DS WiFi connection menu screens!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Max
Jedi Knight

DS WiFi connection menu screens!

Post by Max »

Has there been anything as simple as this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apreche/sets/1139761/show/

Love it. Adore it. Embrace it.

Just a month to go guys!!
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Wow, network settings, for a toy!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You know, after the first six months of no releases, so support, etc, I sold my DS. I lost AU$50 on the deal, but hey.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Well, isn't that because the video game market in Australia pretty much blows?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Post by Laird »

Good, with DS Linux coming along, soon my DS will be a PDA aswell.(with net access)
"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

I'm just waiting till I can start ass stomping people in Mario Kart.
"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

They haven't even release Meteos down here - that's how shit Nintendo is treating their customers.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Stark wrote:You know, after the first six months of no releases, so support, etc, I sold my DS. I lost AU$50 on the deal, but hey.
Wasn't a good decision, with 3-4 online games being released in November alone and a half dozen before the end of 2005.

In fact almost every major game release for the DS is scheduled for November.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Praxis wrote:
Stark wrote:You know, after the first six months of no releases, so support, etc, I sold my DS. I lost AU$50 on the deal, but hey.
Wasn't a good decision, with 3-4 online games being released in November alone and a half dozen before the end of 2005.

Praxis, you're forgetting the fact that the video/computer game market in Australia is completely retarded.
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Praxis, you're forgetting the fact that the video/computer game market in Australia is completely retarded.
The Netherlands can easily fit onto the state of Victoria multiple times, yet it only has 20% less population than the whole of Australia (IIRC, 16 million vs 20 million). At least now and then (but very rarely) we actually do get some games before the US, e.g. "Another Code: Two Memories"/"Trace Memory".
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

Only wep autentication in the DS?

It really need WPA!
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

weemadando wrote:They haven't even release Meteos down here - that's how shit Nintendo is treating their customers.
And this is why I'm glad that the Nintendo DS doesn't have any stupid region lockout. DS games are surprisingly cheap to import, and I'll gladly pay an extra $10 at Burn to get it same day as the US release, rather than waiting 6 months plus.

EDIT: So much for $10 extra. For fucks sake, when Castlevania is cheaper for the import copy than it is for a local copy...that's just wrong.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Praxis wrote: Wasn't a good decision, with 3-4 online games being released in November alone and a half dozen before the end of 2005.

I'm not paying AU$200 for a paperweight, just hoping maybe Nintendo will release something one day. Oh wait, I already did: never used the damn thing anyway. Too large to be an effective PDA, anyway.

While Spanky is correct, I've been keeping one eye on the net. Six months till decent releases? Fuck that in it's stupid asshole.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Even if it is that long until we start to get official releases of the latest games, with imports easily available here in BrisVegas (Burn's bricks and mortar storefront is in the Valley), and plenty of good official releases already out, what's your problem exactly?

Okay, so the current games don't have the WiFi connectivity the games coming out in 6 months or next month via import have...so what?
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Archaic` wrote:Even if it is that long until we start to get official releases of the latest games, with imports easily available here in BrisVegas (Burn's bricks and mortar storefront is in the Valley), and plenty of good official releases already out, what's your problem exactly?

Okay, so the current games don't have the WiFi connectivity the games coming out in 6 months or next month via import have...so what?
The only reasons to buy Australian versions of DS games rather than imports that I can think of are:
a) Supporting Nintendo's market in Australia.
b) Finding a reliable and affordable importer.
c) Multiplayer (in)compatibility between US and Australian versions.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Praxis wrote:

Praxis, you're forgetting the fact that the video/computer game market in Australia is completely retarded.
Good point, although import costs are very low with the DS. I know lots of people who import Japanese games for example.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Praxis wrote:

That's not a very big surprise, considering videogame companies usually have their biggest sales during the holiday seasons.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Archaic` wrote:Even if it is that long until we start to get official releases of the latest games, with imports easily available here in BrisVegas (Burn's bricks and mortar storefront is in the Valley), and plenty of good official releases already out, what's your problem exactly?

I wasn't talking about AU releases: I sold my DS four or five months ago (before last semester finals, anyway), and in the time I had it all I saw was Lik-Sang fill up with 'preorders' or 'coming soons'. Bah.
Laird

Post by Laird »

Loner wrote:I'm just waiting till I can start ass stomping people in Mario Kart.
I'll see you online on Nov 12.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

I might see you on November 12th as well, assuming they have a rear view button in Mario Kart.
Laird

Post by Laird »

Praxis wrote:I might see you on November 12th as well, assuming they have a rear view button in Mario Kart.
I'll see you at the finish line.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

When you finally reach me :P

(I'm going to look so stupid when I lose after this :oops: )
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Lord of the Farce wrote: a) Supporting Nintendo's market in Australia.
b) Finding a reliable and affordable importer.
c) Multiplayer (in)compatibility between US and Australian versions.
I have to admit, a is a problem, but as for b and c....I just linked to a reliable and affordable importer, and c is a non-issue. DS games are worldwide compatible for multiplayer, something you can thank the WiFi network for. A good deal of Nintendo 1st party GBA games are also worldwide compatible, Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald being perhaps the most notable example.
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I look forward to seeing all you guys stomping me Nov. 12. Assuming I can find a way to get online(I know they'll have something to plug into your comp, but don't know how well it'll work with 56k, and know very little about wireless networks and connectivity)
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Don't tell me they don't have McDonalds in your area...

Oh wait, did no one post it here?

http://cube.ign.com/articles/659/659020p1.html

McDonalds will be installing hotspots specificly for the DS (no passwords or payments required like with Starbucks; apparently you can't go online with Starbucks' wireless because you have to pay, and of course, the DS doesn't have a browser which you need on the pay-for-access networks) that are freely available for use.