Best and worst TV show theme music

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There's too many good themes! "Dukes of Hazard", "KnightRider", old-BSG, "Airwolf"....
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Farscape had a kickass crazy theme.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Dorsk 81 wrote: I pity the fool, who hasn't atleast once played air-guitar while listening to the Buffy theme.
There isn't enough room in my room, sadly.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

The Best: Gargoyles
The worst, i don't watch tv alot so i haven't heard anyones that make me cringe but i am sure that i can think of a couple in a little while
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Choices, choices.

Best: Gargoyles theme rocked, X-Files had a pretty nifty theme, Buffy TVS theme kicked ass, B5 had some great music the first 5 seasons . . .so many choices.

Worst: Eh, fortunately I've blurred out most of the really bad ones from my memory. So I couldn't really say. I also thought the OP from Enterprise was fairly tolerable.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Best Overall Theme: Old BSG. It's orchestral and so lovely to listen to!
Best new theme: nBSG 2nd Season. I love the style of that exotic... thingie they do. Dramatic.
Best anime theme: Ouch. The full version of GitS Stand Alone Complex's theme (6 min) is beautiful. Go Yoko Kanno.

Worst overall: 'Obsession' from .hack//sign. Goddess, that high pitched voice is so damn annoying!
Worst new theme: nBSG season 1. What the hell is that beating? 'Music'?
Worst (next) anime theme: Blue seed. (Take it easy dangerous night game! Pull the triger foxy town! Mysterious tokyyyyyyo!)
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Hell. What am I thinking. B5: Call to Arms movie was /terrible/ since Frankes wasn't making it. It was like some monkey with a synthesizer.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Best: DS9, Angel
Can't think of worst.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Elfen Leid (or however it is). Best opening theme EVER. I mean EVER. Period.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

Nephtys wrote: Worst overall: 'Obsession' from .hack//sign. Goddess, that high pitched voice is so damn annoying!
I find it rather catchy.. on the other hand I can't stand the opening theme for Samurai Champloo.. which is a shame since I love the show.

Best- Hmm.. that's a toughie. GITS:SAC has a great theme, Airwolf, the A-team, Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League..
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Best: Airwolf, Vandread Season 1, Early Enterprise

Worst: Vandread season 2 (though I later understand why), Later Enterprise (with the pop)

(And other best, but that have already been covered)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Best: In A Mirror Darkly ENT (it fit quite well), BSG (both), Farscape, West Wing.
Worst: Most Sitcoms
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Nephtys wrote: Best anime theme: Ouch. The full version of GitS Stand Alone Complex's theme (6 min) is beautiful. Go Yoko Kanno.
Inner Universe - that Origa woman has an amazing voice. And it has three different languages in it!
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

SeaQuest DSV had a pretty good theme, IMHO.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Space: Above and Beyond as well.

As for worst...

I can't think of one off the top of my head... :(
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I've grown very attached to the SG-1 theme. STARGATE!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Can't think of any candidates for best theme music off the top of my head, although I'd probably put the theme song from Friends as my worst. I never made it through an episode of Friends because of that damned theme song.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

What's wrong with the Friends theme? I'm not the biggest fan of that show, but man was the theme upbeat and catchy.

Best: There is no one "best theme" for me, so I'll put down all the ones that occassionally pop into my head and bring a quick smile to my face.

B5, A-Team, Buffy, Angel, Greatest American Hero, Magnum PI, X-Men the cartoon (the old one), Duck Tales, TNG, old BSG, Airwolf, Dallas, LA Law, Northern Exposure, , Diff'rent Strokes (oh yeah), Soap and Benny Hill (always get a laugh out of me), Futurama, Happy Days (although I hated the show, the theme rocked), Roswell (I like Dido), Thundercats, Robotech, and Heathcliff.

Worst: Crusade/Call to Arms.

jms, if you can read this, I just want you to know one thing...

YOU FAIL!
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Best: X-Files, yes I know it was simple.

Worst: Crusade.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Best: Henry Mancini: Pink Panther, Green Hornet, Remington Steele
Worst: covers of pulp culture icons.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:What's wrong with the Friends theme? I'm not the biggest fan of that show, but man was the theme upbeat and catchy.
I know, but it was just too upbeat and catchy for my tastes. Like the upbeat and catchy equivalent of one of the more syrupy 80's power ballads.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Oh, I forgot one until I just heard it today and I reflexively reached for a stapler and began to pummel my balls with it to divert my attention from the bjorkiness.

The theme to Reading Rainbow.

*OW!!*

Fucking stapler.

*OW!!*

Goddammit.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Best? A-Team! duuh duuh duuuh duh duh duuunh duuuuh Dun dund Duun.
I can hume it even now! Don't belive me download it!

Worst? Family Guy, Funny the first time... not so good time 399.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Oh, I also love the Dr. Who theme (all versions I've heard from the old episodes I've seen.)

Wo woo woooOOOOooo wo wo wo!
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Some of best would be Angel, Third Watch, the old BSG theme, STAS, Knight Rider, and Farscape.

Some of the worst I got to say were DS9, VOY and ENT. I've only watched the complete opening to each of them once or so.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:Some of best would be Angel, Third Watch, the old BSG theme, STAS, Knight Rider, and Farscape.

Some of the worst I got to say were DS9, VOY and ENT. I've only watched the complete opening to each of them once or so.
You considered DS9 and Voy's music bad? I don't remember that much of DS9's opening, but I thought Voyager's music was fine. It was just a low orchestral song that gave the impression (with visuals) of a majestic or relaxed trip. Pretty much contrary with what you're supposed to feel probably, given the theme of the show... but the music, not the show is what we're judging.