SDN The gathering cards?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Also, some the cards are just insanely powerful. The Lady Wong's card is just ridiculously powerful, for instance, and it's not even that expensive to play.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:You know I have to say, wouldn't it be a hoot to actually try and play a Magic game with these cards? Print them out all at standard size, past them to some spare land cards ((you can buy like a 100 for a buck, so no big waste))

Seriously, It would be a riot actually using them.. Combine all the cards of the SD.net members with the Ship and StarWars land/location cards from the other thread and you could have some serious Sillyness :lol:
Or a 3 way battle between my sci-fi cards, Lord Zentei Magical Politicians and the magic-destroyer cards (my name for this set).

I am not sure who would win. My spaceships are very powerful and in some cases under prised. The set has a lot of unity and less odd ball stuff than the magic-destroyer but there are a few very powerful cards in this set.
Last edited by Glimmervoid on 2005-10-01 05:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

It would be interesting to see your 'Balanced' set of Pure StarWars cards up against the SD.net cards. I agree your set actually looks like some sort of wierd Sci-Fi expansion to the original Magic card game. While the SD.net cards, well, are rather odd, but certainly a hoot to see in action :D

Hm... Really, I know a place where you buy hundreds of odd magic land cards on the cheap... Got to get me access to a colour printer.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Has anyone made a card for Einy yet? That I'd like to see. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Zaia wrote:Has anyone made a card for Einy yet? That I'd like to see. :D
I was thinking about that.

What would a card have to do to qualify as a "Purple" card? It's in that MtG card maker program.

EDIT:

That's all I got thus far. A WIP to be sure.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Trogdor wrote:Also, some the cards are just insanely powerful. The Lady Wong's card is just ridiculously powerful, for instance, and it's not even that expensive to play.
I think that was the point. :lol:

Last time I checked these were not meant to be taken seriously, as in cards that would be used in an actual game, you know.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

RogueIce wrote:
Zaia wrote:Has anyone made a card for Einy yet? That I'd like to see. :D
I was thinking about that.

What would a card have to do to qualify as a "Purple" card? It's in that MtG card maker program.

EDIT:

<einy card>

That's all I got thus far. A WIP to be sure.
Einy needs a potent Rangestrike to represent the railgun:

<tap>: Deal 3 damage to target attacking or blocking creature.

Also:

<tap>: Place a "Closet Case" counter on target Fundamentalist. That card's controller must pay <1> per "Closet Case" counter on it in order to untap it.

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

What do you think? Any Suggestions?
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
I'm talking about a trained monkey.
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Davis 51 wrote:http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/ ... avis51.jpg

* Make it a Legendary Creature.
* Blue creatures (with blue backgrounds) use only blue mana and colourless mana to cast. If you want a multicolour creature, use a gold background.
* The Tap power is, like, ungodly powerful. As it the counter thing, since it is cumulative...
* Needs to be more expensive in even without a toned down tap power.

Ah, the point I made earlier regarding these cards not being serious suddenly springs to mind. But what may apply to Lady Wong does not neccesarily apply to your run of the mill Otaku, so pfft. :P

Change the tap power to "<t><u><u>: deal 2 damage to target creature or player" or "<t>: deal 1 damage to target creature or player".

Change the counter power to "as long as your opponent controls a Leet Speak <this> gains +1/+1". Not cumulative that way, you see.

Cost: 3 coloured mana, 2 colourless. You can loose one colourless mana if you make it a multicolour.
Last edited by Lord Zentei on 2005-10-01 10:32pm, edited 4 times in total.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

As I recall, with multi-color land cost like that, you need to make the card gold (multicolor), not blue.
Lord Zentai wrote:Einy needs a potent Rangestrike to represent the railgun:

Also:

<tap>: Place a "Closet Case" counter on target Fundamentalist. That card's controller must pay <1> per "Closet Case" counter on it in order to untap it.
What about mana cost? Can I put in anything or does it have to be special to warrant the purple background?

EDIT: Updated Ein card.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

RogueIce wrote:
Lord Zentai wrote:Einy needs a potent Rangestrike to represent the railgun:

Also:

What about mana cost? Can I put in anything or does it have to be special to warrant the purple background?

EDIT: Updated Ein card.
Rule of thumb:

Usually, the mana cost for a 1/1 creature, possibly with a minor or respectable special ability is 1 mana with colour, or two colourless mana.

Add 1 mana per +1/+1. Half of these can be colourless. If you use only colourless mana, add 50% to this cost. If the above ability was powerful add one or more colourless mana.

Pay for extra abilities. The rangestrike should probalby cost 1 colourless mana per point of damage. Abilities that are customized for special types of opponent will be less expensive, particularly if that type of opponent is rare. "Mass produced" token creatures usually cost three times the amount (so a 1/1 token would cost 3 mana), creatures that last until end of turn cost one third the amount.

Note: this is a rule of thumb, not ironclad. I'd do a more rigorous analysis for this if I had my cards with me in my appartment instead of in an attic half an ocean away. ;) But it suffices.

For the Ein card, this will be pretty hefty cost: Lets say you make him red. The cost would then be:

RRR1 for the basic cost and the one special ability. Add +3 for the rangestrike. Total: RRR4.

If you make him a Red creature, you may get away with the purple background as a joke, though he'll still count as red, ruleswise.

EDIT: I have usually "winged it" rather than go all nitpicky with the cards I've posted here (not to mention the Magical Politicians cards which were intended as a joke), though they'll usually be relatively close. I think.

EDIT 2: Fixed a miswording in the rule of thumb.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Noble Ire, thanks for remaking my card.

Though I should mention, I deliberately made myself a Legendary Layabout Creature. This was because everyone else was being a legendary creature, and it reflects my own obscurity. :)
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

RogueIce wrote:What would a card have to do to qualify as a "Purple" card? It's in that MtG card maker program.
Oh that's right, you guys are using a layout program to make these. I was hoping there'd be some rainbow action somewhere on his card. Ah well. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Davis 51
Jedi Master
Location: In that box, in that tiny corner in your garage, with my laptop, living off Dogfood and Diet Pepsi.

Post by Davis 51 »

Lord Zentei wrote:

* Make it a Legendary Creature.
* Blue creatures (with blue backgrounds) use only blue mana and colourless mana to cast. If you want a multicolour creature, use a gold background.
* The Tap power is, like, ungodly powerful. As it the counter thing, since it is cumulative...
* Needs to be more expensive in even without a toned down tap power.

Ah, the point I made earlier regarding these cards not being serious suddenly springs to mind. But what may apply to Lady Wong does not neccesarily apply to your run of the mill Otaku, so pfft. :P

Change the tap power to "<t><u><u>: deal 2 damage to target creature or player" or "<t>: deal 1 damage to target creature or player".

Change the counter power to "as long as your opponent controls a Leet Speak <this> gains +1/+1". Not cumulative that way, you see.

Cost: 3 coloured mana, 2 colourless. You can loose one colourless mana if you make it a multicolour.
Noted. I'll get to work on it.
Brains!
"I would ask if the irony of starting a war to spread democracy while ignoring public opinion polls at home would occur to George W. Bush, but then I check myself and realize that
"-Darth Wong
"All I ever got was "evil liberal commie-nazi". Yes, he called me a communist nazi."-DPDarkPrimus
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Zaia wrote:
RogueIce wrote:What would a card have to do to qualify as a "Purple" card? It's in that MtG card maker program.
Oh that's right, you guys are using a layout program to make these. I was hoping there'd be some rainbow action somewhere on his card. Ah well. :D
To clarify my earlier post: The purple card is for custom cards. Spells, including summonings will have the colour of the mana used to cast them, and there is no purple mana. But for Einy we can make an exception. ;)

YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

The Einy card is hilarious. "BOOOOING!!" :lol:

I wonder what Robert Walper's card would have looked like, had be still been with us?
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Zaia wrote:

Closest I can make it.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I think when he says 'Rainbow' he means the Gay Pride colours, which shouldn't be too hard to make as the background for a card.. Shoot a lot of us would have those :wink:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

For Davis card, the ability should be black/blue plus tap (it fits the scheme beter and makes the ability balanced cost) and he should be a 1/2 or at 1 colorless and make him a 2/2. He should die to even weak DD or cost more.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

RogueIce wrote:Closest I can make it.
That's fantastic! Nice work! :D
Davis 51
Jedi Master

Post by Davis 51 »

How about this: I changed the background ( :oops: ), and gave it mroe mana cost. Then, I changed it so the counters don't give extra power, but are still cumulative, so I modified the powers slightly. I also took first strike off.

If this still seems too powerful, let me know! If there are no more suggestions, I'll put this in the completed pics thread.
These are quite fun to make!
Brains!
"-Darth Wong
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Here's some I made for another board. Luckily, to make this kinda on topic one of them shares a name with a member here.

Disclaimer: I can't make any of those nice energy Icons, and I've never played magic, so they're utterly unbalanced. Except no. 2 That's just fine.

Trouble
I love this card
Me, on another board
Smiting for goodness!
Alas...

Commentss, except on their utter unplayability, welcomed
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Davis 51 wrote:How about this: I changed the background ( :oops: ), and gave it mroe mana cost. Then, I changed it so the counters don't give extra power, but are still cumulative, so I modified the powers slightly. I also took first strike off.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/ ... 51MKII.jpg

If this still seems too powerful, let me know! If there are no more suggestions, I'll put this in the completed pics thread.
These are quite fun to make!
Well, actually, since you took out the First Strike and a toned down the abilities so that you don't get extra strength and toughness, it may even be a mite too expensive. :P

Also, those two powers seem very similar.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Time to fix a glaring oversight:

:luv: :D

EDIT: Updated pic.