Verdigris Complete (see pg 4) (56K warn)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Fantastic job. The clothing has a nice look and subtle and good touches to it, and the poses you put Edge are excellent as well.

The quality and effort you put it into him shows a great deal of talent and care, bravo good lady, bravo. :D
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Zaia
Inamorata

Re: Finished Edge

Post by Zaia »

Pick wrote:And Dalton- :wink: Er... I'm probably going to head into finance, honestly.
BZZZZZZZZT!

Veto!
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pick wrote:And Dalton- :wink: Er... I'm probably going to head into finance, honestly.
I suppose, but your talents with both pencil and sculpture are very good and honed to an admirable degree, and there are people with less talent that do make money off what you are doing for fun and/or low fees.

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Ah, I'm glad you liked how the pics were taken, Noble Ire :wink: I did try to make them especially neat and nice, so that I didn't have an excuse to blame the camera for once! :lol: Anyway, I'm really glad you liked it. Thanks!

And... :oops: Wow, Spanky, that's quite something to say. Though, er, of course I had to give him clothes! Otherwise, he's just... not finished! Sewing's probably my least favorite stage, but thankfully it's not too hard to get a competent item done successfully. This one was unusually tough though :). I'm really quite happy you think so much of it; I'll try to keep at this kind of quality, then (let's prays school doesn't suck out my life...) Though I'm long way to being one of those crazy Japanese modelers :wink:

Much obliged to you too, Ghost Rider, I'm really glad to see that you think that the poses were useful and helpful, and that it was a good job. I try to keep doing the best I can, and as cliche as it sounds, it's been proving very useful. :)

As for being an artist, it's very much a backup plan after all other options are exhausted. Art's a hobby kind of thing for me, at least for now. I'll probably take classes in college in it if I can fit it in, but beyond that, keeping it a hobby means I can do all of it for me and only me if I so choose, which is a freedom freelancers lack.

On that note, Alder head!

:) And yes, this is the token 'insanely good-aligned' character. Thus far. :)

(Super Sculpey, fur, hairspray, Secret Ingredient, blue ink dye, false eyelashes, acrylic, feathers, beads, nail polish... argharghagh, "stuff"!)

And no, the 'eyelashes=girl' general rule of thumb doesn't work here. Good people are supposed to be sparklyfruity. :P
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Own! Fucking own!
I have more pics, let me know if you're curious to see :)
Pretty please? With a cherry on top? :zaia:
JADAFETWA
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Pick wrote:As for being an artist, it's very much a backup plan after all other options are exhausted. Art's a hobby kind of thing for me, at least for now. I'll probably take classes in college in it if I can fit it in, but beyond that, keeping it a hobby means I can do all of it for me and only me if I so choose, which is a freedom freelancers lack.
Understandable. But I will say and won't be the last, you have a lot of talent and a very good eye and skill at both drawing and sculpting.

And nice to see more figures coming up :D .

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Oh and Pick your amazing....

I'll have to get cellular in time for next year's comicon, so that the SDN group can have a full meet up.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Daaamn. Just picked up this thread after spending entirely too much time gaming, and that's some niiiice work, Pick. You're like MacGuyver, only with art, instead of things that go 'bang.'
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Warrglaarglfnuurg...

Decided to do a doll for speed, see how fast I could do one. Hence, here is Alder!

Alder is sickly cute and a tad liable to spaz. He serves on the Dark Council Of Syvoria (as does Edge and Verdigris and Umber bla bla bla) as the Councilor of Agricultural and Environmental Concerns. Nooot really by choice :)

Alder's my fifth favorite of the Councilors, so if I only end up making my top 5 favorites (very possible) he'll be my least favorite of the characters in doll form. I did him before Verdigris (my next doll) so I could test some new means of production and doing joints. His joints are... in some ways better and some ways worse than Edge's. He doesn't naturally pose as well, but his joints are less obvious.

He is not meant to best Edge; Edge is my favorite --I poured much more work into him than Alder.

Super Sculpey, fur, marker dye, feathers, beads, false eyelashes, nail polish, glitter, matte finish, brad backs, elastic, eye screws, swimsuit material, more goddamn beads, ribbon, murelle (dark navy), feathers, hairspray, superglue, jade pieces, my sanity, varnish, more fucking beads.

I'll get better pictures tomorrow when I have a chance. This picture's not too good, but it's so dark in my house I can't get another good one. :oops: And his face looks a bit bumpy because his glitter's not shining and it messes up his smoothness of his face.

Sans clothes:

And more pics of Edge for Kuja :P

There was another rock I was standing on, but it was precarious...

Unlike this one, where I was pretty much doomed to scummy feet

And our mini waterfall in town :P

... I like water :wink:

On his trusty steed!

And a sketch, just because:

Umber a loooong time ago :lol:

:luv: Thanks for everyone's kind words and patience with my dollsdollsdolls :wink:
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

This one's the best picture of the lot. I was expecting something totally different. :)
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Yeah, that park is just a little tiny walk from my house, and I couldn't resist putting him on those old toys. They're awesome; I used to play on them all the time when I was a kid :)
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I remember we used to have a park very much like that, and even little horsies very much like that.

Then those asshats at the city ripped it all out and put in Generic Plastic Playstructures.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ah the old horse....we still have a couple squestere away.

Even for your leaset fave, I love the detail, though far more syrupy sweet then Edge. And I can see the difference in detail in both, still very nice.

Hope to see more :)

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Looks really good.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Here's the better pictures I said I'd get!

The main trouble is he's so goddamn light that half the pictures I get of him, he looks like a flourescent puffball. :)

Alder actually likes nature less than Edge does, but it's still the best for photo ops. :P

A closeup of Alder next to some birch trees :)

Kick back and relax!

Aww, stop giving him crap, Edge, he just wants to get away from the scary, scary empire of Syvoria!:lol:

Alder's my character, not fanart (I always establish this, sorry :wink: or someone asks.)
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Alder certainly is of a different look and style, but the craftsmanship is again quite brilliant, both in the figure and clothing. And it's nice to see your still doing the posing. :wink:
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Zaia wrote:
BZZZZZZZZT!

Veto!
Double plus good vetoed. Finance? :shock:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Noble Ire wrote:Alder certainly is of a different look and style, but the craftsmanship is again quite brilliant, both in the figure and clothing. And it's nice to see your still doing the posing. :wink:
Thanks! And yeah, he does, but it's mostly because of the style I work in (anime, obviously.) It means that you can get some very different looks even within one 'style'. Alder, for instance, does look very different from Edge, because Alder's much, much younger, much more innocent-and-Good (Capital letter is intentional), and generally sparkly :lol:. Oh, and he's shorter, so some comparative proportions are a little different.

But to really sum it up?

Oh, and for anyone familiar with anime, though, who is wondering whether Alder signals I'm one of 'those' kinds of female anime fans, no, not really. Alder's got a considerable crush on Verdigris, of all people :P.

As for my for-the-time-being intended career path:

I want a job with a steady, liveable income that does not cater to providing luxuries which people wouldn't purchase in even a minor economic downturn. Not to mention when being an artist would entail me doing pictures for other people of what they wanted, and if not that, working my ass off to do about fifty million pictures in the desperate hope that someone might purchase one of them. I consider art to be an ideal hobby: something fun I can do, when I want, and of what subjects I desire. It's not as though art is my only ability, in fact, it might be one of my areas where it would be hardest for me to really advance to a good, steady career position. Soooooo...... finance sounds good :wink:
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Pick wrote:I want a job with a steady, liveable income that does not cater to providing luxuries which people wouldn't purchase in even a minor economic downturn. Not to mention when being an artist would entail me doing pictures for other people of what they wanted, and if not that, working my ass off to do about fifty million pictures in the desperate hope that someone might purchase one of them. I consider art to be an ideal hobby: something fun I can do, when I want, and of what subjects I desire. It's not as though art is my only ability, in fact, it might be one of my areas where it would be hardest for me to really advance to a good, steady career position. Soooooo...... finance sounds good :wink:
Sounds like a good plan, one thing that you'd want to avoid would be having your artistic abilities becoming part of your job as one bad project or pain-in-the-arse client demanding insane deadlines could put you off your own art for ages. Also, when you came back from art-based job, the last thing you'd want to do would be more arty stuff. It removes the escapey part of it.

Alder is good, but still prefer Edge. What is the iridescant mass of fluff on the back of Alder though? Wings?
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Yup, they're wings :wink:

I figured though I'd give you guys one last update-y thing before school begins, and that's my animation trial. I wanted to see how well I could lip-sync before I asked my actually-quite-beloved art teacher if I could do an animation project, instead of, y'know, drawing apples in conte crayon.

It doesn't actually HAVE the voice though, because it's... my voice, and that's not really how young Edge should sound. By the way, yes, that's why he doesn't have horns or more eyes yet. Kind of.

I'm sorry, .wmv is the only format I could do this in, since the only program I know how to make movies in is Microsoft Movie Maker and that isn't too good about being accommodating, but on the plus side, it's a relatively small file. So apologies to everyone :oops: I'm not very good at this sort of thing.

And I don't customarily do animations, even just sketch animations like this :oops: This is only, like, my third one. Some things are definitely 'off' but I was really focusing on mouths, not general animation (or I would have had more sequences of movement that aren't mouths, obviously :lol: ), so I am not too concerned about those.

Link

Dolls are on hold while I get ready for school, though I've got the bits for Shader's eyes and Verdigris' horns/claws, which is a good start for that. I'm thinking of maybe taking a break off the Council at some point and making a Sirius Black doll from Harry Potter, but that'll wait :).
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Just as long as you don't give this up, sweetheart. You have an incredibly rare talent.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Worked fine for me and looked great.

I especially liked the end. :)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Fantastic as always, oh and I've not forgotten about the trade thing, (been switching between busy and lazy, personally ;) ) and so, I've drawn you a hot witch floating on a broomstick in front of Cthulhu, and am currently redoing it in fineliner, and will later colour it in photoshop.

It's somewhere around two thirds done.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Motherfucking A, Pick. It's utterly awesome. Don't you dare stop doing this, because it's just that excellent.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Finance, bah!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.