Verdigris Complete (see pg 4) (56K warn)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I'm going to try and combine allllll my responses on one handy package.

Thank you, Dalton, I'm glad you think so highly of it! You're right, I probably should have done something with that hand, since it wouldn't be out of character for her to be holding something incredibly sharp and dangerous :wink:. I'll definitely put some weapons in future pictures of these characters! And thanks again on the hair --hair can be very tricky to get to look adequately fantasy/anime without looking very inorganic.

And thank-you double, too, Duchess, as double compliments you gave :luv:. I'm sorry I haven't gotten more work on your commission, but it's definitely not something I'm ignoring --I simply haven't had a good chance to work on it so far and have it come out like I want it to. I'll try to get some sketching for a final version that I think looks good soon!

And Einhander... :wink: I don't see art as a competative realm. I'm glad you like it, but if I start vomiting up statues of David, it'd take nothing away from what you're capable of doing, either :wink: We just have to keep practicing, both of us!

And Erik von Nein, ah... well, for about the last fifteen years, with a gap in there from about 6th grade to 8th grade. In case the obvious question follows, I'm sixteen, so yes, drawing most of my life :).

As for Tasoth, yes. It is a strong jawline for a lady. That's because Verdigris suffers a very high amount of masculinity. Once I draw... well... any of the other females from my story, you'll see a lot hotter, less manly, girls :wink:. As for the speed in which my pictures are done... uuuur.... the featured one, I don't know. I did the sketch at a different time than the inking and coloring, and there had been quite a gap in there. The second one though took me about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, because if you were to see it in real life, you'd notice that the coloring's actually much less careful and the inking's frankly shite (by my standards -- it's not smooth.) Plus it's a very basic image. As for the sketches, uhm... those I don't really know since those were done in between having to pay attention. The one of bitchy bitchy Umber, though, couldn't have taken me more than a couple of minutes (Umber's really easy to draw anyway.) My art's not even close to consistant on necessary time involved :wink:.

I appreciate the compliment, observer! All it cost me was my sanity, ee-hee! ... and my soul :twisted:.

And dear, dear Kuja, you have no idea. :twisted: Edge is my favorite character from this storyline thing. I do want to draw all the Councilors (there's ten), but I have a feeling even before that's done, we'll see plenty more Edge.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Kuja!

Your bish is my command :wink: *shot*

Here's a project I'm very happy with so far, despite it, uh,... being awfully damn girly. Yes! I' making a doll. God, that's so embarrasing to say... I'm making an action figure! Of Edge :wink: (see prior art thread)

Sorry the picture quality's bad, he's so tiny it's hard and our camera's terrible. :cry:

The detail is woefully hard to see :(. His main eyes are made of cat's eye beads, so there's a nice strip of reflection depending on how you look at him, so his blank white eyes kind of follow you :o. His smaller, black eyes are polished hematite shards, more of which ended up in the skin of my fingers than the clay, but it was definitely worth it :). They always have a nice bright white pinprick in them, but are otherwise silvery dark. They look very nice. They also have a little bit of red at the corners of the small eyes.

His face was sculpted in Super Sculpey with a toothpick and my fingers, which is no small task considering how tiny his head is. Trust me guys, the smaller it is, the bigger pain in the ass --but I couldn't afford to buy enough Super Sculpey to make him the size I really wanted. I'm almost done with his torso, actually, but the jointing of his limbs is taking some thought. Anyway, it was painted in acrylic and sealed with a pray matte finish. I used teeny tiny brushes! His horns were also varnished for extra shiney! His hair was done by cannibalizing some of my cosplay wigs slightly (you can't tell they've been touched, since I didn't need much white and took the blacks off of three different black wigs.) The wefts were superglued onto his head, and don't think that isn't hard, because dear God, it is hard. His hair was styled with hairspray, superglue, and my Super Secret Substance (patience? no. Okay, that too.)

There's a metal eye screw in the bottom of his head which is what I'm holding on to -- it's going to be attached via elastic to the torso through his neck so his head can turn correctly. :)

What do you guys think? Girly enough for you? :P

PS- and don't think of this as "wah wah uploading every time you get any little thing done!"... this part alone took me about seven hours, at LEAST. and that doesn't count this head sculpture was the second try at his noggin!

(edit-- now his torso's in the oven! )

EDIT 2-

Well, I've got his torso and upper arms done... y'see, he's... uhm, well, since I can sew, his clothes aren't sculpted on like in my other works, obviously :wink:. And because he moves, of course. Anyway! I got this done tonight, so as long as it's basically the same update period (probably a lot of people haven't seen it yet at all I mean) I thought, "well might as well show it." ... yes! :P

His upper arms are jointed on with elastic that runs through it. So is his head.

It's really blurry because... uhm, I can't use cameras well. :oops:

The double pectorals are intentional :wink: Edge is ... unusual :)

Oh, and I should mention his arms ARE even, I just... REALLY can't use cameras well :wink:

(edit - just look at him done :P)
Last edited by Pick on 2005-08-27 04:26am, edited 6 times in total.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

*smiles* How lovely...

And Pick, you won't get one negative word from me about updating. That is some phenomenal work. *applauds* :wink:
JADAFETWA
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Jesus Christ, just how the hell do you do all of this? You're like some fucking artistic...jane of all trades.

I'd say it'd be almost scary if it wasn't all so lovely.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Those heads scare me. :wink:

Nice work, yet again.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

The Morrigan
Jedi Knight
Location: Lost, somewhere within the realms of my own fevered imagination

Post by The Morrigan »

It rocketh, oh yes it doth! :shock:
After all, this is completely straightforward. What could possibly go wrong?

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR EMERGENCY PANTS!

I hate Matt Damon and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

No, I'm not on drugs. I'm like this all the time.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

When I first saw that head I got scared. Thats an awesome head.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Fantastic, the little detail on the body and the face make the figure look outstanding.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Glad you liked it, Kuja :wink: I know I'm happy with it, and hey, never hurts to have a little prodding to get to work :).

And Spanky, uh... seriously, that's a great comment, but I've no idea how to reply. I think it's just an application of how to take something in your brain and understand how to use the materials necessary to bring it to life. Once you know what you want, and have a decent understanding of what's required to do it, nothing can stop you :). Two dimensional, three dimensional, animation, whatever. And not just art. Anyway, I try. It's a good hobby for me :D

And thanks Erik, Ghost, Ace and Morrigan! My aim is to... well, okay, my aim is to be able to take a really massively creepy doll to school for the first day of my senior year to show off, but my other aim is to please :wink:. And to scare. Definitely to scare :twisted:.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Edge is finished!... but not all of his clothes are yet :wink:

Nevertheless hours and hours and hours of work have paid off!!

Here's EDGE! :D

Ickle... toesies.... aaieee! :luv:

Despite crude joints (hey, it's my first doll) he is very poseable and is very good about staying how you put him, and bending mostly naturally. :)

(edit- took out some, link to others!)

Gold bands are earrings, pants are made of murelle, model airplane rubber holds his joints, otherwise see above post for information.

Everything made by me. Edge is my character. :)
Last edited by Pick on 2005-08-29 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Christ... those feet are amazing... the attention to detail and accuracy is fantastic! :shock: The rest of it is very impressive as well, but the feet really leapt out at me.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

The details are still fantastic, but the best part of it...the articulation.

Honestly I am impressed that you've put that much into figure. Honestly it's shaping up to be an excellent action figure :D .
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I would not be surprised if you wound up at ILM or something. Holy shit.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

erm he looks sick with all those sores...

has the poor bishi elf had something bad happen to him?

(wait bishi elf, isn't that a tad redundant?, hey have you ever seen a male drow gimp with clive barker style chains in flesh?, ok, it's not too redundant)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Hes awesome, I agree with you, the joints need work, but its awesome, completly and utterly awesome.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
The Jazz Intern
Padawan Learner

Post by The Jazz Intern »

Those totally rock! I don't think you'll need to die to become famous! :P
WWDD What would dogbert do?
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Thanks, Moose! :D I love his feet too; they came out very nicely. The toenails are made of brad backs too, so they have a good lip on them like real toenails :)

And thank you too, Ghost Rider. Especially for the terminology :twisted: :luv: I think his joints are actually very nice and functional --glad you seem to agree :)

As for you, Dalton, that's quite a compliment :wink: I'm really glad you think I could, and it's always possible, though for now I'm not seriously considering an artistic career. :oops:

Yosemite, Edge's last name is Argus, a la the old Greecian monster because he has little eyes all over! Luckily for him, they're not wounds. Just quite creepy! :) Oh, though unlike Argus', Edge's additional eyes don't work properly.

And thanks, Ace and Jazz! .... he he, Jazz :) With any luck. :luv:
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

It's almost impossible for my brain to accept that you hand-crafted that entire figure.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

*FUCKING APPLAUDS*

Pick that is impressive as all hell, seriously. Even leaving aside Edge's natural hotness *briefly drops into swooning fangirl mode* that is beautiful work! Just plain amazing!

Now give us more! Now! :P
JADAFETWA
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Your profile is utterly incorrect, there is no way in hell that that could be described as "pointless garbage".
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

ahhh coool then

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Pick wrote:As for you, Dalton, that's quite a compliment :wink: I'm really glad you think I could, and it's always possible, though for now I'm not seriously considering an artistic career. :oops:
Say what? :shock:
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Finished Edge

Post by Pick »

I apologize in advance to everyone who has to put up with my incessant fangirling as I present this piece. :wink:
And to Edge for making him look like a nature ho.

He's done! :D It took me... oh, so very, very long to do the rest of his clothes. But without further blabbering, here is the Councilor of Internal Policy and Judicial Review, Edge!

Edge is taking a break. Don't believe he's had a long night?

Edge finds the oak tree an ideal location for hiding out, plus it provides excellent cover! He's very happy here, but there's too many spiders. :x

Edge tries to be a ninja, but failts to realize the importance of proper attire.

Sitting in a tree, Edge awaits the daylight, where the camera will work better. He's still enjoying himself! Of all the days for it to have rained, though!... :lol:

A bunch of tree can be deceptively comfortable!

Edge likes the red flowers the best; the pink flowers aren't his type, and they're starting to wilt anyway.

Sssh! Don't startle him :o

Edge doesn't just like trees though... :)

His coat is reversible, and that made it just so much worse. It's about half hand-sewn. The fabric is tan murelle, leather, vinyl, polyester lining, silky stuff (?), ribbon, velvet band, elastic, and "silky solid". Some of that you can't see, since it's inside his sleeves and only visible when they are reversed.

I have more pics, let me know if you're curious to see :)

Edge is not an example of fanart; Edge is my own character.

I plan to do either five or ten of these dolls, depending on cash I can get ro buy materials, and submit them together for my school's art show for my final high school art project if all goes as planned. :) Next up is Verdigris or Alder. Probably. I'm indecisive :wink:

Thanks everybody!

And Dalton- :wink: Er... I'm probably going to head into finance, honestly.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

:shock:

Awesome. Simply Awesome.
Those various shots and poses really do well to showcase just how finely crafted he is.

Wow. :D
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Good Lord, you even made his clothes? :shock:

You're like one of those Japanese people who can make anything, like super-quality custom figures or scratch-built/kitbashed models that rival commercial products.

Pick, you've gone way beyond neat: you're now officially one of the most amazing people I know.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"