BSG: "Home" Part 2

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

xerex wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:
Coalition wrote:In the book, I thought the original Cylons were organics as well. Each Cylon has a first brain, that provided basic stuff they needed to get around. Commanders got a second brain, and only the Imperious leader got a third brain.

When the Galactica and people escaped from the trap the Imperious leader made, he nearly ordered his own death. The IL canceled though, as the Cylons would need his leadership and knowledge.
They may have been referring to new, higher level machine brains. In fact, i think that makes more sense than to imagine an alien, semi-organic race replacing their "brains" when they move up in rank.
not replaced ADDED. the Leader has 3 brians, commanders 2, everyone else 1 because you know the more brains who have the smarter you are. :-)
Um, just an FYI for you guys, those original series books are mostly complete and total BS.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

How are they complete and total BS? They merely reflect BSG before the decision was made to make the Cylons completely mechanical.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

What ever happened to Boxy?
:D
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

The writers would have to go out of their way to shove Boxey into the plot right now, which is probably why they've avoided doing so. The actor himself might be busy with other things, too.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

StarshipTitanic wrote:How are they complete and total BS? They merely reflect BSG before the decision was made to make the Cylons completely mechanical.
I mean that they're completely worthless as a source for analytical reference.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:I mean that they're completely worthless as a source for analytical reference.
Why? They offer some clues about the episodes they novelize since many of them are based on scripts that were filmed afterwards.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

No, StarShip... they were based on scripts that had already been filmed. The novels are BSG's equivalent to EU. Even the ones that Richard Hatch wrote aren't canon.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote:No, StarShip... they were based on scripts that had already been filmed.
Is that why the Cylons are still lizards wearing suits in the novels? Obviously the novelization of the pilot had to have been written before the script was completed and filmed.
The novels are BSG's equivalent to EU. Even the ones that Richard Hatch wrote aren't canon.
Point out the word "canon" and I'll retract it. I said clues because they can do just that.

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

LadyTevar wrote:No, StarShip... they were based on scripts that had already been filmed. The novels are BSG's equivalent to EU. Even the ones that Richard Hatch wrote aren't canon.
Nitpick: Star Wars EU is canon. :wink:
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Is this lizard cylon stuff only from the books? Or do they say during the tv show that at some point Cylons were lizards?
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

InnocentBystander wrote:Is this lizard cylon stuff only from the books? Or do they say during the tv show that at some point Cylons were lizards?
Only in the books. It was changed so the massive casualties the Cylons suffer wouldn't result in the deaths of living beings on tv.

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Listening to the podcast now - heard one of them saying "I don't think any of us knows what [Sharon's "And you ask why" line] means."

"How does she know that - I don't know."

That was at about minute 25 of the podcast.

:|
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Just got done watching the first season on DVD (the SKY version), plus the deleted scenes.

There is an intresting scene that was cut, of the second to last episode. It talked about why man fled Kobol. A single god, got jealious of the other 12 and rebelled. Six was there and made some remark. Everything clicked for me .

Going back to the count Iblis theory. It fits very well. The cyclons singular god (The one that rebelled), is on a quest to make a superior race of followers, while destroying the devottees (man) of the other 12 lords.

So my guess is that six is that god (the one in Baltars head), manipullating man kind to her own goals. She is always on a religious rant, insisting that there is one true god, making baltar believe. She is not 100% on the cylons "side" so to speak, they are a tool so to speak. She is like that Palpatine of the Galactica universe.

Anyways just my 2 cents.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Well, if there are 12 colonies and 12 Gods for the colonies, maybe the 13th God has something to do with the 13th tribe/Earth?
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Nice, though on one of his pod-casts Ron Moore stated that he doesn't consider deleted scenes as have 'happened'. There're on the DVD's as a curiosity but have no real storytelling value and can be ignored by writers, etc...
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Whatever happened to the food situation? I don't recall them going much into detail on that. Are they still on reserve food supplies, are they growing all of their food now...?
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

Uraniun235 wrote:Whatever happened to the food situation? I don't recall them going much into detail on that. Are they still on reserve food supplies, are they growing all of their food now...?
I'd imagine that they picked up supplies at Ragnar base. Cloud Nine's gardens could be modified to produce veggies and fruits, and several tens of tons of flour would provide more than enough for bread/noodles. The biggest problem will be protein, since raising animals is likely to be a difficult thing with their limited space and resources. Most of the other ships will likely begin work on hydroponics as well to provide supplies.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei