SDN The gathering cards?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

And here's the second-edition version! :D

Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
lPeregrine
Jedi Knight

Post by lPeregrine »

Vicious wrote:It's no longer printed, "Removed from the game" is used now, IIRC. When you see "Bury X" read "Remove X from the game". Cannot be regenerated is different, as cards which are destroyed and cannot be regenerated are still sent to the graveyard and are subject to Raise Dead, etc as well as anything that looks at the graveyard. "Buried" means out of the game entirely. If I use Dark Banishing on your Shivan Dragon, he's gone. You can't reanimate him later, and he doesn't count towards your graveyard card count in the case of Threshold.

Edit: Look at Dark Banishing and Incinerate. One says Bury, one says Cannot be Regenerated, but they are cards which existed simultaneously. If I Incinerate something and it's killed, it goes into the graveyard without a chance to be regenerated. However, you can Raise Dead, Zombify, Death Denied, etc it next turn and bring it back into play/your hand.

However, if I Dark Banish something, it's gone completely. Poof! into nothingness. You can't regenerate it, and you also can't bring it back later, or count it as a card in your graveyard. You'd set it aside, face down, next to your graveyard.
Nope. The terms:

Destroy: place into graveyard, can be regenerated.

Destroy and can't be regenerated: like it says, into graveyard.

Bury: newer wording of "destroy and can't be regenerated", target goes into graveyard, but is still in the game and can be returned by other effects. It's the exact same effect, they just used a simpler wording, much like "unaffected by summoning sickness" became "haste".

Remove from game: remove from game completely, can not in any way be saved or brought back into the game.

Dark Banishing only buries the target. It goes into the graveyard like any other dead creature. Remove from game effects are much less common, Swords to Plowshares for example. Unless it clearly states on the card "remove from game", it just goes to the graveyard.

The reason Incinerate uses "can not be regenerated" is because it doesn't automatically kill the target like "bury" would. If the 3 damage + any other damage that turn doesn't kill it, the target survives.
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

lPeregrine wrote:
Vicious wrote:It's no longer printed, "Removed from the game" is used now, IIRC. When you see "Bury X" read "Remove X from the game". Cannot be regenerated is different, as cards which are destroyed and cannot be regenerated are still sent to the graveyard and are subject to Raise Dead, etc as well as anything that looks at the graveyard. "Buried" means out of the game entirely. If I use Dark Banishing on your Shivan Dragon, he's gone. You can't reanimate him later, and he doesn't count towards your graveyard card count in the case of Threshold.

Edit: Look at Dark Banishing and Incinerate. One says Bury, one says Cannot be Regenerated, but they are cards which existed simultaneously. If I Incinerate something and it's killed, it goes into the graveyard without a chance to be regenerated. However, you can Raise Dead, Zombify, Death Denied, etc it next turn and bring it back into play/your hand.

However, if I Dark Banish something, it's gone completely. Poof! into nothingness. You can't regenerate it, and you also can't bring it back later, or count it as a card in your graveyard. You'd set it aside, face down, next to your graveyard.
Nope. The terms:

Destroy: place into graveyard, can be regenerated.

Destroy and can't be regenerated: like it says, into graveyard.

Bury: newer wording of "destroy and can't be regenerated", target goes into graveyard, but is still in the game and can be returned by other effects. It's the exact same effect, they just used a simpler wording, much like "unaffected by summoning sickness" became "haste".

Remove from game: remove from game completely, can not in any way be saved or brought back into the game.

Dark banishing only buries the target. It goes into the graveyard like any other dead creature. Remove from game effects are much less common, Swords to Plowshares for example. Unless it clearly states on the card "remove from game", it just goes to the graveyard.
Really? I stand corrected, then. Everyone I've talked has said "Bury" meant "Remove from the game". Ok, thanks for the info. What was the purpose of distinguishing between "Bury X" like Dark Banishing and "Destroy X" ala Shatter?
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Hopefully this doesn't defy MtG's rules too mindbogglingly... Thanks for the intro and basics, Zentei. :)
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Any suggestions for a Darkstar flavor text?
Last edited by Noble Ire on 2005-09-25 05:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

2000AD
Creature, Average Creature

Tap to make opponent think of a number. If you guess number correctly then opponent loses 10 life.

Not named after the comic.

Represents how often i make a really meaningful contribution. If anyone else can think up something else...

Verilonitis
Enchantment

All creatures gain Summoning Sickness.
Bite!

Verilonitis Vaccination
Enchantment

Cancel Verilonitis in one character per moderator or admin you have.
Newbies, get your shots here

Name Change
Enchantment

Target creature cannot be the target for any more enchantments for rest of the turn and the enxt turn.
Wait, who's that guy?
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

For Darkstar There are four lights

Kellys pic Goblin Queen from Inferno
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Here's a cookie cutter Fundie for Vicious to play with:

Freddy the Fundie first appeared in this thread.

Please note: there's no such thing as an "Evilutionist." :D
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Hmmm, still not seeing one of me....perhaps i'll make my own card...with hookers and booze...actually forget the card...
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Typhonis 1 wrote:For Darkstar There are four lights

Kellys pic Goblin Queen from Inferno
I couldn't find any pics of that nature. Could you be a bit more specific?
Verilonitis
Hot pants? (I had to check Urban dictionary for this, apparently something before my time.) What pic would you recommend?

The Rift
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

Noble, that Name Change pic is gold!

Oh, thanks Wyrm! Now I have someone to actually affect! *roasts Freddy*
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Noble, that Name Change pic is gold!
It was mostly 2000AD's idea, I just put it together and found the pic. :wink:
Thanks anyways.
The Rift
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Black Mage,

Dangermouse
Jedi Knight

Post by Dangermouse »

These all look amazing. :)

What program is used to generate the templates?

Or do you copy an existing card and crop out the image and text?
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Dangermouse wrote:These all look amazing. :)

What program is used to generate the templates?

Or do you copy an existing card and crop out the image and text?
http://mtglair.de/editor.shtml
It's a really good program for this type of work. It has the templates for virtually every card on file, and its very easy to use.
The Rift
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Typhonis 1 wrote:http://www.greatestjournal.com/communit ... 18362.html

here is some pics...go with 1
Err, your original request post seems to have disappeared. What do you want on that card?
The Rift
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist

Post by Typhonis 1 »

you asked for an image for Kelly Antillies card thought to show you some
Black Mage,

Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Typhonis 1 wrote:you asked for an image for Kelly Antillies card thought to show you some
:?
No no, I meant that I couldn't find the original specs you posted for the card, and I wanted you to repost them.
The Rift
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Noble Ire wrote:Heres a few more (I reposted your's Cyran, oh, and sorceries can't have trample :P ):

Don't quote pictures.

~Z~

Cool!!

Now if someone could kindly explain what all this means I may be able to appreciate it more ;)

Thanks Noble Ire.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Honestly, the things I miss by being offline for a while. Well, being the old-school M:tG freak that I am, here's my card.
Any suggestions or tweaks welcome ;)

LadyTevar
2WWGG
Creature: (WhiteMage? ClericMage?)

Text: If Lady Tevar is in play, SirNitram gains +2/+0. If LadyTevar is removed from play, all BlackMages gain +2/+0 and Trample until end of opponent's next turn.

G(t): Add +2 to any attack made by a BlackMage
W(t): Redirect damage from any BlackMage to LadyTevar.
GW(t): Tevar's Hammer Strike. Target Male phases out for 2 turns.

(see the "truly vile" statement in my sig)
2/5
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Mrs Kendall wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:Heres a few more (I reposted your's Cyran, oh, and sorceries can't have trample :P ):

Don't quote pictures.

~Z~

Cool!!

Now if someone could kindly explain what all this means I may be able to appreciate it more ;)

Thanks Noble Ire.
i've no idea, but it sounds funky, eh?
Last edited by DocHorror on 2005-09-25 07:10pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Mrs Kendall wrote:Cool!!

Thanks Noble Ire.
Magic the Gathering is a complex card game, which uses cards similar to the ones which are being posted here. Apparently, the bulk of SD.netters have played this game (I have, too, but I was never very good at it, plus the only person who'd play me most of the time was a two-time junior regional champion at it who unapologetically kicked my ass).

The basic idea of the game is simple enough, though. Players get, IIRC, 21 life points to start off with, and must knock the other players down to 0 to win with various creatures and magic cards.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Oh Ok, Thanks

I was searching through the thread and saw that Lord Zentei had posted the whole idea a few pages in... I'll be reading that later when I have more time ;)

Thanks guys. Sorry for posting the question that keeps popping up ;)

Oh and if it hasn't been done already I'd like to see one for Cpl Kendall as well :teeth: If anyone feels like doing one of course ;)
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Two more of my own:

The Rift
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist

Post by Typhonis 1 »

TYB posted them on page three of this thread
Black Mage,