BSG: "Home" Part 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Shadow WarChief
Rabid Monkey

Post by Shadow WarChief »

For a possible explanation of why the Cylons keep trying to vape the Galactica if they actualy did want them to find earth to ensure the genocide of humanity, remember, they're really only trying to destroy the Galactica, not the entire fleet. Without the Galactica acting as a force to unify to fleet, it'd be a lot easier to manipulate the remaining survivors to go where the Cylons desire.

As for why the Cylons don't use the legends and find earth themselves....

Remember, they don't believe in the colonials gods. They believe that there were some historical events that inspired the legends, but they don't believe the colonial gods' divinity. It's quite possible they don't believe the line in the Pythian propheices about the Arrow of Apollo and so, never bothered to try. I am, however, quite intrigued by these "other sources" Boomer mentioned.
Quadlok
Rabid Monkey

Post by Quadlok »

Very nice episode, but there was one thing that bugged me. When Roslin's group was slogging through the woods in the pooring rain, and then the sceen switches, and the rain has stopped and they are all bone dry. Do the Colonials have some sort of super fabric? Because I've been out in the woods in weather like that, and even with much more complete raingear than they were wearing, you get soaked to the skin.

And I'll echo the statement that Six looked like Starbuck.
Watch out, here comes a Spiderpig!

HAB, BOTM
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Has anyone got a torrent? Mininova and torrentspy have failed me and it will be many, many months before BSG filters it's way down here.
:D
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Knife wrote:
Durandal wrote:... what the fuck just happened?
Which part?
Where they were on Earth one minute and the next, Adama's on the Galactica. How the hell did they get back?
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

I think it was one of those hologram thingers, ya know?
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Durandal wrote:
Knife wrote:
Which part?
Where they were on Earth one minute and the next, Adama's on the Galactica. How the hell did they get back?

I assume they flew back.

the story simply skipped past the walk back down the trail and lifting off the planet and jumped straight to when they had returned to the fleet. put it down to bad editing
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

They just decided not to bother with the return journey. Personally, right now I feel that the Cylons want to break the cycle of child killing parent, but don't know how to do it. Not that this episode really explained much of the 'big picture', but it seems in some manner or another, the prophecies are totally real. Be it by religious reasons, or simply some ancient, but mortal plan.

I like this episode. It also highlights the Chief (Fangirl:<3)'s tension at seeing Sharon Deuce, with Helo...
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Billy needs to do something more.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

I hope to God somebody broke out a piece of paper and pen in the tomb and noted those star positions.

Wonder if the nebula shown was an actual one relatively near Earth the producers pulled off a Hubble photo or something thrown together by the CGI team.

For awhile I was expecting Baltar to end up in a straight-jacket by episode's end. That Cottle would just get so pissed with the guy he'd just tell Tigh or someone "this guy is fucking nuts".

Now the big question is, if Six isn't a Cylon what the hell is she? Has she ever given Baltar any definative information or just vague predictions and prophecy?
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Durandal wrote:
Knife wrote:
Which part?
Oh, ok. Agreed. Bad editing. They should have had Adama say something akin to 'Ok, lets get the hell out of here and back to the fleet' for some sort of transistion.

Apperently, nothing interesting happened on the hike back out to the raptor/shuttles.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Knife wrote:
Durandal wrote:
Knife wrote: Which part?
Oh, ok. Agreed. Bad editing. They should have had Adama say something akin to 'Ok, lets get the hell out of here and back to the fleet' for some sort of transistion.

Apperently, nothing interesting happened on the hike back out to the raptor/shuttles.
Who knows what could have happened, they might have spent hours and hours taking photos and catalouging what they found, collecting artifacts, searching the ruins. But all of that was unimportant!
As far as Baltar, I still don't know what to think. I will not rule out the possibility that he's got something in him which causes this, but it real or "imagined", so to speak. One this is certain, this show continues to impress, very upset we don't have a new ep next week.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Knife wrote:
Durandal wrote:
Knife wrote: Which part?

Am I the only one who liked that cut?
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

I have no problem with the jump, the episodes are only so long, glad they showed us more "good" stuff, than what will amount to archeology.
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

So was I the only one that found it strange that Caprica Boomer knew something that dead-in-the-morgue boomer heard? Regarding when Boomer said "You asked why", after Adama was finished choking her, in case no one knows what I'm talking about.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

InnocentBystander wrote:So was I the only one that found it strange that Caprica Boomer knew something that dead-in-the-morgue boomer heard? Regarding when Boomer said "You asked why", after Adama was finished choking her, in case no one knows what I'm talking about.
I had totally forgotten about that.

Maybe Sharon's been lying about not having information?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

I was kind of thinking. If humans left Kobol to the 13 Colonies, how come is there a map showing Earth based constellations? Does that indicate someone from Earth probably returned and created the Tomb?

I haven't watched the miniseries, but according to the BSG Wiki the 13th tribe left Kobol to Earth after the 12 tribes. However, the 12 Colonies used Earth based constellations as their flags. Which means at least the designer of such flags knew the patterns in the beginning.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Very powerful episode. I loved the reunification scene, and I'm really excited that we're making definite plot progress. I was worried for a moment about the talk of going back and rescuing or fighting alongside the colonial resistance, but hopefully we won't hear much of that again.
Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:I was kind of thinking. If humans left Kobol to the 13 Colonies, how come is there a map showing Earth based constellations? Does that indicate someone from Earth probably returned and created the Tomb?

I haven't watched the miniseries, but according to the BSG Wiki the 13th tribe left Kobol to Earth after the 12 tribes. However, the 12 Colonies used Earth based constellations as their flags. Which means at least the designer of such flags knew the patterns in the beginning.
It could be that Moore has abandoned the "life here began out there" premise and intends to make a big dramatic stink out of the characters discovering "omg we didn't come from Kobol we came from Earth!"

I hope not, though.
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:
InnocentBystander wrote:So was I the only one that found it strange that Caprica Boomer knew something that dead-in-the-morgue boomer heard? Regarding when Boomer said "You asked why", after Adama was finished choking her, in case no one knows what I'm talking about.

I think she couldn't recall shooting Adama because the Galactica Boomer couldn't actively remember that action (some sort of sleeper program taking effect). I'm probably going to watch this episode again (damn I'm glad I tape this series), but either Adama asked her why or referred to it at some point that slipped my mind this episode, she's presuming he had aksed, or Caprica Boomer remembers something that was said to a dead body...
By His Word...
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Uraniun235 wrote:It could be that Moore has abandoned the "life here began out there" premise and intends to make a big dramatic stink out of the characters discovering "omg we didn't come from Kobol we came from Earth!"

I hope not, though.
Well after my thoughts I was amusing myself that the Cylon God was actually a Fundie populated Earth. Or in a more bizarre thought, Earth after the Second Coming. In the past pagans were persecuted and fled to Kobol and decided to bury their origins. Later on when the people on Kobol decided to expand, some people decided to go back to Earth and take a look. And probably were stoned to death, hence, "lost".
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Skylon wrote:
Knife wrote:
Durandal wrote: Where they were on Earth one minute and the next, Adama's on the Galactica. How the hell did they get back?

Am I the only one who liked that cut?
No... I liked it too.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Skylon wrote: Am I the only one who liked that cut?
I liked the jump too. it gets rid of dead time and leaves open for the writers to fill in gaps in later episodes.
Grand Moff Yenchin wrote:I was kind of thinking. If humans left Kobol to the 13 Colonies, how come is there a map showing Earth based constellations? Does that indicate someone from Earth probably returned and created the Tomb?

yup. major problem there. the only way to get those contellation maps on Kobol is if people from Earth WENT BACK to Kobol.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:

During that "why" scene, to me dead Boomer didn't.... look dead enough. Her face looked like was 'still healing', her color was still warm.

Maybe she'd not downloaded herself yet? Humans used to believe the soul didn't leave the body immediately, but kinda hung around. Could there have been a delay in the download because she was still not wanting to be a Cylon?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

OR... Earth was settled because they could see the symbols in the sky above them. Either way, someone had to have returned to give that information because it's in the Book of Pythia.

as for the BSG Wiki... make sure that's for neo-BSG, not oldBSG. IIRC, that information was true for the original.

Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Caprica-Boomer said "Ask me why" and while it's a hint at what he said to dead-Boomer, she clearly didn't know. She just knows he wants to find out the truth behind it. Or maybe I'm the only one that managed to follow it like that, if anyone disagrees, I expect boot licking when we find out I'm right later on in the series :P
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Galactica Boomer could still be essentially a "hot-michrophone" for lack of a better term. Still picking up sights, sounds etc and transmitting them back to the other Cylons.
-A.L.