Ammo identification request

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Ammo identification request

Post by Dahak »

Hi there, a friend's father found some ammo near Cassino, Italy.
We think it may be some artillery shell, but if anyone has some idea what it would actually be, it would be highly appreciated :D

There's a scale at the tip, with a "safe" setting, but no clue what that would be used for... Any knowledgable persons out there? :)

The shell itself

The tip
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Um, fuck, that looks suspiciously like it might still be live...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The depending on the bomb(HE, Smoke Flam ect) the det might or might not be still live or it might be rotted through. My advice, call you local bomb disposal squad and ask them to check it over.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Mr Bean wrote:The depending on the bomb(HE, Smoke Flam ect) the det might or might not be still live or it might be rotted through. My advice, call you local bomb disposal squad and ask them to check it over.
Well, it's not mine, and safely away several hundred klicks, but I will forward the concern.
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Do you happen to know the diameter? It looks like approximately a 155mm shell, but I'm not positive on that, mind you...

The scale thing looks like a way to make sure the detonator won't go off in transit. It wouldn't be much use in firing, but possibly its being on 'safe' would be the reason it didn't go off on impact-- don't trust it.

And yes. Tell your friends to get the bomb disposal team on that, stat. UXO (Unexploded Ordnance) is BAD shit.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Elheru Aran wrote:Do you happen to know the diameter? It looks like approximately a 155mm shell, but I'm not positive on that, mind you...
It would fit roughly in that size bracket according to descriptions.
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Cassino... hmm... any information on where exactly they found it? I'm thinking it might possibly be left over from the Allied assault upon the German stronghold in St. Bernard's Monastery on Monte Cassino, but I'm not firm on that...
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Elheru Aran wrote:Cassino... hmm... any information on where exactly they found it? I'm thinking it might possibly be left over from the Allied assault upon the German stronghold in St. Bernard's Monastery on Monte Cassino, but I'm not firm on that...
Yes, that's the rough region they found it.
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Okay... well, aside from that I really can't say much. IIRC the bombardment of Cassino was primarily from air, not so much artillery; it may be from a training mission in the area, but in that case they'd have used a specific training round.

In conclusion? All we can do is tell you what it is, not the circumstances thereof, unless we know a bit more... but don't sweat it, I think your question's been answered :)
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

Have you told your friend to contact the authority yet?
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Offhand it might be from a pack 105mm just looking at the size of the base though I'm entirely unfamilair with the Cassino operation beyond playing the map in BF 1942 :D. Anyway just looking at the size I would guess 105mm because they'd eb the easiest to get and use onshore thus the most likely to be used early and often with the correspondingly higher likelyhood of finding matching shells.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

Actually El, I'm pretty sure there was some very heavy artillery bombardment on Monte Cassino during the assault, not just air attacks. *goes to check*
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

Bah, stupid me. It was just heavy air bombardment then. Move along now, no need to see my mistake. :)
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
Sr.mal
Jedi Knight

Post by Sr.mal »

I think the tip is a time delay fuse.
Ever since I was a scumdog, I blew a cum-wad.
I need a mother-fucking suckadickalickalong
A drunk, a pervert, a junkie and a sodimizer.
But you can call me the salaminizer
-The Salaminzer by GWAR
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Shoot it and see what happens!

No, seriously, call someone who can take care of it.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage