How to convince someone that WoW is'nt a scam or hackable?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

How to convince someone that WoW is'nt a scam or hackable?

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Having recently purchased World of Warcraft, and not having a bank account or credit card of my own, I recently asked my father permission to use his credit card to pay for a 6 month subscription and I would pay him back from my own pocket money.
However the problem is that he believes that either the WoW is a possible scam, or that it could be hacked and used to steal his credit card number, and I am having trouble convincing him otherwise.

So can anyone give me advice on how to convince him that the WoW account info is as secure as that of Amazon.com, or that thousands of people allready use WoW and have'nt had their bank accounts drained?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I don't know if they are available where you live, but Blizzard sells prepaid card for two months game time of WoW. If you use them, you don't need a credit card.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Show him the countless articles about WoW, show him a history of blizzard and it's respected status, and like I.O. said, you could always just look for a prepaid card.
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Indeed. Pretty much any store that sells WoW also has prepaid cards on the same shelf, right next to the game.

or that thousands of people allready use WoW and have'nt had their bank accounts drained?
Not thousands of players, but 3.5 million global customers. Not a single one of them has reported such thing and it's far too important business for Blizzard Entertainment to screw up with insufficient privacy protection standards. It should be just as secure as Amazon.com. Of course, no computer system is safe from hackers, but the risk involved is minimal.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Imperial Overlord wrote:I don't know if they are available where you live, but Blizzard sells prepaid card for two months game time of WoW. If you use them, you don't need a credit card.
Not available around here.

Can anyone recomend a short easy to read article about it that doesnt have the words "gore, bust, violent etc.." in it?
(He thinks that all computer games are disgusting, violent and de-sensitize people, :roll: )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

the .303 bookworm wrote:
Imperial Overlord wrote:I don't know if they are available where you live, but Blizzard sells prepaid card for two months game time of WoW. If you use them, you don't need a credit card.
Not available around here.

Can anyone recomend a short easy to read article about it that doesnt have the words "gore, bust, violent etc.." in it?
(He thinks that all computer games are disgusting, violent and de-sensitize people, :roll: )
I dont know about an article on WoW, but if he's big on the desensitizing people angle you might want to send a few articles like this his way.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Your father is a modern life failure. Wasting your time trying to teach the monkey how to use a computer, or get him to order game cards from Amazon for you. Or is Amazon an evil scam too?
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

BTW how much does WoW cost anyway also is Visa Electron a credit card
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Lord Revan wrote:BTW how much does WoW cost anyway also is Visa Electron a credit card
WoW sells in the UK for £30 - 35 and yes a Visa Electron is a Debit card IIRC which is basically the same thing.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Pounder wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:BTW how much does WoW cost anyway also is Visa Electron a credit card
WoW sells in the UK for £30 - 35 and yes a Visa Electron is a Debit card IIRC which is basically the same thing.
I mean huch much will cost to play it and is Visa Electron a viable way of paying for it.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Ninja of the North
Youngling

Post by Ninja of the North »

Perhaps if you tell him that there is no more risk in using his card on the internet than on the telephone, then he will understand. Otheriwse, it might be advantageous to get your own card of some sort. Around here, they sell these "mall giftcards" that are essentially gift cards that can be used anywhere.
I came for the hatred, I stayed for the ballbags -The Daily Show

Nobel invented dynamite. I won't take any of his blood money. -House
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Lord Revan wrote:I mean huch much will cost to play it and is Visa Electron a viable way of paying for it.
Visa Electron's functionality depends on the bank issuing it. Some work outside Finland's borders, some don't. I don't remember the specifics, but there's apparently been a lot of discussion on Finnish forums about the matter, so you might want to check some of those.

The 2 month prepaid cards (my chosen method of payment) cost around 26 euro apiece.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Silver Paladin
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Paladin »

Or you can just go to www.amazon.com and buy a pre-paid game card.

Dress Thine links
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Silver Paladin wrote:Or you can just go to www.amazon.com and buy a pre-paid game card.

*snip link*
I can get those from a store just fine with need for the net.
The 2 month prepaid cards (my chosen method of payment) cost around 26 euro apiece
where did buy those?
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Lord Revan wrote:
The 2 month prepaid cards (my chosen method of payment) cost around 26 euro apiece
where did buy those?
Looks like they cost that much on Amazon.
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

You could put him on the phone with a customer service rep from blizzard, this is the kind of thing Customer Service likely knows how to deal with.
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Lord Revan wrote:
Karza wrote:The 2 month prepaid cards (my chosen method of payment) cost around 26 euro apiece
where did buy those?
You can find them in ordinary Anttila stores in Helsinki -- at the same price, even.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Zorak
Youngling

Post by Zorak »

If your father has an issue with the "possible violence" and crap with the game, Link dressed . Found it at random one time when browsing WoW Articles. Bleah.

And Mods do not like naked links if you want a possible solution to your lack of payment.
"It is missing the point to think that the martial art is solely in cutting a man down; it is in killing evil. It is in the strategem of killing the evil of one man and giving life to ten thousand" -Yagyu Munenori
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Silver Paladin and Zorak would mind dressing those links or yours as their screwing the format.
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Actually a point not brought up. Is it the US WoW or EU WoW? Will aid in the search very much so.
アカラム

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

EDIT: I'll move the text around to get away from the debate.
So basicly thats it, he can't use Amazon, Amazon DOSN'T SHIP game cards to Israel.

Quick EDIT: I'll say its U.S WoW because it was bought in the U.S.

Let me add something, I just attempted to order this game cardWhy? I'm a nice guy and I need to order some books from Amazon anyway. and guess what they told me?

Code: Select all

*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to the country you selected. You can enter a different shipping address above, or you can remove the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0, then clicking the Update button. ***
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Why was my link deleted? It had a method for him to buy a game card and ship it to Israel. Um, mods?

EDIT: Where to buy it: Ebay is your friend
アカラム