Is Rock Dead?? (A Commentary on Music Genres)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Is Rock Dead?? (A Commentary on Music Genres)

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

This is an opinion thread where we can discuss the the Rise and Fall of various music genres ranging from Rock, pop, rap, Jazz, R&B, Metal, and numerous other genres and Sub-Genres.

What Particular Artist and/or events Led to the rise/fall of Any of the Above Genres? Add your own if you'd like.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

There are too many bands that led to the demise of rock to name just one...but Creed is a convenient target, so I'll blame them.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Rock is still alive. Sure I haven't heard anything approaching led zeppelin lately but there's lots of great stuff out there if you look. Though if we're assuming it's dead then I too would like to blame Creed for they suck much ass.
THEHOOLIGANJEDI
Jedi Council Member

Post by THEHOOLIGANJEDI »

Joe wrote:There are too many bands that led to the demise of rock to name just one...but Creed is a convenient target, so I'll blame them.
Remember this is more than Just a discussion on Just Rock or just the "fall" of Rock. Discuss any genre Rise and Fall.
Stupid risks are what make life worth living.-Homer Simpson

-PC Load Letter?! What the Fuck does that mean!?!?!- Micheal Bolton
-Bullshit! I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose! - Sgt. Hartman
-I'll bet your the kind of guy who would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the Goddamn common courtesy to give him a reacharound!- Sgt. Hartman
DoctorPhanan
Youngling

Post by DoctorPhanan »

Ska. Ska is dead and it makes me sad. :cry:

Its unfortunate that a genre which inspired so many others has to fade so far into obscurity, but I guess thats the way all music goes (except classical). Still, I am hard pressed to find similar genres that have the energetic peppiness that Third-Wave ska does.
Postcount +1
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Joe wrote:There are too many bands that led to the demise of rock to name just one...but Creed is a convenient target, so I'll blame them.
If it makes you feel any better, I always thought the big hair bands of the late eighties almost killed off rock. It took Grunge to kick shit off again, but with most things, you find a fix and they'll just grind it into the earth too.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red