Best and worst TV show theme music

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

charben
Youngling

Post by charben »

I wholeheartedly agree with Darth Wong's OP--original BSG had awesome music for television. I jumped at the chance to get the 4-disk set of the entire season's music, although its cost at the time was around $50.

I also agree that B5 Crusade's music was godawful. The composer was Evan Chen, and I hated the minimalist techno feel of it. Chris Franke's B5 scores were much better.

I also love the opening titles to Stargate SG-1 and SG Atlantis, Gargoyles, ST TNG and DS9, and the new Dr. Who main titles.

For worst themes, I would like to second the horridness of ST Enterprise. I also found the Voyager main theme boring, even though I am a big fan of Jerry Goldsmith (may he rest in peace).

I'm a huge film and TV score fan/collector, so this is a topic that definately caught my eye. Most of my CD collection is film/TV scores.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Pick wrote:Oh, I also love the Dr. Who theme (all versions I've heard from the old episodes I've seen.)

Wo woo woooOOOOooo wo wo wo!
I loved the Dr. Who theme but the show itself used to creep the hell out of me. I'm trying to remember how old I was when I first saw it and I'm guessing maybe 6 to 9?
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

charben wrote:I jumped at the chance to get the 4-disk set of the entire season's music, although its cost at the time was around $50.
Woah, they released one of those? :shock:

I must have it!

I got the Seaquest CD, but it was pretty disappointing; a lot of great music didn't make it onto the CD in favor of more mediocre music. I hope someday someone has the bright idea of releasing a full compilation of the first season's music.

As for B5 Crusade: the music, especially at the beginning, reminded me very much of the music from an old MicroProse adventure game titled Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender, back when most game sounds and music was synthesized and digitized music was HOLY SHIT THIS IS SO COOL THEY'RE *TALKING* TO ME!!!
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Best for me would be the 70s version of the Doctor Who theme.

Worst would be the one for K-9 and Company.
charben
Youngling

Post by charben »

Uranium, yes the old BSG series score set was released several years ago by Duchess Music Corp as a "promo" set. It was produced and assembled by a famous film music collector Ford Thaxton. It is OOP now unfortunately. I was lucky and found mine while they were still in normal circulation. EBAY may be your best bet to find one. Retail was around $40 IIRC at time of release. I'm sure it's higher now on the second hand market.

Good luck trying to track down a copy.
charben
Youngling

Post by charben »

Ghetto edit--sorry, $50 at time of release, IIRC.
Dorenn Stark
Padawan Learner

Post by Dorenn Stark »

Best: Miami Vice, 21 Jump Street, A-Team, Knight Rider, Sledge Hammer.

Worst: L.A. Law, Roseanne, ALF, Three's Company.
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Pick wrote:Oh, I also love the Dr. Who theme (all versions I've heard from the old episodes I've seen.)

Wo woo woooOOOOooo wo wo wo!
You're a woman after my own heart! The original BBC Radiophonic Workshop versions and the orchestral versions of the Doctor Who theme rock!

In contrast, the Peter Davison through Sylvester McCoy versions sucked donkey balls. Also sucking was the theme music to Hee Haw. ARRGH!
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Best- The Munsters.

Worst- I'll jump on the banwagon with Enterprise, as well. Just awful. :x
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Law & Order's theme music grows on you after a while.

The original CSI's theme was just a case of a perfect choice.

24's full theme is never played during the show, but it's on the soundtrack and very well-done.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

The theme from Buffy by IIRC Nerf Herder just plain rules. If your not itching to play air guitar while listening to this there is something missing from your soul.

The worst is the theme from King of the Hill just annoys me for some unknown reason.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Lord Pounder wrote:The worst is the theme from King of the Hill just annoys me for some unknown reason.
That show in general annoys me.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

VR Troopers. I never thought variations on "We are VR!" could be catchy....

Ashamedly, I enjoy the Walker, Texas Ranger opening theme(yes, the one where he SINGS. Shut up....).

And.... well..... most PR themes. But that's me and my fanboyness there, likely.....
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar