Favorite American President?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Rogue 9 wrote: What abolition of slavery? Lincoln had precisely zero plans to end slavery where it existed.
Correct, but perception is nine-tenths of the law, which is why your helpful postings pointed to that Southern perception of Northern intentions. If one believes something is the case, then for them that is enough. Wars have begun over less.
Rogue 9 wrote:Further, if we're to talk of bullying, let's talk of Bloody Kansas, where the South was so desperate to establish a slave state that certain factions resorted to violence to influence the elections in favor of a slavery clause in the new state constitution.
Southern states hoped to minimize their minority status by influencing pro-slavery sentiments in Kansas. Doesn't make it right, but that was the case.
Rogue 9 wrote:The issue wasn't really with abolition; it was with the North's unwillingness to let the South dictate their own state policies regarding slaves.
The Southern economy was sadly dependent on slavery at the time with how they ran the cotton industry, but as an industry slavery would have self-destructed in due time, without a devastating war.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

jegs2 wrote:The Southern economy was sadly dependent on slavery at the time with how they ran the cotton industry, but as an industry slavery would have self-destructed in due time, without a devastating war.
...if it couldn't be forced on the North. So yes, it all comes back to a war fought to preserve slavery.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Rogue 9 wrote:...if it couldn't be forced on the North. So yes, it all comes back to a war fought to preserve slavery.
From a certain point of view and a very narrowed focus, disregarding all other issues and perceptions of the time period and what was and was not legal at the time, and from an extraordinarily simplistic point of view, one could assume such. Just as one could assume that the sole purpose of mustard is to decorate a hot dog, and still not be in error...
Warwolves G2
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

jegs2 wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:...if it couldn't be forced on the North. So yes, it all comes back to a war fought to preserve slavery.
From a certain point of view and a very narrowed focus, disregarding all other issues and perceptions of the time period and what was and was not legal at the time, and from an extraordinarily simplistic point of view, one could assume such. Just as one could assume that the sole purpose of mustard is to decorate a hot dog, and still not be in error...
Would the South have seceded had they not perceived a threat to slavery? Yes or no.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Rogue 9 wrote:Would the South have seceded had they not perceived a threat to slavery? Yes or no.
At the time, the Southern economy was dependent on slavery, so again your question is entirely simplistic and narrow in focus, desregaring much in the way of reality as it stood at that time. The issue was over political power and the Southern states continued loss of it over time, and slavery was but a highly-charged issue with which wealthy and powerful Southerners could fire up the masses. You said yourself that the Norh had no intentions of abolishing slavery, and yet the South used the perception of abolition as a catalyst to seceed. Your question would be akin to my asking you, "If you were a dog, would you be a tabby? Yes or no."
Last edited by jegs2 on 2005-08-30 05:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warwolves G2
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

No, it's not remotely analogous to that, and is entirely relevant. If the answer to the question is yes, then sure, there was obviously some other overriding purpose, but I'm at a loss to name it. If it's no, then they were, ultimately, fighting to keep other men in bondage, the ultimate hypocrisy for those who claim to desire a free society. Which is it?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Rogue 9 wrote:No, it's not remotely analogous to that, and is entirely relevant. If the answer to the question is yes, then sure, there was obviously some other overriding purpose, but I'm at a loss to name it. If it's no, then they were, ultimately, fighting to keep other men in bondage, the ultimate hypocrisy for those who claim to desire a free society. Which is it?
Loss of political power. Absolute rule by the majority. While your arguments against slavery rightly ring true today, in the mid-1800's it was not perceived to be the great evil we know it to be today. It is my belief that in a dozen years, the incredible evil of abortion will be looked on in much the same manner as slavery is today, and yet would we say that political battles in the US today are aimed strictly at keeping abortion legal or outlawing it, or are other purposes also entwined in the politics of the Left and Right? Will some say 50 years from now that the sole purpose of the Democrat party was to keep murder of unborn babies legal? See how simplistic and narrow one can twist anything toward their own perception?
Warwolves G2
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

It was by some; the abolition movement is enough evidence of that. Anywho, guess what? The Democrats lost political power last election! They should all secede now!

:roll: Loss of political power in a representative system is no excuse. If you insist on leaving slavery out of it, then the South was executing a rule or ruin policy, and when conditions became such that they could not rule, they set out like spoiled children to ruin.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Rogue 9 wrote: Loss of political power in a representative system is no excuse.
Today it isn't, but reality today is a good deal different from reality in 1855. Remember what I said of loyalties and where they lay in that time period within this country? Remember what power the Federal government had at that time, compared to the near police-state of today.
Rogue 9 wrote:If you insist on leaving slavery out of it, then the South was executing a rule or ruin policy, and when conditions became such that they could not rule, they set out like spoiled children to ruin.
At no time have I insisted on leaving slavery out of it. Indeed, we see that it was the highly-charged catylist that the South needed to justify secession to the common Southern white. What other catalyist would they have used? "We're losing political power in the Congress," would have meant nothing to the common white man. "They're gonna free the slaves and make 'em your equal," would have done the trick.
Warwolves G2
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Which makes them all assholes. :P

By the by, reality hasn't changed. Perception of it might have, but slavery in the United States being the bondage of men in a country dedicated to the freedom of man was still a fact, even if they were too blind to see it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

Rogue 9 wrote:Which makes them all assholes. :P
Damnyankee! :)
Rogue 9 wrote:By the by, reality hasn't changed. Perception of it might have, but slavery in the United States being the bondage of men in a country dedicated to the freedom of man was still a fact, even if they were too blind to see it.
I agree. Perception is a powerful thing, and many can be swayed by it. I wonder how many "indetured servants" we have here in the States now -- illegal immigrants "working off" their illegal passage to the US as all but slaves...
Warwolves G2
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

No, the allies would not have won if the US hadn't entered the war, since the US entrance forced the Germans to commit to the Michael Offensive, abandoning their enormously successful defensive strategy in favour of a massive all-out attack to win the war before US troops arrived in strength. Had that attack not taken place, the Germans could have secured the western parts of Russia for grain production with those troops, eased famine back at home, and continued to hold defensive lines in France indefinitely.
Ah, I had thought that the blockade would have forced Germany to make peace due to famine. I had not considered the new food sources won from Russia, which certainly would have alleivated the hunger.
Which would have absolutely ensured that the two halves of the country never reconciled, and there would likely be intense resentments and discontent right down to this day. Nevermind the justice of it for a moment, harsh, vindictive peace settlements do not build lasting peace. They build resentments that make the next generation want to have another go to get their own back. You might think people would learn from history. After all, the Versailles Treaty shows just how successful that approach is
There is a lot of space between the Versailles Treaty and what the South got after the war. The generally accepted method of dealing with traitors and rebels in the 19th century involved a wall and a line of riflemen. I agree that that would have been too harsh. However, the plantation owners should have lost their land, which then should have been redistributed to the black population. High-ranking officers in the Confederate army and officials in its government should have been barred from public office in the reconstructed states. Legal steps should have been taken to prevent the South from disenfranchising the blacks after the war.

That would have sufficient to prevent the real tragedy of the antebellum period, which was the oppression of the black population, and not have fallen harshly on anyone other than the upper echelons of the Southern aristocracy.

Harsh would have been inflicting the March to the Sea on the whole country.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

This might sound odd from such an ardent Republican such as myself, but FDR.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Post by jegs2 »

HemlockGrey wrote:Harsh would have been inflicting the March to the Sea on the whole country.
Serious thought was given to a prolonged insurgency in the South, but an honorable surrender by Lee helped to prevent that. Northern agression on the scale you envisioned would almost certainly have resulted in a violent insurgency for decades, bleeding the North of innumerable soldiers over years, possibly preventing the US from ever having become a world power. Fortunately, cooler (and wiser) heads prevailed.
Warwolves G2
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Northern agression on the scale you envisioned would almost certainly have resulted in a violent insurgency for decades, bleeding the North of innumerable soldiers over years, possibly preventing the US from ever having become a world power. Fortunately, cooler (and wiser) heads prevailed.
:lol:

Yeah, because taking land away from plantation owners would have spawned a massive insurgency. You're such a moron.

Unless you thought that I was advocating a "March to the Sea" on the whole country, in which case you are merely illiterate.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

HemlockGrey wrote: :lol:

Yeah, because taking land away from plantation owners would have spawned a massive insurgency. You're such a moron.
Uh hello, yes it might have. As Rogue 9 pointed out, most white southerners were more than willing to get on the secessionist bandwagon, despite not being slaveowners, and therefore having no direct stake in the cause most at issue. So given that, what the fuck makes you assume so blithely that they wouldn't have been willing to jump on this bandwagon as well? A lot of those plantation owners were looked up to by the poorer folk who lived around them. Robert E. Lee, blueblooded aristocrat that he was, was idolized by many a poor southerner. The damn Yankees steal land from its rightful owners to give to a bunch of dirty niggers (apologies for using the word, but that's how they would have seen it back then) and you think white people wouldn't have been willing to resist? Why? Race trumps class in the Civil War era south. Hell, you could count on those same dispossessed plantation owners actively recruiting men to fight for them in such an insurgency. And since many of those plantation owners were former officers who led those poorer southerners in battle, some of whom were respected and listened to, they'd have got some. It is absolutely realistic to imagine that any such land appropriations would have stirred resentment and bred resistance. As I said, harsh peace settlements do not bring peace, they create resentments that fester over generations and lead to another round of conflict. Fortunately, Lincoln learned that lesson from history, even if you haven't.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

HemlockGrey wrote:There is a lot of space between the Versailles Treaty and what the South got after the war. The generally accepted method of dealing with traitors and rebels in the 19th century involved a wall and a line of riflemen. I agree that that would have been too harsh. However, the plantation owners should have lost their land, which then should have been redistributed to the black population. High-ranking officers in the Confederate army and officials in its government should have been barred from public office in the reconstructed states. Legal steps should have been taken to prevent the South from disenfranchising the blacks after the war.
Such steps were taken, Hemlock. I had to look into this once, after a particularly persistent Confederate wanker tried to tell me that Jim Crow was all the work of Northern carpetbaggers and that the Southerners wouldn't have done it (:roll:) and found that disenfranchising and segregating blacks was made illegal under federal law... until the Supreme Court started striking down the laws left and right. I'll have to check again to find the case; it was over a railway segregation scheme in Louisiana that was challenged under the first civil rights act, and the federal law was struck down. At least, that's how I recall it. Let me check my records; I might have kept a link to the relevant documents.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

HemlockGrey wrote:Harsh would have been inflicting the March to the Sea on the whole country.
While I agree that Shermanizing the entire South would have been too harsh a retaliation for the war, I should point out that the March was not nearly as destructive as it is made out to be. Sherman's soldiers did their fair share of pillaging, but you know what? So did soldiers in the other armies. If you were a soldier in the Civil War, regardless of which side, if you were starving and a civilian had food (such as an extra pig or cow), it was effectively considered forfeit for the war effort.
Special field orders for Sherman's army, written November 9, 1864 (emphasis mine) wrote:<snip logistics and organization orders>

4. The army will forage liberally on the country during the march. To this end, each brigade commander will organize a good and sufficient foraging party, under the command of one or more discreet officers, who will gather, near the route traveled, corn or forage of any kind, meat of any kind, vegetables, corn-meal, or whatever is needed by the command, aiming at all times to keep in the wagons at least ten days' provisions for his command, and three days' forage. Soldiers must not enter the dwellings of the inhabitants, or commit any trespass; but, during a halt or camp, they may be permitted to gather turnips, potatoes, and other vegetables, and to drive in stock in sight of their camp. To regular foraging-parties must be intrusted the gathering of provisions and forage, at any distance from the road traveled.

5. To corps commanders alone is intrusted the power to destroy mills, houses, cotton-gins, etc.; and for them this general principle is laid down: In districts and neighborhoods where the army is unmolested, no destruction of such property should be permitted; but should guerrillas or bushwhackers molest our march, or should the inhabitants burn bridges, obstruct roads, or otherwise manifest local hostility, then army commanders should order and enforce a devastation more or less relentless, according to the measure of such hostility.

6. As for horses, mules, wagons, etc., belonging to the inhabitants, the cavalry and artillery may appropriate freely and without limit; discriminating, however, between the rich, who are usually hostile, and the poor and industrious, usually neutral or friendly. Foraging-parties may also take mules or horses, to replace the jaded animals of their trains, or to serve as pack-mules for the regiments of brigades. In all foraging, of whatever kind, the parties engaged will refrain abusive or threatening language, and may, where the officer in command thinks proper, given written certificates of the facts, but no receipts; and they will endeavor to leave with each family a reasonable portion for their maintenance.

<snip stance on the local blacks and more logistics orders>
Soldiers were not permitted to trespass into civilian houses, ordered to leave non-resisting towns alone, and told that, when confiscating supplies, to first take from the rich citizens.

How barbaric! :roll:
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

*Chuckle* You know, that reminds me of General Beauregard's "abolition hosts" speech. His statement:
To the People of the Counties of Loudoun, Fairfax, and Prince William:--

A reckless and unprincipled tyrant has invaded your soil. Abraham Lincoln, regardless of all moral, legal, and constitutional restraints, has thrown his abolition hosts among you, who are murdering and imprisoning your citizens, confiscating and destroying your property, and committing other acts of violence and outrage too shocking and revolting to humanity to be enumerated.

All rules of civilized warfare are abandoned, and they proclaim by their acts, if not on their banners, that their war-cry is "Beauty and Booty." All that is dear to man,--your honor and that of your wives and daughters,--your fortunes and your lives, are involved in this momentous contest...

G. T. Beauregard,
Brigadier-General Commanding.
Of course, strangely enough:
Three days prior to this, General McDowell, commanding the Union forces, had issued a general order directing statements to be made by officers of all land occupied, crops taken or damaged, buildings occupied, trees cut down, and fencing destroyed, with an estimate of the value thereof, and the names of the owners, in order that compensation might be made to them.
:lol:

Source.

Oh, and in case anyone is interested, my arsenal is located here.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

So given that, what the fuck makes you assume so blithely that they wouldn't have been willing to jump on this bandwagon as well? A lot of those plantation owners were looked up to by the poorer folk who lived around them. Robert E. Lee, blueblooded aristocrat that he was, was idolized by many a poor southerner. The damn Yankees steal land from its rightful owners to give to a bunch of dirty niggers (apologies for using the word, but that's how they would have seen it back then) and you think white people wouldn't have been willing to resist? Why? Race trumps class in the Civil War era south. Hell, you could count on those same dispossessed plantation owners actively recruiting men to fight for them in such an insurgency. And since many of those plantation owners were former officers who led those poorer southerners in battle, some of whom were respected and listened to, they'd have got some. It is absolutely realistic to imagine that any such land appropriations would have stirred resentment and bred resistance. As I said, harsh peace settlements do not bring peace, they create resentments that fester over generations and lead to another round of conflict. Fortunately, Lincoln learned that lesson from history, even if you haven't.
Maybe before they'd lost 300,000+ men, a war, and had their land been devestated, but I dispute that anything resembling a popular resistance would have been formed by the southern aristocracy over ideological matters after such an utter and complete defeat. At worst it would have been a larger scale version of the historical Southern insurgency- the Klu Klux Klan and its ilk. And that would have been a worthwhile price to pay for preventing 100 years of oppression.
and found that disenfranchising and segregating blacks was made illegal under federal law... until the Supreme Court started striking down the laws left and right.
That may be true, but it is much harder to disenfranchise a population that is established, armed, and landed.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

tharkûn
Tireless defender of wealthy businessmen

Post by tharkûn »

Buh? What the fuck? TR's entire presidency (and arguably his entire political career) was littered with an unfettered use of strong-arm tactics against anyone who disagreed with him, foreign or domestic.
There is a difference between strong arming some military negligable Latin American 'republic' and a 'country' with one of the best fighting forces then in existence. Likewise using the threat of American force to maintain the world order is a much defter touch than paving a road to richmond on dead bodies.
These tactics did result in good things (like the National Park Service, breaking up the trusts, and the end of the Ruso-Japanese war). But Lincoln forcibly put down a rebellion so the country would not fracture and repeat the centuries of bloody warfare that scarred the history of Europe. Anyone who thinks that the bloodshed could have been avoided is deluding themselves. The South in particular was positively itching for a war.
That is utter BS. European warfare centered on religion, dynasty, and nationalism. What exactly is going to be the driving force for armed conflict? Both the USA and CSA had the same religious mix (more or less), they spoke the same tongue, and both were strongly republican (as opposed to monarchist).

What territorial ambitions did the CSA have exactly? They based their government and the legitimacy off the sovreignty of states. The Deep South fought because Lincoln was going to abolish slavery in the territories (and by extension no new slave states would come into the Union to balance out the new free states). The Upper South joined only after Lincoln went forward with a plan to compell the Deep South to remain in the Union. Sure their might have been border skirmishes and the minor flair up, but it seems unlikely that the sheer body count of the Civil War was inevitable.
So, how come when Lincoln does something aggressive, he's a good president, but when TR does something aggressive, it's "superlative abilities"? Because during TR's presidency aggression did not involve an open war?
Pretty much. The greatest of statesmen walk a razor's edge between glory and failure. There is a great deal of situational judgement involved in wise agression, Lincoln faced either an inevitability or chose to fight a war that could be avoided (if on odious terms). As such Lincoln's foreign policy acheivements were minimal, his domestic policies were curtailed by the exigencies of war, and the actual conduct of the war was riddled with too many incompotents to be attributable to Lincoln one way or the other. TR played a far superior hand with lasting impacts in foreign policy and domestic benifits.

One could argue that Lincoln was a superior man for doing so much with such handicaps, but the hard part is Lincoln was dealt a crappy hand that makes giving him the top nod impossible.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

tharkûn wrote:There is a difference between strong arming some military negligable Latin American 'republic' and a 'country' with one of the best fighting forces then in existence. Likewise using the threat of American force to maintain the world order is a much defter touch than paving a road to richmond on dead bodies.
So by your logic bullying weaker opponents to get what you want is a more admirable trait than fighting a foe on equal ground to prevent your own home from being torn to pieces? Brilliant.
That is utter BS. European warfare centered on religion, dynasty, and nationalism. What exactly is going to be the driving force for armed conflict? Both the USA and CSA had the same religious mix (more or less), they spoke the same tongue, and both were strongly republican (as opposed to monarchist).
You mentioned nationalism. How about that? Or how about the common "their grass is greener. Let's take it" syndrome? Or how about raw materials? Even assuming that allowing the split would have held the Union and Confederate states in their respective nations (which is a stupid assumption, but posed simply as a hypothetical), do you honestly think the Confederates would have been content with just slaves and cotton?
What territorial ambitions did the CSA have exactly?

I don't know, perhaps the same territorial ambitions as the USA? You just made the argument that the two had the same culture.
They based their government and the legitimacy off the sovreignty of states.
Bullshit. When Tennessee voted for secession, half the counties tried to secede and rejoin the Union. The fact that the Confederacy sent in troops to keep that from happening shows that they didn't give a flying fuck about sovereignty unless it agreed with them.
The Deep South fought because Lincoln was going to abolish slavery in the territories (and by extension no new slave states would come into the Union to balance out the new free states).
Boo. Fucking. Hoo. Excuse me while I fail to sympathize with their plight.
The Upper South joined only after Lincoln went forward with a plan to compell the Deep South to remain in the Union.
Boo. Fucking. Hoo. They willingly cast their lot with the states you admitted fought because they wanted a spread of slavery.
Sure their might have been border skirmishes and the minor flair up, but it seems unlikely that the sheer body count of the Civil War was inevitable.
That kind of attitude is frankly disgusting. It basically amounts to "sure, my grandchildren will have decreased security, but fuck 'em. Peace in my time."

As for territorial disputes, how about when it comes time to decide who gets Oklahoma? Or Nebraska? Or Colorado? Or Wyoming? Or Utah? Or Nevada? Minor border disputes have a history of flaring up into full-scale wars.

Or how about California? It remained with the Union during the war, but it was isolated enough that it could have cleanly split had the South been allowed to go. Then we'd be faced with the prospect of a hypothetical three-sided Civil War.
Pretty much. The greatest of statesmen walk a razor's edge between glory and failure.
You mean like FIGHTING TO KEEP THE COUNTRY YOU WERE PUT IN CHARGE OF FROM SPLINTERING FASTER THAN A BRANCH THROWN IN A WOOD CHIPPER? That seems like a fucking razor-thin edge.
There is a great deal of situational judgement involved in wise agression, Lincoln faced either an inevitability or chose to fight a war that could be avoided (if on odious terms).
On a similar note, World War II also could have been avoided but countries like England, France, Russia, and the U.S. decided that sustaining millions of casualties was far preferable to letting Hitler remain in power. I doubt you have any objections to their decision to pursue that war.
As such Lincoln's foreign policy acheivements were minimal,
Oh, except for the fact that the U.S. was able to stand as one entity in future conflicts.
his domestic policies were curtailed by the exigencies of war,
On a side note, you're going to have some trouble paying the bills and vacuuming the carpet when you are busy trying to keep someone from burning your house down.
and the actual conduct of the war was riddled with too many incompotents to be attributable to Lincoln one way or the other.
If they cannot be attributed to Lincoln one way or the other, why bother introducing it as evidence of TR's superiority?
TR played a far superior hand with lasting impacts in foreign policy and domestic benifits.
1) Getting a superior hand means jack shit. I admire someone who gets dealt a shitty hand and still manages to come out on top.

2) Keeping the United States a cohesive nation is not a lasting impact in foreign policy and domestic benefits?
One could argue that Lincoln was a superior man for doing so much with such handicaps, but the hard part is Lincoln was dealt a crappy hand that makes giving him the top nod impossible.
See my previous point. The fact that Lincoln was able to succeed IN SPITE OF his shitty hand makes him much more admirable.
Perinquus
Virus-X Wannabe

Post by Perinquus »

HemlockGrey wrote:Maybe before they'd lost 300,000+ men, a war, and had their land been devestated, but I dispute that anything resembling a popular resistance would have been formed by the southern aristocracy over ideological matters after such an utter and complete defeat. At worst it would have been a larger scale version of the historical Southern insurgency- the Klu Klux Klan and its ilk. And that would have been a worthwhile price to pay for preventing 100 years of oppression.
Sorry, but a popular insurgency was contemplated in the immediate aftermath of crushing military defeat, and this was even after the south had lost 300,000 plus men. Lee nipped it in the bud. What you are very conveniently forgetting is that there is more than just ideology here. There is the issue of race. If you imagine for one instant that clever landowners could not have played on southern fear of blacks given power over whites you are in denial. How hard do you think it would have been to convince poor, ignorant, racist southern whites "they'll be coming for your land next"? And then they could play on all the fears of southern white women ravaged by newly emboldened, marauding blacks, just like scenes out of D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation". The fact that blacks weren't likely to run amok like this is irrelevant. The ignorant rednecks would have believed it, and that's what matters. It may offend your sense of justice that the south wasn't ground into the dirt after the Union victory, but as I said, Lincoln learned from history the futility of overy punitive peace settlements. They don't work.
tharkûn
Tireless defender of wealthy businessmen

Post by tharkûn »

So by your logic bullying weaker opponents to get what you want is a more admirable trait than fighting a foe on equal ground to prevent your own home from being torn to pieces? Brilliant.
We've had presidents who refused to bully other nations, the last being Carter, they have all had many problems because of it. From a pragmatic standpoint bullying should only be done when it has a realistic chance of working. TR managed to consistently do that, Lincoln opted to "bully" an opponent who most anyone at the time knew would not be cowed.
You mentioned nationalism. How about that? Or how about the common "their grass is greener. Let's take it" syndrome?
Nationalism in that period was tied to uniting people of a common culture and heritage under one nation. The best examples of it would be German nationalism, Italian nationalism, and Slavic nationalism. The idea was that the Danes should not rule Germans (as a war was fought to prevent in Holstein) or that the Slavs should not be ruled by a German ruler (as a large independence/terrorist movement fought for). The 19th century notion of nationalism would have no effect between the CSA and Union. There were no repressed national minorities (aside from the Irish, blacks, natives, etc.) that the common folk and rulers of one country would fight to "liberate".

As far as taking their grass. Please. The US turned annexing the whole of Mexico. The US turned down voluntary annexation of the Dominican Republic only shortly after this. Frankly the US has very rarely gone to war for territorial agrandization and never has managed to do so against a well armed and organized foe. Frankly why would the Union and the CSA be more likely to fight wars of territorial aggrandization than the USA was with Canada?
Or how about raw materials?
Both sides are among the most well endowed territories in the world. Exactly which raw materials would they not both have in sufficient quanity? Exactly which raw materials could they not readily acquire through trade?
Or how about raw materials? Even assuming that allowing the split would have held the Union and Confederate states in their respective nations (which is a stupid assumption, but posed simply as a hypothetical), do you honestly think the Confederates would have been content with just slaves and cotton?
No, dumbass, because the CSA never was just slaves and cotton. There was extensive animal husbandry throughout the south, mineral deposits abounded, and plenty of territory which could be industrialized. Frankly the reason they had slaves and cotton was not because they lacked other options, but because it made them friggen rich, sufficiently wealthy that they could import most anything cheaper than it could be made domesticly.
I don't know, perhaps the same territorial ambitions as the USA? You just made the argument that the two had the same culture.
The answer is more or less none. The vast unihabited spaces of the federal territories won from Mexico, and possibly Oklahoma would be it. The North didn't give a damn about these areas, Oklahoma was a dumping ground for natives and the former Mexican territories were close to inhospitable. The reason they tried to ban slavery in these territories was to prevent the southerners from maintaining anything close to parity in the senate, not because they really wanted arid land filled with Catholic Mexicans.
When Tennessee voted for secession, half the counties tried to secede and rejoin the Union.
Yes I know. You could make just as good a point looking at the West Virginia/Virginia split. However I didn't say the CSA was resting their claim on popular sovreignty or the rights of counties, I said they rested it upon the sovreignty of States. If the State of Tennesse duly voted to join the CSA, then the territory was part of the CSA until the elected officials in Tennessee decided otherwise.
They willingly cast their lot with the states you admitted fought because they wanted a spread of slavery.
Yes and a good number of abolitionists sided with them, the most prominent being General Lee. This was a period in time when citizen's loyalty was to their state, by and large, and not to the federal government. At the very least Lincoln's lack of diplomacy to the upper south (as well as Maryland and Missouri) is a slight black mark against.
As for territorial disputes, how about when it comes time to decide who gets Oklahoma? Or Nebraska? Or Colorado? Or Wyoming? Or Utah? Or Nevada? Minor border disputes have a history of flaring up into full-scale wars.
Yeah like fifty-four forty or fight? Or the border dispute in the Aroostook valley? Or the Alaskan border dispute? The fate of the San Juan Archipeligo?

Frankly there is no history of American border disputes flaring up into full-scale wars.

In any event:

Oklahoma goes to whomever wants it, being a net drag on whichever country is stuck with it (Oklahoma was were the US dumped natives which allegedly had treaty rights - niether population really wanted it).

Nebraska would most likely go union. The terrain is unsuitable for a slave economy and attracted mostly nothern and immigrant homesteaders.

Colorado would have gone Union. The population had only to go through procedural issues and would have voted to stay Northern.

Wyoming. Is again unsuitable for a slave economy, was predominately settled by northerners, and had no viabl economic connection to the CSA. It would most likely go North.

Utah is mormon country. The LDS were extremely pro-union and applied for statehood in the middle of the war.

Nevada would most likely go union as well, while there was a small pro-CSA group, the vast majority of the people were Northernors, and the territorial government reflected that.
Or how about California? It remained with the Union during the war, but it was isolated enough that it could have cleanly split had the South been allowed to go. Then we'd be faced with the prospect of a hypothetical three-sided Civil War.
Don't kid yourself. California was quite pro-union. The population was immigrant and its major contacts were via the overland passes through Utah and by ship via Panama and the Cape. California officially supplied 15,725 volunteers, some of which saw fighting in the east. Californian sucession is DELUSIONAL.

You mean like FIGHTING TO KEEP THE COUNTRY YOU WERE PUT IN CHARGE OF FROM SPLINTERING FASTER THAN A BRANCH THROWN IN A WOOD CHIPPER?
Yep. Lincoln was good president. He made slight errors, such as having trouble picking a good commander for the Army of the Potomic, not finessing the Upper South a bit better, etc. All of his errors pale in comparison to his achievements, however they do create a contrast.
On a similar note, World War II also could have been avoided but countries like England, France, Russia, and the U.S. decided that sustaining millions of casualties was far preferable to letting Hitler remain in power. I doubt you have any objections to their decision to pursue that war.
My main objections lies not with Lincoln bitchslapping South Carolina, but the way in which he pursued it, alienating the upper south and making the war longer and bloodier. I wanted to point out that Lincoln does not get a free pass on the great amount of carnage caused during the civil war. There were other options, other tactics, and Lincoln should have publicly looked them all over.
Oh, except for the fact that the U.S. was able to stand as one entity in future conflicts.
This is relevent why? The Spanish American war would have been just as lopsided. WWI would have seen the CSA side with the entente or be neutral and the eventual entry of the USA would still have doomed the central powers. In WWII the Union would have more than enough firepower to curbstomp the Axis. In the cold war, do you really think that either the Union or the CSA would hate each other more than the godless commies?

At the end of the day Lincoln had a lousy hand. He managed to survive. That is sufficient to make a him a good president, is it enough to make him the best? Do we know if another good president could have pulled that off? Most certainly Washington was able to deal with such things and a good case could be made for FDR. Exactly how much of the bloodbath is attributable to Lincoln (for instance being slow in sacking certain commanders when it was obvious they needed to go) and exactly how much of the benifit is attributable to Lincoln is not determinable. Given an abscence of evidence I rule on the side of caution.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Sorry, but a popular insurgency was contemplated in the immediate aftermath of crushing military defeat, and this was even after the south had lost 300,000 plus men. Lee nipped it in the bud. What you are very conveniently forgetting is that there is more than just ideology here. There is the issue of race. If you imagine for one instant that clever landowners could not have played on southern fear of blacks given power over whites you are in denial. How hard do you think it would have been to convince poor, ignorant, racist southern whites "they'll be coming for your land next"? And then they could play on all the fears of southern white women ravaged by newly emboldened, marauding blacks, just like scenes out of D.W. Griffith's "Birth of a Nation". The fact that blacks weren't likely to run amok like this is irrelevant. The ignorant rednecks would have believed it, and that's what matters. It may offend your sense of justice that the south wasn't ground into the dirt after the Union victory, but as I said, Lincoln learned from history the futility of overy punitive peace settlements. They don't work.
There is a difference between an insurgency being contemplated and an effective insurgency actually being put in place. The worst case scenario is far short of something like the Boer War here.

Secondly, my idea is not punitive, and it does not grind the South into the dirt; those are adjectives you invented. The worst damage done to the southern masses would have been ideological and while undoubtably a few diehards would have fought on a small-scale insurgency doomed to failure and some more hard feelings are certainly worth preventing 100 years of black oppression.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses