Picking WoW Char Classes

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

the .303 bookworm wrote:Either solo play or in a guild composed of sdn members.
I'm playing for 2-4 months probably, maybe more at the end of the year.
Pfft good luck on the SDN hunting, sicne we are scattered.

As for Solo, it varies in speed, but for the easiest solo is Paladin or Shaman for the first few levels and while not as desired as priest or warriors most groups will take you along.

While Hunter is nice for single, there is some of a learning curve from being a crap hunter and a decent one.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

and I gotta tell you to be a good hunter, you have to be DAMN good. it is so easy to screw up as a hunter and get your raid wiped. god help you if you push a wrong button. I am not a good hunter.
Guardian Of Tears
Redshirt

Post by Guardian Of Tears »

Orcs are actually a better race for hunters, they get extra damage with and IIRC their pets do 5 or 10 % more damage.
Plus they've got a racial resistance to stun and knock out effects, which is extremly bloody useful when you're trying to tame your chosen creature.

My main is a lvl 53 orc hunter on the Dreanor european server, and built right and in good party she can kick ass, I team with Ponder's warrior and while he and my pet hold the agro I shot the crap out of it and get lots of crits 'cos that's how i've built my hunter.

I've found that once you hit 50+ you really need to team to get quests done, no matter what your class or build, but that's just me.
Sing what you can't say, forget what you can't play
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

I'd personally go for a Dwarven Hunter, they do some pretty kickarse feats with a Gun... and they aren't so bad with the axe either.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Guardian Of Tears wrote:
I've found that once you hit 50+ you really need to team to get quests done, no matter what your class or build, but that's just me.
Not just you, everyone. :)

Though if you find a really good partner who's some healing and you, yourself are either damage or tank, you can do almost everything except ends of BRD, and higher with a trio.

Usually we went as Pally, Rogue, Priest. My best was two manning 80% of BRD with myself(a Pally) and a Rogue. Next up is trying Rogue and Warrior combo in BRD.

I will say this much, it teaches you a lot of things about pulling sapping and timing of who comes where and when.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

Ghost Rider wrote: As for Solo, it varies in speed, but for the easiest solo is Paladin or Shaman.
Shaman I agree with, but in my experience soloing with a pally is like watching continental drift. Sure it's safe but my god does it take forever to do anything.

For pure soloing you want either a rogue, hunter or warlock. As a rogue you're very fragile, but once you get to about level 20 and get a handle for the class you'll become a grinding machine. Meanwhile hunters have it even easier while warlocks are actually some of the best soloers in the game, but suffer a lot on pvp servers.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Tatterdemalion wrote: For pure soloing you want either a rogue, hunter or warlock. As a rogue you're very fragile, but once you get to about level 20 and get a handle for the class you'll become a grinding machine. Meanwhile hunters have it even easier while warlocks are actually some of the best soloers in the game, but suffer a lot on pvp servers.
My alt is a warlock and they rule. If i had known now what i knew then i'd have been a warlock from the start. In my experience they are the easiest to grind with, just get your voidwalker in battering away, step back unleash the DoT spells then the trusty wand on autofire and if ur feeling really evil, or the walker is getting ganked drop a rain of fire.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

I have a level 27 undead warlock on RuneTotem and a level 21 human rogue on the RP server Argant Dawn. All English servers.

So far i am finding it easier with my human rogue.

I am thinking of doing a dwarf priest but I don’t know what server. May weight for the RP PvP.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Hehe. Too easy with the Voidwalker, I use the Succubus for grinding to keep me on my toes.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I found the Succubus to be only useful in groups when someone else is generating with the agro.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

only problem I had with arlocks is so damned many curses/spells. I only played one to lowbie status (like lvl 12 or something) But DAYUM, just...lots of spells. I could never decide how many I wanted to cast on any given enemy. I love pet casters in general, but I dont think I could ever get a handle on Warlock, and I have immense respect for all who do. A good warlock is a fearsome opponent, and a great help in endgame raids, when the enemies are...well...quite a bit tougher than they should be, honestly. Damn...you guys are making me want to start playing again.
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Yeah, Warlocks actually suck though. Everything they do (short of self res for Alliance) can be replaced and do more with another class. They suck in PvP too. Warlocks need a supreme buff before they are a worthwhile class for hardcore play. Oh and level 12 isn't very far at all Chardok, you get the beef of your spells between 18 and 26 :p
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Akaramu Shinja wrote:Yeah, Warlocks actually suck though. Everything they do (short of self res for Alliance) can be replaced and do more with another class. They suck in PvP too. Warlocks need a supreme buff before they are a worthwhile class for hardcore play. Oh and level 12 isn't very far at all Chardok, you get the beef of your spells between 18 and 26 :p
Last I played, I heard complaints from the higher lvl warlocks in my guild that they were hopelessly bugged. Is this still true?
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

apparently so. My Warlock, Rimma, is at lvl 26 and so far nothing has majorly pissed me off. Sometimes my Voidwalker just stands looking at me when i order it to attack but thats all i;ve came across.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Chardok wrote:Last I played, I heard complaints from the higher lvl warlocks in my guild that they were hopelessly bugged. Is this still true?
Ooooo yeah.
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Well, I've got both full Improved Succubus and full Improved Lash of Pain in my build. If I'm careful with my damage, she keeps aggro on damage alone, which makes fights nice and fast. I have to babysit her with Health FUnnel sometimes, but if she does drop, I'm only a Fel Domination away from a half-second summon, so it's no real loss.

As for Warlocks not being useful endgame, have fun taking Garr without Warlocks to neutralize some of his adds. Lemme know how that goes for you. Ditto for Lava Packs.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

...urge to play.....rising...I demand you cease this onslaught at once.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Mannoroth server calls to you, it sings to you, yes it does...

:twisted:

Edit: Also, regarding the Phase Shift bugs someone mentioned, that's either fixed in 1.6.1 or in 1.7, I don't remember off the top of my head.

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The Euro servers seem to have up and died. The Selfmind is getting aggrivated, yes.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

If any here decides to start anew on Euro servers, come to Twilights Hammer for Alliance and Sunstrider for Horde. We can buddy up, I can help out with some resources for starters and such. Bags/Money etc.
アカラム

The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

What server do most US players play on?
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

I'm on blackhand. Well all my old toons are, anyways.
Guardian Of Tears
Redshirt

Post by Guardian Of Tears »

Lord Pounder wrote:I found the Succubus to be only useful in groups when someone else is generating with the agro.
Like your g/fs lvl 50 giant vampire bat for example? xp
Ghost Rider wrote:Though if you find a really good partner who's some healing and you, yourself are either damage or tank, you can do almost everything except ends of BRD, and higher with a trio.

Usually we went as Pally, Rogue, Priest. My best was two manning 80% of BRD with myself(a Pally) and a Rogue. Next up is trying Rogue and Warrior combo in BRD.

I will say this much, it teaches you a lot of things about pulling sapping and timing of who comes where and when.
Well I mostly team with a couple of warriors (Pounder and a friend of ours respectivly) so our strat is me to pull away and then for us to beat the hell out of it before it has a chance to do any real damadge.

Works <i>most</i> of the time xp[/quote]
Sing what you can't say, forget what you can't play
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Guardian Of Tears wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:Though if you find a really good partner who's some healing and you, yourself are either damage or tank, you can do almost everything except ends of BRD, and higher with a trio.

Well I mostly team with a couple of warriors (Pounder and a friend of ours respectivly) so our strat is me to pull away and then for us to beat the hell out of it before it has a chance to do any real damadge.

Works <i>most</i> of the time xp
LOL...yeah, for me the problem used to go as such:

Early on the funniest reason things failed is if I failed to get aggro because the beasties ran back at near light speed or worse, they saw the priest, the Rogue has already vanished and the priest becomes squishe, which then has her screaming and running, and usually getting into another group, which has me running around tapping everything and somehow trying to maintain enourmous aggro with the rogue going "Wha happened?"

We learned from that.

Though now with MC raid wipes are bizarre and random, usually just the main tank exploding or dying somehow and then the boss going happy insane as we run like headless chickens.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

OK I got the game now I'm trying it out once I install it.

EDIT:I'm slip between a human Paladin and a human priest for the first character.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n