Picking WoW Char Classes

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

the .303 bookworm wrote: Do rogues require special tactics to use or do you just use abilities to stealth then your next attack gains extra damage?
Also Warlocks need to farm for spell shards for their spells right?

What is the most wanky class then that's good for single player (and the best race to go with it), is mage any good?
For the most part rogues aren't especially tactical (at least not compared to warriors) as by about lvl 30 you'll have developed a routine that will kill most monsters in one on one and got a sense for weather or not you can win a battle before even begins (which is the main advantage of playing a rogue: stealth allows you to pick your battles and rogue dps tends to be very stable, meaning that barring genuinly unpredictable events you can generally choose to only fight battles you know you can win).

Basically fighting with a rogue (once you reach mid-levels and up) works as follows:

1) Pick your target
2) Catch him/her off guard (much harder to do in pvp than pve)
3) Use your opener (Generally either ambush for extreme damage or cheapshot for 4 second stun and a lot of combo points)
4) Build your combo points (how you'll do this depends on your talents, generally its either by standing your ground and sinister striking, or by stunning with gouge then backstabbing, both have their risks and advantages)
5) Let rip with a finisher, usually eviscerate (how big a portion of your damage eviserate is depends on your talents but eviscerate is usually your single biggest burst damage unless you purchased loads of ambush talents) although in longer battles you may want to use kidney shot (for a LOOONG stun) or on pve bosses Rupture (huge DoT)
6) Vanish or blind. This step only applies in pvp or group pve. (six and seven can usually be skipped if your enemies nearly dead in favour of a few more sinister strikes/backstabs)
7) Rinse and repeat (from 1 if you restealthed, from 4 if you're in solo pve)

And in answer to your final sentence, mages are great for PvE, however due to the way mana works they generally have to spend about 30 secs after every battle drinking to restore mana, while rogues can go straight on to their next target.
Last edited by Tatterdemalion on 2005-09-02 04:36am, edited 1 time in total.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

PvE then.

Also is there a way to make your character go somewhere automatically (Lets say the next region)?
Also is there an autocast for buff spells?
Also is there a way to set a spell as the default attack instead of a melee attack?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

I found playing a warlock to be quite fun, but very frustrating at times.
PvP is incredibly painful, as you literally have to grind for about half an hour for soul shards, without which you would have an exceptionally difficult time. Plus, curses and other DOTs simply take far too long to complete to be worth anything. If the time was halved and the damage kept the same, warlocks would be MUCH more competitive.

However, PvE, I found, is very fun. My warlock could easily take on 4 green mobs or 2-3 yellow mobs at once and come away with half health. I even found myself saving my entire group in instances simply by using soulstones or curse of recklessness, which is an absolute god send in dungeons.
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Our Guild raided Razor Hill on Moonrunner the other day.

Nothing pisses on the Horde like hitting Durotar :)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."