Bit torrent clients

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Bit torrent clients

Post by PainRack »

As everyone knows, there's a delurge of torrent clients out there.

So, I'm sorta interested which client would you recommend? I'm personally using Azereus, although I been experimentating with Bit Comet........

So far, I'm more used to Azereus and I'm find that its easier to look at data like peers, swarm and so on using that client as opposed to Comet, but then, a lot of people I know recommend Comet because it supposedly has a low CPU rate and ignores the problems of java versions.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I tend to use BitTornado myself. It has a nice, simple clean interface, consumes relatively low amounts of CPU usage, and does its job fairly well. It's also not java-based, which makes it less buggy.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

I like Azureus, dosn't bug out for me, stable, easy to use.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

I use ABC.

It crashes like a mother, usually when clicking on a torrent link when ABC is already running. The problem always comes from python.dll.
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

I too use BitTornado.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

TorrentStorm has always worked fine for me. A simple interface, everything in a nice list, nothing wasted. Though, it does slow your Internet connection down noticably.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Azureus. It might take a fairly big bite out of my RAM (80MB to 170MB), but that isn't really a problem when I have 1.5GB of it to spare (I play Medal of Honor Pacific Assault fine even while it runs in the background), and any CPU usage is virtually non-existant as far as I can tell.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Post by Bertie Wooster »

I use Bittornado too. Although, in a few instances, BitTornado didn't work but I was able to get BitLord to work.
RedWizard
Youngling

Post by RedWizard »

I also use BitTornado.
"Let's *spitting* the fun words for several *pieces* and then surprising things!!!"
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I use Azureus. People complain about its resource use but 64 meg or so out of half a gig really isn't a big deal to me.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

General Zod wrote:I tend to use BitTornado myself. It has a nice, simple clean interface, consumes relatively low amounts of CPU usage, and does its job fairly well. It's also not java-based, which makes it less buggy.
Don't be stupid. Being written in Java doesn't make something more buggy. It makes it slower and uglier.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

Post by Sharpshooter »

Durandal wrote:Don't be stupid. Being written in Java doesn't make something more buggy. It makes it slower and uglier.
Like Runescape, I keep telling the idiots over at Gaia gaming. But do they listen? NoooOOOooo...

But on-topic, I use BitComet. It seems to work just fine, I've only had one major problem (which was when I was searching a torrent site, to be honest, so it was probably an exterior failure) and it seems simple to use. True, I can't really play an MMO when it's running - but I can just leave it running as I sleep, so it's sort of a moot point.

Really, the only fault I find with it is the universal problem that nobody seeds or shares the downloads I'm looking at...
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Durandal wrote:
General Zod wrote:I tend to use BitTornado myself. It has a nice, simple clean interface, consumes relatively low amounts of CPU usage, and does its job fairly well. It's also not java-based, which makes it less buggy.
Don't be stupid. Being written in Java doesn't make something more buggy. It makes it slower and uglier.
Eh, the SWT widgets that Azureus uses don't look that bad... the default Java Swing ones do... (although you can change it). As for bugs, if anything, garbage collection reduces bugs. Java still sucks though. :P

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Another user of BitTornado here, though I've heard good things about BitComet and Azureus. Those three seem to be the main alternate clients, so I'm sure you'd do fine with one of them.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

Bittornado all the way.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Originally used the base Bit torrent client, then moved over to BitTornado. After we got our DSL connection and router at home, BitComet was recommended when I didn't want to go through hoops with our router software, instead just using a client that worked with the router. Plus BitComet has some swell user features.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Re: Bit torrent clients

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

PainRack wrote:So far, I'm more used to Azereus and I'm find that its easier to look at data like peers, swarm and so on using that client as opposed to Comet, but then, a lot of people I know recommend Comet because it supposedly has a low CPU rate and ignores the problems of java versions.
I'm playing with BitComet. I only have 192MB of RAM on my laptop, so I have to be careful. Anyway, BitComet is the first client I used where I can actually get some real work done while the Torrents are running. If it continues to behave well for another little while, Azureus goes into the drain.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Judging from similar polls in other forums, I'm apparently the only Shareaza user in the world, or at least the only one who will admit to it.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Shareaza was fine, except it was too slow for me.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |