BSG: "Home" Part 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

xerex wrote:according to the preview the next episode of galactica is in TWO weeks? whats next friday?
I would guess, a rerun.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Plushie
Padawan Learner

Post by Plushie »

xerex wrote:according to the preview the next episode of galactica is in TWO weeks? whats next friday?
"Best of SG1".
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Plushie wrote:
"Best of SG1".
cool!!! now I can go out that Friday.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

End of Subplots?
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Not bloody likely.

The holomap was extremely well done. It gave them the hints, and luckily enough a big glowy gas-cloud is gonna be recognized no matter what direction you're coming from. Nice touch to have it be the clue to lead them in the right direction.

But what is Six?! There's no chip, as far as the Doc found. That little subplot is gonna keep us guessing for a long long time, I think. Especially with the ominous "end of the human race" comment there at the end. That gave me shivers.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Plushie
Padawan Learner

Post by Plushie »

You know who Six reminds me of when she's in that psuedo-grease-monkey outfit? From a purely physical resemblance, she actually kind of looks like Starbuck...
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Plushie wrote:You know who Six reminds me of when she's in that psuedo-grease-monkey outfit? From a purely physical resemblance, she actually kind of looks like Starbuck...
My first thought was that Six was Starbuck at that point. I think that was very intentional.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Plushie wrote:You know who Six reminds me of when she's in that psuedo-grease-monkey outfit? From a purely physical resemblance, she actually kind of looks like Starbuck...
That was my thought too!

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Steven Snyder
Jedi Master

Post by Steven Snyder »

[quote="LadyTevar"
But what is Six?! There's no chip, as far as the Doc found. That little subplot is gonna keep us guessing for a long long time, I think. Especially with the ominous "end of the human race" comment there at the end. That gave me shivers.[/quote]

If Cylon wetware was easily distinguishable from normal human tissue, it would be a great way to detect Cylons now wouldn't it?

My money is that he is still chipped, but the equipment on Galactica isn't powerful enough to detect it. Six knows this because Baltar has seen the equipment, so it is a safe bet for her.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Steven Snyder wrote:
LadyTevar wrote: But what is Six?! There's no chip, as far as the Doc found. That little subplot is gonna keep us guessing for a long long time, I think. Especially with the ominous "end of the human race" comment there at the end. That gave me shivers.
If Cylon wetware was easily distinguishable from normal human tissue, it would be a great way to detect Cylons now wouldn't it?

My money is that he is still chipped, but the equipment on Galactica isn't powerful enough to detect it. Six knows this because Baltar has seen the equipment, so it is a safe bet for her.
Wouldn't an odd bit of 'brain' still be seen as out of place?

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

LadyTevar wrote:End of Subplots?
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Not bloody likely.
Well planet subplots at least :P
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Alyeska wrote:
My first thought was that Six was Starbuck at that point. I think that was very intentional.
That was my thought. When I first saw the ponytail, I though Starbuck, so I think it was intentional.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

I now renew my objections to the Cylons being involved in the plot at this point. This show is more interesting when it's focused on the machinations of the human characters, and their adjustment to the loss of homes and to life in the fleet. The Cylons have served their purpose, in my opinion, by being the catalyst for the journey the humans are taking. They have enough to do fixing the colonies they attacked for whatever reason they're doing that, and can reasonably assume the Galactica and the rest of the fleet is desperately chasing a myth. If there's a burning desire to know more about the Cylons, there's room enough for a spinoff about the resistance in the remains of the colonies finding this stuff out. Also, now that Roslin is back in office, could VP Baltar please do something other than slowly go insane and be jerked around by the voice in his head?
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Knife wrote:
Alyeska wrote:
That was my thought. When I first saw the ponytail, I though Starbuck, so I think it was intentional.

oh just remembered. hadnt Baltar just been suggesting that it was Starbuck who was going to bear his child ? and 6 replied that he was in dangerous territory.

It could simply have been 6 mimicing Starbuck to get on baltars nerves. it could also be that from what we saw on "the farm" that Starbuck WILL bear an important child (just not baltar's)
spongyblue
Jedi Knight

Post by spongyblue »

Baby Boxi?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Boxy was already an existing character in the Mini-series and Season One.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Damn but that was a good episode! I did not think Boomer was going to do that, but now that I think about it, it was the best idea.

Zarek's lost his balls it looks like too, I could tell that he was never 100% happy with the idea of killing Apollo, but Adama, no way. Zarek, I think, is become far more moderate. I'm liking Zarek acutally, seems far less of a crazy terrorist, and more... reasonable.

No one struck me as a toaster in this episode.
Plushie
Padawan Learner

Post by Plushie »

Funnily enough, I'm getting my sister way into this show. She watched most of "The Farm" with me and she loved it and now she asks me what happens after I watch it and she's gunna watch the encore.
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Post by Srynerson »

LadyTevar wrote:and luckily enough a big glowy gas-cloud is gonna be recognized no matter what direction you're coming from.
Yes, that irked me too. :? While it would've required more time to explain, a pulsar map would have been more plausible, and in some ways would have created more story possibilities. (Read about using the pulsar map created for the Pioneer and Voyager missions here: +http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/astro/pulsarmap.html)
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I think I know why the Cylon plan involves allowing Galactica to escape and take a convoy of ships to Earth. Since the Cylons want to kill all of Humanity, they need to find the 13th tribe.

Now the real question is, why the apparent contradictory nature of how the Cylons are opperating? Why send Basestars to try and kill Galactica? Why place a Basestar over Kobol if you want them to find Earth? Why board Galactica and try and destroy it? Humanity wouldn't be questioning Cylon motives if the Cylons were never arround because they would assume the Cylons just couldn't track Galactica and the fleet.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Post by Srynerson »

Alyeska wrote:I think I know why the Cylon plan involves allowing Galactica to escape and take a convoy of ships to Earth. Since the Cylons want to kill all of Humanity, they need to find the 13th tribe.
No disrespect intended, ambassador, but haven't people been saying that here since the miniseries?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Srynerson wrote:
Alyeska wrote:I think I know why the Cylon plan involves allowing Galactica to escape and take a convoy of ships to Earth. Since the Cylons want to kill all of Humanity, they need to find the 13th tribe.
No disrespect intended, ambassador, but haven't people been saying that here since the miniseries?
Earlier on it appeared as if the Cylons already knew all of this stuff, but its only recently that its been shown that the Cylons don't for sure know where Earth is.

InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Possibly, but it seems a little silly to me, the Galactica is no where near as well equipped to find earth as the Cylons. They knew all the ledgends, they could have taken the arrow, found the tomb, yadda yadda yadda. Their ships are far more capable, hell their fighters have better jump drives than the Galactica, I suspect they could find Earth in half the time.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, we finally get payoff on much of the subplots running since not only the end of last season and even the mini-series. And now we're on the road back to Earth. I find the possibility of the Lords of Kobol being Ancients-esque group intriguing.

The Baltar scenes were great. I've been fascinated by the theories and debates over the truth behind the manifestation of Number Six and we finally appeared to get an answer -- at least until the final scene.. Could she be an emissary of the Lords of Kobol? And the new Six was...creepy. :wtf:

Either way, it'll be interesting to see where it goes from here.

5/5.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Knife wrote:
Alyeska wrote:
Me...um...five? Even her speech pattern seemed to slip a bit towards Starbuck's (at least, she didn't sound like Six to me for a few sentences).

And apparently the Cylons have their little spats also...since Six doesn't consider Boomer "worthy" of bearing the first human-cylon child.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Definately one of my favorite episodes so far. Perfectly executed, even if the star chart bit was difficult to rationalize. And Six has reached new heights of mind-fuckery. :)

Personally, I don't mind the cylons, but I'm glad the whole "who's going to be the next one" vibe was put aside for this episode.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction