How many actual Completed Fics are there here?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

How many actual Completed Fics are there here?

Post by Noble Ire »

Just as the title suggests, how many of the fics here, aside from one or two page micro-stories and the like, have actually been completed? I ask because it strikes me at the very low number of fics in the completed forum. Are there some other requirements for having your fic entered in there, or are those actually the only ones that have been completed (or cleaned up)?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Anywhere you find fan fiction, you find very small numbers of completed fics. Most people start writing without a clear or often any end planned, and so generally they don't reach one even if they write a substantial amount.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Most people start writing without a clear or often any end planned, and so generally they don't reach one even if they write a substantial amount.
In my case, once I write the beginning, I'd have a clear idea of how to end it. The problem is how to reach the ending-- like a traveller who can see his destination, but not the road that would lead to it.

By the way, I've been posting completed chapters-- long ones-- on this BBS, seeking some advice on how to improve upon them. I haven't gotten any comments on my grammar, plot, character development, etc. Should I start posting very short chapters, or sections of chapters, instead?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I've started a bunch, but the only one I have finished is my Harry Potter fic, but now I am writing a sequel to that.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Sidewinder wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Most people start writing without a clear or often any end planned, and so generally they don't reach one even if they write a substantial amount.
In my case, once I write the beginning, I'd have a clear idea of how to end it. The problem is how to reach the ending-- like a traveller who can see his destination, but not the road that would lead to it.

By the way, I've been posting completed chapters-- long ones-- on this BBS, seeking some advice on how to improve upon them. I haven't gotten any comments on my grammar, plot, character development, etc. Should I start posting very short chapters, or sections of chapters, instead?
Meh, you have to realize the sheer amount of fics that get posted here. It's really hard to 'drum' up support or fans for you fic to get some constructive critisim since interest is spread out between quite a few fics.

Be persistent, I guess. If ya have to, PM a chunk to some one who you think may be interested and have them take a look.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Re: How many actual Completed Fics are there here?

Post by Kuja »

Noble Ire wrote:Just as the title suggests, how many of the fics here, aside from one or two page micro-stories and the like, have actually been completed? I ask because it strikes me at the very low number of fics in the completed forum. Are there some other requirements for having your fic entered in there, or are those actually the only ones that have been completed (or cleaned up)?
Only the ultra-popular fics that get read by a lot of people are put up there. Originally they were posted in cleaned up form at the top of the fanfic forum, but when the stickies got too much, we created a little subforum for the cleaned-up ones. The idea behind cleaned up fics was to let interested folks read the stories without having to scan through 20+ reply posts between each chapter.
JADAFETWA
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I must change subject for one moment to say that Battle of the Hymn was truly, truly awesome.

back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I actually planned out most of the storyline for my staled fic, but I just don't have motivation to write right now. Besides, it's not as if anyone actually *reads* my fic anyways...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Hawkwings wrote:I must change subject for one moment to say that Battle of the Hymn was truly, truly awesome.

back to your regularly scheduled programming...

I actually planned out most of the storyline for my staled fic, but I just don't have motivation to write right now. Besides, it's not as if anyone actually *reads* my fic anyways...
Why thank you. It was quite a rid for me too. I still need some one to edit it, but...thats neither here nor there.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Be persistent, I guess. If ya have to, PM a chunk to some one who you think may be interested and have them take a look.
Hmm, perhaps I shall try that.
The Rift seems oft forgotten, perhaps I should try some more agressive types of advertising...

Or mabye its just not that good. Who knows?
The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Well, I know what we can do, all of us asspiring writers can read each others stories and give reviews.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Agent Fisher wrote:Well, I know what we can do, all of us asspiring writers can read each others stories and give reviews.
Hmmm. If only there were a place for that...
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Mark S wrote:
Agent Fisher wrote:Well, I know what we can do, all of us asspiring writers can read each others stories and give reviews.
He means one that is actively used more than once a month, IMHO the Writers Guild needs some kind of renaissance. Perhaps I should dust off some unpolished material and dump it in for comments and or suggestions.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Mark S wrote:
He means one that is actively used more than once a month, IMHO the Writers Guild needs some kind of renaissance. Perhaps I should dust off some unpolished material and dump it in for comments and or suggestions.
Well, techically I post several times a month . . . .
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Darth Fanboy wrote:He means one that is actively used more than once a month, IMHO the Writers Guild needs some kind of renaissance. Perhaps I should dust off some unpolished material and dump it in for comments and or suggestions.
It certainly does need an overhaul of some sort. I'll agree with you there.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

You know, I have tried to get into there, but I wasnt admitted.
Anomie
Padawan Learner
Location: Between the begining of time and the end of the universe

Post by Anomie »

Noble Ire wrote:
Hmm, perhaps I shall try that.
The Rift seems oft forgotten, perhaps I should try some more agressive types of advertising...

Or mabye its just not that good. Who knows?
It hasn't been forgotten. I at least have been waiting for a new chapter. You should know that I like it since I PMed you to ask if I could write my own story based on your plotline. :D

If I hadn't come to this thread on a whim, I never would have realized you were having these difficulties. If you want to, you can PM me with your stories.

As for completed stories, for myself at least, I try to finish a story before I post it anywhere. There have been to many times when I have found a story that I liked, only to find the author has left it unfinished.
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"Explosions fix everything" - Nabeshin - Excel Saga
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
CoVD:We are all but a part of a dream that Vin Diesel is having.
Church of Perverts: As the Lord commands, so shall we do. And do. And do.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

It hasn't been forgotten. I at least have been waiting for a new chapter. You should know that I like it since I PMed you to ask if I could write my own story based on your plotline.
Thanks. :)
I'll have a new chapter up soon, sorry its been taking so long. I put off summer homework a bit too long. :wink:
The Rift
Anomie
Padawan Learner
Location: Between the begining of time and the end of the universe

Post by Anomie »

I put off summer homework a bit too long.
Putting off homework. Boy, do I understand that one!

Get the important things done first, we'll still be here when you get your next chapter up.

I myself will have to put my two fics on the back-burner for awhile as I go back to college next week, so I'll be in the same boat. :lol:
You shall be the instrument of my vengence. Through you I shall scream out my wrath unto the heavens.
"Explosions fix everything" - Nabeshin - Excel Saga
"When you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss comments on how you have no social life."
"We jumped the shark AND took its wallet" My friend commenting upon our groups dinner conversation.
CoVD:We are all but a part of a dream that Vin Diesel is having.
Church of Perverts: As the Lord commands, so shall we do. And do. And do.