Our new kitty

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Thats very similar to how my cat was when she was a kitten. Kitten's are balls of energy. They go absolutely bonkers for upwards of 2 hours, then they sleep heavy for two hours (pick them up by the tail and they don't even wake up, ok I never did that). My cat hated being alone she had to sleep on or right next to someone. If we got up and left and she woke without us being near by she cried for us to come to her.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

I want my kitty to be approachable, I want her to love everyone, so I'm not allowing my kids to pick her up all the time, I need to hold her because I'm gentle, the kids are not. She slept with me lastnight too. At one point she walked across my face and sat on my side, I was afraid she was gonna fall off the bed so I grabbed her and pout her on my chest and she fell asleep there. I woke up with my face resting on her back, she squirmed her way in beside me face on my pillow :) Then as I was watching her when I woke up she started playing with my eyelashes (cause I was blinking) so I have a tiny scratch under my eye now. :lol:
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Dangermouse wrote:
Comosicus wrote:Here are images of our kitty (linked because of size):

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
Awww. Thats a very fluffy and adorable kitty. I do fear for your vase in pic1 and pic2.
The vases have been OK till now. But we've moved them away from the tall furniture anyway :mrgreen:

We call her "Special", because she has quite a personality and because she misses about half the tail (we got her that way, so we don't know what happened). And because of a cartoon series we say on the JETIX channel :mrgreen:
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Mrs Kendall wrote:I want my kitty to be approachable, I want her to love everyone, so I'm not allowing my kids to pick her up all the time, I need to hold her because I'm gentle, the kids are not. She slept with me lastnight too. At one point she walked across my face and sat on my side, I was afraid she was gonna fall off the bed so I grabbed her and pout her on my chest and she fell asleep there. I woke up with my face resting on her back, she squirmed her way in beside me face on my pillow :) Then as I was watching her when I woke up she started playing with my eyelashes (cause I was blinking) so I have a tiny scratch under my eye now. :lol:
Our cat sleeps on the pillow with my wife. It looks like she's wearing a fur hat and often has to come on my pillow, because the cat had occupied her.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Since we're on the subject of sharing cats...

Max here is a general scourge to the pigeon population near my parents' house, he even has a special hiding place where he keeps them for later on the off chance he's ever full.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Mrs Kendall wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Looks like my own lil' girl.

[img]snip[/img]

Resemblance is very close methinks.
Uh No, ours is White, Grey and Beige, not White, Black and Orange :P
take clearer pictures then :wink:
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Inlined for ~1mb (ridiculous, no?) Size and Somewhat Off-Topicness
My Cat: Hallie (Don't let the innocent look fool you.)
The Other One: Izzy

Have fun with the Kitten, assuming you can catch it while it isn't running at breakneck speeds around the house like mine.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:Looks like my own lil' girl.

[img]snip[/img]

Resemblance is very close methinks.
Uh No, ours is White, Grey and Beige, not White, Black and Orange :P
Not possible, we have a shitty camera :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

MRDOD wrote: My Cat: Hallie (Don't let the innocent look fool you.)
What innocent look? I've never seen a cat that was so obviously planning something in my entire life.

Innocent looks are what cats do when they're playing Offside, or Being Good.

(For details see The Unadulterated Cat, though get used to Offside, as it's the most common cat game of all, it consists of finding a closed door and consistently being on the wrong side of it)
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Gorgeous kitten. Beautiful calico variant coat (I think there's a name for the grey/beige type calico, but I can't recall it at the moment). I hope she'll become a loving member of your family. :)
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Aww thanks :) I'm sure she will, as long as she doesn't start pissing everywhere, and as long as our existing cat gets along with her.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Ouch, you're introducing an established cat to a kitten? Watch carefully, that never goes well in my experience, unless you have an unusually lazy and/or trusting cat.
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

She's an unussually tolerant cat :) Does that help?

Yeah I know we're keeping them seperate for a while, until they get used to eachother, not allowing them to use the same dishes, litter boxes etc.. hopefully this works.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

MRDOD wrote:Ouch, you're introducing an established cat to a kitten? Watch carefully, that never goes well in my experience, unless you have an unusually lazy and/or trusting cat.
Ours have always coped with new arrivals. There's a bit of fractious behaviour at first, whilst they establish who's boss, but it settles down.
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Vendetta wrote:
MRDOD wrote:Ouch, you're introducing an established cat to a kitten? Watch carefully, that never goes well in my experience, unless you have an unusually lazy and/or trusting cat.
Ours have always coped with new arrivals. There's a bit of fractious behaviour at first, whilst they establish who's boss, but it settles down.
If the one cat is older but not by a great deal, it's much easier. When one's a kitten and the other is the kitty equivalent of nursing-home age, it can be almost impossible to get the older one used to being terrorized by the younger one.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Zaia wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
If the one cat is older but not by a great deal, it's much easier. When one's a kitten and the other is the kitty equivalent of nursing-home age, it can be almost impossible to get the older one used to being terrorized by the younger one.
That sounds about right. When we got our second cat, the first was 18 years old. They never got along well and the old cat would attack the young one any time they were near each other. Thankfuly the old cat was an indoor cat while the young one was an outdoor cat.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Alyeska wrote: That sounds about right. When we got our second cat, the first was 18 years old. They never got along well and the old cat would attack the young one any time they were near each other. Thankfuly the old cat was an indoor cat while the young one was an outdoor cat.
True with us, sort of. We had a small dog that hated our then 8-year old cat, and when we introduced Hallie she learned many behaviors from the dog (she even scratches herself with her back legs like a dog) and consequently also bothers the old one.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

the first is the result of kitten blur...

since kittens don't know that they have to precieve only one reality most of the time, they are not wholly there, thus the "Kitten Blur" when photographed at close range.

Well the second one... You really need to know is that there's a mouse in front of Ms Kendel about two realities to the right, it's really interesting, so wilst the body is staying mostly in this reality, the focus is as always on the mouse in the other reality....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Mrs Kendall wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:
Mrs Kendall wrote: Uh No, ours is White, Grey and Beige, not White, Black and Orange :P
Not possible, we have a shitty camera :P
Take a better camera then :angelic:
Clone Sergeant
Padawan Learner

Post by Clone Sergeant »

Vendetta wrote:snip
It really is a small world. This is my cat Max.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

While they may look similar and have the same name, my Max is an indoor cat so I can't speak for his bird hunting skills. :)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Mrs Kendall wrote:She is very much a fan of that game, I just spent an hour lying on my bed with a paper ball tied to a string while she was chasing it, jumping off the bed jumping on the bed. She's just a ball of energy and she meows really loudly if she's alone in the room. I love her so much already :)
If it ever gets to the point where you're asleep and she still wants to play, just scrunch up half an A4 sheet of paper. They have bundles of fun with it, mainly because it's light enough to react to their cute little kitten punches. And they look really cute when they run with it in their mouths.

As you may tell, I love my kitten and treat her like my firstborn. :D
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Comosicus wrote:
Take a better camera then :angelic:
No money for that :P

Ok so guys our older cat is about 3 years old and this new cat is just a kitten about 7 weeks old . How will this work from your experience?

We found the kitten pooping and peeing in our laundry in the bedroom where she is living until the cats get along, but I kept putting her in the litter box and she seems to be using it now. I think she may have been able to pee and poo anywhere she wanted to where she lived before. I can't think of any other reason she wouldn't use the box here. Unless maybe she thought she was going back 'home' and was gonna be able to use her own box, but I doubt that.

Anyway, we're letting the kitten out slowly for hours at a time to get them used to eachother but it's really hard to keep the kitten from eating the cats food or using the cats litter bin. But we're trying.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

depends on the gender of the kitties

two that's just tiny bladder, and stress/fear (there's a bigger predator near by) the kitten didn't know what was safe yet, and it seemed dark and convienient.

cats are however very adaptable, as long as the little one knows which of them is in charge, and since the cat has been dealing with your two kids antics for quite some time, it will most likely tolerate the small unrelated version of it's species, this isn't the wild where male cats kill baby male cats as potential competition, especially if the bigger cat in question can't reproduce anymore.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Mrs Kendall wrote:Ok so guys our older cat is about 3 years old and this new cat is just a kitten about 7 weeks old . How will this work from your experience?
You should be fine. There will still be a small period of time for the adjustment, but once that's over, they should be absolutely fine. That's not a big age difference at all.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Fortunately we got our cat already "trained" for the litter box. But as it is possible for her to have got pregnant, we might have to train the kittens to do the same thing too.