Some capital ships, critique them!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

See the red arrow? That's the area where your flat turret has no possible armor protection. The ball turret can have armor covering it in that spot, because it can use a curved piece right under the armor. It's a fairly serious unprotected spot, because a hit there would knock out that turret, as well as possibly going deeper into the ship, causing massive destruction.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The ammo feed is one the reasons why I favor Energy weapons over projectile weapons. Ammo size (both how many? and how big?) is another.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
RRoan
Padawan Learner

Post by RRoan »

Ammo space requirements can easily be nutralized with point to point teleportation. :)
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Hotfoot wrote:See, what you forget is that the natural firing position of the ball turret is perpenticular to the hull, wheras the flat turret is parrallel. Translation? You need to move it 90 degrees in any direction to get to a point the flat turret needs to turn 180 degrees to get to. It offers better fire coordination as a result, and also offers more guns to any particular target, as fully half the guns on the ship (as shown) can fire at one target at any given time.
Strawman.
There is no "natural firing position" in space - if it's inside the turret's range of movement, you can have the barrel stick out in that direction by default.
You would be making a point with the 90°/180° if we were talking about Antares' turret design (fixed barrel, freely rotating turret) - but we're not.
Why?
Because his design can not achieve 180° elevation, which is one of the abilities claimed for ball turrets (I'll let you figure out why, but it's rather obvious).
Hotfoot wrote:Another thing to consider: What is the shortest distance between two points?
Answer: a straight line

A ball turret can move in a straight line from target to target, while a flat turret must first rotate, then elevate. Both can have the same arc of fire, if you design them right, but strictly on the math alone, a ball turret will be able to sight in a given target faster.
Wrongo; see NoXion's reply.
Beowulf wrote:See the red arrow? That's the area where your flat turret has no possible armor protection. The ball turret can have armor covering it in that spot, because it can use a curved piece right under the armor. It's a fairly serious unprotected spot, because a hit there would knock out that turret, as well as possibly going deeper into the ship, causing massive destruction.
Oh, really?
How about putting a fixed armor plate below the gun barrel, then?
You know, one that doesn't have to be moved to adjust elevation...
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I see they are ribbed for her pleasure....

god my creating the only uber-vaginal capship design.....

yes, it does make suns and planets, occasionally the whose bleeping dyson's sphere from scratch....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

NoXion wrote::shock: You do realise that with a length of 10,000km you've got to take into account gravitational effects? Your ship will keep trying to form itself into a sphere.

1000km is the maximum size a ship can be before spheres become a good design philosphy.

And people said MY ships were big...
the 10000km ship isn't used anywhere near a solar system. That it has got some technobbable to keep it's shape. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

AMX wrote:Strawman.
There is no "natural firing position" in space - if it's inside the turret's range of movement, you can have the barrel stick out in that direction by default.
No, because even in space, you can't change the fact that the natural "at rest" position for a turret shaped like a Tank/Wetnavy Battleship turret is parallel to the hull. Besides, imagine you have to track fire control across a target that was almost at a 90 degree angle from the hull but a bit forward, then AT a 90 degree angle to the hull, then a bit backward. Guess which turret design would have the best tracking ability.
You would be making a point with the 90°/180° if we were talking about Antares' turret design (fixed barrel, freely rotating turret) - but we're not.
Why?
Because his design can not achieve 180° elevation, which is one of the abilities claimed for ball turrets (I'll let you figure out why, but it's rather obvious).
His can't because of their placement and the strange hull design, a problem with the hull itself, not the turret. If you REALLY want to get technical, the other turrets can't fire a full 180 either, because other turrets get in their way on the shallow angles.
Wrongo; see NoXion's reply.
His reply fails to consider a target moving straight across the line perpendicular to the hull, which is the turrets most glaring problem. The turret has to rotate "up", then turn the entire turret, then rotate back down. While it might look cool, it's not that terribly efficient, and if you try to rotate the turret BEFORE it reaches its maximum angle, you have a period of time which you simply cannot fire at the target.
Oh, really?
How about putting a fixed armor plate below the gun barrel, then?
You know, one that doesn't have to be moved to adjust elevation...
That would get in the way of the guns being able to rotate up to 90 degrees straight up (or more).
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Hotfoot wrote:No, because even in space, you can't change the fact that the natural "at rest" position for a turret shaped like a Tank/Wetnavy Battleship turret is parallel to the hull.
Read my lips:
BULL. SHIT.
Besides, imagine you have to track fire control across a target that was almost at a 90 degree angle from the hull but a bit forward, then AT a 90 degree angle to the hull, then a bit backward. Guess which turret design would have the best tracking ability.
An almost valid concern.
Except that turrets with considerably more than 90° elevation run into a heap of problems regardless whether they are spherical or not.
His can't because of their placement and the strange hull design, a problem with the hull itself, not the turret. If you REALLY want to get technical, the other turrets can't fire a full 180 either, because other turrets get in their way on the shallow angles.
Think again. There's a far more fundamental problem.
His reply fails to consider a target moving straight across the line perpendicular to the hull, which is the turrets most glaring problem. The turret has to rotate "up", then turn the entire turret, then rotate back down. While it might look cool, it's not that terribly efficient, and if you try to rotate the turret BEFORE it reaches its maximum angle, you have a period of time which you simply cannot fire at the target.
See above.
That would get in the way of the guns being able to rotate up to 90 degrees straight up (or more).
Not necessarily.
Although I admit you need a curved piece of armor, similar to the one you proposed for the ball turret - only much smaller:
Blue is the fixed plate. Red is the curved, moveable plate.
Yellow is the additional plate you need to give the ball turret 180° elevation.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The Ball design has an advatage only at the cost of a huge amount of material. WWII bombers used the ball turret only because it was required in order to have a person inside to aim the thing and then it provided no protection to the gunner because in order for him to do his job the entire turret had to be made of clear material. The ball turret was a concession to the fact that automation required to operate the turret remote was too heady and was hard on the operator.

In both designs, The guns require the same amount of machinery to raise. Now the ball turrets will have much more mass if it wishes to turn will need much heavier machinery to do so.

In space a turret does not have to be pointed any particulare direction because there is no air, no air no friction. So turrets can be pointed in almost any direction the commander and guns crew wish.

A laser type weapon can simply have a divit on the hull instead.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

Hotfoot wrote:No, because even in space, you can't change the fact that the natural "at rest" position for a turret shaped like a Tank/Wetnavy Battleship turret is parallel to the hull. Besides, imagine you have to track fire control across a target that was almost at a 90 degree angle from the hull but a bit forward, then AT a 90 degree angle to the hull, then a bit backward. Guess which turret design would have the best tracking ability.
Don't forget that sensors outrange the weapons considerably and as such the turrets will already be tracking the target before they get in range.

This diagram is a cross section showing the lateral fields of fire - the red areas are covered by one row of turrets and the blue areas are covered by more than one. Only if the target gets so close that they're literally brushing the hull do problems arise. But ships small enough to do that can still be hit by the little guns, which are designed to hurt little ships.
Notice that as you get further away from the ship, the greater the area covered by more than one gun gets. You're thinking too much in terms of a single turret, when in fact most of the time they will be working in concert.

Edited to add:
Hotfoot wrote:His reply fails to consider a target moving straight across the line perpendicular to the hull, which is the turrets most glaring problem. The turret has to rotate "up", then turn the entire turret, then rotate back down. While it might look cool, it's not that terribly efficient, and if you try to rotate the turret BEFORE it reaches its maximum angle, you have a period of time which you simply cannot fire at the target.
But most targets when doing that will come within the forward/rear firing cone, where the ship's fire is strongest, and not only that, but the topmost rows of guns can easily turn 90 degrees and attack attackers from the side:

I admit it's not perfect, but I think it's adequate.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
NoXion wrote:Gil,

You're forgetting about powerplants (The bigger the more power, and thus destructive potential and stronger shields) Crew (Each ship is going to need a trained bridge crew and Humans can't simply throw them into teeth of battle like the Fang can) and sheer mass (Harder to destroy a large object than a smaller one)
I'd thing with huge massive weapons, like you are talking about, sheer mass would be a disadvantage, since it would require significantly more delta-vs to manuever and thus would be less likely to avoid getting blown up. One well placed bomb of significant size will take a big ship as much as a small ship and a big ship will be easier to target from range.
Accept that with larger ships, you need larger expolsives to blow it up. That, and the enemy isn't particularly smart.
And each ship will need a crew, sure, but is a big ship going to have just as much of a crew as a group of small ships of similar volume and but all their eggs are in one basket.
Wrong. With more ships, you need a larger office corps. For ten ships, you need ten captains, ten XOs, and so forth. As NoXion is stated, Mankind has the resources, but not the manpower.
Sure a bigger ship can have a bigger powerplant, but a smaller ship doesn't need as big a powerplant/drive motor, since it has vastly less mass to shove around. Also, it since a much smaller force field would be necessary to have the same field intensity, merely because it covers a vastly smaller surface area. Multiple targets means less firepower used against a given ship in your fleet as well, so it's not just one target getting bombarded by a large amount. Finally, a big powerplant will have no effect on the yield of your missiles, which are by far the most useful space weapon possible.
Shield generators and powerplants both run on Volume, while shield covering runs on surface area, meaning you can get much heavier shields per surface area with a bigger ship.

As to missles, with enough ECM, missles are rendered useless, whether via ECM/ECCM balance or Cost/Benefit analysis. There's also the fact that missles take up much more room than a shell given the same blast size.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

AMX wrote:Read my lips:
BULL. SHIT.
Your merely calling it bullshit does not make it so. Tell me, what protection from random space debris does the flat turret offer the guns when they are fully inclined? Answer: none. The only real advantage they would get when "stowed" would be if they are returned parallel to the hull. Meanwhile, a ball-turret (which you seem to have made some assumptions about that I did not put forward), can extend the same protection no matter what the position of the gun, allowing you to stow it in the position where it can track a target the fastest no matter where the relative position.
An almost valid concern.
Except that turrets with considerably more than 90° elevation run into a heap of problems regardless whether they are spherical or not.
An almost valid response, except you offer no basis for your claims.
Either say something or don't bother, I'm not interested in playing a game of "I know something you don't know". If I've missed something, fucking say it and move on or fuck off, I'm not in the mood to deal with petty bullshit.
See above.
You have yet to give an appropriate response to the problem I have presented. Either put up or shut up.
Not necessarily.
Although I admit you need a curved piece of armor, similar to the one you proposed for the ball turret - only much smaller:
You haven't solved the problem at all. Look at the angle created by your curved armor at the joint and the flat bottom of the turret. That's pretty much the same vulnerable area as before, and a shot coming in that way would still disable the turret.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

NoXion wrote:But most targets when doing that will come within the forward/rear firing cone, where the ship's fire is strongest, and not only that, but the topmost rows of guns can easily turn 90 degrees and attack attackers from the side:

I admit it's not perfect, but I think it's adequate.
Why would anyone walk into the largest field of fire if they could avoid it? Why wouldn't they attack somewhere where your field of fire would be the weakest?

Also, consider the following: Replace all of the turrets you currently have with ones that are designed to fire perpendicular to the hull. As you approach the enemy, you turn 90 degrees, coasting towards him with your side facing him. You then rotate the ship along its central axis, causing it to look like rolling pin coming at the enemy. At any given time, fully half of the guns can fire at the enemy, meanwhile incoming attacks will be spread over your hull, preventing concentrated fire on a specific hull section.
The Realm of Confusion
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Hotfoot wrote:
AMX wrote:Read my lips:
BULL. SHIT.
Your merely calling it bullshit does not make it so. Tell me, what protection from random space debris does the flat turret offer the guns when they are fully inclined? Answer: none. The only real advantage they would get when "stowed" would be if they are returned parallel to the hull. Meanwhile, a ball-turret (which you seem to have made some assumptions about that I did not put forward), can extend the same protection no matter what the position of the gun, allowing you to stow it in the position where it can track a target the fastest no matter where the relative position.
Finally an actual argument.
But rather weak - random debris that just happens to hit the barrel is pretty far down on my list of concerns.
An almost valid concern.
An almost valid response, except you offer no basis for your claims.
Ammo feed.
Lots of empty space to provide enough clearance for the movement.
Control inversion.
Either say something or don't bother, I'm not interested in playing a game of "I know something you don't know". If I've missed something, fucking say it and move on or fuck off, I'm not in the mood to deal with petty bullshit.
OK, since you ask so nicely...
Remember: We're using solid projectiles.
These have to be passed from the ship into the turret somehow, which requires an opening at the bottom of said turret.
An opening you would not want to expose.

Of course, there's also the matter of the gun barrel impacting the deck...
See above.
You have yet to give an appropriate response to the problem I have presented. Either put up or shut up.
My response is: We'll just do it the way AAA does it all over the world.
Not necessarily.
You haven't solved the problem at all. Look at the angle created by your curved armor at the joint and the flat bottom of the turret. That's pretty much the same vulnerable area as before, and a shot coming in that way would still disable the turret.
*Looks*
*Squints*
No, i don't see it, sorry.
Also, a shot hitting exactly the corner between barrel and armor would probably eliminate your ball turret, too.
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

AMX wrote:Finally an actual argument.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing :roll:
But rather weak - random debris that just happens to hit the barrel is pretty far down on my list of concerns.
Fine. consider also the stress of acceleration on the joints when fully inclined. A ball turret can have support up to the end of the barrel, depending on the design, reducing stress on the joints.
Ammo feed.
Can be done through a flexible feed line in either case.
Depends on the design. In any case, you've got empty space no matter what, so I fail to see what the problem is. Might help to actually say WHY it is a problem, rather than just saying it is.
Control inversion.
Say what?
These have to be passed from the ship into the turret somehow, which requires an opening at the bottom of said turret.
You're right in that you need to feed the ammunition to the gun (this is a problem even with energy weapons, you're just dealing with smaller individual units of "ammunition" with electrons/photons/plasma/whatever). However, that said, this problem can be solved in a variety of ways. One way is that you don't have FULL 180 degree firing, but rather slice off a few degrees from the shallower angles where there is the possibility of hitting your own ship. Then you can have everything except the pivot point armored, allowing the ammo feed a nice freedom of movement. The other possibility is to put the ammo feed directly under the pivot point, and giving the feed enough slack to follow the turret around. Another possibility is to simply have the inside of the turret filled with the appropriate ammunition and make all that empty space the loading mechanism. The last solution, clearly, would only have a net benefit if you were somehow worried about having an ammunition line cooking off all the way back to your ammo stores, as it can be designed to blow out in the event of a catastrophic breach.
How would that be more likely with a ball design than a flat one, pray tell?
You mean forget about it and use missiles instead? :P
*Looks*
*Squints*
Also, a shot hitting exactly the corner between barrel and armor would probably eliminate your ball turret, too.
Possibly, but the angle of yours is very much steeper, meaning that even an off-target shot could be deflected into a killing blow. Generally speaking, you want to angle incoming fire AWAY from the rest of the vehicle, to prevent such an occurance. An obtuse angle, in the case, would be infinitely superior to an acute one.
The Realm of Confusion
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Hotfoot wrote:
AMX wrote:Finally an actual argument.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing :roll:
Fine. consider also the stress of acceleration on the joints when fully inclined. A ball turret can have support up to the end of the barrel, depending on the design, reducing stress on the joints.
Something you don't need to be worried about in the first place.
Ammo feed.
Can be done through a flexible feed line in either case.
Nope. Your ball turret has to be loaded from the side due to the strip cylinder of armor that's attached to protect the inside of the turret. Meaning, there's going to be an ammo feed that'll prevent the turret from rotating after a specificed number of rotations. With the standard turret, there is no problem.
Depends on the design. In any case, you've got empty space no matter what, so I fail to see what the problem is. Might help to actually say WHY it is a problem, rather than just saying it is.
No idea what AMX's talking about, so skip
Control inversion.
Say what?
You're a fucking idiot for now knowing what this is, and he's a fucking idiot for not knowing it won't be a problem. Start with the slot for barrel movement perpendicular to the spine of the ship. Turn the turret 180 degrees. Which way is down?
You're right in that you need to feed the ammunition to the gun (this is a problem even with energy weapons, you're just dealing with smaller individual units of "ammunition" with electrons/photons/plasma/whatever). However, that said, this problem can be solved in a variety of ways. One way is that you don't have FULL 180 degree firing, but rather slice off a few degrees from the shallower angles where there is the possibility of hitting your own ship. Then you can have everything except the pivot point armored, allowing the ammo feed a nice freedom of movement. The other possibility is to put the ammo feed directly under the pivot point, and giving the feed enough slack to follow the turret around. Another possibility is to simply have the inside of the turret filled with the appropriate ammunition and make all that empty space the loading mechanism. The last solution, clearly, would only have a net benefit if you were somehow worried about having an ammunition line cooking off all the way back to your ammo stores, as it can be designed to blow out in the event of a catastrophic breach.
Accept this is sheer bullshit.

Your first idea is bad because: you don't have enough space. to store that much ammo, and with all of that ammo, your tracking is going to go to shit. That, and you're gunner is going to be over-moving the turret when it starts to run low on ammo. You have an entire ship for a reason, and any system to reload that ammo-store is going to be overly-complicated.
How would that be more likely with a ball design than a flat one, pray tell?
Fuck if I know what he's talking about. That's a simple idea, and nothing to worry about.
You mean forget about it and use missiles instead? :P
You're a dumbass.

http://www.aeronautics.ru/aaaru.htm
*Looks*
*Squints*
Possibly, but the angle of yours is very much steeper, meaning that even an off-target shot could be deflected into a killing blow. Generally speaking, you want to angle incoming fire AWAY from the rest of the vehicle, to prevent such an occurance. An obtuse angle, in the case, would be infinitely superior to an acute one.
Um, yeah, both of your arguments *almsot* make sense. If anything hits the point where the barral guard (for lack of a better term) meets the turret armor, it's not going to be a problem. The things are fucking huge, and are going to have equally vast amounts of armor (as much as feasible in relation to the ability of the thing to turn.
Luzifer's right hand
Jedi Master

Post by Luzifer's right hand »

You ships look nice, I wish I had such skill.

I tried to do a little bit for a story i'm working on and it did not really work. ;)
A side view and a front view.

The red things is the size of the FTL-drive bubble.

It is an Explorer-Class carrier of the Symbiosis.

The long thing which touches the FTL-bubble has the sonsor system which allows scanning realspace without leaving it, the odd thing at the other end is a wake killer which makes the ship harder to track while the FTL drive is active.

The ship carries no offensive weapons and it's main defenses are that it only leaves he realm used for FTL travel for refueling and maintenance, jammers which force ships with less powerful drives to return to realspace, a number of differnt shields and stealth fields.
It carries a fleet(3 million vessels) of 120 meter exploration cruisers, they are unlike the mothership armed with offensive weapons.

Cruisers and mothership together have a crew of 110000000 million Humans and 3200000 Geunier(The other race in the Symbiosis).

The long range explorer stays outside of the target galaxy, deactivates the shields which prevent teleportation and teleports the cruisers into realspace outside of it's anti-FTL bubble.
The cruisers activate their own FTL drives and start to explore the galaxy.
I asked The Lord, "Why hath thou forsaken me?" And He spoke unto me saying, "j00 R n00b 4 3VR", And I was like "stfu -_-;;"
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Singular Quartet wrote:Something you don't need to be worried about in the first place.
Yes, because warships will never undergo sudden bursts of acceleration, and gradual wear and tear is something that should never be a concern.
Nope. Your ball turret has to be loaded from the side due to the strip cylinder of armor that's attached to protect the inside of the turret. Meaning, there's going to be an ammo feed that'll prevent the turret from rotating after a specificed number of rotations. With the standard turret, there is no problem.
Really? Because, the damn thing won't NEED to rotate, it will never twist the ammo feed, meanwhile the flat turret is constantly rotating to get to a target... :roll:
You're a fucking idiot for now knowing what this is, and he's a fucking idiot for not knowing it won't be a problem. Start with the slot for barrel movement perpendicular to the spine of the ship. Turn the turret 180 degrees. Which way is down?
Yes, because anybody who has never heard a specific term before is a fucking idiot, rather than just ignorant. Nice job, jackass. Forgive me if he throws out terminology with not one fucking argument to explain why it's supposedly a problem and I'm expected to understand this. I'm used to people at least explaining why something is a problem, rather than just stating it is. I don't know everything, nor do I claim to. Neither do you, I'd wager, but then I think you proved that when you claimed a ROTATING FLAT TURRET would never twist an ammo feed, while a translating ball turret would. Bravo, dickhead.
Accept this is sheer bullshit.

Your first idea is bad because: you don't have enough space. to store that much ammo, and with all of that ammo, your tracking is going to go to shit. That, and you're gunner is going to be over-moving the turret when it starts to run low on ammo. You have an entire ship for a reason, and any system to reload that ammo-store is going to be overly-complicated.
First off, that was my THIRD idea to store the ammo in the extra space in the turret, and I already said it wasn't a very good one. Want a quote that you can maybe read in more detail? I'll even bold it for you:
Hotfoot wrote:Another possibility is to simply have the inside of the turret filled with the appropriate ammunition and make all that empty space the loading mechanism. The last solution, clearly, would only have a net benefit if you were somehow worried about having an ammunition line cooking off all the way back to your ammo stores, as it can be designed to blow out in the event of a catastrophic breach.
I also didn't suggest that the ammo store in the turret would be reloadable on the fly in the middle of combat, but we can already tell your reading comprehension isn't that great.
Wiseass, maybe, but let's be honest, more often than not, a missile is more likely to take down a modern jet fighter. AAA is good against slower aircraft, and by far the cheaper option, but a missile that goes big boom is better than bullets that go little boom or no boom. And, oh, look, what is that on the more advanced models? Why, yes, it's SAMs! Why, what are Surface to Air Missiles doing on an anti-air design, I wonder. Maybe because they do a better job at hitting a fast target than slugthrowers?

Also, just because something is still in use does not mean that it's somehow inherantly GOOD, and Russian military technology is no exception.
Um, yeah, both of your arguments *almsot* make sense. If anything hits the point where the barral guard (for lack of a better term) meets the turret armor, it's not going to be a problem. The things are fucking huge, and are going to have equally vast amounts of armor (as much as feasible in relation to the ability of the thing to turn.
Even with thick armor, something that massively deforms the armor is still a problem, or something that jams itself in there and fuses the upper layer of the armor, or something that explodes with enough force to knock the pivot point around. However, if offensive technology is so poor as to not be able to penetrate a weak point, that's up to the creator of the setting in question. However, I would like to point out that curved armor, while expensive in comparison, is superior in that the area in which a shot at any given angle can easily penetrate (as opposed to being deflected) is tiny, compared to the wide areas of flat armor. Since the rest of the ship is made up of a more-or-less curved structure, the main hull gains the benefit of this, however each and every flat turret offers a relatively easy way in.
The Realm of Confusion
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You know, posting your own designs in someone else's thread doesn't seem to be really the most polite thing to do...

Anyway, I don't have a problem with the actual designs of the ships. There are just too many weapon emplacements. Almost to the point of immediate lack of interest.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Anyway, I don't have a problem with the actual designs of the ships. There are just too many weapon emplacements. Almost to the point of immediate lack of interest.
Amen to that, like it said already by me several others if ship has too many gun per m^2 it becomes unintresting wank

I also like basic design there's just WAY too many guns in them.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Well you have to admit the turret has the lower target profile. It has pretty much the same from the top as the Ball turret but the ball turret is a much better target from the side.

The Ammo feeds can in the turret be in the center where the final stage can simply rotate the shells to the same as the as the turret as it turns.

The super structure if the turret would allow room to store extra shots as the turret fire so you can reload both turrets faster that way.

The Ball turret has the problem that the turret rotates ans elevates at the same time unless the top does not move with the barrel. Of course if the top doesn't move that leaves a huge slot hit can enter the turret with.
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Remember those funny mice, the ones we had before the shiny optical ones came out? Those had balls in them. You could use them to point to any point on the screen. You never needed to "rotate" them, or twist the mouse.

Even better, think of a joystick, one of those wacky ones with only an X and Y Axis. You pull to the left, whatever you're controlling goes to the left. You pull up, whatever you're controlling goes up. Full range of motion for a turret, no need to spin around in place. In this case, you can even think of the stick itself AS the gun, just extend the range of motion, and away you go.

No "rotation" needed, no motion that would supposedly twist or tangle an ammo feed.
The Realm of Confusion
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Hotfoot wrote:Remember those funny mice, the ones we had before the shiny optical ones came out? Those had balls in them. You could use them to point to any point on the screen. You never needed to "rotate" them, or twist the mouse.

Even better, think of a joystick, one of those wacky ones with only an X and Y Axis. You pull to the left, whatever you're controlling goes to the left. You pull up, whatever you're controlling goes up. Full range of motion for a turret, no need to spin around in place. In this case, you can even think of the stick itself AS the gun, just extend the range of motion, and away you go.

No "rotation" needed, no motion that would supposedly twist or tangle an ammo feed.
yes I remember them and said MICE do not have wire or anything else running into the ball. A ball turret is more like a dome over a Telescope. The Turret has to have a wat to get Ammo inside it and the trackball it a bad analogy because there is nothing inside the ball as all!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Isolder74 wrote:yes I remember them and said MICE do not have wire or anything else running into the ball.
Ah, but what you're missing is the fact that in order to get the full range of movement, spinning in place is NOT NECESSARY.
A ball turret is more like a dome over a Telescope. The Turret has to have a wat to get Ammo inside it and the trackball it a bad analogy because there is nothing inside the ball as all!
So you're just ignoring the bit about the joystick, or the fact that it's easy to show how to get a full range of movement out of a ball without having to twist it as you claim? :roll:
The Realm of Confusion
Isolder74

Post by Isolder74 »

Hotfoot wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:yes I remember them and said MICE do not have wire or anything else running into the ball.
Ah, but what you're missing is the fact that in order to get the full range of movement, spinning in place is NOT NECESSARY.
A ball turret is more like a dome over a Telescope. The Turret has to have a wat to get Ammo inside it and the trackball it a bad analogy because there is nothing inside the ball as all!
So you're just ignoring the bit about the joystick, or the fact that it's easy to show how to get a full range of movement out of a ball without having to twist it as you claim? :roll:
Try and make that joystick move 90 degrees, Yoiu can,t because its wires get in the way! In order to do so the wires mist alway stay on the bottom of the mount meaning you now need more structure underneath. The joystick transverses 45 degrees at best, fine for a Point defense gun if it is never expeted to fire allong the ships hull or Any elevation under 45 degrees.