Favourite Iron Maiden epic?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Dooku's Disciple
Padawan Learner

Favourite Iron Maiden epic?

Post by Dooku's Disciple »

In order of preference:

1. Sign Of The Cross (The X Factor- 1995)

2. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Number Of The Beast- 1982)

3. Fear Of The Dark (same named album- 1992)

4. Phantom Of The Opera (debut album- 1980)

5. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (Powerslave- 1984)

The Irons have plenty of other songs that could be called epics (ie seven minutes plus), but most of those seem like Harry's trying too hard. The title track from Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (1988) narrowly missed out on my top 5 just because of the chorus.

DD
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom..."
Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Hallowed Be Thy Name is my favorite.
Prozac the Robert
Jedi Master

Post by Prozac the Robert »

Out of those, I'd have to say phantom of the opera. It's just that good. They played it at Leeds this year, and it was good.

Sign of the cross is pretty brilliant, but for the stretch wich really could be mechwarrior 2 music. :D
Hi! I'm Prozac the Robert!

EBC: "We can categorically state that we will be releasing giant man-eating badgers into the area."
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I like the cradle of filth cover of hallowed be thy name, but for originals, I quite liked Fear of the Dark, as far as I like Maiden.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Faabio
Padawan Learner

Post by Faabio »

Fear of the dark is of course one of the top ones. i would also like to mention Alexander the great. It is one of my favorites.
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

Prozac the Robert wrote:Out of those, I'd have to say phantom of the opera. It's just that good. They played it at Leeds this year, and it was good
Wow, someone else from Leeds - It was a brilliant weekend :cool:

I'm going to have to say Fear of the Dark at number one, simply due to the explosive power when played live. Then closely followed by The Rime of the Aincient Mariner, because I love the poem.
The rest I wub equally :D
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Tie of Sign of the Cross and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I just could never really decide between the two.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Dooku's Disciple
Padawan Learner

Post by Dooku's Disciple »

You folks who have seen Maiden live don't realise how lucky you are. They haven't been to Australia since the Fear Of The Dark tour in '92 and haven't been anywhere near my home town since 1985, two years before I got into them.

Were the Leeds shows still part of the Early Days tour? Haven't seen that DVD yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

DD
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom..."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Screw the epics...RUN TO THE HILLS!!!! :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

I really like Paschendale, I have a soft spot for anything related to WW 1 and this descibes the carnage and utter chaos so mell.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Pezzoni
Jedi Knight

Post by Pezzoni »

Dooku's Disciple wrote:You folks who have seen Maiden live don't realise how lucky you are. They haven't been to Australia since the Fear Of The Dark tour in '92 and haven't been anywhere near my home town since 1985, two years before I got into them.

Were the Leeds shows still part of the Early Days tour? Haven't seen that DVD yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

DD
Yup, same setlist etc.
Was a fantastic gig - And the DVD is also rather good.
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Although The Number of the Beast is the best Maiden song overall.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better