What music makes you cry?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

"(all I have to do is) Dream" as performed by The Nylons So simple, so beautiful, and the memories it brings back of the times when me & my BF were so far away. I get a teary-eyed smile every time I hear it.

Some of the Blues music my BF listens to gets me all choked up, it's just such an intense emotional experience and there are times when I have to stop listening before I completely break down in tears.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The live 11 minute version of Jimi Hendrix's "Red House". That is blues.
A lot of my Blues music will leave me fighting back tears.

Cowboy Junkies - "Misguided Angel". There's just something about the way Margo sings it.

Several Sarah McLachlan and Tori Amos songs, just the beauty & emotion and the way they sing.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Don't the name of the song to save my life, but...

There was an episode of Futurama where Fry tried to clone his dog. Fry eventually decided that since his dog lived for many years after he disappeared, he had found a happy and fulfilling life without him.

Cut to the sequence where you see Fry's dog waiting by the pizza place, living out the rest of his days as the neighborhood grows rattier and rattier, waiting and waiting for Fry as that song plays.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lonestar wrote:Don't the name of the song to save my life, but...

There was an episode of Futurama where Fry tried to clone his dog. Fry eventually decided that since his dog lived for many years after he disappeared, he had found a happy and fulfilling life without him.

Cut to the sequence where you see Fry's dog waiting by the pizza place, living out the rest of his days as the neighborhood grows rattier and rattier, waiting and waiting for Fry as that song plays.
Google says it's called "I Will Wait for You", sung by Frank Sinatra.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Tokaji Kyoden
Padawan Learner

Post by Tokaji Kyoden »

The music from Aerith's death scene in FF7
Great song, listening to it right now. Another one that gets me is the ending(end of series) song of Cowboy Bebop. Called "blue" by Yoko Kanno, its just so beautiful, and it always makes me think of Spoiler
Spike dying.
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Since everyone started bringing up TV Show/Movie stuff it triggered one of those lapsed moments that always hits me when I see/hear it but never when I'm trying to think of things so I therefore add:

Into The West Annie Lennox(thanks for reminding me of that one Dalt)
Wild Horses The Sundays (from the Buffy prom episode, damn I'm a sucker for that scene and hearing the song brings it back)
Prayer of St Francis Sarach McLachlan (another Buffy based one but also damn moving in and of itself)
You Can Close Your Eyes James Taylor (its so quietly moving I love to go to sleep with this on in the background)
Sometimes I Feel Hootie and the Blowfish (this was the "hidden" track on Cracked Rear View and the accapella rendition just gets me for whatever reason)
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Dalton wrote:When Johnny Comes Marching Home
So Dr. Strangelove is a comedy and all, but their rendition of that song was really, really good. Very moving.

Also, Adagio for Strings, both the regular one in Platoon and the choral version. Very good stuff.

Awakening - Final Fantasy VI.

And it doesn't make me really feel like crying or anything, but Cid's Theme from Final Fantasy VII is very moving as well. Sending a Dream into the Universe is the version that does almost make me want to cry, especially with the scenes in the game aboard the rocket when it's used.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Grahf: Seeker Of Power
Padawan Learner

Post by Grahf: Seeker Of Power »

Down In A Hole by Alice in Chains always got me worked up, never actually cried from a song before.
"STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS"
My Imgur Profile: https://imgur.com/user/WheelerThigpen
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

* Theme to Schindler's List; this is part of the reason I break down into tears every time I watch the film.

* Going Home, from Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water. Even if it's not seen in the final episode, the sequence is still powerful and causes a tear or two to trickle down my face every now and then.

* Deep Space Nine: The musical sequence that plays in the series-finale as the characters look back on their seven years on the station.
Last edited by JME2 on 2005-08-17 12:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
WyrdNyrd
Jedi Knight

Post by WyrdNyrd »

Dakarne wrote:Most things which were written and performed before 1975...

Because they burn my ears.
I just knew some dumbfuck was going to make a comment like this. Screw you, and the diseased horse you rode in on. :evil:

Anyway, as I alluded to in the initial post, I tend to feel a little silly when I get all choked up over music. Some part of me insists that its immature to react that way. Thanks to all of you for showing me that it's perfectly natural. :)
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

Tokaji Kyoden wrote:Another one that gets me is the ending(end of series) song of Cowboy Bebop. Called "blue" by Yoko Kanno, its just so beautiful, and it always makes me think of Spoiler
Spike dying.
I was never too fond of that song. The really short one played right before it was beautiful, though. Also from Cowboy Bebop, I like Space Lion. It's the saxophone music played in episodes 12 and 13 (Jupiter Jazz, parts 1 and 2).
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Lonestar wrote:Don't the name of the song to save my life, but...

I can't watch that episode, it's so damn gutting.

For songs that effect me, well, the goosebumps side is firmly taken by A Therapy for Pain by Fear Factory. Reminds me of a time a few years ago when we hung out at a friend's house instead of going to the send off "prom" equivalent. Anyway, while I was waiting for a lift over to my friend's house, I was gazing out of the window with warm winds blowing in and no sound from the outside world. I could've been the only person alive and it wouldn't have sounded any different. Great song.

As for weepy... For my fallen angel by My Dying Bride. It made me feel so sorry while I was listening to it, the violin in it is just so mournful.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Chardok wrote:I don't cry for lightning crashes video, Don't konw why. but I ALWAYS bawl when I see the Collective Soul video.
I think I cry at the Lightning Crashes video because I've been through childbirth and it's very touching. I've never even seen the Collective Soul video though. *goes to search for it on the net*
Powerofgreyskull
Redshirt

Post by Powerofgreyskull »

"The Show Must Go On", by Queen. Freddie Mercury was dying of AIDS when he wrote that song, and whenever I hear it, it gives me shivers.

I'll face it with a grin...
I'm never giving in...
On with the show...
"Yes, there IS such a thing as an ex-Airman!"
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

IndustrialNoise wrote:3 Libras by A Perfect Circle will do it for me sometimes...Maynard James Keenan's voice at it's prettiest, and an overall beautiful song. The video for their cover of Imagine, too.

Metallica - Fade to Black
Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
Tool - Pushit
(The live version, off of Salival)
Ya, those are all pretty powerfull for me too. The acoustic Three Libras makes you want to kill yourself and the demo of Orestes is pretty cool in that way too.
d(-_-)b
President Sharky
Jedi Knight

Post by President Sharky »

Ode to Joy from Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The uplifting feeling of the music just makes me shed tears of joy (duh!)

The Andante from Beethoven's 7th Symphony, whose use in several films (and some WWII documentaries) brought me to tears.

EDIT: Forgot to add the funeral march from Beethoven's Eroica.
Last edited by President Sharky on 2005-08-18 11:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Summoning - Farewell
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Agnus Dei -- the vocal adaptation of Adagio for Strings -- brings me close to tears; so does the funeral march from the Eroica Symphony.

Pretty much any vocal music will do it, as long as it is melancholic and longing (and preferably in a 'bright' minor key). Touches a chord in me, I guess.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

She moved through the fair

one of my favorite love ballads period, and being very Celtic it ends in tragedy

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Loss, performed by Blast. Beautiful instrumental music, and it's even more effective when you watch the video of it too. The emotions of the performers, and especially the soloist, really gets to you.
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

House at Pooh Corner - Kenny Loggins
Simple Song - Lyle Lovett
10,000 miles - Any performer, but the one I've heard the most was Mary Chapin Carpenter.
Grow old along with me - Again, Mary Chapin Carpenter.
When it's cold I'd like to die - Moby
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

The following which remind me of my lady friend and have made me tear up:

The Rose - Bette Midler
Love Song For A Vampire - Annie Lennox
A Little Respect - Erasure
Losing My Religion - R.E.M
Burn - The Cure
My Immortal - Evanescence
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - The Shirelles

Football related, You'll Never Walk Alone, which I last remember singing in Paradise when we stopped the Huns bid for 10-in-a-row. And the Irish folk song, Fields of Athenry, which was very popular with the Tims in the 1990s during Celtic's near decade of trophy famine (the imagery is obvious).
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Harry Chapin - Cats in The Cradle.

I just can't stand to listen to it. That goes for a lot of Chapin's work.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dooku's Disciple
Padawan Learner

Post by Dooku's Disciple »

Led Zeppelin- The Rain Song (1973)

Led Zeppelin- Tangerine (1970)

John Lennon- How? (1971)

Beatles- The Long And Winding Road (1970), because I first heard it the morning after my grandfather died.

WASP- The Idol/Hold on To My Heart (1992)

Iron Maiden- 2 AM (1995)

DD
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom..."
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Djavan - Oceano
When performed by Fernando Holz and crew, I find myself trying to hold back from crying because it is such a beautiful piece.

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concertos 2&3
When the third concert was performed by my school's orchesta, there was nary a dry eye in the house. At the very last note, everyone rose to their feet in applause. The second concerto is pretty in it's own right.

John Coltrane - Afro Blue (live at Birdland)
A real portrait of power.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein