Star Crossed Fanfic

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Arggggh noooo

Post by HSRTG »

I finally spent some time and read pages 3-4 of the cleaned up. I am caught up. And now I have to wait for my next dose of Starcrack...I mean crossed. The words that come to mind and "ARRRRRRRRGH" and "NOOOOOOOOOO". And now you know what happens to a newbie when they find something really cool unfinished and have to wait like everyone else :P.

As to what happens..umm..The Amber effect wipes out all of the paradoxes and restores the universe to normal, then Han Solo is rescued from the DS, then Kirk goes back home, Leia and Co. stay in Trek-Galaxy and make Humans/Borg dominant races. Until some Sith Lords come along and turn the Borg into just so many mind slaves...:roll: :twisted:

Meanwhile the next few chapters disprove this and I look idiotic. Yay.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Quick question about Pike. Didn't the Talosians create the illusion that Pike and the woman's (forgot her name) bodies were restored? So why is Pike still in his floating wheelchair thing? Unless the illusion can only be maintained on Talos.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Re: Arggggh noooo

Post by Comosicus »

HSRTG wrote:I finally spent some time and read pages 3-4 of the cleaned up. I am caught up. And now I have to wait for my next dose of Starcrack...I mean crossed. The words that come to mind and "ARRRRRRRRGH" and "NOOOOOOOOOO". And now you know what happens to a newbie when they find something really cool unfinished and have to wait like everyone else :P.
Patience, my young Padawan :mrgreen: Imagine how it is for the people that have been around from the beginning and had to wait for each chapter.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

Patience is easy for you to say, you have an actual function. All I do is use my body as ablative armour for main characters. And get forgetten on the d**n planet (Ref the 50s era world one where the kids are nigh-immortal). And I'm fairly sure I'm about 50,000 levels below a Padawan. Please do not insult them.

I can't imagine waiting since the start :roll:, must be something to do with my newbishness.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
hvb
Padawan Learner

Post by hvb »

NecronLord wrote: McCoy is right (As usual). The Federation have nothing remotely resembling a right to do that. A 0.11% chance of killing several quintillion people, including the ones they're trying to liberate, to save a few hundred billion from the compartively minor opression of the Empire is not something they should be doing. It's like saying "I'm prepared to press this button, knowing that there's an 0.11% chance it'll nuke my city, based on the 99.89% chance it'll lower my rent."

What's worse, to win the war, not just the battle, they'd have to use this device multiple times, each time running the same appalling risk. The United Federation of Planets simply is not worth it in my opinion, and I'm rather troubled that Kirk/Stravo (either-or) thinks it is.
A little quib here: my guess would be that the .11% chance represents the likelyhood, not that a given use of the weapon will cause a chain reaction, but that all uses of the weapon will.

That is: if the 99.89% branch of the theoretical computer model is accurate the device is "safe" to use every time; but if the .11% branch of the model turns out to reflect nature, then every time it is used, a galactic cluster dies (and thus it will only ever be used once ... per cluster :twisted: ).
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Suprise. When things are insane at work sometimes I need to write out my frustrations and stress and you are allthe benficiaries of that need. I've been away alot lately and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future but do enjoy the latest installment of the fanfic that keeps on giving.

Chapter 88: On the Precipice

“And so this is the end is it?” Piett noted gravely as his tactical report played out on a floating holographic bubble over the conference room table.

Thrawn sat quietly, hands clasped together elbows resting on the edge of the table. His crimson eyes narrowed as the flickering lights indicating Federation vessels moving into position around the pale blue orb that represented Andor.

“The trap is sprung, now we close it once and for all.” Jerjerrod nodded sagely.

Thrawn’s eyes did not leave the planet of Andor or the massive Federation fleet that was gathering there, far larger than any other fleet Imperial forces had engaged before. This would be a historic battle - The culmination of their campaign here in this new galaxy.

Vader stood behind Thrawn, arms crossed stoically.

“Don’t be so proud of this trap you have baited. There are currents and eddies of the Force swirling around that world that indicate the outcome is far from decided. There are too many variables and this is a shatter point in fate. There is more that will be decided in this battle than a simple military victory. Empires will rise and fall there. Heroes will die and the cowardly will live. Courage will falter and fear will rise. This is more than just a battle. None of you seem to grasp this.”

“I’m not certain how one would plan for currents and eddies in the Force Lord Vader.” Kahn added casually with a pointed half smile.

Vader’s inclined his head slowly and raised a gloved fist, one crooked finger curled towards the Terran Superman.

“I can teach you Kahn Singh if you would like.” Vader rumbled.

“He’s planning something.” Thrawn finally interjected as if he had not noticed any of the interactions around him.

“Sir?” Jerjerrod asked cautiously.

“Kirk.” Thrawn replied as if in a reverie, eyes following a dance of fireflies gathering around the Northern pole of the planet. Brilliant pinpricks sparkled around the world like a halo, the massive mine field erected by the Andorians to protect their system, originally from the Federation once they declared their independence and now from the Empire.

“We have no intelligence that Kirk has returned.” Piett sniffed.

“I saw it with my own eyes, Admiral. Kirk was there at Nemesis’ rescue and he was returning to Federation lines. There can be no doubt that he will reassume command of his forces.” Vader replied.

“Yes, curious business that.” Thrawn interjected softly, his eyes sliding over to the giant standing behind him. “We never discussed the implications of your shall we say unsanctioned mission to respond to Lord Nemesis’ beacon.”

“There is nothing to discuss, Grand Admiral.” Vader replied an edge to his voice.

“The Devastator, the vessel that would be leading this assault and occupying a key position throughout this offensive is at 75% combat efficiency, several of her heavy gun emplacements damaged beyond repair and two full squadrons of fighters lost with another three squadrons at 80% readiness status due to casualties and equipment failure and you think there is nothing to discuss?” Thrawn asked coldly.

“The Devastator will do her duty, Grand Admiral. I could ask why a Sith lord’s emergency beacon was not responded to despite the act being in violation of your Second Primary Directive from the Emperor himself that all line officers must swear to.”

“Lord Nemesis wouldn’t exactly fall into the category of ‘Faithful Servant of the August Emperor Palpatine’ as I believe the exact wording within the Articles of Directives defining a Sith Lord. Wouldn’t you say Lord Vader?”

Vader looked down at the insignificant gnat. How his manner reminded him of the Jedi Masters. So sure of themselves, so arrogant in their smug righteousness. As he had dealt with them he would deal with this one. But for now he must bide his time. Vader could feel it sometimes, at the very edge of his consciousness like some half remembered dream.

The Emperor was out there. Lurking in the darkness between worlds and no one else in this room knew it.

Vader had worked with the Emperor long enough to realize that the man had plans within plans. The fact that he was in this galaxy, hiding his presence from him his most faithful servant and friend as well as every other sycophant in this galaxy spoke volumes.

The Emperor was moving on his own and that frightened Vader.

There may not be enough time left to bring Nemesis back to his side. Without Nemesis power Vader could not overcome his Master. There was no doubt of it. Just as Vader had grown powerful over the years so had the Emperor. The wizened figure sat on his throne on Coruscant and consulted with Sith holocrons, ancient manuals and Jedi Archives his power grew like a cancer.

Meanwhile Vader’s strength was wasted on efforts to curb the Emperor’s enemies. He should be preparing for the final destruction and usurpation of his master’s power. Visions of Luke standing by his side as he took the throne of two galaxies danced before his eyes. The combined might of the Empire and this galaxy’s forces would be his to command with but a word. Tributes would be laid at his feet as Humans, Twileks, Vulcans, Rodians, Andorians, Romulans would file past rendering him honors and glory. They would thank him for bringing peace and order to two galaxies. Justice would finally be achieved, not the pale malformed justice of Palpatine and his twisted ideals. It would be Darth Vader bringer of peace and prosperity.

His enemies were driven before him, Xixor of Black Sun flogged by his personal guard at their own whims as the once proud crime lord was completely subjugated. Thrawn brought up the rear of the rather long and undulating procession of Vader’s enemies and this one drew his special attentions as he slowly squeezed the life out of the blue skinned alien watching the crimson eyes bulge wildly as his internal organs were slowly and methodically squeezed into a paste of whatever color blood coursed through the former Grand Admiral. Thrawn gave one last half strangled wet gasp before his body folded into a tight ball of meat and bone and fell to the floor before Vader in a satisfying wet slap of finality.

And throughout it all his son stood by his side. His most beloved ready to do his father’s bidding and in the end they would dance as well as all Sith must dance and his son would be greater than he. But for now the two galaxies would be Darth Vader’s and none would stand before him and his progeny.

In his ecstatic vision he saw a sad faced woman barely perceptible in the crowd. He looked from his throne, black lenses focusing on the figure that was marring his reverie. His eyes narrowed and there she was as beautiful as she had ever been when he held her by the lakes of Naboo.

“Anakin, you’re breaking my heart.” She sobbed softly.

Darth Vader, ruler of two galaxies, bringer of justice, and peace and order tyrant of the dark side gasped in pain as her words cut him to the quick as they did back on Mustafar. The pain was quickly hidden by anger as it was on Mustafar and Vader clenched his fist to crush the vision out of his head to bury it under decades of fury and smoldering resentment.

Ever since his confrontation with Luke….Nemesis…his name is Nemesis – he had been having visions of the one he had forgotten, the one he had pushed down into the cavernous depths of his will returned like some loathsome ghost. It clung to the edges of his reason like gossamer wings.

He would need to meditate on this but that would mean probing those memories and all he ever wanted to remember of Mustafar was the pain of betrayal from both his love and his best friend whom he looked on like a father – a pain far worse than the ravenous fire that devoured his flesh and left him a mockery of the man he once was. Now he served another dark father who whispered to him that all betrayals must be avenged, all deceptions must be ferreted out and yes Vader, you are special, you are powerful you are the jewel of the Sith.

He did not want to push further. He did not want to know why she was returning to his memory and his visions since Luke - NEMESIS – had turned back to the mewling light. She seemed to be trying to tell him something but her words always came back from Mustafar but the apparition seemed frustrated. Those were not the words she wanted to say.

He strained now to hear her. The vision returning but the throne room was empty, the roars of the multitudes were silent and there was only she and he as it should always have been. He raised a black gauntlet clad hand to her and she raised her tear streaked face to him. She began to speak and he strained with all his might to listen.

She opened her mouth to speak and there was a dull white noise roar. Vader urged her to speak again and bent his mighty will to listen, focusing his anger and passions into his senses as he sharpened them to superhuman levels so that he could hear leaves fall on the other side of Coruscant.

Padme reached out to him – imploring and shouting her words now and the voice was not her sweet dulcet tones but that of Grand Admiral Thrawn’s and her eyes suddenly flashed crimson and the throne room vanished as dreams are wont to do under the harsh light of reality.

“Wouldn’t you say Lord Vader?”

Vader’s head snapped down to Thrawn who had finished speaking and was looking intently at the dark lord.

Vader had no idea what the man said. But the Force effortlessly interpreted the body language and surface impressions of the blue skinned alien.

“Let us dispense with these implications and innuendoes and address the matter at hand. Are we or are we not going to attack?”

“You didn’t answer the question.” Thrawn pressed.

“Grand Admiral Thrawn, we can stand here debating the will and intent of all our actions until the end of time or we can put an end to this destructive conflict and bring order to this savage galaxy. As Commander of this expeditionary force I leave this up to you, after all I am just an observer for the Emperor and his interests. Of course if you choose not to initiate action against the Federation fleet I will observe this as well and make sure that the Emperor is fully apprised of this situation.”

Thrawn’s eyes did not leave the black clad cybernetic giant.

“I do not doubt that you would be an impartial observer of these matters, Lord Vader.” Kahn added as he drank from a glass.

Thrawn’s eyes flickered over to Kahn and for a brief moment annoyance seemed to flit across his features.

“Try to remember you are here at my pleasure, Kahn. You may find yourself back in that cell your so called supermen are sharing if you try my patience.”

Kahn’s eyes flashed dangerously. This was a man not accustomed to being threatened or challenged. But he quickly masked it under the mask of cool arrogance that he constantly wore in these meetings.

“Of course, Grand Admiral. I meant no disrespect but I must say that I find this debating to be frustrating and ultimately fruitless. You want to crush Kirk? Then follow my plan. Threaten Earth, demand his surrender and he will. The man is a warrior but lacks a warrior’s will. He is a product of his century as much as I am a product of mine. They are weak, these enlightened humans of the Federation. Somewhere in the span of two centuries humanity lost its fire, its drive. The Will to Power has been wasted away and spent like water on the sands.” Kahn rose from his seat immediately prompting the two stormtroopers that were his constant shadows to snap to attention and bring their weapons up at the ready.

“Kirk is and always has been the key to this war. When he vanished into Orion space attacks on our forces dropped off dramatically, limited to raids along exposed supply routes and useless attacks on meaningless outposts. Now look at what we face hours after our return.” Kahn’s hand swept back to the holoimage of Andor and the thousands of sparkling dots of the Federation remnant fleet.

“Kirk is a focal point in this war. Eliminate him and you eliminate the Federation remnant as a threat. Frankly this attack on Andor is ill-advised and an unnecessary waste of resources and effort.”

The rest of Thrawn’s command staff looked uneasily from Kahn to Thrawn. Piett was barely restraining his contempt for the man.

“I am curious, Kahn.” Thrawn began as he very calmly and mechanically took a drink and watched the superman with a hooded expression.

“Yes, Grand Admiral?”

“What would you suggest we do with Andor?”

“A siege. Plain and simple. Starve the world into submission. With only a tenth of the forces you have assembled here I could bring this world to its knees.”

“Are you aware of how difficult it is to starve a world, particular worlds with replicators, into submission Kahn? This is not your world’s 20th century.” Thrawn noted as he calmly placed his glass back down on the table.

“I would bombard the planet with mass drivers, keep this fleet out of range and fling some large asteroids into the planet, at the same time we would be clearing holes through the minefield for an eventual assault that would take the wounded world with insignificant casualties. The Andorian will would wither as they watched countless so called innocents fall to our rain of stone.”

“Did you realize that Andor has never been conquered, never even been threatened to be conquered? Do you know that Andorian history is rife with examples of Andorians fighting to the last man instead of becoming prisoners or giving up Andorian soil to an enemy?” Thrawn interjected pointedly. “Did you know that there is a top secret Starfleet Command report we recovered from their archives that indicates Andorian Captains are 57% more likely than any other Federation member race to initiate self destructs of their vessels in both simulations and real life combat rather than surrender?” Thrawn touched a control by his console and a small hologram sprang up next to the much larger hologram of the planet Andor and the massing Federation fleet. The hologram was a slowly scrolling series of images of various works of art.

“Andorian artwork, in particular the most revered classics displays a disturbing self destructive tendency.”

“And this means what precisely, Grand Admiral? That the Andorians are self destructive because their art says so?” Kahn replied with some incredulity. He was aware the alien had his peculiarities but this was most strange indeed. Yet there was no denying the Grand Admiral’s results.

“You’re not listening to me. The art work is a reflection of a society’s culture, a society’s mindset. Art is like taking a snap shot of all a culture’s fears, hopes, aspirations and dreams. Art is a misty mirror that can show you what the artists himself does not realize he is showing you. This art tells me something most disturbing about this race.” Thrawn frowned slightly. “They would rather destroy themselves than submit. Your grand strategy of starving them would only encourage precisely what I do not want. The Andorians destroying the very infrastructure we need. The entire purpose of this campaign is to seize a base of operations for ourselves as Lord nemesis did with Romulus.”

“You will forgive me Grand Admiral is I do not share your enthusiasm for this…unique method of yours for divining an enemy’s intent. To me your method is more akin to searching through animal entrails for augury. No plan survives contact with the enemy of that I can assure you. My plan however is most sound and plays to the very principles of the Federation and its weak resolve and love of their citizens. If I were commanding the siege it would be successful, self destructive tendencies or not because I would will this victory.”

“I notice you keep using yourself as the commander in this scenario of yours.” Thrawn said icily.

Kahn smiled indulgently and shrugged softly.

“I am a military commander, many consider me a genius of my era. You could do worse than placing me in command of a small flotilla that could free your attentions from Andor. I would take this world for you as you hunt Nemesis and his renegade fleet.”

“You?!” Piett spat in stunned disbelief finally losing his composure.

Thrawn held up a hand and Piett calmed his sputtering tirade against this arrogant little man with delusions of grandeur.

“Are you serious?”

“Indeed I am.”

“Then let us be grateful that I am not in desperate straits Kahn because I will never allow you anywhere near a command of any ship, vessel, fighter, freighter or shuttle of my fleet. You will never have authority on this fleet. You are a glorified prisoner nothing more. Never forget your place.”

“My place?” Kahn hissed.

“Have a care.” Vader suddenly interjected.

Kahn’s eyes went from Thrawn to Vader and back to Thrawn.

“In my world, Grand Admiral, we did not let our bodyguards speak for us.”

“We are not in your world you foolish man, how many times must I remind you of this?” Thrawn replied evenly and nodded to Vader. The dark lord raised his hand and his fingers sternly closed together.

Kahn felt his throat instantly constrict as if a vise had been clamped down on it. Kahn gasped and his legs buckled.

“We may be at odds in some things Kahn and your clumsy childlike attempts at driving wedges between us have been duly noted but in this we are united. This is the Empire.” Thrawn rose from his seat and quietly strode over to Kahn who was holding onto the edge of the table with both arms refusing to grasp at his neck in a futile attempt to stop the attack. Instead he refused to fall.

Thrawn approached him, hands clasped firmly behind his back as he inspected the gasping genetically engineered human.

“Nothing. No man, no alien, no force in the universe can stand against us. We are power incarnate Kahn.” Thrawn spoke as if he were lecturing a particularly slow witted student. Thrawn watched the man gasping, eyes beginning to bulge as his perfectly sculpted muscular arms were taut with effort to hold himself up. “I suffer your presence Kahn because in some as yet unknown way I think you have a role to play in this little drama unfolding around us. You are a tool, Kahn Noonian Singh, nothing more nothing less. I will use you like a tool must be used.”

Kahn began to lose his footing and his hands were holding onto the edge of the table, knuckles and fingers white with effort as every tendon and sinew began to swell against his bronzed flesh.

Thrawn leaned in closer to Kahn, crimson eyes boring into the human with laser like intensity.

“Do we have an understanding now? Do you see now that your time as prince over your world, warlord and military genius are over?”

Khan tried to get a word out through his completely closed throat now, only spittle and a strangled gasp were the best he could muster as he finally lost his grip and collapsed down to his knees. Thrawn bent down at the waist and reached out grasping the chin of the thrashing superman and jerking his face up to look into the Grand Admiral’s stony gaze.

“Do we have an understanding?”

Kahn glared defiantly at the Grand Admiral but his vision was tunneling and his body despite the enhancements had its limits and they were rapidly approaching. A lesser man would have been dead by now. Kahn was not a lesser man. But he was dying.

“Lord Vader…if he does not answer me again. Kill him. Painfully.” Thrawn ordered never letting his eyes leave Kahn’s.

“As you wish.” Vader replied coldly.

Kahn felt phantom fingers closing around his heart and a fire began in his brain. There was no doubt what the Sith lord was about to do.

And there was also no doubt as he watched his tormenter’s face slowly fading from sight that Thrawn had played right into his hands.

“Do we have an understanding, Kahn?” Thrawn demanded one last time.

Kahn took one moment to assuage his wounded pride before answering. This was all for a cause. Every leader must make sacrifices for the ultimate victory and this was Kahn’s.

Kahn nodded,

“Say it.” Thrawn snapped.

Kahn tried to but his throat was completely closed and numb now.

Thrawn nodded to Vader who relaxed the pressure along his forefinger and thumb. Kahn felt his throat open slightly, sweet air flooded down into his lungs and his throat burned like fire. Kahn gagged and almost heaved his lunch down onto the plate decks but Thrawn would not release his grip on Kahn’s chin.

“Say it now or we end this charade.”

“I…agree…Grand Admiral.” Kahn managed between his frantic gasps for air.

Thrawn eyed him for a long moment and then nodded curtly, releasing his grip on Kahn’s chin with a perfunctory snap of his wrist and resumed his standing position over the superman.

“Then we have an understanding. I do not instruct my prisoners a second time, Kahn. Let that be your sole warning.” Thrawn nodded to the flanking stormtroopers. “Take him back to his cell where he can contemplate his newfound place in the universe. He is to have no visitors is that understood?”

“Yes sir.” The troopers replied in unison and without hesitation. They roughly picked up Kahn by each shoulder and dragged/walked him out of the room. Thrawn turned his attention back to the rest of the gathered officers.

“We are going to Andor. Even though we meant for Andor to be our trap where we would finish the Federation remnant off once and for all I suspect that Kirk is also setting his own trap at Andor. Whatever that man has planned we must be ready for it.” Thrawn stated grimly as he walked back to his seat.

“My battle plans are on these data pads.” Jerjerrod was already distributing the pads to the assembled captains. “Commit them to memory for they will self erase in one hour.” Thrawn noted pointedly. “I want all navigational computers on all ships of the fleet to be slaved to the Devastator’s navcomp. Lord Vader will be guiding our ships in via hyperspace.”

“Using the Force I will guide us through the minefield and bring us to within two planetary diameters of Andor.” Vader explained calmly.

Some of the Captains began to mutter to themselves. General Imperial tactics called for large fleet engagements to be carried out at least 10 planetary diameters from any celestial body. Two planetary diameters would trap much of the fleet in the gravity well of the planet. There were some scholars and even veterans of the Battle of Coruscant among the fleet commanders and they knew the wanton slaughter that took place when two massive fleets were trapped in the gravity well of a planet bereft of maneuvering room for combat. Point blank range battles between capital ships were extremely messy and costly affairs. The majority of the commanders were fresh from the Battle of Endor and knew first hand what it was like to have to slug it out with the big ships when your maneuvering room was curtailed by a planet.

This battle would be costly just on that front alone.

“I am well aware of what the limitations are by engaging the defensive fleet that close to their homeworld but there are several factors to consider. One, the minefield is built out almost directly around the planet. Any farther out and we risk having Kirk or another intrepid commander decide to drive us into the minefield or swarm detonate their mines in our rear echelons. This would in my opinion be more harmful than having our fleet hemmed in by the gravity well of Andor. Secondly, we will be in position to directly invade Andor and secure the planet’s key infrastructure sites before any planned sabotage can take place and thirdly and most importantly we will be in a position that they will not expect and we will maximize the shock of our attack to the utmost. We will drive this Federation to its knees. There is only one order above all of these that I expect my commanders to follow.” Thrawn looked meaningfully at each of his commanders. “The Enterprise is not to be destroyed. I want her captured and her Captain in chains. Any commander that destroys the Enterprise or kills Kirk will answer to me. Personally.”

Some of the commanders shifted nervously.

“I will NOT have a martyr made of this man. The Federation and Starfleet in particular are obsessed with symbols. A dead captain dying in a blaze of glory will not do if we are to truly crush this rebellion. A prisoner of war in chains will break their will as surely as his death will inspire them. Otherwise your orders are quite simple. Kill everything that you see. Take no prisoners. These insignificants are all that stand between us and our rightful place in this galaxy.”

Thrawn paused for a moment his eyes tracking each of his commanders and his face a composed mask of serene yet stern calm.

“I know that many of you are wondering and I will relay my own suspicions. We will most likely face Imperium forces in this battle. Lord Nemesis will not give up this opportunity to strike at us in this crucial battle. I want you all prepared for the inevitable and be ready to destroy ships that you may have fought alongside back home. We are battling for the future of our Empire. If we are defeated here then we have failed our Emperor and our Empire. We are power, we are strength and there can be no treason that we can brook, no deception we can ignore. They must all be exterminated before the disease of treason they carry can have a chance to take root here. This is a new world. Let us make sure that when the dawn comes here on the morrow that it sheds its light on the New Order.”

Some of the commanders nodded emphatically, others shouted their support of Thrawn’s position. They were all earnest and ready. Thrawn could feel them eager to return to their ships.

“Now do your duty for Emperor and Empire. The droid Armies of the Separatists could not stop us, the Sorcerous powers of the Jedi were no match for our iron will. Let us show Kirk and his puny band of rebels and Lord Nemesis and his traitorous nest of vipers that they cannot stand against us. We are the Empire today and they will know our wrath. In thunder and lightning we will come like the ancient gods of the tempest and they will die.”

The shouts were now exclamations of support and rage against their old friends and allies. There would be no quarter given.

“Dismissed.”

His commanders quickly filed out of the room and rushed to their shuttles. Many quickly scanning the data pads before their contents were erased.

Thrawn stood quietly for a moment, regarding Andor again with a wary eye. If Jerjerrod could not imagine it he would say the Grand Admiral was actually concerned.

“Sir. Your orders of battle have been drawn up as you requested and the Bridge awaits your final inspection.” Jerjerrod cleared his throat as he spoke.

“You were quiet today.” Thrawn noted but all his attention seemed drawn to the planet.

“I had nothing to say, Grand Admiral. Kahn was dealt with as he should have been and we are going to attack Andor as we must.”

“I read your medical report.”

Jerjerrod said nothing. The silence was palpable.

“Did I meet your approval, sir?” Jerjerrod eyed Lord Vader nervously as he stood silent save for the rhythmic breathing of his life support system. Vader had not moved at all. Thrawn said nothing. “If I may?”

Thrawn brought one eye on Jerjerrod and nodded very slightly.

“I realize that my actions of late have not been up to par. I have no excuse other than this. I was a moff of a backwater world, brought to the Deathstar project as a yes man for the Emperor and I have never truly had my abilities challenged. I did not react well to your commands and I have no excuse. I only have my word as an officer to do better by you, Grand Admiral. I am ashamed that it has come to this.” Throughout Jerjerrod’s speech he could hear the echo of Kahn’s voice in the back of his head reciting to him these words including the inflections and pauses he should make. A part of Jerjerrod screamed futilely from his subconscious.

Thrawn eyed the young officer with a hooded expression.

“In hours we will be in mortal combat with not only the Federation but also the Imperium. Are you going to be the officer I need you to be?”

Jerjerrod snapped a sharp salute.

“I am yours to command sir.”

Thrawn nodded.

“Indeed.” He let it hang for a moment before continuing. “See to it that you get one hour’s rack time, Jerjerrod. We will be in battle and you look as if you have already been in one.”

“Of course, Grand Admiral.” Jerjerrod replied and stepped away and walked out of the room. Thrawn looked back to Andor. What was the man planning? He could feel it as surely as he felt the blood coursing through his veins. As more ships arrived and took up position he could see patterns, intricate interweaving swirling patterns and they all pointed to the inevitable.

“Andor is a trap for us as well.” He mused.

“There is nothing they can do that can harm this fleet. They have learned that the hard way.” Vader offered.

“And the Imperium fleet?”

“If and when the Imperium fleet arrives we shall deal with them as well.”

Thrawn turned his attention from the planet to the Sith lord.

“Are you so sure? That is your son on the other side.”

Vader brought his arms up across his chest and let out a cold laugh. It was disconcerting. Thrawn had never heard this monstrosity laugh before.

“You underestimate me, Grand Admiral and I think you will find that my son will underestimate me as well.”

“He will seek you out then?” Thrawn asked with an arched eyebrow.

“He means to save me from the Dark Side Grand Admiral.”

“And can he?”

“No Grand Admiral. He underestimates the Power of the Dark Side. He was weak and so he must be culled.”

“You can kill your own son?” Thrawn pressed.

“Grand Admiral, I slaughtered my best friends and allies in the Jedi Purge. I brought order to a galaxy wrought by terror and chaos. I will never let anyone bring us to that state again, even if he is my son. In the end we are all slaves to fate and if Nemesis will not join me then he will meet his destiny. Blood has nothing to do with matters of power and the Force.”

Thrawn nodded but said nothing for a moment.

“Did you do as I asked?”

“He is tainted.” Vader answered simply.

Thrawn shook his head and sighed like a disappointed father.

“I should have killed him.” Vader added darkly.

“No, he will serve his purpose.”

“It has been my experience that you cut the offending appendage before it can turn on you.”

“Is that the Sith way?” Thrawn asked casually and eyed the dark lord meaningfully.

“If it was, Grand Admiral, we would not be here having this conversation and there would be no Empire. But we do not tempt fate from others. Kill Jerjerrod quickly for I feel something dark and malignant coiling within him and it oddly enough had the echo of Kahn within it.”

“Is Kahn a Force user?” Thrawn wondered.

Vader shook his head empathically.

“Kahn is mad and a tyrant in waiting but the Force does not touch him.”

“I will keep your advice in mind Lord Vader but my people have an old saying – The assassin should be closer to you than your flesh and blood.”

“I have never put much stock in that way of thinking.”

“Ah, but in your case, lord Vader, the assassin IS your flesh and blood.” Thrawn replied quietly.

Both men regarded each other in the uneasy silence before the plunge.

Captain Ochoa wondered how long it would take before the hurried sounds of crewmen preparing for battle would be replaced by the actual sounds of battle. As a starship captain he was well aware of what a ship sounded like when it was going into battle.

He had no illusions as to whom they were going into battle against.

He was alone in this rather spacious cell. He had been alone since the Noghri left him here. Food was delivered on a very strict schedule and in silence.

He did not care. He had suffered far worse. Besides he knew there was a reason why he was here.

There were footsteps that approached the door. He smiled softly to himself.

“Speak of the devil.”

The door snapped open with a harsh pneumatic hiss like the jaws of a beats opening and several figures immediately entered the room. He recognized the near silent footfalls of the Noghri but there was a distinctly human set of footfalls.

“Get off me!”

“Stay here human.”

“Until Lord Vader has need of you.”

“Vader?! Well he can kiss my Corellian a---” The human’s loud boisterous voice was suddenly interrupted by a sharp intake of breath which Ochoa interpreted as one of the Noghri pain sticks jabbing the human in the midsection.

He heard the human fall to his knees and groan in pain.

“You bastards! If I could see –” Another sharp intake of breath and a yelp of pain followed. Ochoa’s ears perked up at the human’s comment. Blind eh? He was beginning to see where this road would take him.

“It will be silent.”

“Or it will take the pain stick again.”

“We have little patience for you. Blind or not.”

“You will not speak of Lord Vader in such a way again.” The last voice was the most threatening and the one that had not spoken until now. Ochoa recognized the voice as the leader of the Noghri that had taken him prisoner on the Emperor’s Will.

The young human grunted something but remained silent this time.

“I think I can take it from here, my friends.” Ochoa offered gently. The Noghri eyed the tall starship captain with hooded expressions. He was an odd one. Never seemed to get flustered and never used his crippling handicap as a crutch. His serenity unnerved the warriors but drew them like moths to a flame as well. There was something about this young Captain that demanded you listen.

“At least your sight will return human. His sight will not.”

“He does not mule like a Bantha calf.”

“The hibernation sickness will pass in time.”

“And then perhaps Lord Vader will see you.”

“Until then, you remain here under the Ochoa’s care.”

“The Ochoa huh?” He could hear the confused smirk in the young human’s voice and then suddenly the human began to complain “Hold it! OK! Ok I get it. You don’t want me making fun of him either.”

Ochoa said nothing; the Noghri had obviously threatened him with the pain stick again.

“Do you require anything Ochoa?”

Ochoa seemed pensive for a moment. He looked down at the general direction where he thought the newcomer might be.

“Do you need anything?” He asked the stranger.

The young human seemed wary.

“I could use a way out of here.” Bzztzttt. “Oww!!!”

“Try to be serious and this will all be over soon.” Ochoa cautioned.

“Fine, I’m starving.” He replied in angry resignation.

“Some food for he and I would be nice.”

“They are not feeding you?” one of the Noghri asked suspiciously, anger at the edges of his voice.

“No. No, my friends. They certainly are but I never liked eating alone and I certainly wouldn’t want our friend here to feel uncomfortable while he ate.”

The Noghri exchanged confused glances.

“The Ochoa is strange.”

“The Ochoa is odd.”

“But we will comply.” The leader confirmed.

“Many thanks.” Ochoa replied with a warm smile. The Noghri glared one last time at the bedraggled human in blue pants and a still wet white tunic shirt before quickly exiting the cell. The door slammed shut behind them with the finality of death.

“Here, let me help you.” Ochoa offered.

“Why would you want to help me?” The human replied bitterly. Ochoa heard him trying to get to his feet and slipping back to the ground. The human let out a string of curses in various languages.

“Because you’re someone in need.” Ochoa replied evenly and took a firm hold of the human’s forearm and hauled him up to his feet.

“Those little womp rats actually respect you.”

“Because I respect them. It’s karma you know. You show respect you’re bound to get respect back.”

“Karma, huh? What is that? Like the Force?”

Ochoa paused.

“You’ll forgive me for asking you this but you’re not from around here. Are you?”

The young human snorted.

“I was about to say the same thing. Your accent’s a little weird, sounds like you’re from the Core Worlds, maybe around Coruscant but that’s not quite right.”

“Oh, you’re a wee bit off.” Ochoa chuckled.

“Let me guess, a secret Imperial base near the Core. Vader’s not done messing with me. Guess Fett got screwed out of his bounty – the bastard. I just hope Luke got away in time.” The human mused softly.

“Luke?” Ochoa asked, emotion thickening his voice.

“Luke Skywalker. The kid gets into more trouble than he’s worth except this time I’m not around to bail him out.” The young human slapped the air in frustration. “I’m damned helpless like this.”

“Luke Skywalker…and who might you be?”

“Han. Han Solo.”

Ochoa stood stock still for a moment and then suddenly began to laugh. His laughter exploded like a rocket around him as tears came to his sightless eyes.

“What the hell is so funny, buddy?” Han asked angrily.

“Forgive me Han…it’s just that…it’s just that it’s so damned funny sometimes.”

“What is so funny? Got a screw loose there pal?”

Ochoa gasped for breath and clapped the young man on the shoulder.

“Life. Life is so funny Han. It’s funny how it can come full circle.”

“They’re right about you…you are weird.” Han sighed.

“I’m back!” Charlie Evans announced as he impatiently passed through the airlock in a flurry of motion. He could feel it. There was a passage of mighty ships through the space he had passed. He couldn’t have come too late. He promised himself he would stand with Jim again when the time came.

“Captain! It’s Charlie.” Charlie shouted as he passed through airlock control into a main corridor. It was deserted.

“Hello?” Charlie called out again and peered down each end of the corridor. That was odd, even when the fleet sortied there was always a bustle of support staff and security in these halls. The place felt cold and empty.

“If I’m late Q, I’m going to—” Charlie stopped short.

There was a leg protruding out from a doorway at the far end of the corridor. Charlie cautiously glanced around again and then walked towards the leg. Apprehension gripped his belly and his senses were suddenly very much alive. He could feel the pulse of the matter antimatter generator at the heart of the station. He could feel the passage of air through the various recyclers around him. He could smell the sharp tang of his own sweat. He could also feel a pervasive chill of death. The screams still echoed along the halls.

He approached cautiously and saw that the leg was just a leg. Neatly severed from the rest of the body it lay still like a slab of meat in the doorway. The automatic doors remained open detecting the obstruction.

“What the hell?” Charlie quickly knelt down to inspect the appendage. It had been cut by what looked like fire. The wound was cauterized and neatly cut through the flesh with surgical precision. And it was still smoldering.

Charlie looked up into the inner offices beyond where the supply clerks and their assistants worked diligently to maintain the fleet’s readiness and hungry need for all manner of materials from food to fuel to spare parts. The cubicles were all silent save for the brief soft hum of a computer terminal working quietly on unknown equations and processes.

Charlie’s hand went to where a phaser would be on his hip. He winced. Charlie had no need for such weapons. But he had watched Jim and the others so intently, wanting to be like them that it was his first instinct.

His second instinct to stretch out with his esper senses ended up saving his life. He felt the aggression and murderous intent like a jackhammer and his body reacted the only way it knew how.

Charlie leapt forward curling himself into a tumbling ball as a crimson blade leapt out from behind him and cut down like a scythe burning through empty air where Charlie’s head had occupied only split seconds before.

Charlie stopped his tumbling with an awkward flailing of his arms and he desperately tried to remember Jim’s lessons on judo and space karate as he came up in a fighting stance. Charlie had sneered at Jim all those years ago about these fighting lessons. Why learn tumbles and falls when all Charlie wanted to do was learn how to fight? Jim had explained with a quiet smile that he needed to learn how to fall before he could learn how to fight.

How right you were, Jim. Only I wish you were here right now.

A dark cloaked figure stood in the doorway and it seemed to be taken by surprise at Charlie’s reaction and agility. But it recovered quickly and stood right in the doorway sweeping the crimson humming blade before it like the welcoming arms of a lover. Not that Charlie had ever been with a woman but he had imagined it many, many times.

“Who are you?” Charlie asked trying to gather his wits and stifle his fear. There was something about this figure that was sending frosty stabs of terror into his bowels. It was shocking for him to feel such terror and dread. He was not accustomed to those emotions.

“You are quick; I’ll grant you that Charles Evans. Kirk chose his lapdog well.” The figure replied with a dark ominous voice. There was much fury behind every syllable it uttered and it moved like a predator. This thing was used to killing.

“I asked you who you were and what have you done with the people here.” Charlie asked tightly fighting the cold in his bowels that threatened to make him lose all control and function. Now wouldn’t that be embarrassing? No one ever told him you could mess yourself in a fight.

“My name is unimportant but the fact that you have been marked for death is.”

“It’s gonna take more than a fancy lightsaber to kill me.” Charlie replied with some conviction and smiled. “Whoever sent you had no idea what I’m capable of. I don’t like you much and I think I’m going to send you away.”

“What a child you must be if you think such petty threats have any sway over a Lord of the Sith.” The figure sneered and suddenly dropped his hood revealing the face beneath. Charlie was beginning to rally himself and he reached out to the threatening figure and imagined him far away in the limbo where he sent those that displeased him when he was a younger more callow youth.

He could imagine him fading away as the others had calling out for mercy or in fear as their voices echoed into infinity.

Save that this one did not vanish. He did not go away. It raised one hand and a terrible shadow seemed to fall around it. The shadow rippled and wavered like a lake on a windy day and then Charlie felt the fear increase ten fold within him and he stumbled backwards, eyes widening with a horrible realization that this red faced horned demon with words of power etched on his face in the blackest ink was more than any man he had faced before and he wasn’t just going to go away.

The Sith Lord raised his saber and suddenly a second blade snapped hissed into existence and he spun it in a tight intricate dancing circle and his blades hummed eagerly. Charlie’s face was illuminated in the hungry crimson light of the lightsaber.

“Time to die Charles Evans. You underestimated the power of the Dark Side and the might of Darth Maul. Your adventure ends here and now.”
[/quote]
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

First post! Now to read!

EDIT: Read it. Wow, we're getting close to endgame now. And Charlie X vs. Darth Maul. I don't know enough about Charlie to call that one, but I'm betting it'll be interesting.
Last edited by Trogdor on 2005-09-20 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

My first Starcrossed appreciation post. :)
I've reading for months off and on (just finished yesterday) and I must say Stravo, you rock.
I will have a more complete review later, but now, I must read.

Edit: Wow, that was great. It will be interesting to see how Han will take the news of his new surroundings. :wink:
Although I should note, Xizor is already dead by this point in the timeline. The Executor blew up his Skyhook a few weeks before the Battle of Endor IIRC.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

Yeah, as much as Vader and Thinking Clearly don't always go together, I would think that thoughts of Xizor would only bring a feeling of bemused satisfaction.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Newness! Must read.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Noble Ire wrote:My first Starcrossed appreciation post. :)
I've reading for months off and on (just finished yesterday) and I must say Stravo, you rock.

Edit: Wow, that was great. It will be interesting to see how Han will take the news of his new surroundings. :wink:
Although I should note, Xizor is already dead by this point in the timeline. The Executor blew up his Skyhook a few weeks before the Battle of Endor IIRC.
Welcome to the club. And if you think about it, Shadows of the Empire never happened in this timeline because Luke turned on Bespin so Xixor never had a chance to get in Vader's sights yet so he's still an annoyance. I just don't know enough about Vader in the EU to list any more enemies other than Xixor and now Thrawn. I always like to throw some easter eggs for the EU fans out there.

BTW there was an extremely and I mean extremely subtle nod to Mike's conquest in this chapter.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stravo wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:My first Starcrossed appreciation post. :)

Welcome to the club. And if you think about it, Shadows of the Empire never happened in this timeline because Luke turned on Bespin so Xixor never had a chance to get in Vader's sights yet so he's still an annoyance. I just don't know enough about Vader in the EU to list any more enemies other than Xixor and now Thrawn. I always like to throw some easter eggs for the EU fans out there.

BTW there was an extremely and I mean extremely subtle nod to Mike's conquest in this chapter.
You have various Moff's "unamed" Rebel Leaders. Bel Iblis prehaps? Its hard to know who exactly personaly pissed of Vadar since most of those people ended up dead shortly aftewords.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Seemed a bit heavy on the Episode III references in the first part. Though it was nice seeing Khan get bitch slapped around. You definately have the characters down very well. Ochoa, once again proves why he's my favorite. Han seemed a little off from usual, maybe a few too many one-liners. All in all though, very good. Love what you've done between the Nogri and Ochoa. As for Charlie and Maul. Well, this will be interesting to say the least.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Stravo wrote:BTW there was an extremely and I mean extremely subtle nod to Mike's conquest in this chapter.
You mean the "Your accent, sounds like its from the Core worlds. Coruscant." Part? *awaits his cookie*
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Stravo

Post by Stravo »

Captain Cyran wrote:
Stravo wrote:BTW there was an extremely and I mean extremely subtle nod to Mike's conquest in this chapter.
You mean the "Your accent, sounds like its from the Core worlds. Coruscant." Part? *awaits his cookie*
Ask and you shall receive. Sharp eyes there Cyran. :D

JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Damm you Stravo -- I'm prepared to shut down for the night and finish what's left of my assignment, but no, I find that you've updated and so, I must read! And I like. Good to see the shit finally hitting the fan in regards to Vader mucking up Thrawn's plans. And the ROTS tie-ins were nice, too. As has been said before, keep 'em coming! :twisted:
Johnathon_Chance
Youngling

The Master is back!

Post by Johnathon_Chance »

Praise be the gods! I have waited a long time for the chance to post here. Stravo, you are the best! Ditch the lawyer job and write some books dude, this is one of the best stories I have ever read, ties in two great series and makes me beg for more.

Bravo Stravo!!! :D :lol:
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Possum Lodge Member 2505162435
Perseid
Padawan Learner

Post by Perseid »

Yay an update.

Ahh the end game approaches, but hopefully not to quickly theres still all of those plot lines you've thrown in that still need to be brought together.

Loved the reference to Conquest

[Mr Burns] Excellent[/Mr Burns] as always Stravo, looking forward to some Maulage :twisted:
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Han Solo, what a man!

*ahem* Anyway, keep it up, Stravo. It'll be interesting to see how Han reacts to the various events of late.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Comosicus
Keeper of the Lore

Post by Comosicus »

After such a long waiting, our patience is rewarded. Another nice chapter. Good job, Stravo.
Not all Dacians died at Sarmizegetusa
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Another wonderful capter, Sir. Thank you for the good read. Someday I hope to be I can be as good a writer as you.
Vader looked down at the insignificant gnat. How his manner reminded him of the Jedi Masters. So sure of themselves, so arrogant in their smug righteousness. As he had dealt with them he would deal with this one. But for now he must bide his time. Vader could feel it sometimes, at the very edge of his consciousness like some half remembered dream.
I love how you incorperated the information in "Revenge of the Sith" in to this. Brilliant!

P.S. If you get some free time, Stavo, I'd appreciate it if you'd be good enough to read my scribblings and PM me any advice or pointers on general writting that come to mind.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Trytostaydead
Sith Marauder

Post by Trytostaydead »

That was frakkin' awesome! Welcome back Starcrossed!

Whenever and however Starcrossed ends, I would like a sequel!
Dillon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Dillon »

That chapter was awesome. I was literally giggling out of giddiness during the Sith pwnage parts.

Also, cool to see Han Solo making an appearance. I was hoping he would show up in this fic. :D
Star Empire
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Empire »

Great chapter as always. Can't wait for the Battle of Endor.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

The Battle of Endor already happened, Star Empire. Do you mean the Battle of Andor perhaps?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader