Are you like George Lucas?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Have you ever made significant revisions-- more details, new scenes, different endings, etc.-- to stories you've already posted?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 22

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Are you like George Lucas?

Post by Sidewinder »

Have you ever read one of your old stories, asked yourself, "Is this my best work, or can I do a better job?" and revised the story?

George Lucas is the most famous-- or infamous-- person to do so, but he's not the only one. Do fan fiction writers do this? If so, how often?

I haven't kept a count of how often I revise my stories, but I can spend years trying to perfect them. Would you care to talk about your own experiences with revisions?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

If it's posted on the board, I don't change it. That's seems kind of cheap to me. If it's not posted, it's not really 'published' yet, than it's a work in progress and it's fair game.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Generally, I only fix spelling and grammatical errors in released works. Thats not really a story revision though.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

I've been tempted to do it a couple of times with The Best of Both Worlds, especially with my now more experienced and improved writing style and ideas that I realized I could have used and want to incorporate earlier into the story. But. I have to respect what has gone before and work from there.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

I've completely rewritten A Prelude to War (and retitled it too) since the last major version that I posted, but the difference is that I'm going to just leave the old version up once the new one is finished (instead of saying, "This is my work, you can't get any earlier versions."). It's more just because I like showing the creative process in work.

As for rewriting it, I did it because the earlier edition, quite frankly, stunk from a literary perspective.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I've made big changes to many stories.

Often they take on a life of their own and I make changes to them later based on new developments that I feel are more beneficial than earlier, awkward developments.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

One of my scripts, even after positive feedback after showing it around, I scrapped everything but the first slugline and rewrote it from a red vs blue ripoff to something dramatic, edgey and moody.

And in A Series of Unfortunate Coincidence I changed Luke's sith name after negative feedback from it.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

Yes... I do major revisions occaisionally, even before the story is finished
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I rewrote the end of my last Dalek fic to show a Time Wars Dalek, so, yes. Yes I am.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Hey, I've done one better than any of you so far; I literally deleted my entire story and started from scratch once.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I did that once myself. I'll alter a story if I believe that the continuity is a little screwy, or such.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

Hey, I've done one better than any of you so far; I literally deleted my entire story and started from scratch once.
I've done that, several times, on the first chapter alone.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Shit, I'm still revising old stuff of mine until I feel it's "worth Printing"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Well... For the Special Director's Limited Cut Unedited Edition of The Adventures of Don Wan Tu I was going to rewrite Rathy as chucking a beer bottle at Blarny first and replace O'Leary the Bartender with a giant talking slug and a really shitty pop band with a freakish alien singing in Swahili...
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
R.O.A
Padawan Learner

Post by R.O.A »

I dont presently have any fanfics posted here but for my ones at other places yes ive been changing the same story for months now
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Mark S wrote:If it's posted on the board, I don't change it. That's seems kind of cheap to me.
In my opinion, it's cheap to NOT try to make my stories as good as I can make them. If I have to change something I already posted, fine-- it's like a software company issuing patches, a hassle, but a necessity to ensure the product's integrity.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Sidewinder wrote:In my opinion, it's cheap to NOT try to make my stories as good as I can make them. If I have to change something I already posted, fine-- it's like a software company issuing patches, a hassle, but a necessity to ensure the product's integrity.
But this isn't software to patch. It's a story and it's already out there. People are already following it the way you had it written the first time. Writing yourself into a corner and than just going back and adding something in at the beginning to help you out in the end, adding the gun hanging on the wall, just because you can't think of how to work with what you have, is just cheap and low end. "Uh, sorry guys. I don't know how to work this out so I've gone back and changed some stuff from five chapters ago. It should make sense now."

I'm not talking about polishing up grammer and spell mistakes, I'm talking about, as the OP said, pulling a George Lucas and rewriting parts that people already know to be what the story is. That's just insulting to your audiance. It was when GL did it and it is here too. Do that shit before you set it loose on the public, not after.

So it turns out not to be your best work. So what? No one had to pay for it. So it turns out you can't figure out how to work with what you have and it's entirely unfinishable. So what? You learned from it and you'll do better next time, but you can't take back what you've done once people see it. And if it's a finished work that you're changing again and again, how many times do you expect people to read the same thing just because you want to make it better... again and again. How many do-overs do you need?

People aren't reading fanfics to be your proofreaders, they're reading to be entertained. Everyone who posts a story on this board looking for constructive feedback is brutally aware of this. Yes, you definitely should make your stories as good as you can, but do it before you start posting. Why would you expect an audiance to sit through all your iterations?
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I'm not talking about polishing up grammer and spell mistakes, I'm talking about, as the OP said, pulling a George Lucas and rewriting parts that people already know to be what the story is. That's just insulting to your audiance. It was when GL did it and it is here too. Do that shit before you set it loose on the public, not after.
:shock:
What has Lucas done other than polish the sound and visuals (essentially grammar and spelling checks) and add in a few random scenes that had no bearing on the plot that he wanted to add but due to time/tech constraits couldn't. Some of the continuity changes are more questionable, but I fail to see how adding the wampa in ESB is insulting. Its not like he added Lando in ANH just so he can go "Ooo foreshadowing."
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Noble Ire wrote: :shock:
What has Lucas done other than polish the sound and visuals (essentially grammar and spelling checks) and add in a few random scenes that had no bearing on the plot that he wanted to add but due to time/tech constraits couldn't. Some of the continuity changes are more questionable, but I fail to see how adding the wampa in ESB is insulting. Its not like he added Lando in ANH just so he can go "Ooo foreshadowing."
I believe he's largely referring to the infamous "Greedo shot first" debacle.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I think that if I can improve my story i'll do it, but unlike GL can do I will be willing to reverse the change if it proved unpopular
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Noble Ire wrote: :shock:
Well, Greedo shooting first is one. Changing the Emperor and his dialogue in ESB so that it fits better with the prequals is another. To a lesser extent, so is changing old Anakin ghost into young Anakin ghost. Why was it so hard to write the prequals around the already existing movies? All he had to do was watch them.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Well, Greedo shooting first is one. Changing the Emperor and his dialogue in ESB so that it fits better with the prequals is another. To a lesser extent, so is changing old Anakin ghost into young Anakin ghost. Why was it so hard to write the prequals around the already existing movies? All he had to do was watch them.
Condeeded, the ESB dialogue change was completely unecissary, and the other two were as well (although the newer Greedo scene is an improvement over the SE edition.)
The Rift
Kruk
Youngling

Post by Kruk »

Yes. I've change my stories from time to time. My first (and till now only) story in english is very different from Polish original
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Mark S wrote: I'm not talking about polishing up grammer and spell mistakes, I'm talking about, as the OP said, pulling a George Lucas and rewriting parts that people already know to be what the story is. That's just insulting to your audiance. It was when GL did it and it is here too. Do that shit before you set it loose on the public, not after.
In that case, will you volunteer to proofread for me, so I can avoid being put in a situation where I must edit a story AFTER it's been put on this BBS?

Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Sidewinder wrote:In that case, will you volunteer to proofread for me, so I can avoid being put in a situation where I must edit a story AFTER it's been put on this BBS?
Brother, I have enough of my own trouble finding the time to write the next chapter of Manifest Destiny and get a couple revisions in (the latest chapter took something like seven months) without dedicating myself to editing someone else's work. I even posted an open call in the Writer's Guild for just this sort of help myself.

I would suggest that you join the Writer's Guild and hopefully a few people in there will be able to give you their opinions. Otherwise, just agree that we have fundimentally different philosiphies as to what the 'submit' button means when it comes to our work, and keep on doing what you're doing.