A Day in the Life of THIS Rock Star! [pic heavy]

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zaia
Inamorata

A Day in the Life of THIS Rock Star! [pic heavy]

Post by Zaia »

Well, two days, technically. 8)

Back in June, I spent two days recording music to be on a CD of a friend of mine in Omega Recording Studios in Rockville, Maryland. Despite the title of this thread, no, it was not rock music, but religious music--very good, original, modern religious music, but still all about God nonetheless. It was the first time I'd been a paid professional studio musician, complete with my own soundproof recording booth, headphones, and everything! Very exciting for me. The sound engineers called me a few times the week before each of the recordings and listed off the instruments I needed and then asked me if I needed anything else. I kept having to restrain myself from asking for a bowl of green M&Ms (just the green ones! And only 40 watt lightbulbs, please)...but I was good.

Anyway, like the dork that I am, I took some photos! So here they are.

This is my first isolation booth, with my "anvils" (as an aside, it's ironic to me that, as an agnostic/athiest, I got to play the part of the guy who nails Jesus to the cross for this Easter piece--that's what the anvil sound effect is). These are just lead pipes that supposedly sound better musically than an actual anvil, but they sounded like crap. That hammer is damn heavy too. Headphones are hanging off the mic, and I can't remember what that soundboard with all the knobs on it is called, but that's where I get to adjust everyone else's levels so I could either listen to them while they did their thing or kill them off like they were never born. Such a feeling of power.

That's the one I actually used to make the anvil sound. It isn't an anvil either; it's a piece of train track, but it sounded a hell of a lot better than the pipes (which at this point had been moved off the foam to the side since they all sucked). Ironically, real anvils tend to sound like shite as well since they don't resonate well, and they're insanely heavy, so not very practical either.

This is the front half of the main room, where the pianist (my friend/the composer) and the vocalists were stationed. Most of the time I killed the vocalists off in my headphones because they were a bit slow on their attacks, and one of them had an annoying pseudo-opera-singer kind of vibrato going on with her voice. Bleck.

This is the back half of the room where the vocalists were. Whee.

This is the isolation booth where I recorded 90% of what I did. It's set up right next to the main room, which was helpful so I could see Ed the pianist for downbeats at the start of the pieces (he doesn't do the head-nod thing to start pieces very well, so watching his hands works a lot better). Besides the snare and the anvil, I had a set of bells, a suspended cymbal, triangle, tambourine, djembe, woodblock, and...a couple of other toys that I don't remember anymore.

Heh. Yes, this photo is blurry. That's the mixing booth, and I was trying to be stealth and not be obvious in my supreme dorkiness of photographing my first studio adventure, and to do that I tried doing a timed exposure without a flash (since there was a glass door separating me in my booth from them in theirs). This was the result. Oh well.

The wall of CDs! All recording studios (I would guess) have this wall, showing off the albums that have been recorded there. Although Omega is a rockin' place, they didn't have that many artists y'all would recognize. I took photos of a couple of my favourites, though... :D

An Oskaloosa Christmas! A worldwide classic, to be sure. :P

The Capitol Steps, a fairly well-known (in the DC area, anyway) group, with another Christmas classic, "All I Want For Christmas is a Tax Increase."

Oh my God! A band you might've heard of! 2 Live Crew! Schweet.

And, although I know most of you think emo sucks, but I love Dashboard Confessional, and I was so excited to see that they'd recorded an album at Omega! Maybe they were in the same studio as me! So cool. Oh yeah. 8)

So, that's the end of the tour. If you want me to play for you sometime, contact my agent. ;-)
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Wheres the agent? :)

Nice, how big is the studio overall?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Ace, do you mean the whole building, the studio I was in, or my booth?

If you click on the link at the top of the OP and then at the bottom of that page, you'll get to Omega's home page, where you can see photos of all four of the studios within Omega Recording. I didn't see them all, just the one we rented, and its main room was fairly large--probably about 50' x 30' or so. Like the size of a small cafe. However, the studios are only part of the building itself, because it's also a school. I'm not sure how big that part is, since I didn't venture over there.

As for my booth, the one with the anvil was about 8' x 6', and the other one was a bit bigger, 8' x 10', maybe. Hard to tell since both rooms had more than four walls.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I meant in feeling, should have mentioned that, did it feel cramped?

Its simply because I've been to a few radio stations(not the same I know) and most rooms were larger then needed, very nice and comfy.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

It definitely would've felt cramped if all my instruments had been in the room at the same time, but since I only had the instruments I needed for each piece in the booth at one time, it was quite comfortable.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Bah, you could have outsung every damn vocalist there.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Dalton wrote:Bah, you could have outsung every damn vocalist there.
*hugs*

Thanks for both the compliment and for replying to my otherwise neglected thread. :D
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

You didn't by any chance catch what mic's they were using?
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

I'm just waiting for Mark to reappear from his tempban and cry about how you were down in Rockville and didn't visit him. In order to prep you for that I'll compalin that you had to pass Columbia twice getting there and didn't come see me :D. As an aside that's awesome and right now I'm just awed that I now can claim to know an actual recording artist :).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Zaia wrote:
Dalton wrote:Bah, you could have outsung every damn vocalist there.
*hugs*

Thanks for both the compliment and for replying to my otherwise neglected thread. :D
:oops: Of course.

Are you listed on the liner notes?
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*applauds* WOW! That sure is a lot of stuff, it must've been fun.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Saurencaerthai wrote:You didn't by any chance catch what mic's they were using?
No, but if you check out Omega's webpage (link's at the top of the OP), they might have their equipment listed somewhere.