Multi-Board Poll: Teaching Intelligent Design in schools

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Do you believe that Intelligent Design, as defined as an intelligent interloper designing and creating life on Earth, should be taught in public high school science classes around the United States?

Poll ended at 2005-08-31 03:21pm

Yes
3%
No
97%

Total votes: 214

astrosanguinus
Redshirt

Post by astrosanguinus »

Magnetic wrote:Perhaps in a religion or philosophy class. :?
Which would be, I think, and as it should be, ina college class. It may be interesting (but I doubt it--these people are not truly interested in investigating the wonder around us, and that to me is sad and boring) in a survey of religion class. By that I mean you can acknowledge its presence. Something like this does need to be discussed in the framework of critical thought and scientific debate--by people who have already begun their own investigations and can talk about it in non-believing or non-reverential tones. Isn't the Discovery Institute linked to the Moonies? I have a vague recollection of seing that stated somewhere. Which leads to my question now, which I think is just as important as "Should it be taught?" which is: What is the agenda of the IDers?
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

To push God into the class room the only way they can: by referring to him/her/it as the "Intelligent Designer", which is a "subtle" way of saying the Lord.

They figure if they can get that far, they'll have a real foot hold for more blatant Creationism, Old Earth, perhaps.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
spikenigma
Village Idiot

Post by spikenigma »

at the risk of "me-tooing" I voted no

intelligent design shouldn't be taught in the science classroom or the religious one. It's not even theology as far as I understand it, it's just the initial premise of "life is too complex to have come about by chance, evidence to the contrary be damned or strawmanned!".

I've of course substituted "The United States" for "Great Britain" in the original question
There is no knowledge that is not power...
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

ID is covered in your average Philosophy course; debunking the argument from design is part of the whole "arguments for God's existence" section of the curriculum.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
spikenigma
Village Idiot

Post by spikenigma »

I thought ID was very careful not to postulate "Goddidit" (to try and pass it off as a scientific theory) and instead assert a probable "intelligent entity" based on the 'scientific evidence' we have.

The "proofs" for this theory falling under one of the following:

* x theory doesn't acount for y
* a is b (b being a strawman), therefore theory c cannot have been responsible for it
* g scientist/palentologist of x years believes and postulates an intelligent designer, thus ID has merit
* e theory (e being completely or tangentally related to the current topic) has proven false, therefore f related theory we are talking about must also be false

like the following questions:

"produce 6 cons for both the execution and methodology of one of Spiegleman's RNA experiments"

would not be in a question for a philosophy class, but a biology lecture

"produce 6 cons for both the execution and methodology of an abiogenesis experiment, which suggests that current thinking about the subject is wrong"

would also not be a question for a philosophy class but a biolodgy one. This question however, hints ID

...which is why (as I said) I thought the entire ID movement was careful not to bring "God" into their theories because the minute they do, it moves into the realm of Philosophy/Theolodgy and can no longer mascarade as science. Rather they just try to pick holes in current thinking.
There is no knowledge that is not power...
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

spikenigma wrote:I thought ID was very careful not to postulate "Goddidit" (to try and pass it off as a scientific theory) and instead assert a probable "intelligent entity" based on the 'scientific evidence' we have.
The principle is the same; unexplained (sometimes irreducible) complexity in nature equates to it being designed. Classically this means God, nowadays it means God, but nobody says it.

Paley gives on the watch example, how we know it's designed, supposedly not because it is clearly artificial and different from nature and we know that humans made it, but because its inner workings are cmoplex. Such marvellous complexity. Much greater complexity can be seen in any biological system, thus, it too was designed. Then, to counter all this, you quote Darwin and Hume and give an explanation of evolution accounting for complex natural features.

Darwin dealt with such nonsense himself.
like the following questions:

"produce 6 cons for both the execution and methodology of one of Spiegleman's RNA experiments"

would not be in a question for a philosophy class, but a biology lecture

"produce 6 cons for both the execution and methodology of an abiogenesis experiment, which suggests that current thinking about the subject is wrong"

would also not be a question for a philosophy class but a biolodgy one. This question however, hints ID

...which is why (as I said) I thought the entire ID movement was careful not to bring "God" into their theories because the minute they do, it moves into the realm of Philosophy/Theolodgy and can no longer mascarade as science. Rather they just try to pick holes in current thinking.
The actual core of ID's principles are already addressed in Philosophy, that's all I was noting, regardless of them trying to make ID look more scientific.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I don't think ID should be taught in school because I HAVE DISCOVERED THE TRUE REASON THAT IT EXISTS!!

The creationists wish to undo Adam's mistake by destroying all semblence of the gift we attained from it! Knowledge must be disreguarded! The scary books must be destroyed! Return man to a state of ignorance and stupidity, for that will make their divine leader happy!
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

one day left! I can't find this poll on any other boards though :(
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Knife wrote:Not that I'm too surprised, but 161 to 4 seems a total one sided victory (for common sense). Wheeeeeeee.
There seem to be three more "yes" votes than there were a week or two ago. :?
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Surlethe wrote:
Knife wrote:Not that I'm too surprised, but 161 to 4 seems a total one sided victory (for common sense). Wheeeeeeee.
Aren't at least two of them admitted mis-clicks?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Noble Ire wrote:
Surlethe wrote:
I thought two or three of the initial four "yes" votes were mis-clicks? Then, suddenly, there are three more "yes"s.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Surlethe wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:
Surlethe wrote: There seem to be three more "yes" votes than there were a week or two ago. :?
I thought two or three of the initial four "yes" votes were mis-clicks? Then, suddenly, there are three more "yes"s.
Our good friend boc120 probably voted yes
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Nope! History class, maybe. Comparative Religion or Theology class, definitely. If it was better-thought-out, it'd be great for Creative Writing classes.

Science class, though? No way.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Boc and Ravengrim no doubt added their manure to the heap.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

It's Sept. 2. What's the word?
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

LOL!! Someone actually said this on SpaceBattle. :lol:
Creation is obvious. I understand not everyone is a Christian, but surely you still must realise that everything had to start at some point. And if it hadnt been going until then, with nothing else happening either, then that means that there was no catalyst to ever get it going. That means something must have got it going. And that something must be a someone because it must be an intelligence. This is because since there was not catalyst for a start the intelligence had to make a decision or already have had a decision made to start. This means that the intelligence made everything since it was all that was before and this means the intelligence is superior to everything. This means that the intelligence must know about and be able to control everything meaning the intelligence must be omniscient and omnipotent. Since the intelligence made everything everywhere, than the intelligence must also be omnipresent.

Of course all that is a logical observation, not physical evidence. But thats part of the point. You cant prove it until the end times, because part of what it is about is faith.
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

For the record, as of Sept. 2:

Yes: 7

No: 207
F. Douglass