Generic Mary Sue Litmus Test

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

That second test is way wacky. It's supposed to work on Original Fiction.

So I ran it by the main characters of a book I'm working on.

The events of the book are set in motion by a character who is the first good interdimensional explorer (this sort of activity would tend to lead to book-worthy events, I figure).

The thing is, just by saying 'first interdimensional explorer' you have instantly granted that character roughly 29 points, which makes it a borderline Mary-Sue right there.

(edit: recount, found more things that the first interdimensional traveller would be very likely to be. I didn't even assume that being the FIDT would... ahem... help with mate selection! If we throw that in, it gets far far worse (uncalculated). And if he's a noble who only was able to do all this in the first place because of his enormous unearned wealth, we get 6 more points. And if he discovers parallel dimensions with other copies of himself, there come in 7 more points! I didn't count these because they aren't strictly necessary for the FIDT, and in particular didn't apply to the character I was doing the test on. However, had they been the case for a similar book, I would not consider it ANY more Mary-Sue)
Last edited by drachefly on 2005-09-14 07:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah looked at test it seemed to at least that any intresting fantasy character will end up being a Mary Sue by those tests (especially the second one).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

I'd say a book can afford to have one really unlikely event. If that really unlikely event is the inclusion of a single extraordinarily powerful character who sets everything in motion, so be it. But such a book should avoid any sort of deus ex machina from there on.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Got 3%. Don Wan Tu is deviod of Mary Sueishness.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
GeneralTacticus
Jedi Knight

Post by GeneralTacticus »

Lord Revan wrote:Yeah looked at test it seemed to at least that any intresting fantasy character will end up being a Mary Sue by those tests (especially the second one).
Tyrion Lannister is one of the most interesting fantasy characters I have ever come across, and his score on the second test was 15. You don't need super-special magic powers to be an interesting character.
"The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

"This was evil manifest."

- Terry "Not a fantasy author, honest" Goodkind, bringing unintentional comedy to a bookshop near you since 1994.