I bought a new graphics tablet recently

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Old Plympto
Jedi Master

I bought a new graphics tablet recently

Post by Old Plympto »

So I thought I'd draw a stormtrooper and post it here.
Yeah, I know the color splotches and shadows look unnatural. Gimme some more time to practise with it. It's 100% digital, btw. Sketched and colored in the computer.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You know, I'd stab someone in the throat for one of those...

Nice image, by the way. I don't mind the splotches at all, personally.

How much did your's cost?
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

Nice job. You do have talent.

Can you give us more details on the tablet? Like picture, or a link and price :mrgreen:
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Thanks Spanky & Cosmo.

Here's a link to the specs. This here is a picture of the tablet still in the box:
The smear on the plastic is chocolate from my son's fingers. The price as you can see in the picture is 330 ringgit. Which is just under a 100 bucks.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

Sweet. I needs to get me one of these.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yeah, you're right, just checked on Amazon and they're about $100.

Ringgit? What country's currency is that?
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Yeah, you're right, just checked on Amazon and they're about $100.

Ringgit? What country's currency is that?
Malaysia. I'm from the same place kheegan's from.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Do those tablets have things like MS Paint would have? Like straight line tools, fill tools, etc?

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Lord Poe wrote:Do those tablets have things like MS Paint would have? Like straight line tools, fill tools, etc?
It's actually just a hardware that replaces the mouse in function, except that it has the extra feature of pressure as an input variable. If it's plugged in I can use it to open web pages, pull drop down menu, click on buttons, scroll just like any mouse, except that you're holding a stylus on the tablet.

Coming back to your question, Wayne, you can use the tablet with MS Paint, but bundled with the hardware is a program called Painter Classic which is of course several orders of magnitude better than MS Paint.
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Old Plympto wrote:Coming back to your question, Wayne, you can use the tablet with MS Paint, but bundled with the hardware is a program called Painter Classic which is of course several orders of magnitude better than MS Paint.
Ah, thanks! Dalton turned me on to these things some time ago, but I still havent bought one.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

Here's something I just cooked up using the tablet with Photoshop.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

I have the same model of graphic tablet and I am quite fond of it. It is rather sturdy and decently accurate.
Still, a full version of Painter, instead of the Classic one, would have been welcome.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Very nice work!

I remember when I first got a tablet (Intous 2 or however it's spelled) and simply squealed with joy :). They're awesome, aren't they? With practice you can get some super effects, and I see you're already working at in.

Something I might advise though, is stick with your monochromes like Batman for a bit (it really helps as you get the hang of pressure and value on computer), and also, if you're ever thinking of a new programme, Open Canvas 4 is actually a VERY good, very, very cheap one that you can download and activate online. It's what I use for my digital work (granted I haven't done any for a while...)
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia