Question

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Question

Post by Jack Lain »

Is it true that B&B decided and stated that TOS is not canon?
I read this on the sectioin31 site and really cannot believe it. I know this is a wars site, but you guys seem to know more about ST than many of the ST people.
Is this really true? TOS is not canon???

-Jack "Thanks again" Lain.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I certainly hope not. TOS is the only ST series with healthy levels of technobabble.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Darth Yoshi wrote:I certainly hope not. TOS is the only ST series with healthy levels of technobabble.
God I hope not. Those two should be fired, if they ever have.

On the other hand, such an attitude on their part would explain a lot about Enterprise. :D
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Jack Lain
Padawan Learner

Post by Jack Lain »

OMG!!! I just found this quote on the same site.

"I believe it was Gene Roddenberry who said TOS is not canon because it did not fit his idea and image of Star Trek."

This has to be misrepresentation. Why would GR state this? I think the section31 ppl or someone else is lying. I find it very hard to believe that GR would actually say this. Why would he do this? Someone is lying. Admittedly, I do not want to believe that the adventures of Kirk, Spock and Bones are not real. Crap!!! This is the only Star Trek that I actually like!!! You must be kidding me???

-Jack "WTF? Someone is misquoting!" Lain.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Well, what is "Roddenberry's image of Star Trek"? Still, he's , and the decision isn't up to him.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Jack Lain wrote:OMG!!! I just found this quote on the same site.

"I believe it was Gene Roddenberry who said TOS is not canon because it did not fit his idea and image of Star Trek."

This has to be misrepresentation. Why would GR state this? I think the section31 ppl or someone else is lying. I find it very hard to believe that GR would actually say this. Why would he do this? Someone is lying. Admittedly, I do not want to believe that the adventures of Kirk, Spock and Bones are not real. Crap!!! This is the only Star Trek that I actually like!!! You must be kidding me???

-Jack "WTF? Someone is misquoting!" Lain.
Which of the two-headed moron said this? Berman? I'll bet it was that numbskull. In any case, I cannot accept this as being true, but.... what if it is? Then we'll be left with... Enterprise as the beginnings of the Federation?

Archer says to Picard/Janeway/Sisko/other Federation captains: "Guys, I am your father."

"NOOOOOOOOO!"

So, did Generations take place, or is that non-canon because it had Kirk? Are the ST movies still okay, even before FC, Insurrection, and Generations?

I'm so confused. Oh, dear, oh dear oh dear....
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Fired!!! B&B should be placed into burlap bags and beaten. :D
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Holy crap, what does that mean about TNG? Some of their episodes had cameos by members of the original cast. Did those episodes still happen? What's my last name, people? I don't know what to believe anymore.... :cry:

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

And TNG crewmembers went onboard DS9! Did THAT happen? And then we saw the Maquis fighting in DS9, and they were on Voyager! What if Enterprise is the only officially canon ST series, in spite of its craptaculance? OMFG!

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

TNG members went onboard? 2 of them became main members of the crew - thus DS9 is invalid and Voyager stops off at DS9 so Voyager goes (silver lining?) thus yes Enterprise is all we have.

The enterprise NX-01 Vs the Empire - that should be fun.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Why would he do such a thing, it doesn't make any sense, waaaahhhh :cry:

So, Spock's been dead the whole time? Like in the Sixth Sense? No.

"Imagine if your most important memories, your greatest moments, had never even happened? What kind of hell would that be?"

Why would Enterprise be part of Gene's vision?

Wait a minute! ST:FC showed us the meeting between the Phoenix's staff, Cochrane, and the Romulans. Did *that* happen? WTF! What if NO ST is canon?

Vapthorne
Youngling

Post by Vapthorne »

This seems to be trivial since DS9 and VOY are already invalid.

But remember in one episode, Sisko traveled back in time into the TOS' Tribble episode, and Janeway got mindmelded into Tuvok's memories when he served on the Excelsor in ST:6. So in a more direct sense, TNG, DS9, and VOY are wiped away in canon.

B&B, this is way you must MAINTAIN continuity, show you don't shoot yourselves in the foot.
"Your superior intelligect is no match for our primitive weapons!" -Kaang

"So tiny, you can't tell it's a deus ex machina!" -The Particles of Star Trek
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

What was it that they said? "Don't worry, continuity is airtight. We know, We know."

Well, if there is nothing to contiue, then continuity is safe... in that sort of Assinine method...
Vapthorne
Youngling

Post by Vapthorne »

Good point.
"Your superior intelligect is no match for our primitive weapons!" -Kaang

"So tiny, you can't tell it's a deus ex machina!" -The Particles of Star Trek
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Wait a minute! ST:FC showed us the meeting between the Phoenix's staff, Cochrane, and the Romulans. Did *that* happen? WTF! What if NO ST is canon?
It was the Vulcans...not the Romulans.

Well if no ST is canon, than all ST is canon......does that make sense?
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

Hum...it appears so. All of Star Trek is safely non-canon. :D
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

TOS not canon! That was probably the best ST series.

Does anyone know if B&B practice recycling? They seem to be doing that with the scripts for Enterprise. Take generic ST script, film, and repeat.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

TOS not cannon? How- wierd. Indeed- the mind boggles.

Regarding Gene Rodenberry; it is true that TOS wasn't his definitive vision of the ST universe- TNG was. Hence the popular and oh so true, sometime between TOS and TNG- their balls just dropped off.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Vympel wrote:TOS not cannon? How- wierd. Indeed- the mind boggles.

Regarding Gene Rodenberry; it is true that TOS wasn't his definitive vision of the ST universe- TNG was. Hence the popular and oh so true, sometime between TOS and TNG- their balls just dropped off.
TOS had better be cannon because

1> Kirk is the Star Fleet Captain out there.

2> So much of TNG has to do with things found in TOS, destroying the cannon of TOS is like pulling the bottom card out of a house of cards

3> The Enterprise 1701 (no bloody, A, B, C, or, D) is the best version of the Ship despite the poor special effects!

4> If nothing Star Trek is "cannon" then Treekies won't have anything to argue about!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

If none of ST is canon, that means we won't have to deal with rabid Trekkies anymore. Yay! But wait, what will we do with our time now? :(
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:
It was the Vulcans...not the Romulans.

Well if no ST is canon, than all ST is canon......does that make sense?
Ooops, I did mean the Vulcans. I was typing without thinking. A bad habit. :oops:

Still, though, no ST appears to be canon, as every ST incident appears to tie together.

BTW, there is no CHANCE that Enterprise is what Gene was envisioning when he created ST.

Romulan_nemesis
Youngling

Post by Romulan_nemesis »

They could have said it, but probably disreguarded it. They have an Episode Coming up...

SPOILERS FOR ENTERPRISE BELOW!!!
...for Enterprise, ( Ithink the third or second episode) that feautures the Romulans and they said they didn't interrupt the continuity established by the TOS, that no human had seen a romulan up til "The Enterprise Incident"

Rommie
Hillary Clinton for President:
http://www.votehillary.org/

Bob Casey for U.S. Senate
http://www.bobcaseyforpa.com/
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Actually the first time when Federation saw a Romulan was in "Balance of Terror", the sixth episode of TOS. An idea occured to me how it would be possible to make an Enterprise episode about Romulans without screwing the continuity, and I don't mean it in the same way they introduced the Ferengi without mentioning their name in the ep. Because Romulans and Vulcans are genetically the same, it would be easy for Romulans to inflitrate Earth and other places without problems.

One of the reasons why TNG-era Trek became so 'wussy', is Roddenberry's fault: he wasn't satisfied with the 'militaristic direction' that the movies were going. Too bad, because IMO no Trek has achieved better feel than the TOS movies, excluding TMP and STV.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I think I can hear something.

Yup that;s the sound of the Star Trek franchise going down the toilet,
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Romulan_nemesis wrote:They could have said it, but probably disreguarded it. They have an Episode Coming up...

SPOILERS FOR ENTERPRISE BELOW!!!
...for Enterprise, ( Ithink the third or second episode) that feautures the Romulans and they said they didn't interrupt the continuity established by the TOS, that no human had seen a romulan up til "The Enterprise Incident"

Rommie
B&B are even MORE RETARDED than I ever suspected. They cite to "Enterprise Incident" as the first appearance of the Romulans?!?!?

GODAMNIT they are too stupid to live!! Ugh....Now am I suppose to BELIEVE this quote from the idiots: "The continuity is airtight. Believe me. We know. We know." Yeah, you know DICK!!!
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2