Musical Orgasm?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Musical Orgasm?

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Is it me or is that climatic build-up in the Death of Isolde from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde very reminiscent of an orgasm?

Also, is it only me, or does anyone ever get fully immersed in the music when that part comes (no pun intended)? It is very rare for me to get totally engaged into the music at a single point consistently, but whenever I listen to this track while doing other things on the computer I have to just stop whatever I'm doing or thinking and surrender myself totally to the music. And I'm also a total and complete sucker for wanting, craving that musical climax.

When I hear the build-up, I keep preparing myself mentally and physically to hear that climax. I'll start to get goosebumps all over my body, and then I fall into that temporary lull before it starts up again. Frustrated, I'm left craving for more. In the second build-up, I start shivering again and when I finally hear the climax, I just sit there in awe.

This is the only piece of music that has ever had this sort of effect on me. Sure, there is that last powerful series of chords of Bach's Tocata and Fugue which make it one of the most kick-ass endings ever. There is Liszt's brilliant Norma Rhapsody, where I marvel at the complexity of the music while at the same time am put into a somber emotional state by the themes of Bellini. But by far there is nothing else I have ever heard that has overpowered me in this fashion. Wagner's ability to dominate my emotions in this way is remarkable.

Anyone else have similar feelings about this or other music?
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Every time I hear the Isle of Wight live version of "Red House" by Jimi Hendrix, I get the chills every time I hear the 2nd guitar solo, and I when he hits the high notes I get all teared up and after that I have this wonderful feeling of relief. I really don't know what it is, but it is amazing blues that just goes straight to my heart.

edit: my GF's moans when she orgasmed last night were rather musical as well. :D
Last edited by aerius on 2005-10-10 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

Come to think of it, that climactic build-up in "Death of Isolde" being similar to an orgasm is probably not unintentional on Wagner's part. I think the first time I heard that piece, it gave me shivers. Same with Gotterdammerung by Wagner.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

All the time.
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Sometimes I do. And crescendos are a very powerful way of inducing that. I mostly listen to piano music, and I get that feeling in some pieces by Chopin. There's an etude of his that, near the end, has big, powerful, sweeping chords and scales, and they're in contrary motion, which sort of doubles the effect. And Chopin is the master of the musical hairpin turn, so he brings the two hands closer together without much warning, and that's just... wow.

I need to get this Wagner track that you're talking about!
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

So far I've found this. It's a streamed broadcast of a performance, but the version I have is instrumental only; there is no opera singer. Maybe it's just me, but I think the soprano only adds clutter to the music.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand times, Barber's Adagio.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

SyntaxVorlon wrote:I'll say it once, I'll say it a thousand times, Barber's Adagio.
When it's not played by a high school string ensemble. Damn, we sucked.

As to the topic: yes, I have often noted the similarity between a sexual climax and a musical climax. The second movement of the Eroica Symphony (Beethoven) comes to mind; so does the Violin Concerto in E (Bach).
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

That's what keeps me going back to classical music... if you explore deep enough, all the great composers are capable of just playing with your emotions, introducing moments of sublime magic.

My favourite example of this is Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto. The first time I listened to it, I was just doing something else, but the music just caught me and wouldn't let go. At the climax of the piece near the end of the 3rd movement, I get a 'musical orgasm'.

If you're interested in this subject, a good book to check out is Music and the Mind by Anthony Storr.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Saurencaerthai wrote:All the time.
Same here, except with 'Bolero' it's more obvious to me than with most others.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Zaia wrote:Same here, except with 'Bolero' it's more obvious to me than with most others.
A wise man once shared this tip with me. Have sex to Boléro. The length is just about right for a decent session, and if you time it right you climax when it climaxes. :)
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
ntstlkr
Youngling

Post by ntstlkr »

Same for 1812. That score was just made for fireworks and rockets. Probably why it's so popular for the 4th of July celebrations. The guns going off signaling the beginning of the climax (no pun intended either).
Pretty moving piece.
"Heart grow Stronger, Will is Firm, Mind more Calm, as our Strength lessons..."
Battle of Malden, 991 AD
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Ooooh, it happens a lot, the main one of the moment is from When Humanity Is Cancer by Anaal Nathrakh. Godless, when the fast bit returns to the main riff, and then there's the bridgy bit of the bass sans guitar, then the guy screams again... it's so good. You just listen to it and feel like a fucking evil god.

Same thing with Puritania by Dimmu, and a similar thing with Hall of the mountain king, one of the greatest songs of all time. And oh man, Spiritual Holocaust by Hate eternal, the start of that song is just sexual. Castrum Doloris by Marduk is their finest song, in my opinion. Ramses, Bringer of War, the Nile take on Holst's song, oh man, again, it jsut makes you feel like God.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
WyrdNyrd
Jedi Knight

Post by WyrdNyrd »

You scare me.
ntstlkr
Youngling

Post by ntstlkr »

Rye wrote:Ooooh, it happens a lot, the main one of the moment is from When Humanity Is Cancer by Anaal Nathrakh. Godless, when the fast bit returns to the main riff, and then there's the bridgy bit of the bass sans guitar, then the guy screams again... it's so good. You just listen to it and feel like a fucking evil god.

Same thing with Puritania by Dimmu, and a similar thing with Hall of the mountain king, one of the greatest songs of all time. And oh man, Spiritual Holocaust by Hate eternal, the start of that song is just sexual. Castrum Doloris by Marduk is their finest song, in my opinion. Ramses, Bringer of War, the Nile take on Holst's song, oh man, again, it jsut makes you feel like God.
LOL, for an "old school rock" feel like that just listen to the Doors. The End is great for building up an almost palpable murderous evil grinning feel, :twisted:

Classically, Mars Bringer of War is powerful, as is Jupiter too, from Holst. I have an affinity for Neptune, the Mystic however.

Although not "classical", and mildly rememniscient of Holst's Mars, Zimmerman's battle theme for Gladiator uses the same kind of musical structure to bring about the same feeling of build up to crescendo.

Back to Wagner, the part used for Excaliber is perfect. Goterdamerung(?) I think mentioned previously.
"Heart grow Stronger, Will is Firm, Mind more Calm, as our Strength lessons..."
Battle of Malden, 991 AD