BSG: "Home" Part 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Grasscutter wrote:I thought that at first too, but it's actually an image telling you the URL for the spoiler image.
Exactly, however in thed future I may drop the double image thing and just use a simge image.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

You know this bears mentioning; I feel like a total dumbass in not realising the Zodiac connection until this episode ... did it occur to anyone else earlier?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Akaramu Shinja
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Akaramu Shinja »

Short of the same names, I think we've yet to been given a real connection. Probably will come up though, god I love this show :D
アカラム

I melt two faces in the morning. I melt two faces at night. I melt two faces in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I melt two faces in time of peace, and two in time of war. I melt two faces before I melt two faces, and then I melt two more. - Ballad of a PK
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Akaramu Shinja wrote:Short of the same names, I think we've yet to been given a real connection. Probably will come up though, god I love this show :D
If I'm getting my astronomy correct; the zodiacs are constellation of stars that situated perpendicular to Sol's hemisphere (the plane upon which Earth rotates), which means it is essentially a star map. The 'central'* point of the zodiac is Sol if I understand correctly.

Remember Roslin said that it's not only the names, but the actual constellations (they were on the original flags of the twelve colonies), the thirteenth is the 'centre' of the circle.

*'Central' being used figuratively and not literally.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Take it from a fan of the originial... Each colony/tribe is named for one of the Zodiac. (or, from their point of view, the constellations are named for the Tribes)

And if you'll recall, Starbuck was the one to get it first "We're ON Earth!"
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Old Plympto wrote:Just saw it...

Might Six be something other than a Cylon? This series' version of Count Iblis, perhaps?
I was thinking the same thing.

"According to their new history, around a thousand yahrens (years) prior to the timeframe of the series, the Cylons were visited by Count Iblis, a being of intense evil. What happened next was never well defined, but through Count Iblis, the reptilian race met its end and were replaced by a machine race that assumed the name Cylon. These robots, under the command of a machine Imperious Leader, whose voice was that of Count Iblis himself, first came at odds with the humans when the Colonials defended a friendly race, the Hasaris, whom the Cylons planned to enslave."

Similarly, Six may represent an outside force that incited the Cylons to rebel against humanity in the first place.
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

What are you talking about, what reptilian race are you talking about? I haven't seen all of the old BSG, but I sure as hell don't remember any lizards.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

InnocentBystander wrote:What are you talking about, what reptilian race are you talking about? I haven't seen all of the old BSG, but I sure as hell don't remember any lizards.
The race that built the Cylons that went extinct a thousand years before the show began and who were never seen on screen but mentioned in dialogue.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yeah, the original Cylon robots basically supplanted and assumed the identity of their creators. Sound familiar?

Even their "Imperious Leader" was just an advanced robot fashioned to look just like the real, reptilian Cylon Imperious Leader.

I figure RDM is setting his Cylons up the same way. That some entity/force (represented by Six) has been manipulating the Cylons all along in the same that Count Iblis apparently did with the originals. Of course, I also expect RDM to keep the true nature of this force rather vague...
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Galvatron wrote:Yeah, the original Cylon robots basically supplanted and assumed the identity of their creators. Sound familiar?

Even their "Imperious Leader" was just an advanced robot fashioned to look just like the real, reptilian Cylon Imperious Leader.

I figure RDM is setting his Cylons up the same way. That some entity/force (represented by Six) has been manipulating the Cylons all along in the same that Count Iblis apparently did with the originals. Of course, I also expect RDM to keep the true nature of this force rather vague...
So instead of subscribing such a name as 'aphrodite' to Six, perhaps we should label her 'Lilith'.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
InnocentBystander wrote:What are you talking about, what reptilian race are you talking about? I haven't seen all of the old BSG, but I sure as hell don't remember any lizards.
The race that built the Cylons that went extinct a thousand years before the show began and who were never seen on screen but mentioned in dialogue.

yup Also. the show was originally supposed to have living reptillian cylons but the network balked at showing so much killing in a tv series so they were changed into robots who had overthrown thier reptillian masters. THE BSG novels however kept the reptiles
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

xerex wrote:yup Also. the show was originally supposed to have living reptillian cylons but the network balked at showing so much killing in a tv series so they were changed into robots who had overthrown thier reptillian masters. THE BSG novels however kept the reptiles
I remember going WTF when I read the novel "The Cylon Death Machine" which was really a novelization of "The Gun On Ice Planet Zero". Any narrative involving Vulpa, the lead Centurion on the planet's garrison, implied that it was an organic armored being instead of a robot. IIRC (this was over 20 years ago) there was even a part where he was complaining in the form of first person narrative that his skin was itchy or flaking off or something under the armor.
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Wait wait wait, I thought the Cylons were made by the colonials, and then rebelled? I could swear that was the case for original BSG too...
I really hope that isn' the case for nBSG, because well... it sounds dumb frankly.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The old BSG Cylon robots were created by the reptilian Cylon species, whom they turned on and exterminated a millennium ago.

Link

The new BSG Cylon robots were created by Man.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

In the book, I thought the original Cylons were organics as well. Each Cylon has a first brain, that provided basic stuff they needed to get around. Commanders got a second brain, and only the Imperious leader got a third brain.

When the Galactica and people escaped from the trap the Imperious leader made, he nearly ordered his own death. The IL canceled though, as the Cylons would need his leadership and knowledge.
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Coalition wrote:In the book, I thought the original Cylons were organics as well. Each Cylon has a first brain, that provided basic stuff they needed to get around. Commanders got a second brain, and only the Imperious leader got a third brain.
all true. but altered for family tv
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Coalition wrote:In the book, I thought the original Cylons were organics as well. Each Cylon has a first brain, that provided basic stuff they needed to get around. Commanders got a second brain, and only the Imperious leader got a third brain.

When the Galactica and people escaped from the trap the Imperious leader made, he nearly ordered his own death. The IL canceled though, as the Cylons would need his leadership and knowledge.
They may have been referring to new, higher level machine brains. In fact, i think that makes more sense than to imagine an alien, semi-organic race replacing their "brains" when they move up in rank.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

Guardsman Bass wrote:

They may have been referring to new, higher level machine brains. In fact, i think that makes more sense than to imagine an alien, semi-organic race replacing their "brains" when they move up in rank.
not replaced ADDED. the Leader has 3 brians, commanders 2, everyone else 1 because you know the more brains who have the smarter you are. :-)
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Who called the high-tech map room? I called the high-tech map room.

I was kinda disappointed with this episode, though. The "now we all love each other" seemed like a copout, and Zarek seemed like a pussy, and I was really hoping for Moore to throw a curveball with the Tomb.

But the Baltar/Harvey #6 interaction was awesome as usual.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Crown wrote:You know this bears mentioning; I feel like a total dumbass in not realising the Zodiac connection until this episode ... did it occur to anyone else earlier?
I knew of it, but only because I've seen the original BSG.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

HemlockGrey wrote:I was kinda disappointed with this episode, though. The "now we all love each other" seemed like a copout
I'm betting that Moore is setting us up for (SPOILER) Admiral Cain to blow in with Battlestar Pegasus and try to steer the fleet into a confrontation with the Cylons, while Roslyn and Adama are united against Cain in the quest to find Earth
Son of the Suns
Lex Eternus

Post by Son of the Suns »

Ok, dammit. I don't get sci-fi anymore. Someone please give me a detailed synopsis.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Uraniun235 wrote:
HemlockGrey wrote:I was kinda disappointed with this episode, though. The "now we all love each other" seemed like a copout
I'm betting that Moore is setting us up for (SPOILER) Admiral Cain to blow in with Battlestar Pegasus and try to steer the fleet into a confrontation with the Cylons, while Roslyn and Adama are united against Cain in the quest to find Earth
That would be quite cool. Has there been a Sheba character yet in the series that I've missed?
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
xerex
Jedi Knight

Post by xerex »

The Dark wrote:
Uraniun235 wrote:
That would be quite cool. Has there been a Sheba character yet in the series that I've missed?
nope not yet......but the episode previews indicate that pegasus shows up in episode ten entitled "pegasus" with a female Adm. Cain
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

The Dark wrote:That would be quite cool. Has there been a Sheba character yet in the series that I've missed?
No, and Moore says in his blog that there won't be one.

xerex: Moore also indicated as such in his blog.