A little SW vehicle comparison... :P

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

VT-16
Sith Marauder

A little SW vehicle comparison... :P

Post by VT-16 »

This was a half-serious attempt at SW vehicle comparisons, done while bored, so don't expect any brilliant merging of side-views:

http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/6546 ... ale8wl.jpg

Done on simple Paint, I measured (loosely) various lengths/heights etc. to try and come up with more comparions than was already noted in sources like "The Imperial Sourcebook".

Hope you like it/find it interesting! :D

EDIT: The one above is the final version now. :D
Last edited by VT-16 on 2005-10-01 11:59am, edited 2 times in total.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Wow, I didn't know the A6 was that much bigger than the A5...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

If the official sizes are consistent... 8)
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

What's an ISP? Never seen that before.

Also, I didn't know an AT-AP was so big. This is very useful.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

What size are you using for the AT-AT?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The ISP appears to be some sort of 'dune buggy'-ish vehicle, probably utilized for rapid forward deployment of light troops as well as patrol missions.

And VT: Very nice overall. A minor suggestion-- incorporate a human figure at scale by some of the larger ones, so that we can get an idea of just how big they are...

Incidentally-- why do you have two different sizes for the AT-ST? I didn't think the Hoth one was *that* much bigger...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

What size are you using for the AT-AT?
The right one (approx) 22,something meters.

And I'm basing the Hoth AT-ST on the presumtion that both cockpits are roughly the same size. With longer, thinner legs, it's a couple of meters taller than the Endor (and subsequent standard) one.

The ISP (Infantry Support Platform) is the swamp speeder seen during multiple campaigns in ROTS.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

EDIT: Through the power of Copy & Paste, I have added little clones to the above pic for rough reference. Had to change the AT-TE slightly, as I discovered the dimensions didn´t quite fit the official numbers, no matter which direction I followed, so I went with making the gunner's head match the (approx) 1.80 m tall clone's.
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

In the movie, you can see an ISP on the right side of the Juggernaut close up (the one in many a trailer) on Kashyyyk, and two ISPs each in front and behind of the open top walker on Felucia during the wide tracking shot of it. They appear about half a second each time. ;)

Great job on the pic, VT.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Aww, thanks! Fun stuff to put into perspective (then again I'm a sucker for SW ground combat :D)
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Sweet Mudder Maglicutty!!! That is one BIG Juggernaught! What EU was It used in and WHY did they feel the need to make it so big!??!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

I take it you haven't seen ROTS then? :P That's where the A6 Juggernaut was first seen. The A5 is well-known from EU sources, and both are based on ESB concept art.

As for the need? Well, GL wanted to revisit old OT-concepts and either he or ILM people wanted something BIG.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

:wtf:
I watched RotS, but I NEVER got the impression the Juggs in the film where THAT big. SHoot I have the ICS and it doesn't make them out to be that big...
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

30 m tall, 49 m long. That's about what you get here. And most of the humanoids seen next to it were wookiees on Kashyyyk, who were taller than average humans. A better view would be the clones and BARC speeders flying beside one on Coruscant, when Yoda leaves for Kashyyyk.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

VT-16 wrote:30 m tall, 49 m long. That's about what you get here. And most of the humanoids seen next to it were wookiees on Kashyyyk, who were taller than average humans. A better view would be the clones and BARC speeders flying beside one on Coruscant, when Yoda leaves for Kashyyyk.
The best view for getting the perspective, in my opinion, is when the Juggernauts are rolling towards the Venators to be loaded, and you see clonetroopers marching next to the wheels.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Yes. Which is the one I was referring to. :P

(Maybe a bit unclear.)
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

And they switched to AT-ATs, why? :P
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Politics.

And I'm not kidding, I think it said somewhere military commanders were pushing the AT-AT program and it got chosen to take over. To add insult to injury, they even modelled the later-generation AT-ATs after the Juggernaut models!

And I like the bullshit cop-out with "After the Clone Wars, sleeker more versatile ground assault vehicles were introduced into the armored ranks of the Imperial Army."
Aha, sleek and versatile like the huge, lumbering AT-AT or the floating brick known as the A9 Floating Fortress? :roll:

I also like "The Juggernaut was phased out, and saw action primarily in Outer Rim campaigns."
I see, where most of the Rebel uprisings are? That's like saying you'll replace the Tiger tank and then sending it to the frontlines. :P
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

VT-16 wrote:And I like the bullshit cop-out with "After the Clone Wars, sleeker more versatile ground assault vehicles were introduced into the armored ranks of the Imperial Army."
Aha, sleek and versatile like the huge, lumbering AT-AT or the floating brick known as the A9 Floating Fortress? :roll:
The REAL Blame goes to the Crappy "Artists" WEG hired for their sourcebooks too which many of these are based on. Really, lame, flat, 2D images that I could seriouslly do better drawing. Contrast that with some REALLY 'Sleek' vehivles. Shoot open up a Robotech™ book and look at some of 'Long's work, or if you really want to see some art, open a RIFTS Sourcebook.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Hey, I actually like quite a bit of WEG's vehicle and ship artwork. They had some good people working for them, back when people did actual WORK...

That's some good shit up there, in my opinion.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

he REAL Blame goes to the Crappy "Artists" WEG hired for their sourcebooks too which many of these are based on.
I second Spanky's appraisal of their art. It also looks better in a colorised, 3D environment, like on SWRPG Cards from Wizards of the Coast. They had the A5 Juggernaut, the QH-7 Chariot and the PX-4 MCC routing Rebels on Yavin IV and looked great!

That's one of the few things WEG got right, they made most of their vehicles look good and proper, IMO.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Oh boy, Palpatine (or the some else in Imperial hierarchy) must be really insecure about their manhood.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Wild Karrde
Jedi Knight

Post by Wild Karrde »

The A6 in relation to clonetroopers:

Quite deserving of the name Juggernaut. :twisted: :P
GALE FORCE/BOTM member and all around forum lurker.Image
Crown
NARF

Re: A little SW vehicle comparison... :P

Post by Crown »

VT-16 wrote:This was a half-serious attempt at SW vehicle comparisons, done while bored, so don't expect any brilliant merging of side-views:

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/5818 ... ale6rb.jpg

Done on simple Paint, I measured (loosely) various lengths/heights etc. to try and come up with more comparions than was already noted in sources like "The Imperial Sourcebook".

Hope you like it/find it interesting! :D
*two thumbs up*

That's excellent man, I've never really seen someone scale the ground pounders before. Very nice.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Aww, thanks! :D

My only puzzlement was whether or not to include the tip of a gun or an antenna to the overall length (I did do that in the end). And the length of the MT-AT was in dispute because the thing was in motion and I didn't know if the measurement was for the main body or with the legs when still. I just had to wing it, there. :P

Btw. does anyone have any good side-views of other ground units? Like the SPHA-T walker etc.? Can't seem to find any good views of that. =/