Why did Obi-Wan just leave Vader?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Why did Obi-Wan just leave Vader?

Post by Trogdor »

I've been meaning to ask this for some time. When Obi-Wan walked away from Vader on Mustafar, leaving him burning alive and screaming in pain, the first thought that jumped into my head was, "You bastard! At least finish him off!" I mean, it seemed pretty cruel, leaving him to such a slow and painful death, considering Obi-Wan loved Anakin and considered him a brother.

Now, obviously the out of universe reason for Obi-Wan just walking off was because Vader had to live to the OT, but I was wondering if an in universe explaination was ever given in the novelization or anywhere else.

Was it that Obi-Wan simply could not bring himself to strike the death blow against Vader? Slavish obedience to the Jedi edict against killing (if so, that's got to be the most blatant instance of a following the letter of a law and totally ignoring its spirit, in this case mercy, in the entire PT)? Or something else entirely?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The novel specfically states two factors. One it would've been merciful to kill him and he wasn't feeling merciful. Another was he left Anakin's fate to the Will of the Force.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Wow, he didn't seem too vengeful in the movie...

Thanks.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

The novel says that Obi Wan was still a Jedi, and he wouldn't murder a helpless man.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Yeah, but let's face it. Powerful as Vader was, if Palpatine hadn't come for him, he'd have died. Obi-Wan had no way of knowing that Palpy would show up and get him, he probably hoped that Yoda would kill Palpatine. So far as Obi-Wan knew, he'd already as good as killed Vader. Making it quick would've been mercy, not murder.

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Trogdor wrote:Yeah, but let's face it. Powerful as Vader was, if Palpatine hadn't come for him, he'd have died. Obi-Wan had no way of knowing that Palpy would show up and get him, he probably hoped that Yoda would kill Palpatine. So far as Obi-Wan knew, he'd already as good as killed Vader. Making it quick would've been mercy, not murder.
In the novel it's a bit interesting because he does see the Chancellor's shuttle enter the atmosphere. And this happens after he cuts off Anakin's arm and legs and before he leaves Anakin to whatever fate the Force has in store for him.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Oh, so he knew, or at least suspected, that somebody was coming for Vader. That makes a lot more sense now.

Dorsk 81
Sith Devotee

Post by Dorsk 81 »

He knew Palpatine was about to land, yes, which, for all Obi Wan knew, meant that Yoda was dead, making him the last Jedi, and atleast one needed to survive in order to train Luke and Leia.
"I would, for instance, fellate a smurf before I pick death." Dylan Moran
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Einstein
EBC's Devonian Deviant | GALE's Supplementary Bi Brit | BoTM's Raw Recruit | GDC's Horny Delphinidae | I'm with RMA | CoIB
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

I think Obi-Wan just couldn't pull the trigger. No matter what Yoda told him, he still saw Anakin as the person he'd known all these years, and to whom he owed his life several times over. He didn't know the Emperor was coming, and probably would have assumed he'd have gotten what he wanted from Anakin and would let him die before he can supplant him. As a result, Obi-Wan seemed to assume Anakin would slide away into the lava or burn at the edge of it, and that would be that.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

CDiehl wrote:I think Obi-Wan just couldn't pull the trigger. No matter what Yoda told him, he still saw Anakin as the person he'd known all these years, and to whom he owed his life several times over. He didn't know the Emperor was coming, and probably would have assumed he'd have gotten what he wanted from Anakin and would let him die before he can supplant him. As a result, Obi-Wan seemed to assume Anakin would slide away into the lava or burn at the edge of it, and that would be that.
Except as was said, it directly contradicts the novel - he saw palpatine inbound.

The novel basically has obi wan giving a bunch of reasons - he doesn't feel merciful, he still loves anakin, he will let the force decide, he won't kill a man in cold blood. But the kicker is that he sees Palpaine inbound. It shows how upset and messed up in the head he is at the time, still trying to decide how to deal with it, and then realizes he doesn't have time, he has to leave now.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

At that point, Kenobi's main concern, after seeing the Emperor's shuttle is getting to Padme and getting Vader's kid the hell out of there.

Vader was now a cripple, even with cyberknitic replacements, he was defeated, and Kenobi could probably sense it was the Emperor on the shuttle, with troops.

Quite simply, suppose he'd walked over to Vader and sliced his head off. Fine, but that's precious seconds wasted on killing what is for all intents and purposes, a corpse. Seconds that, once the Emperor senses Vader is dead, well, that's what his shuttles weapons are for. Open fire on Kenobi, then on the ships on the planet to make sure he can't leave.

Thus condeming Padme and the baby (since no one knew about the twins yet) to death.

He spared Vader to save himself, Padme and the baby
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

Besides, Anakin was like a brother. I think when anakin jumped at him he instictivley cut his hand and legs off, but couldn't finish the job.
WWDD What would dogbert do?
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I seem to recall from the movie that Kenobi took off before Palpatine arrived. Damnit, hurry up DVDs.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Wicked Pilot wrote:I seem to recall from the movie that Kenobi took off before Palpatine arrived. Damnit, hurry up DVDs.
Kenobi does indeed leave first. He goes back to the spaceship, ses to padme, and 3po takes off. We then cut to anakin lying there, and the shadow of the Emperor's shuttle passes over him and lands nearby.

No contradiction there.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

Besides, Anakin was like a brother. I think when anakin jumped at him he instictivley cut his hand and legs off, but couldn't finish the job.
Precisely, by the time Kenobi dismembered him, his emotions were madly out of control. No single outcome could have been predicted. It's amazing he had the wherewithal to avoid killing himself in the whole drama.
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
Eframepilot
Jedi Master

Post by Eframepilot »

The Emperor's arrival should not have affected Obi-Wan's decision, at least not in the direction of sparing Anakin. A simple Force push to a helpless Anakin would have knocked him into the lava in a half-second, not nearly enough time to delay Obi-Wan's escape. The novelization does state that Obi-Wan's time pressure did factor into his decision to leave Anakin to his fate, so I can only assume that Obi-Wan was not thinking rationally.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Let me put it this way.

Imagine that your absolute best friend, who you've fought along, lived with, and basically know better than you know yourself, has suddenly become a Dark Lord of the Sith; who, moreover, has outright murdered Jedi and apprentices, as well as the entire Separatist council and whoever got in his way, and who has just strangled his own *wife* nearly to death. You've just fought him to a standstill, and you're trying to get him to stop. But he doesn't, and you have to take off his arm and feet to do that.

How do you think he was fucking thinking? 'Rationally' would certainly be out of the question...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Ender wrote:
CDiehl wrote:I think Obi-Wan just couldn't pull the trigger. No matter what Yoda told him, he still saw Anakin as the person he'd known all these years, and to whom he owed his life several times over. He didn't know the Emperor was coming, and probably would have assumed he'd have gotten what he wanted from Anakin and would let him die before he can supplant him. As a result, Obi-Wan seemed to assume Anakin would slide away into the lava or burn at the edge of it, and that would be that.
Except as was said, it directly contradicts the novel - he saw palpatine inbound.

The novel basically has obi wan giving a bunch of reasons - he doesn't feel merciful, he still loves anakin, he will let the force decide, he won't kill a man in cold blood. But the kicker is that he sees Palpaine inbound. It shows how upset and messed up in the head he is at the time, still trying to decide how to deal with it, and then realizes he doesn't have time, he has to leave now.
Way I saw it, Obi-wan was having a bit of an emotional breakdown. He probably couldn't have pulled the trigger on Anakin, and the arrival of Palpatine's shuttle denied him any more time he might have had to mull it over.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

The Jazz Intern wrote:Besides, Anakin was like a brother. I think when anakin jumped at him he instictivley cut his hand and legs off, but couldn't finish the job.
That's an interesting observation. It would indeed have been easier to simply bisect Anakin's torso, rather than execute the complicated stroke necessary to remove three limbs.
Elheru Aran wrote:Imagine that your absolute best friend, who you've fought along, lived with, and basically know better than you know yourself, has suddenly become a Dark Lord of the Sith; who, moreover, has outright murdered Jedi and apprentices, as well as the entire Separatist council and whoever got in his way, and who has just strangled his own *wife* nearly to death. You've just fought him to a standstill, and you're trying to get him to stop. But he doesn't, and you have to take off his arm and feet to do that.
CDiehl wrote:No matter what Yoda told him, he still saw Anakin as the person he'd known all these years, and to whom he owed his life several times over.
Trying to picture Obi-Wan's thoughts and emotional state at that point is mind-boggling :shock:
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

Obi-Wan just had his only family destroyed. Vader just brought down the very organization that raised Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan was betrayed by his best friend, giving him reasons enough not to be merciful and to let Vader suffer a painful death.

Would any of you let the person who killed all your loved ones die a painless death or a very long drawn out one?
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
Darwin
Jedi Master

Post by Darwin »

Admiral Drason wrote:Obi-Wan just had his only family destroyed. Vader just brought down the very organization that raised Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan was betrayed by his best friend, giving him reasons enough not to be merciful and to let Vader suffer a painful death.

Would any of you let the person who killed all your loved ones die a painless death or a very long drawn out one?
But if that person was someone who was your closest friend, who you've known for over fifteen years and trusted your life to on many occasions? it becomes a little less clearcut.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Admiral Drason wrote:Would any of you let the person who killed all your loved ones die a painless death or a very long drawn out one?
Recall that Anakin is one of Obi-Wan's loved ones.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Ravengrim
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Ravengrim »

I asumed that Obi-Wan was just so sick of the whole thing that he just left. Everything had gone horribly wrong, ANY move on his part would have equally fucked-up results, so he left to do the only good thing remaining: care for Padme and the baby.
I'm a worthless twat.