that movie 'Sphere'. But they are amazing little creatures.

Got bioluminescent ones?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

How poisonous are those want? I doubt they've got things such as a sea wasp, but you never know until you ask.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

@ Shroom Man:

I'm pretty sure we don't, we used to have some Comb Jellies that refracted light off their cilia though in a oruscating pattern that was absulutely messed up, and a couple exhibits of flashlight fish and pine cone ifsh that are bioluminescent

@ Tasoth:

The most venomous one we have is a West Coast Sea Nettle, which could really wreck you. But most of the ones we have on display aren't capable of injuring someone the same way a box jelly or a Man I War (which isn't a jelly, but a hydroid) could do.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

What do these West Coast Sea Nettle ones do to you? Can they kill you?
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I love jellyfish. I mean, they worry me (Australia - jellyfish are just one more thing that will kill you), but some of them are amongst the most beautiful things I've ever encountered.

While SCUBA diving at Bicheno once, a friend and I encountered a group of jellies which were about 6-8 inches long and shaped like an stretched egg. They had a hole running lengthwise through their body that was lined with cilia which sparkled all the colours of the rainbow as they moved. They had 4 "wings" stretching off the diagonals of their body, each a few inches long and again, lined with cilia which sparkled. And they also had a short tentacle between each set of wings that acted almost like a prehensile limb...

It was absolutely beautiful. I shall try to find a picture of one.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

That's them... Beautiful no? Imagine a cloud of them, slowly moving around and those strips of colour just constantly cycling through colours... Amazing.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Cnidarians are indeed beautiful creatures. Those of you wondering what that foreign word means, it's the Family(been a while) that jellyfish belong to. Also includes Anemone and Hydras.

Fear the minute pond hunter.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Tasoth wrote:Cnidarians are indeed beautiful creatures. Those of you wondering what that foreign word means, it's the Family(been a while) that jellyfish belong to. Also includes Anemone and Hydras.

wasnt that thing from Deep Rising also such creature? Rather cute
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

I hate Jellyfish. I know a lot of people consider them beautiful, but they just really fucking creep me out.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

wautd wrote:
Tasoth wrote:Cnidarians are indeed beautiful creatures. Those of you wondering what that foreign word means, it's the Family(been a while) that jellyfish belong to. Also includes Anemone and Hydras.

wasnt that thing from Deep Rising also such creature? Rather cute
Nope, that would be the kraken, a massive, mutant cephalopod. Hydras are neat in that, well, they're pond anemone/jellyfish. Watching them move about a watch glass is neat, especially once you put daphnea in with them.

Mecha Maniac
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Shiiiny! Like...a big, glowee, spaceship thing...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

As an aspiring marine biologist I put my Seal of Approval on this topic.

"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

WeemadAndo Pics = CTENOPHORES!!!!!! Comb Jellies!!!!! WE used to have a couple of species on display, they fucking rock. Those are the guys with the cilia that have the color reflecting constantly.

Tasoth= Cindaria is a Phylum, not a family. Includes Stinging Jellies (Comb Jellies are a different phylum), Corals, and Anemones.

Mrs Kendall = What we have posted in the Lab is that you can get severe pain on the affected area, possibly shock, at any rate its enough to warrant an immediate trip to the ER along with providing advance notice of the specific poison.

West Coast Nettles

Blue Jellies a.k.a Brown Blubbers (theres a story to that)

I should get some shots of the Purple Striped Jellies sometime.

Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Absolutely beautiful. I always love going to the Monterey Bay aquirium and looking at their jelly displays. Although, they've got some odd "jelly art" display last I was there.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Temjin wrote:I hate Jellyfish. I know a lot of people consider them beautiful, but they just really fucking creep me out.
They are kinda creepy... Very alien-looking. No brain, no heart... just floating along, waiting to ensnare passers-by. They can be rather visually interesting, though... especially those glowing ones like in the photos posted above.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Darth Fanboy wrote: Tasoth= Cindaria is a Phylum, not a family. Includes Stinging Jellies (Comb Jellies are a different phylum), Corals, and Anemones.
Thanks. It's been a while since I've had a zoology class. Knew it was something important and held the group of creatures with nematocysts.

Mecha Maniac
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Darth Fanboy wrote:WeemadAndo Pics = CTENOPHORES!!!!!! Comb Jellies!!!!! WE used to have a couple of species on display, they fucking rock. Those are the guys with the cilia that have the color reflecting constantly.
I wish I could see them again... I'm trying to get back into shape after my hit of glandular fever last year and earn enough money to buy my own BC and reg set so I can get back into diving. Anyhoo - when I do, be sure that I'll try and get one of the crappy and cheap disposable underwater cameras (only proofed to a few metres, but I've taken them to 20m before without issue), that way I can start posting some stuff here.